Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortions for 3,735, minature flags for nobody

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

In Ireland its not and nor should it be as the unborn child has a right to life and needs others stand its corner as it cant do it itself.
    What are you doing to stand its corner? Are you campaigning for the right to travel to kill the unborn child to be repealed? Are you campaigning for women who terminate pregnancies abroad and return home to face criminal charges, along with anyone who travels with them? Seems very strange that the unborn has a right to life, but I could head off tomorrow with the unborn and kill it somewhere else and return home and the rights of the unborn won't be addressed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

In Ireland its not and nor should it be as the unborn child has a right to life and needs others stand its corner as it cant do it itself.
    This is the point that's being missed IMO.

How come it's a "choice" whether an unborn child is allowed continue to develop or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

lazygal wrote: »
    What are you doing to stand its corner? Are you campaigning for the right to travel to kill the unborn child to be repealed? Are you campaigning for women who terminate pregnancies abroad and return home to face criminal charges, along with anyone who travels with them? Seems very strange that the unborn has a right to life, but I could head off tomorrow with the unborn and kill it somewhere else and return home and the rights of the unborn won't be addressed at all.

What are you doing to make abortion legal in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

The irish government and irish law has little to no jurisdiction in other legal systems.

Can you back this up with stats?

A quick google or common sense should prevail here

What are you doing to make abortion legal in Ireland?
    Plugging away with abortion rights campaigners and donating to organisations working to repeal the eighth. What are you doing to vindicate the right of the unborn not to be killed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My point being the pro choice crowd have filled this thread up with arguments which have nothing to do with the vast majority of abortions

Why do you think that is? Because all women are covered by the law as it stands. I would be well able to plan a trip to the UK if I needed to but a young girl can't, a woman with an intellectual disability can't, a rape victim may not be emotionally able to...a couple whose baby has a FFA may not be able to due to the costs. We always say the UK is available as if it's easy to travel, it's not easy or possible for everyone.

A quick google or common sense should prevail here
    Could you provide the stats? You did make the claim.

Maybe you could tell these women they should have used contraception:
    http://www.terminationformedicalreasons.com/

Plugging away with abortion rights campaigners and donating to organisations working to repeal the eighth. What are you doing to vindicate the right of the unborn not to be killed?

So nothing really apart from posting on boards, just like nox.

The irish government and irish law has little to no jurisdiction in other legal systems.
    But you can face consenquences here for things that are legal abroad, such as helping someone born travel to die. Why can't we do that for the unborn?

• Advertisement

I don't need to list the things I've done, much like I know you don't need to list what you're doing to prevent the unborn being taken elsewhere to be killed.

Could you provide the stats? You did make the claim.

Maybe you could tell these women they should have used contraception:
    http://www.terminationformedicalreasons.com/

Of course there should be exceptions. I implied that already. You not read my first post? If you need stats on such a matter, then you are just being pedantic to sidetrack the debate. Use google my friend. Or do you care to provide evidence on the contrary if I really am way of the mark? Because if you can I'll hold me hand up. I'm not holding my breath

What are you doing to support all those women who are pregnant and don't want to be? Are you just going to moralise at them ?

eviltwin wrote: »
    What are you doing to support all those women who are pregnant and don't want to be? Are you just going to moralise at them ?

Nothing, which is just as much as anyone on either side of the debate on this thread has done

Of course there should be exceptions. I implied that already. You not read my first post? If you need stats on such a matter, then you are just being pedantic to sidetrack the debate. Use google my friend. Or do you care to provide evidence on the contrary if I really am way of the mark? Because if you can I'll hold me hand up. I'm not holding my breath
    So some unborn children are worthy of protection but others are not. Why is that? Why is a women pregnant because of not using contraception obliged to remain pregnant while others are allowed to kill the unborn?

Nothing, which is just as much as anyone on either side of the debate on this thread has done
    You could always donate to the Abortion Support Network which helps women who don't want to be pregnant. I have, many times.

So some unborn children are worthy of protection but others are not. Why is that? Why is a women pregnant because of not using contraception obliged to remain pregnant while others are allowed to kill the unborn?

There is a massive difference between somone having an abortion because they dont want the baby and having one because for instance there is extreme risk to the womans life.

One is a lifestyle choice and one is a medical decision and a very very tough one to make at that.
    You could always donate to the Abortion Support Network which helps women who don't want to be pregnant. I have, many times.

Or they could avail of all the support of their friends and family and medical care in Ireland available to pregnant women.

There is a massive difference between somone having an abortion because they dont want the baby and having one because for instance there is extreme risk to the womans life.

One is a lifestyle choice and one is a medical decision and a very very tough one to make at that.

I suppose you think the women who have abortions for non medical reasons just treat it like a holiday? :rolleyes:

Why is there a massive difference? No one is obliged to die to vindicate my right to life or that of my children. Why does the unborn have to die so a woman can live? Is that because there's a difference between an unborn and born person? What about the risk to a woman's health, is that grounds for killing the unborn?

• Advertisement

Or they could avail of all the support of their friends and family and medical care in Ireland available to pregnant women.

Which support is that? The kind Miss Y got when she told medical personnel she no longer wanted to remain pregnant?

I suppose you think the women who have abortions for non medical reasons just treat it like a holiday? :rolleyes:

I never said it was a holiday, my opinion is they shouldn't be going in the first place and should be keeping the baby.

There are arguments on the side of medical reasons and arguments to be had on situations of rape etc, there is none whatsoever on doing it as a lifestyle choice. It should never ever be allowed in Ireland, nor should it have been allowed anywhere else either.
    Which support is that? The kind Miss Y got when she told medical personnel she no longer wanted to remain pregnant?

The kind you get if you are planning to remain pregnant and give birth to the baby.

I never said it was a holiday, my opinion is they shouldn't be going in the first place and should be keeping the baby.
    So how can the constitution be amended to repeal women's right to travel to kill the unborn? Should we have a referendum on it?

The kind you get if you are planning to remain pregnant and give birth to the baby.
    And if you're not planning to remain pregnant and give birth, what support should you get?

And if they decide for whatever reason not to do that, that should be it. No one should be made to feel guilty for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

This is like the nonsense response that often gets trotted out when ever people are discussing false rape allegations...
    "I suppose you think women just out of the blue decide to accuse a man of rape for the craic like".

It's as if men should never dare speak about women unless they are doing so in the context of them always being pure of heart.

You'd swear butter wouldn't melt in your mouths the way you speak about your own gender. Well, some of you at least.
    And if they decide for whatever reason not to do that, that should be it. No one should be made to feel guilty for it.

Ha and we're told women lack confidence in themselves and don't feel on an equal footing to men in society. From what I can see of society today women in general are far from lacking in confidence and statements like that make that abundantly clear. Seriously, what in the hell makes you think that a woman should be able to take the life of an unborn child for any reason at all like and it be nobody's business but her own? You think that a civilized society humans should just sit back and not care about what happens to their developing offspring and the reasons why it is that some women are choosing to terminate them? I'm shocked at an woman being so callous to be quite honest with but then sure when I about the likes of Mamie Cadden, nothing should surprise me really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My point being the pro choice crowd have filled this thread up with arguments which have nothing to do with the vast majority of abortions

What makes you such an expert on the reasons behind the majority of women having abortions? From your posts you sound like a chap who is bitter that his girlfriend is pregnant and who feels lumbered with the girlfriend and the pregnancy. As much as I hope you get your happy ever after, the fact that you're broke, having a baby that you don't seem thrilled about and have another 3 years of study ahead of you it seems unlikely. You have a very old fashioned attitude, which you are entitled to, but which sounds ridiculously out of touch with reality.

The tone of many of the pro life posts in this thread is quite worrying. It's worrying that so many feel that a woman should be forced not only to continue with a pregnancy that she doesn't want, but should be forced to keep the child. That's an unhealthy view point. So long as these attitudes prevail good old Catholic Ireland will never die, which is a shame because usually old age and death take care of that but so many people here are far from old.

This is like the nonsense response that often gets trotted out when ever people are discussing false rape allegations...

It's as if men should never dare speak about women unless they are doing so in the context of them always being pure of heart.

You'd swear butter wouldn't melt in your mouths the way you speak about your own gender. Well, some of you at least.

Ha and we're told women lack confidence in themselves and don't feel on an equal footing to men in society. From what I can see of society today women in general are far from lacking in confidence and statements like that make that abundantly clear. Seriously, what in the hell makes you think that a woman should be able to take the life of an unborn child for any reason at all like and it be nobody's business but her own? You think that a civilized society humans should just sit back and not care about what happens to their developing offspring and the reasons why it is that some women are choosing to terminate them? I'm shocked at an woman being so callous to be quite honest with but then sure when I about the likes of Mamie Cadden, nothing should surprise me really.

Most people would see it as a good thing that women have a bit of self confidence and are able to make their own decisions these days even if you might not agree with the decisions they make. I don't know why you are surprise a woman would be pro choice - a lot of us are. Not all women get excited and broody at the thought of a pregnancy. If they make a decision to end that pregnancy I don't need to know, I trust that any woman making that decision has made an informed choice just like I do with those who decide to have the baby. You think that's callous? I think your lack of empathy for women is callous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

So how can the constitution be amended to repeal women's right to travel to kill the unborn? Should we have a referendum on it?

I think a lot of countries have laws that apply internationally. It's certainly possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The shaming of women who have abortions is horrific. I suppose we have to find some group to replace single mothers as the bad guys :rolleyes: There is no shame in having an abortion, I've done it and I am a very nice, respectable middle aged woman. I bet most people here who think of me as a murderer would like me if they met me. :) Until more women like me come out and be honest and show the country that abortion is not something that only affects other women or a certain type of woman nothing will change.
    It's also noticeable that posters who are ranting on about evil baby killing women are never brave enough to have the courage of their convictions when someone says "Well actually I had one, and nobody who knows me thinks I'm evil" - it happened me shortly after I joined this site, and the poster concerned disappeared pdq. Odd really. :)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

What makes you such an expert on the reasons behind the majority of women having abortions? From your posts you sound like a chap who is bitter that his girlfriend is pregnant and who feels lumbered with the girlfriend and the pregnancy. As much as I hope you get your happy ever after, the fact that you're broke, having a baby that you don't seem thrilled about and have another 3 years of study ahead of you it seems unlikely. You have a very old fashioned attitude, which you are entitled to, but which sounds ridiculously out of touch with reality.

The tone of many of the pro life posts in this thread is quite worrying. It's worrying that so many feel that a woman should be forced not only to continue with a pregnancy that she doesn't want, but should be forced to keep the child. That's an unhealthy view point. So long as these attitudes prevail good old Catholic Ireland will never die, which is a shame because usually old age and death take care of that but so many people here are far from old.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you disagree with the idea that someone (or at least a woman) should be forced to continue with something they don't want?

Let's say my wife and I have a child. But afterwards, we decide it's too much of a commitment. Is it okay for us to just leave that child somewhere? Or do you think the law should force us to take care of it until we can reasonably make other arrangements to ensure it's safety?

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    It's also noticeable that posters who are ranting on about evil baby killing women are never brave enough to have the courage of their convictions when someone says "Well actually I had one, and nobody who knows me thinks I'm evil" - it happened me shortly after I joined this site, and the poster concerned disappeared pdq. Odd really. :)

I don't think many people expect to hear from women who have had abortions on debates like this, especially people who they might have interacted with on other threads. We seem so normal :eek:

UCDVet wrote: »
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you disagree with the idea that someone (or at least a woman) should be forced to continue with something they don't want?

Let's say my wife and I have a child. But afterwards, we decide it's too much of a commitment. Is it okay for us to just leave that child somewhere? Or do you think the law should force us to take care of it until we can reasonably make other arrangements to ensure it's safety?

I would hope the law wouldn't force a child to stay with parents who don't want to take care of it!

I would hope the law wouldn't force a child to stay with parents who don't want to take care of it!

Of course not. But I'm asking if it should be legal for my wife and I to leave our child outside our door because we no longer want it; or if we should be legally required to make safe arrangements for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 I Miei Occhialli

That has nothing to do with the moral argument.

That has nothing to do with the moral argument.

Another new poster...they are attracted to abortion threads like flies to sh!t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 I Miei Occhialli

You didn't answer the question.

You didn't answer the question.

You didn't ask me a question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Of course not. But I'm asking if it should be legal for my wife and I to leave our child outside our door because we no longer want it; or if we should be legally required to make safe arrangements for it.

It's a child. A fetus isn't. One crucial difference being that if for some reason you can't take care of your child, society will step in - and indeed may take it from you against your will in some cases.

But since a pregnant woman can't do that, and nor can anyone take her fetus away if she isn't looking after it well enough (because the fetus is physically unable to live outside her womb) your analogy doesn't work.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Its a difficult one to answer UCD because in this instance you are talking about a living child. I don't see a foetus the same way I see the living child. I don't believe anyone who abandons a child should be forced to do so in a certain manner, if for example you think you are close to having a breakdown and you may harm the child you should leave him or her somewhere, a shop, church whatever. If you just want rid of them for a few weeks so you can go on holiday obviously that is different and we're getting into a whole different debate there. But again, its a debate about a born child, if you have made the decision to proceed with a pregnancy and you deliver a child its a totally different issue to ending a pregnancy before the birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Brancott wrote: »
    I see the 2014 figures are up slightly for Irish women having abortions in the UK.

Of course what these figures haven't account for is the amount of women who purchase abortion pills online & successfully get them passed customs.

The effect of cheap air travel has also meant that the UK is no longer an exclusive destination for this procedure.

The true figure is probably then much higher than the 3,735 quoted, perhaps even a multiple of it.

Not lets be Irish about this & pretend it doesn't exist then bury our heads in the sand.

Amnesty international has weighed in on this of late.

It's not just the fact a woman cannot have an abortion it's the arbitrary sentences she would face if she did. Breaking Ireland’s abortion law could get you 14 years in jail or a €4,000 fine. A woman must carry to full term a foetus that won't live. In Ireland, abortion is only allowed if you are in immediate danger of dying.Ireland is happy for you to have an abortion .......... as long as it’s not in Ireland. About four thousand do this.

14 years! Think about that. For a fetus that perhaps would not go to full term.

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    It's a child. A fetus isn't. One crucial difference being that if for some reason you can't take care of your child, society will step in - and indeed may take it from you against your will in some cases.

But since a pregnant woman can't do that, and nor can anyone take her fetus away if she isn't looking after it well enough (because the fetus is physically unable to live outside her womb) your analogy doesn't work.

That's a fine view to hold, but that means there isn't a problem with FORCING people to do things they don't want to. It's just that, you don't consider a fetus worth forcing someone to keep around; but a child is more valuable in your eyes.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, it's just our society is filled with laws that force us to do things or face serious consequences, so I just wanted to understand how that all fit together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

That's a fine view to hold, but that means there isn't a problem with FORCING people to do things they don't want to. It's just that, you don't consider a fetus worth forcing someone to keep around; but a child is more valuable in your eyes.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, it's just our society is filled with laws that force us to do things or face serious consequences, so I just wanted to understand how that all fit together.

Most of our laws are more in line with forcing people NOT to do certain things than forcing them TO do certain things.

We are never all going to agree on this topic. It is far too emotionally loaded. When you have one side saying that a zygote is a child and the other saying that a baby isn't a human being until it's born and the rest of us somewhere in the middle, but at different stages, no, there will be no agreement.

We should perhaps be a bit careful how we use language in this debate though.

There are also a large number of people who believe that a woman should have a right to choose if she wishes to give over her body to a zygote-foetus-baby for nine months over its development, but in that situation, could not choose to have an abortion herself. There are also people who feel that abortion is absolutely wrong, but if they were in the situation themselves, would find a reason why their abortion is entirely justified. That's just how people work.

I am afraid when it came to it, I would choose a small child over a baby, a baby over a foetus, a foetus over a zygote. And I would choose a woman's body over a foetus or a zygote. A baby, once it's come into the world, can be protected outside the mother's body and does not need to be entirely reliant upon her. I would also protect that baby's right to life.

Now for my hypocritical stance - I would sway more towards the foetus' right to life if it was in the third trimester, when its systems are nearly complete and it can nearly survive outside the womb, UNLESS the mother's life or sanity is in danger. I am far more pro-choice in the early stages, whatever the reasoning.

I don't care what others think of my stance, pro-choice or pro-life. That is my own moral ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

kylith wrote: »
    But the point is that you never stopped to consider why someone who had had an abortion might want to bring the body home. To consider why someone would do something apparently never crossed your mind; you were too eager to find ways to point at them and shout 'Look! Look! Look how evil this person is!' and I'm willing to bet that a lot of your opinion on abortion is formed by that mindset.

You're 'undecided' as to whether a woman who has been raped shouldn't have to be forced to have that rape extended by 9 months and have another traumatic experience because you don't seem to have the capacity to put yourself in that woman's shoes and really try to feel what she must be feeling, or the 16 year old who 'decided' to have sex because she was afraid her boyfriend would dump her and whose Catholic school carried out only basic sex ed, or the couple who already have 4 children and the father lost his job and now they're on the dole and already having to get food parcels from the SVdP. All you do is proclaim 'Tough sht!' and call them murderers.

A common theme I have found especially on boards is that people only get abortions because they want to kill a child. There is a complete lack of understanding of why a woman would want to have an abortion and the effects pregnancy can have with it being referred to something like "a bit of discomfort" and as we saw with nox, that it is not possible for a woman to have an abortion while wanting a baby. All women who had an abortion due to FFA and wanted a child are nothing but murderers and didnt care about their child when its the exact opposite.
    The shaming of women who have abortions is horrific. I suppose we have to find some group to replace single mothers as the bad guys :rolleyes: There is no shame in having an abortion, I've done it and I am a very nice, respectable middle aged woman. I bet most people here who think of me as a murderer would like me if they met me. :) Until more women like me come out and be honest and show the country that abortion is not something that only affects other women or a certain type of woman nothing will change.

You get groups doing their best to make a woman feel guilty about having an abortion and then use her as the typical woman who regrets having an abortion so they should be illegal. Its not like their harassment had anything to do with it.

Samaris wrote: »
    Most of our laws are more in line with forcing people NOT to do certain things than forcing them TO do certain things.

We are never all going to agree on this topic. It is far too emotionally loaded. When you have one side saying that a zygote is a child and the other saying that a baby isn't a human being until it's born and the rest of us somewhere in the middle, but at different stages, no, there will be no agreement.

We should perhaps be a bit careful how we use language in this debate though.

There are also a large number of people who believe that a woman should have a right to choose if she wishes to give over her body to a zygote-foetus-baby for nine months over its development, but in that situation, could not choose to have an abortion herself. There are also people who feel that abortion is absolutely wrong, but if they were in the situation themselves, would find a reason why their abortion is entirely justified. That's just how people work.

I am afraid when it came to it, I would choose a small child over a baby, a baby over a foetus, a foetus over a zygote. And I would choose a woman's body over a foetus or a zygote. A baby, once it's come into the world, can be protected outside the mother's body and does not need to be entirely reliant upon her. I would also protect that baby's right to life.

Now for my hypocritical stance - I would sway more towards the foetus' right to life if it was in the third trimester, when its systems are nearly complete and it can nearly survive outside the womb, UNLESS the mother's life or sanity is in danger. I am far more pro-choice in the early stages, whatever the reasoning.

I don't care what others think of my stance, pro-choice or pro-life. That is my own moral ground.

Sure, we have lots of laws that say you can't do X - but we also have contract law, legally recognized debts, really all sorts of laws that say, 'If you do X, even by accident, you have to do Y'. If I accidentally hit someone with my car, even if I don't want to, the law says I have to stop. Plus, all sorts of laws around taxes and income. And, if I have kids, there are lots of laws about how I have to treat them, including laws that prevent me from putting them in the trash.

I *can* get rid of my children, but I have to do it in a safe fashion, or face legal consequences.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. And I get that it's a sensitive topic.

They just shouldn't have the abortion in the first place. When a woman is pregnant she is no longer just making decisions for herself she is responsible for the life of her baby and should not be allowed make a decision which ends the child's life without exceptionally good reasons such as extreme threat to her health.

Its no different to how a parent is responsible for their child when they are born. They cant just leave a baby in their cot and go off for a weeks holiday.
    but should be forced to keep the child.

I don't think that was suggested by a single person. There are many many family's who would give anything for a child and will gladly adopt those who they mother/parents don't want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

They just shouldn't have the abortion in the first place. When a woman is pregnant she is no longer just making decisions for herself she is responsible for the life of her baby and should not be allowed make a decision which ends the child's life without exceptionally good reasons such as extreme threat to her health.

With our current system the womans health is irrelevant, as long as the woman will survive then it doesnt matter what condition she's in. The doctors have to be sure that she will die before they can give her an abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

With our current system the womans health is irrelevant, as long as the woman will survive then it doesnt matter what condition she's in. The doctors have to be sure that she will die before they can give her an abortion.

Scary as hell, isn't it? :(

As a parent of a female child growing up in this country, POLDPA is the stuff of nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

seenitall wrote: »
    Scary as hell, isn't it? :(

As a parent of a female child growing up in this country, POLDPA is the stuff of nightmares.

What is poldpa?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

What is poldpa?

Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act, although I don't know much detail about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

:)
    A common theme I have found especially on boards is that people only get abortions because they want to kill a child. There is a complete lack of understanding of why a woman would want to have an abortion and the effects pregnancy can have with it being referred to something like "a bit of discomfort" and as we saw with nox, that it is not possible for a woman to have an abortion while wanting a baby. All women who had an abortion due to FFA and wanted a child are nothing but murderers and didnt care about their child when its the exact opposite.

I'm pretty sure nox pointed out that he/she said he did think people should be able to have an abortion in the case of FFA. And no one said they thought that anyone had an abortion "because they wanted to kill a child". Really that sort of hysterical misrepresenting of other people's views serves no one.

Advertisement