Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panda Power Electricity

• 09-06-2015 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

New entrant Panda Power - same as the waste people.

18% off standard electricty rates.

What I really like is the dreadfully easy sign-up process. - About 30 seconds.

https://www.pandapower.ie/Switch

Remember, most discount plans end after 12 months, so you need to switch yearly to maximise savings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What are they like for bins? And discount if you wanna get bins and electricity with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I wonder if the offer is too good to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

site says save up to 196 euro when you switch
    never like that phrase myself, "up to" could mean saving a tenner lol
    i will stick with electric ireland as i have a easy pay card which is very handy,and powering rewards gets me a tenner off every two months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bonkers lists all the things like standing charge and unit price for operators so allows for proper comparisons. Panda and energia are cheapest using direct debit.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Bonkers lists all the things like standing charge and unit price for operators so allows for proper comparisons. Panda and energia are cheapest using direct debit.

does bonkers include 60 euro saving from electric ireland using poweringrewards when shopping at supervalu ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Maybe I am missing something but I cant see their price plans anywhere on their site!

No idea but I do see cash back noted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

There's a link on the page the OP posted. Here's a direct link view rates.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something but I cant see their price plans anywhere on their site!

the bonkers site is good
    my mate was working for pre pay power and tried to get me to sign up, going by bonkers it would have cost me 120 a year extra lol

http://www.bonkers.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

site says save up to 196 euro when you switch
    never like that phrase myself, "up to" could mean saving a tenner lol
    i will stick with electric ireland as i have a easy pay card which is very handy,and powering rewards gets me a tenner off every two months

If you are already on a discounted rate, savings may not be huge, but I have a reminder set on my computer every June to switch electriclty providers as discount deals are usually for 12 months and the companies will never "remind" you hat the discount is finished.

My useage last year was just over €1400 on the unit costs (excl fixed supply cost) before discount of 13%. Discount ended on 21st May, so now a 18% discount will mean a saving of €250 when compared to standard rate.
    cruais wrote: »
    I wonder if the offer is too good to be true
    Naw - they all have "new customer" discounts. Panda are very slightly better athan Energia (17%). It was the ease of this switch that I liked - if I always got over €200 for less than a minute's work, I'd be up at Denis O'Brien's level! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

delahuntv wrote: »
    if I always got over €200 for less than a minute's work, I'd be up at Denis O'Brien's level! :)

Except DOB gets millions for doing nothing, FG just hands it to him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Never heard of this crowd before but this looks like a very good deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

i switched electric provider to energia, and it was almost 12months ago, how time flies.

anywho, going by bonkers.ie, it will be cheaper to go with Bord Gas for electric (only) when you take into account the €100 cash back.

so , fair dues to Panda, but they they need to up the game with a cash back in order to be more competitive.

also, on one of the radio shows lately, either newstalk or today fm, it was said in an interview that a new german provider was going to launch an electricity supply service here soon . Is Panda German ??, or will another provider come on stream shortly ?

E.on?
    Wasn't there talk of them entering the market years ago?
    mikeecho wrote: »

also, on one of the radio shows lately, either newstalk or today fm, it was said in an interview that a new german provider was going to launch an electricity supply service here soon . Is Panda German ??, or will another provider come on stream shortly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

yeah, Eon was what came to my mind as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭kn

Niemoj wrote: »
    Never heard of this crowd before but this looks like a very good deal!

I think its good for the bigger domestic electricity users like families but not for singletons or houses where people are out all day and weekends as well. Unit price is low but standing charges are higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

An article in the newspaper this morning about Panda reminded me that it was over a year ago since I switched to Energia - meaning I had lost all my discounts!

Switched to Panda (electricity) and Flogas (gas) earlier today. Saving €326 per year (average use of both gas and electricity)

Switch every year folks. And NEVER opt for prepay, always opt for direct debit. It will save you a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have remained with Electric Ireland & have negotiated a discount that matches the Panda offer. The point being it is not always necessary to switch provider to get a discount.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I have remained with Electric Ireland & have negotiated a discount that matches the Panda offer. The point being it is not always necessary to switch provider to get a discount.

Tell me how you went about this
    I want to stay with electric Ireland
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Gooser14

About a year ago Electric Ireland were offering 15% discount to anybody who switched to them. I called their customer service & asked for the 15% discount as a long & loyal customer. The guy on the phone would only offer me 8% which I didn't accept. When I finished the call I emailed customer service & advised them that I would be moving to another provider if I didn't get 15% discount. Within 30 minutes I got a reply agreeing to the 15% discount for 12 months provided I paid by direct debit & went paperless billing. I agreed to this. My 12 months is up shortly so I called them recently to see what they could offer in view of the discount being offered by Panda. They offered me a continuation of the 15% discount for a further 12 months & a cash credit on my next bill. Based on my annual consumption the discount plus the cash credit matches what I would have got by switching Panda.

I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say
    Only reason I stay with them is the easy pay card, very handy to drop a tenner every week when I'm at the post office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EI offered me a significant discount beyond the advertised rates to stay also but as my usage was low enough the BGE cash back more than covers their slightly higher rates

Looking at switching elec. and gas. Rang EI this morning and the agent said there was no way they are allowed match competitor discounts. It's the advertised discounts only. Another agent said the same yesterday.

Tried Bord Gais this morning as well and they said the same. No budging on Level Pay as a requirement for the discounted rates also.

Looks like Energia have the best dual fuel offer at the moment for our usage.

Bord Gais definitely won't let you off level pay. However, when you actually start to process a move wait for EI to offer you more (and their standing charge is marginally lower too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Seen this:

196 is the estimated saving that you could make and it is based on the average electricity usage of an Irish household (5,300 kWh per annum) with another supplier on 3 June 2015.

We used 5000kWh ever 2 months... Defiantly not average!

do you have electric heating maybe? You should make a lot more savings as its the unit rate is the saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

TheDriver wrote: »
    do you have electric heating maybe? You should make a lot more savings as its the unit rate is the saving

Nope. Gas. Got a lot of servers though...

lotas wrote: »
    Nope. Gas. Got a lot of servers though...

If you're not on a business contract, you need to be. Very different pricing there than from consumer providers and some providers that don't even do consumer contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

went with ESB from airtricity 80 euro a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    The best offer about a month or 2 ago was the Electric Ireland level pay with cash credit back. Seems good until you realise that due to level pay you'd tend to end up with credit anyhow after a few months due to overpayment and then they credit your account again with the cash back. Or at least that's my understanding of it. So in the end you don't actually see the money - it just sits there as credit until they reassess the level pay amount.

I switched to Energia instead. Electric Ireland phoned the house on the last day of the cooling off period but as I was out they wouldn't discuss the details as I was the main named account holder. I guess I 'could' have got a discount to stay with them had I been in.... Maybe they are actively trying to retain customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I worked out the maths I'm currently with bord gais last year I pad 1005 euro for electricity using their level pay 5% discount and added in the tesco vouchers

Based on the above I'd save 13% by moving which is 130 euro approx. Bord gais offered me 50 euro off my next bill so there's still 80 euro in the difference. With the tesco vouchers giving double value I'm not sure if 80 euro for the year is worth moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OldVickers

I switched to Energia a few weeks back for dual fuel from EI and Flogas, before Energia's CHEEP deal. I rang customer care and they agreed to give me the extra 2% discount on the electricity. EI contacted me and offered to extend their offer beyond the year contract and cashback to stay but agreed that as I consume a high amount of electricity and gas (Victorian house) that I was better off with Energia and that they could not match their rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

I see that Bonkers.ie have an exclusive extra discounted offer from Airtricity at the moment :

It seems to be the cheapest available rate in the market at the moment :

EXCLUSIVE to bonkers.ie - sign up to this SSE Airtricity Electricity tariff and get a discount of 20% off their standard unit prices - but HURRY, this exclusive tariff is not available anywhere else and is time limited!

Electricity :

15.27 cent (20% discount)
    €162.96 standing charge
    Prices shown include VAT at 13.5%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Did that (Airtricity) and went with Flogas for Gas, calculated to save me approx €428 per year

I was with Energia

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭horse7

Had panda power agent at the door recently and was told if I switched they would pay my contact penalty to go to panda power.

Quick tip
    People at the door talk **** just to get commission
    What's the contact charge you mentioned ?

If I leave my present supplier I will have to pay a penalty, between 50 to 100 euro. I emailed panda power,but no reply received.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dagdaMor

Is it true that Panda electricity comes completely from renewable sources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Kind of!

Like everyone else they buy from the national grid which has a mixture of different types of energy.

They then buy carbon credits to offset the percentage of the energy they use that comes from fossil fuels.

At least that's my understanding of what it says on the back of the bill!

• Advertisement

Panda power offered me a great deal a few months ago,but when I emailed them to check the cold caller I could not get a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dagdaMor wrote: »
    Is it true that Panda electricity comes completely from renewable sources?

Any renewable energy that comes into the grid is used. So regardless of what provider you go with you will not use any more or any less renewable energy than Bob next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

You're totally right, but it is always advantageous to buy from renewable suppliers and it therefore will encourage the development of said sources.

This is one of the reasons why I moved to Energia, as they only buy renewable. Therefore, I'm supporting a company who actually promote it and make an effort.
    BGE, and others, will use some, but haven't increased their purchase of it.

http://www.cer.ie/docs/001041/CER16246%20Fuel%20Mix%20Disclosure%20and%20CO2%20Emission%202015%20FINAL.pdf

You're totally right, but it is always advantageous to buy from renewable suppliers and it therefore will encourage the development of said sources.

This is one of the reasons why I moved to Energia, as they only buy renewable. Therefore, I'm supporting a company who actually promote it and make an effort.
    BGE, and others, will use some, but haven't increased their purchase of it.

http://www.cer.ie/docs/001041/CER16246%20Fuel%20Mix%20Disclosure%20and%20CO2%20Emission%202015%20FINAL.pdf

It's easy to buy only renewable when your customer base is low. If energia increases their customer base then they would have to buy alternatives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I agree that this is the case, but Energia have in excess of 63,000 customers. Electric Ireland have just shy of double.
    Also, we must remember than Energia have their business market, which is quite sizable.

I agree that this is the case, but Energia have in excess of 63,000 customers. Electric Ireland have just shy of double.
    Also, we must remember than Energia have their business market, which is quite sizable.

Energia are owned by veridian who operate CCGT stations in Ireland , so realistically they are pumping emissions into the air. electric irelsnds coal is coming from Moneypoint, pull that from the grid are prices will rise significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

I would like to get an opinion from any user. Are they efficient and responsive when it comes to billing or contacting them? And of course can you tell if you are saving money?
    Many thanks

Check your usage on a comparison site like bonkers.ie
    A comparison website will help you pick the cheapest option for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

flipsat wrote: »
    I would like to get an opinion from any user. Are they efficient and responsive when it comes to billing or contacting them? And of course can you tell if you are saving money?
    Many thanks

I've found them very helpful on the phone but I've only had to ring them maybe 3-4 times since I moved to them two years ago. I don't recall being on hold for long either, if at all!

Used them when I moved into a new house so I have no previous numbers to compare them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I plugged my data into bonkers

Panda power is only showing a small saving in comparison to airtricity who I'm planning to switch to shortly.

Airtricity doing €120 cashback + 10% off

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement