Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Pale legs summer ready - Shimmer?

Options
  • 09-06-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this has come up before.

For years I have used Sally Hansen on my legs to keep them nice and tan looking when I wear skirts and shorts but its just so uncomfortable when its hot and also I think its causing red bumps on my legs.

So now I am trying to revamp my legs for the summer, body brushing and moisturizing most days to try and get rid of those damned red bumps. But when I have them actually on display they are still too purple looking to go all natural.

I have looked up a number of shimmers but cant decide the best one to go for or if that is even what I am looking for.

Any suggestions or tips for pasty white legs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I use Dove Summer Glow in Light. It's a gradual tanning moisturiser. I normally put some on before I go to bed, shower in the morning, and after about 3 applications (3-ish days) there's a noticeable colour. There's a nice smell at the beginning, but there is a fake tan smell after a few hours, hence the reason I use it at night. It takes a week for it to start going patchy, and the colour can be built up by keeping up the daily applications (or every few days to maintain the colour). They have a darker version, but I'm super pale and not very keen on a dark tan so I use the light version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

The chances are the red bumps you have are keratosis pilaris. It's a genetic condition and you will never be able to get rid of it however exfoliation and moisturising will help reduce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Is that a common complaint bored_lad? Why are they there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My boyfriend has that red bump thing too, it's quite common, seen lots of people with it! If that's what it is. Might be worth going to a dermatologist just to make sure, whatever it is it could be treatable!

And +1 for the Dove gradual tanner. Best one out there in my opinion. And one of the cheapest! I use the darker one, but only need to use it twice and that's enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I mix my Sally with some body butter to sheer it out, it leaves my legs more moisturised and it's less obvious that I'm wearing any, but gives enough cover IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Keratosis Pilaris is very common in Celtic skin types, it's nothing harmful, just a buildup of keratin. Eucerin 10% cream works brilliantly after a few days, it doesn't smell great so again I'd put it on at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I use Dove self tanner too - the fair one is perfect for my skin tone.
    I must try mixing Sally H with moisturiser - great idea, thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Ya its really common and it effects one in three people in the UK.

As the poster above me said it is caused by the build up of keratin in the hair follicles of your skin. This then blocks the hair follicles with plugs of hard rough skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Odd question do you reckon its better to deal with keratosis pilaris with shaven or unshaven legs?

Advertisement