Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stale Salmon

Options
  • 09-06-2015 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Been out fishing the same spot over the last few days on the Lee and I have noticed a big increase in Salmon rising.

In particular there is the same Salmon in a pool who is jumping all the time. I got chatting to a Salmon angler with a fly rod as he was passing and he said the Salmon was probably stale.

Can anyone elaborate on what he meant by stale. I found it interesting that the Salmon angler showed no interest in trying to catch this fish and moved on. I reckon he was in or around 10lb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Stale usually means the salmon has been in the river for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Been out fishing the same spot over the last few days on the Lee and I have noticed a big increase in Salmon rising.

In particular there is the same Salmon in a pool who is jumping all the time. I got chatting to a Salmon angler with a fly rod as he was passing and he said the Salmon was probably stale.

Can anyone elaborate on what he meant by stale. I found it interesting that the Salmon angler showed no interest in trying to catch this fish and moved on. I reckon he was in or around 10lb.
    A stale salmon is browner that lets say a fresh salmon just off the tide because he's been in the river for a while the more the fish stays in the river, the browner colour he gets, just a thought but maybe he could be a farmed fish there's been a good few caught around the place just a thought though, if I where you maybe just go to the river before night and see what colour he is etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fresh salmon = silver, stale salmon = brown/red/mottled colour. Depends how long it's been in the river, but most decent anglers would put back a stale fish if they caught it. Taking "unseasonable" fish is an offence under the Fisheries Act, but unseasonable is not clearly defined AFAIR.

Advertisement