Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Dear Iggy Azalea, Can You Not?' (Huffington Post article)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

joollyparo wrote: »
    American and their rap issues again, it's just music for God sake!!

Debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

kneemos wrote: »
    Rapture sounds suspiciously like rap.

That's kind of the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I reckon people should be allowed to play whatever music they want and adopt any style they want, but we also get to take the pi55 out of them for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

kowloon wrote: »
    I reckon people should be allowed to play whatever music they want and adopt any style they want, but we also get to take the pi55 out of them for doing so.

Nope, that's "insert term here"-ist I'm afraid. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Kev W wrote: »
    There is. It's called Television.

Why do black people need a TV station dedicated to black people ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

smash wrote: »
    black entertainment television... Can you imagine the uproar if there was a White entertainment television!
    Check out WhitePrideTV.com, I shít you not :eek:

The Aryan knuckle-draggers even have their own hate promoting radio channel called...wait for it...KKKRadio :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There is. It's called Television.

Even in Nigeria?

There is no such thing as white television because there is no one white culture. The last time you watched Belarusian TV was never.

If there are too many white yanks on yank television that's their issue. There's too many yanks on TV in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

The woman who wrote it is entitled to her opinion, but I find it ironic that a piece criticising a white woman for adopting some traits of black hip-hop, when she hasn't experienced life as a black person... is written by a white woman speaking on behalf of black people, when she hasn't experienced life as a black person. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

she mentions Ice-T in the article

is that the same Ice-T that formed the heavy metal band Body Count

not really a genre associated with the black community

but i guess Ice-T didnt give a **** he just loved the music

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

She has a lovely bottom.that's all I have to say on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I had to Google Iggy Azalea to find out who she was and I still don't know. Am I old? :)

Why do black people need a TV station dedicated to black people ?

Because of the lack of black representation on mainstream television.

Even in Nigeria?

There is no such thing as white television because there is no one white culture. The last time you watched Belarusian TV was never.

If there are too many white yanks on yank television that's their issue. There's too many yanks on TV in any case.

Fine, I was being facetious. White people still dominate mainstream television though. Though things are improving in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Fine, I was being facetious. White people still dominate mainstream television though. Though things are improving in that respect.

Mainstream Western television. Turn on Nollywood or Bollywood and not a whitey to be seen. Europe is circa 90% white and America 70%. Of course there are going to be more whites than blacks on western tv.

Mainstream Western television. Turn on Nollywood or Bollywood and not a whitey to be seen. Europe is circa 90% white and America 70%. Of course there are going to be more whites than blacks on western tv.

OK so why shouldn't black people have their own TV channel if they're such a niche audience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The scantily clad dancers tend to be white,the bit I've seen of it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

OK so why shouldn't black people have their own TV channel if they're such a niche audience?

I've no issue with BET. I was simply pointing out as to why western tv is predominantly white. The population of the west is predominantly white.

As an aside, are there any foreigners or people of non Irish ethnicity employed by RTE? It doesn't seem to reflect the demographic reality of Ireland today. Very few of our media outlets do, now that I think of it.

I've no issue with BET. I was simply pointing out as to why western tv is predominantly white. The population of the west is predominantly white.

As an aside, are there any foreigners or people of non Irish ethnicity employed by RTE? It doesn't seem to reflect the demographic reality of Ireland today. Very few of our media outlets do, now that I think of it.

Probably because nobody at RTE has any black nephews or nieces yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I had to Google Iggy Azalea to find out who she was and I still don't know. Am I old? :)

No, blessed.

Whatever it is called what she is doing, it hurts my ears.

But a white person getting her knickers in a twist because of what Azelea is doing....

What is next? AskingTelling the Rolling Stones to get rid of the blues influence in their music?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I only want to know if her bum is real or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Whatever about the National Lottery, this guy seems to have won the genetic lottery -

Kamal Ibrahim

And where would Irish teenage boys be without Georgia Salpa's regular appearances on The Republic of Telly?

Georgia Salpa

I know Alan Shatter made the point in 2012 -

Minister Shatter’s remarks at the Dublin event were in response to earlier comments by Chinedu Onyejelem, editor of this newspaper, who had expressed his “disappointment” over RTÉ’s coverage of cultural diversity. “I don’t think it is right for RTÉ to be giving us travel programmes in the name of intercultural programmes, I believe they need to do more,” said Onyejelem, who also denounced the “lack of immigrant employees in mainstream media organisations”.

Ireland now has a significant non-Irish population of some 12 per cent, in addition to tens of thousands of naturalised Irish citizens and young people from migrant backgrounds who were born here.

An RTÉ spokesperson acknowledged that “the profile of RTÉ staff needs to better reflect the diverse population we exist to serve”, and that the number of non-Irish or ethnic minority staff in its ranks constitutes “a small proportion” of RTÉ’s workforce of approximately 1,900.

http://metroeireann.com/article/rt-stuck-in-the-past,3393

But I'm not too sure how much the issue has been addressed since then. It's not like I go out of my way to spot these discrepancies - "I see black people" :pac:

Although being the only white guy shaking muh bootae at Africa Day a few Sundays ago I was a bit surprised more pink people didn't turn up, all the more samosas for me then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't know who any of these cunce are.

My thoughts also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Candie wrote: »
    Thats not true. Azalea isn't being herself and engaging with black culture, she's claiming it as her own.

If a black person entered a career in classical music (and many, many do), they're not pretending to be something else, they're simply a black musician. Not that I see classical music as being solely 'white'.

Racism is a word thrown around and I don't think she's being racist. I think she's being tasteless and crass, and I'm not surprised some are offended. I'm personally not offended since it doesn't affect me.

If English people affected Irish accents and appropriated Irish culture as their own, plenty on here would be asking what that's all about.

So you should have doubts. :)

So essentially Iggy Azalea is Australia's answer to Micheál Mac Liammóir?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

She 100% has been singled out and picked on. The stuff that people tweet to her is unbelievable. I know she left twitter for a "break" and it's quite clear it was getting to her. People were commenting on her appearance constantly too, and in some recent pictures it looks like she's had some surgery done on her face. Literally feels like she was driven to it if that is the case.

Imagine if this was in a school environment and how completely unacceptable it would be considered. Yes she's a celebrity and has put herself into the spotlight and people can like or hate her music, but she doesn't deserve the abuse she gets at all. It's actually disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

scdublin wrote: »
    She 100% has been singled out and picked on. The stuff that people tweet to her is unbelievable.

The stuff she tweets is unbelievable too. Google 'iggy azalea racist tweets'.

Some of them are bad. Not as bad as her music, but still pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Strange that the story of Rachel Dolezal - the white woman who pretended to be black for several years - emerged days after this editorial.

Jon Stewart and Jessica Williams had a field day about it on The Daily Show this week.

Skip to 6 mins 20 secs.

Jon Stewart: “So... Rachel Dolezal is Iggy Azalea?”

Jessica Williams: “No, actually she's worse. Iggy acts black to make money but Iggy's not fooling anybody. Rachel Dolezal actually just Single White Female-d all black women. We don't need oppression cosplay. We need allies, not replacements.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

The funny thing about Eminem is that he'd probably run rings around most mainstream rappers in a freestyle. Probably one of the most talented individuals in the genre, Dre knew it and that's why he signed him. I'd say that's what really sticks in the craw of the likes of your man Mooney.

I've no problem with Iggy as the worst thing she's done is adapt a twang to make herself more marketable and dress like a teenager. Not the first person to do that and won't be the last. I mean it would different if she was trying to rap about her "experiences" as a woman living in the American South but that isn't what's happening.

Where was the outrage at Timberlake when he was adapting certain aspects of African American culture, or closer to home, how about Kodaline, where the lead singer has an awfully "Americanised" sound for an Irishman?

Advertisement