Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This isn't right.

Options
  • 09-06-2015 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

This is a long rant I just have to get off my chest.
    Back in October 2014 two friends and myself applied for welding courses in Waterford etb. We did 3 courses and they were 5 weeks each. Back in March we decided to put our names down for a 16 week welding course. At the time another friend of mine put his name down for the same course. We all planned on travelling together. Couple weeks ago i got a letter for an interview. My two friends who done the other welding courses also got called for an interview. My friend who didn't do welding courses didn't get called for an interview. So my friends and I go for the interview, all goes well and 3 days later I get a letter from etb saying they regret to inform me that I didn't get the place. So I call to my friends to see if they got it and my 2 friends got a place. I didn't even try my other friend as he didn't get an interview but he rings me to say he got a place on the course. My blood is boiling after finding out that my friend who didn't go for an interview or hand in a C.V gets a place in the course. I rang etb a couple of times to see if maybe there was a mistake somewhere and all I got was an ignorant woman who just said No this is no mistake.
    Has anyone else had similar experiences with etb?
    Is it ok for them to accept people who never went for interview before people who did?
    I have lost all faith after this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

I'd say it's a case of 'who' you know rather than 'what' you know. I know someone accepted for something similar recently, was texted the day before to say there wasn't enough numbers to do the course.

She found out last week the course is into it's 3rd week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bones13

I'd say it's a case of 'who' you know rather than 'what' you know. I know someone accepted for something similar recently, was texted the day before to say there wasn't enough numbers to do the course.

She found out last week the course is into it's 3rd week.

I really think it's a mistake as my friend knows nobody there and was only doing it because my friends and I were doing it. My two friends also think there is a mistake as I'm easily the best welder, so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

bones13 wrote: »
    I really think it's a mistake as my friend knows nobody there and was only doing it because my friends and I were doing it. My two friends also think there is a mistake as I'm easily the best welder, so they say.

Possibly a mistake then so. Call in and try to get speaking to someone about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

interviews aren't neccessarily an essential part of an application process.
    some applicants are, on paper, just very obviously suitable for the course, and an interview isn't needed.
    And inversely, some are very obviously not suitable - and again no interview is needed.

and then, there are those whose suitability only becomes apparent after the interview. And I guess this is where they decided against giving you a seat ?

on that basis alone (that he wasn't interviewed and you were), you don't really have much to complain about imo. if there are other factors in why he's not as suitable as you - I would focus more on them, as far as feeling hard-done by goes.

at the end of the day though, they interviewed you, and decided against letting you in for some reason...

Advertisement