Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern Europe Small Inter-rail

Options
  • 09-06-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

So me and my friend are flying into Munich 2nd week in August for 2 weeks. Plan is to go Munich-Budapest, Budapest-Bratislava, Bratislava-Prague over the 2 weeks. We thought maybe do 4 cities well instead of rushing a bunch.

Does anyone have any advice for these places? Any places we could add easily? Or just any general advice. This is our first time in this area so we're open to suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

irishleeds wrote: »
    So me and my friend are flying into Munich 2nd week in August for 2 weeks. Plan is to go Munich-Budapest, Budapest-Bratislava, Bratislava-Prague over the 2 weeks. We thought maybe do 4 cities well instead of rushing a bunch.

Does anyone have any advice for these places? Any places we could add easily? Or just any general advice. This is our first time in this area so we're open to suggestions.

I've never been to Bratislava but most seem to suggest it's not great and worth giving a miss. Maybe try Vienna instead? it's very close to Bratislava, about 90 minutes on a bus. Or perhaps go to Krakow from Budapest and then on to Prague? I've been to Krakow and absolutely love it. Would add travel time I'm sure but there's bound to be direct services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Bratislava isn't worth spending more than a 1/2 or night in, that's my experience from 2013, I flew into Frankfurt (day), Munich(2 days + 2nights), day trip to Salzburg, Vienna (2 days+2 nights), Bratislava (1/2 + Night) , Budapest (2 days, 1 night), Night train to Berlin (2 days+1 night), Night train to Paris (2 days, 2 nights) and then back to Ireland via Calais-Dover, Holyhead- Dublin.

Bratislava is on the regional train network for Vienna, so hourly service on modern OBB commuter trains, from Vienna you could get a 4day return, with 1 day of bus/tram in Bratislava for 15e. Not sure what the reverse options are. Bratislava- Budapest, was on a eurocity train, from Praha/Prague to Budapest. It was "ok" but some toilets were out of order. If you go this route, pay the extra 2e for seat reservation, to avoid a scrum.

personally, I'd try get the OBB railjet from Budapest to Vienna, much more modern, and visit Bratislava from Vienna. (maybe, train there on the cheap return, and do the boat trip back). Modern trains rather than more rustic?

and Bratislava train station, and the bus waiting area outside, smelt of wee. Strongly of wee!!
    and of all the places I've been, it was the one place where even locals said avoid taxi drivers, they are robbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irishleeds

Hi guys,

Ya I think we are going to head to Krakow and then Prague. Seems like a more fun place anyway. Cheers for the replies!

irishleeds wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Ya I think we are going to head to Krakow and then Prague. Seems like a more fun place anyway. Cheers for the replies!
    are you going on the night train, did that about 4 years ago, was interesting.
    if you are:
    try book a cabin as soon as you can.
    our train had no air-con, so was like an oven
    bring your own food and drink, don't rely on onboard stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Vienna is incredibly boring imo.

Advertisement