Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help preserve access to Banna Beach - golf course dev. trying to remove rights of way

Options
  • 09-06-2015 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Public access to vast lengths of Banna Beach are threatened with being removed forever due to the proposed development of a private golf course. The developer owns land through which there are public rights of way that have been accessed by people for generations - they are seeking to eliminate these rights of way which will make this beautiful area essentially inaccessible in the future.

For anyone who is familiar with Banna the access points in question are from the back of the Cul Tra all the way to the big rock on the Ballyheigue side - almost 1.5 miles in total!!!!

Many times these changes happen quietly in the back ground .... as intended .... and then it is too late. Now is our chance to act and do something. There is a very vocal and rapidly growing local group that needs your help.

What can I do?
    - Additional information about the issue and how you can help can be found at .... savebannadotcom (as a new user I can't include a link)

There is also a savebanna page on FB

Thanks for reading and please help us with getting the word out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I was at Banna two weeks ago and saw the signs. My first thoughts were that there is no way that any self-respecting TD would allow this to happen, especially "in the background". What are Jimmy D, Martin F and Arthur S doing about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I also wonder what the wider environmental impact of the planned golf course will be.

How are they going to mitigate the negative impact on the sand dunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Banna1

My understanding is that Kerry County Council is also opposing the development. The more people that can send in emails/letters to the council objecting the better - the savebannadotcom website has more info. on how to do this.

I don't know what the direct interaction with TDs etc has been so far ......or their response....but here are some email addresses to start with if anyone wants to nudge them.

martin.ferris at oireachtas.ie
    jimmy.deenihan at oireachtas.ie
    arthur.spring at oireachtas.ie

Thanks again for helping to get the word out and please pass this on

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Red Waterlily

Four rights of way are being challenged in court in two separate cases. The council are defending the rights of way on our behalf but it is up to the people who have used the paths to write clear, truthful statements to the council legal team. The judge will decide based on evidence and it's up to the people to show that these are long standing public paths since time immemorial.

Check out "Akeragh" and "Banna" in the Kerryman, Kerry's Eye, The Independent and the Ardfert Review for several articles over the last 12 months...as well as Dail Questions. I agree with the OP - time was that this could have gone on under the radar and the rights of way might have been lost. By shining a big light on it and telling everyone to wake up and take care of our beach, we have a chance to prevent an injustice. The bannaAction web page explains how to give your statement. Right now we need to write and send those statements, - the council legal team need them as evidence to strengthen their defence. Older people and old photos will be very important. Please like and share and retweet #savebanna campaign on Twitter savebanna facebook. You can help: Tell everyone! Send statements!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭amber2

https://sites.google.com/site/savebanna/home

Here's a link, hope it works. Fantastic beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Red Waterlily

Delighted to share that two of the four rights of way at Banna/Akeragh Beach - ROW 3C and ROW 4 - were judged to be Public Rights of Way at Listowel Court today, (Tuesday 21st July) by consent of both parties (Kerry Co Co and Interbeach ltd). They are now deemed to be listed in the county development plan as public rights of way.
    This is Absolutely brilliant news and very encouraging - although we still need to keep up the campaign to save the other two rights of way - ROW 3A and ROW 3B. We're half way there!

Thanks to all who have helped! Lets keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Banna1

That is great news Waterlily - thanks for sharing and thanks to everyone who helped with this - great community effort and result. Hope the other 2 go the same way!!
    Delighted to share that two of the four rights of way at Banna/Akeragh Beach - ROW 3C and ROW 4 - were judged to be Public Rights of Way at Listowel Court today, (Tuesday 21st July) by consent of both parties (Kerry Co Co and Interbeach ltd). They are now deemed to be listed in the county development plan as public rights of way.
    This is Absolutely brilliant news and very encouraging - although we still need to keep up the campaign to save the other two rights of way - ROW 3A and ROW 3B. We're half way there!

Thanks to all who have helped! Lets keep up the good work!

Advertisement