Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I'm on my second iPhone 6 and the problems still exist what type of hardware problems would cause the problems I am experiencing? When you updated to 8.1 did you experience wi-if problems that so many users had? I for one didn't have them problems and that was down too iOS. So how can you make the above statement?

I genuinely have not had any problems with iOS 8 at all, wi-fi was fine etc.

I acually wondered at the time if people had some settings wrong with their router.

I can make the above statement as a software problem should be experienced by all users on the same platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

murpho999 wrote: »
    I can make the above statement as a software problem should be experienced by all users on the same platform.

Bugs in software can manifest themselves in a variety of ways, through various permutations of settings, usage, network conditions, etc. Not all software behaves the same way, even on the exact same hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Agree with Vinny, tons of issues could be causing this, iCloud has opened a ton of variance in the OS. Also timezone, 12 vs 24 hour clocks, daylight savings times also cause huge issues with apps. Even different region settings, different languages what if the user is using a language that's right to left instead of the english left to right?

if anything the software is much more likely source of bugs than any hardware is, it's all too easy to say, well my iOS seems to be working fine there must be no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Someone from Apple to actually skim over the Beta version for a day or two before releasing it to 100s of thousands of people? :-/

Ffs man you have no business downloading a beta.

It's not any of Apps to name but a few....

One of the most annoying bugs in iOS 8 is with safari if I have a web page open and use another app when I go back to Safari it shows me an image of a web page that I was looking at months ago it only happens for about 2 or 3 seconds but it's so annoying.

Screen lag when switching the phone on.

Music still plays when I answer a call.

Volume control icon will not remove from the screen phone must be powered on/off everytime this happens.

When copying and pasting the cursor and magnifying glass will not appear.

Phone freezes from time to time when using multitasking.

Copy and paste will not remove from the screen it takes several attempts before it removes.

Previous camera image stays on when opening up the camera App like a shadow.

Battery usage stats clear when the phone is powered off.

Most of the above happen every day on my Air 2 and iPhone 6 I have done all the usual hard resets and set up new phone etc.

I have had every edition of iPhone and used all iOS versions and I can honestly say that iOS 8 is by far the worst of all the iOS versions.

Some of those bugs are very odd. Music stopping when the phone starts has worked for me since the 1st gen. I do see the copy/paste getting stuck though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I know it's only beta 1 but I don't know why they have released a beta 9 when so many bugs still exist in 8.3 Apple have regressed with the last couple of versions of iOS.

It usually comes down to priority. Functional issues are usually prioritised above UI, unless it impacts the user significantly. I logged a minor UI issue with Apple that I saw probably back as far as iOS 6, which didn't get fixed until recently in iOS8.
    I ran into a couple of bugs when iOS8 came out which are still reproducible in the latest code, where the wrong folder opens up when moving apps around, and another where everything disappears from the screen leaving only the wallpaper displayed, but I don't expect them to fix these any time soon because they're slightly edge case, despite being a pretty poor user experience.

But I'd definitely agree; overall, iOS is becoming more and more buggy but it's understandable as software gets more features and becomes more complex.
    One of the most annoying bugs in iOS 8 is with safari if I have a web page open and use another app when I go back to Safari it shows me an image of a web page that I was looking at months ago it only happens for about 2 or 3 seconds but it's so annoying.

Previous camera image stays on when opening up the camera App like a shadow.

I also experience these daily; UI issues that would be considered pretty low priority which is likely the reason they've gone unresolved for a while.

As others have said, software is the cause for the vast majority of bugs as opposed to hardware. I test software for a living and run into all kinds of weird and wonderful bugs which are a direct result of a user's settings. As Creamy Goodness says, regional settings, timezone, and locale can all play havoc with software.

I'd like to give iOS9 a try, but without a spare device to install it on, I wouldn't chance it on my primary device.

My guess is iOS 9 will be very stable on release. That's the point of this release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Some of those bugs are very odd. Music stopping when the phone starts has worked for me since the 1st gen. I do see the copy/paste getting stuck though.

And it's worked for me with all other iOS version with the exception of iOS 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

It usually comes down to priority. Functional issues are usually prioritised above UI, unless it impacts the user significantly. I logged a minor UI issue with Apple that I saw probably back as far as iOS 6, which didn't get fixed until recently in iOS8.
    I ran into a couple of bugs when iOS8 came out which are still reproducible in the latest code, where the wrong folder opens up when moving apps around, and another where everything disappears from the screen leaving only the wallpaper displayed, but I don't expect them to fix these any time soon because they're slightly edge case, despite being a pretty poor user experience.

But I'd definitely agree; overall, iOS is becoming more and more buggy but it's understandable as software gets more features and becomes more complex.

I also experience these daily; UI issues that would be considered pretty low priority which is likely the reason they've gone unresolved for a while.

As others have said, software is the cause for the vast majority of bugs as opposed to hardware. I test software for a living and run into all kinds of weird and wonderful bugs which are a direct result of a user's settings. As Creamy Goodness says, regional settings, timezone, and locale can all play havoc with software.

I'd like to give iOS9 a try, but without a spare device to install it on, I wouldn't chance it on my primary device.

That's the funny things about these bugs my setting are the same for every iPhone I've owned but for some reason or another they have manifestsed for me in iOS 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've the 6 and Air 2 and I don't have any of those issues bar one, where multitasking will show old app thumbnails from a while back but this is random and happens every now and then. Once or twice every few months max.

The only main bug I've had with iOS 8 and it's been there since I first updated and I've no idea how to get rid of it relates to the App Store.

After I update an app via iTunes on the Mac and then sync both devices to iTunes it will update the apps but the AppStore on both devices will still show updates as available even though they are up to date. Beside the names will be an 'open' button instead of the normal 'update' so they have definitely been synced onto the device. It will work properly if I download the apps directly on the device but I usually update though iTunes so it's kind of annoying.

I've submitted the bug to Apple and looked online but found no solution. Hopefully iOS 9 will fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

DubDJ wrote: »
    I've the 6 and Air 2 and I don't have any of those issues bar one, where multitasking will show old app thumbnails from a while back but this is random and happens every now and then. Once or twice every few months max.

Thats been a bug since at least iOS 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Doge wrote: »
    Thats been a bug since at least iOS 7.

I remember seeing Safari showing a cached snapshot of a page way back around iOS 3 or something. I think it's just how multitasking works on iOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Guys in iOS 9 does the network appear in the top left? I went roaming it changed to just- iPhone - no biggie just wondering is it just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

What about safari? Does the bookmarks tab area stay open on the left after you click on a bookmark? Is the bookmark icon still on the left on iPad. Whoever came up with that needs their head checked. Steve wouldn't have allowed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

efb wrote: »
    Guys in iOS 9 does the network appear in the top left? I went roaming it changed to just- iPhone - no biggie just wondering is it just me

Seems to be a glitch in the beta.

What about safari? Does the bookmarks tab area stay open on the left after you click on a bookmark? Is the bookmark icon still on the left on iPad. Whoever came up with that needs their head checked. Steve wouldn't have allowed it.

You mean when you go to add a bookmark? Yeah, very annoying. Icon still on left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Have they fixed the upload issues with iCloud Photo Library I wonder?

Beta 2 is now out. I might give it a go and see if my crashing apps are fixed with b2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Zcott wrote: »
    Beta 2 is now out. I might give it a go and see if my crashing apps are fixed with b2.

Plex is still broken for me. Much less taxing on my battery though I think

Zcott wrote: »

Just installed it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's very good but I wonder does it give a choice of what apps to delete or will it only pick ones that are backed up to iCloud Drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Updated 6Plus & battery drain issue is no longer an issue for me. Left over night at 100% & woke 7 hours later on 97%.

Apparently the content blocker toggle has been removed for beta 2...shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Safe to update to Beta 2 without a developer ID?

Safe to update to Beta 2 without a developer ID?

Yeah. I did OTA from b1 to 2 on my iPad Air, skipped beta 1 on my iPhone because of battery issues, beta 2 seems to have sorted that so I installed beta 2 on my iPhone this morning. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Great battery life and improvement in performance considring it is only Beta 2, cant wait to see final version.
    iPhone 6 plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I dont suppose their is an option in IOS9 to set the default keyboard to the dark version of the stock keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

When is ios9 due out officially?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Probably September.

Advertisement