Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortions for 3,735, minature flags for nobody

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Kev W wrote: »
    That your PhD wasn't in a relevant field. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from, frankly.

Youth Defence will probably still use him in a survey to prove "look at all these pro-liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife doctors" in a manner reminiscent of Dolores Umbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

^ No hospital will resuscitate at 19 weeks, considering that the earliest known surving premature baby was born at 21 weeks, and survival at 23 weeks or earlier is very rare.

Isn't the survival rate at 23 weeks only about 25%?
    Were I living in the UK with my 22 week gone pregnant girlfriend, and we both wanted to end the pregnancy and on the way to the abortion clinic she goes into labour and the baby gets hooked up to an incubator, we could not get the doctors to let that baby die.

Parents are allowed to request withdrawing treatment from babies born at 23 weeks or less in the UK though.

Kev W wrote: »
    That your PhD wasn't in a relevant field. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from, frankly.

I never claimed it was. I was informed that I definitely wasn't a doctor and I pointed out that I was, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

24 weeks is the legal limit in the UK. That's pretty damn close to two thirds in anyone's book.

You have totally avoided the point I was making, so I will make it again.

Babies have survived in the UK at 22 weeks and so I'll will make my point again, maybe you could address it:

Well in the UK the vast majority of babies born at 23 weeks don't survive so those twins are the exception rather than the rule.

And in the UK parents have successfully requested treatment withdrawn from babies born at 23 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Demonique wrote: »
    Well in the UK the vast majority of babies born at 23 weeks don't survive so those twins are the exception rather than the rule.

And in the UK parents have successfully requested treatment withdrawn from babies born at 23 weeks

That's true but while early second trimester babies born prematurely would never survive (even with incubation) they are still alive while in the womb. Their heart is regulated by their brain, they can suck their thumbs, they can swallow etc and so while viability is a good argument against abortion (use it myself) lack of viability is not a sufficient argument for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement