Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i be put as a named driver with an expired license

Options
  • 09-06-2015 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

quick question, i am currently awaiting to renew my license but the wait time in the test centers is nearly a month so it will be after then until its done.

My girlfriends insurance is up for renewal and by adding me on it makes it cheaper all round, can i be put on the policy with an expire licences while i await for it to be renewed?

I understand that some policy's cover people who forget to renew their license's when the expire but im checking if anyone has every done or heard of someone doing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You should never take a chance on an insurance proposal. The consequence could be that a claim is refused, and you or your girlfriend would have to carry the can.

I think she should be upfront with the insurance company - say that she wants you named on the policy, but that she expects that the cover for you will commence only when you get your licence.

[Maybe I'm very suspicious: is the expired licence a full one?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

You should never take a chance on an insurance proposal. The consequence could be that a claim is refused, and you or your girlfriend would have to carry the can.

I think she should be upfront with the insurance company - say that she wants you named on the policy, but that she expects that the cover for you will commence only when you get your licence.

[Maybe I'm very suspicious: is the expired licence a full one?]

thanks for your reply.

Being honest id never jeopardize my girlfriends policy, i wouldn't be driving(if at all) until the license was renewed.

No its a provisional that iv have had for nearly ten years but i think her insurance are pretty lax with this matter,she was involved in an accident last year, she is on a provisional and was driving without a fully license driver and they paid out to the other driver with no issues and she still kept her no claims(with the add on on her policy) but like i have said above, i wouldn't be chancing it.

I think well go with the let them know its expired but due to be renewed,can my cover start on such a date, does that sound like its possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The premium would be lower if an(other) unlicensed driver was added to the policy? (maybe in the crazy world of insurance this is actually the case, seems bizarre however). How can either of you actually legally be driving around in this car as you're both on provisionals (or expired provisionals)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

murphaph wrote: »
    The premium would be lower if an(other) unlicensed driver was added to the policy? (maybe in the crazy world of insurance this is actually the case, seems bizarre however). How can either of you actually legally be driving around in this car as you're both on provisionals (or expired provisionals)?

He's not unlicensed. His licence has expired. He, however, still holds a valid licence which is the requirement. That said, most insurers will look for a copy of the licence before adding you to the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Neither of you have a driving licence. You have a learner permit and an expired lerner permit.

While the insurance company may have settled a previous claim they could, in theory, look to recover the full cost of any payout as the driver was not acting in accordance with the terms of their policy.

You risk penalty points for driving unaccompanied on a learner permit and possibly prosecution for driving without a licence and insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement