Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car altenator belt troubles

Options
  • 09-06-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I don't want to name and shame, they seem like nice people. But I would like some advice.

I have an 02 Mazda 323. My altenator belt was squeaking about 3 months ago, for a few weeks, when finally it snapped and I was stranded on the M50.

I went to mechanic who gave me a new belt. That was grand for about a week, when it started squeaking again. Finally My car flickered and stopped (I was at home this time)

I decided to cut my losses and take it to a new mechanic. He looked at the belt and said it was fine and just needed tightening. He tightened it. It was grand for about 10K and, then, again, it started to squeak and later, inevitably, the car died.

I took it back to the second mechanic. He has it now, and he's saying the belt just needs to be tightened again. I find it hard to believe that 2 different mechanics have failed to tighten an altenator belt correctly.
    Surely that's "cars 101". I don't want to tell him his job (because I don't know anything about cars). But surely basic logic dictates that there is probably something fundamentally wrong with my altenator/battery system. Right?? I don't have time to be taking the car to a mechanic every week :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What engine is in the car?
    It could be a bad bearing in the alternator seizing and causing the belt to slip or something fraying the belt like a bad pulley or tensioner.
    Or pulley misalignment.
    Is it a V belt or a multirib type belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Could simply be the tensioner itself isnt fit for the job intended anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It does sound like misalignment which wears the belt down until it snaps.
    Look at the belt and see if it looks worn in an odd way*.

*scientific term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Symptoms of a crap make belt, alot of crap parts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

316 wrote: »
    Symptoms of a crap make belt, alot of crap parts out there.

The inevitable down side to garages undercutting each other for business and still needing to make a profit. It's customer driven though, expecting excellent quality with cheap as chips price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement