Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens allowance from Oz

Options
  • 09-06-2015 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Basically I moved to Perth almost 3 years ago and never cancelled the children's allowance for my 5 yr when we left. I didn't know if I was going to stay here or what my entitlements were once I left Ireland.
    Anyway, I have just had a new baby here and am wondering how it will affect me when I move home next year and register my 2nd child.
    Has anyone any advice or been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

TwistZ wrote: »
    Hi,

Basically I moved to Perth almost 3 years ago and never cancelled the children's allowance for my 5 yr when we left. I didn't know if I was going to stay here or what my entitlements were once I left Ireland.
    Anyway, I have just had a new baby here and am wondering how it will affect me when I move home next year and register my 2nd child.
    Has anyone any advice or been in a similar situation?
    you are not entitled to receive the payments
    Your situation will be twigged when you go to claim for a 1 year old and I would not be surprised if you are asked to repay what you claimed whilst out of the country
    What do you mean when you say 'register your 2nd child' ,it was born in Australia,you can't register its birth in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What do you mean when you say 'register your 2nd child' ,it was born in Australia,you can't register its birth in Ireland

I'd assume she means register the child for childrens allowance, not register the birth

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

so basically you fraudulently claimed 5 years worth of childrens allowance and now want to know how to claim for the second child when you move back.

what do you think will happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

Absolutely you can register the birth in Ireland via the Embassy.
    It's an entitlement that all citizens have for while Irish citizenship is automatic if a child is born to an Irish citizen, in order to be able to claim it you must register the birth.

All of my children have been born in Australia and all were registered via the Embassy in Canberra for the purposes of having Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Unless you are working for an Irish company you will be most likely asked to pay the money back. It is fraud. I am surprised that you have not had one of their "letters" in all that time getting you to verify your entitlement. Your new baby might not make any difference to it though, we had one here in Oz and while we were eligible for CB we did not realise it, and it wasn't until we went back to Ireland that the system picked him up and we got 6 months back pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

GladWrap wrote: »
    Absolutely you can register the birth in Ireland via the Embassy.
    It's an entitlement that all citizens have for while Irish citizenship is automatic if a child is born to an Irish citizen, in order to be able to claim it you must register the birth.

All of my children have been born in Australia and all were registered via the Embassy in Canberra for the purposes of having Irish citizenship.

If neither parent has Australian citizenship it does not matter, the child will automatically get Irish citizenship. We were on a 457 and it was not even a discussion point, he was just Irish, born in Australia. We did not have to register him any differently. He has an Australian birth cert.

Advertisement