Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Predator XB270HU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Once I disable G-sync and try to activate ULMB mode the monitor displays a message stating ULMB mode is only supported at 85hz - 100hz.

This reddit user reports seeing a similar screen message except with 85, 100, 120.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/39ezjs/xb270hu_ulmb_at_120hz_on_may_2015_model/

I cant find anything else so far that mentions a new model though.

I am finding people talking about receiving a May model on Newegg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

FAILSAFE, I am bit confused by this. I will have the same graphics set up as you once I get a second 970 but everyone is talking about how great G-SYNC is, why would you opt to use ULMB instead of it?

Maybe if it is a game that the graphics cards are powerful enough to run without it ever dipping below 60fps?

dusf wrote: »
    FAILSAFE, I am bit confused by this. I will have the same graphics set up as you once I get a second 970 but everyone is talking about how great G-SYNC is, why would you opt to use ULMB instead of it?

Maybe if it is a game that the graphics cards are powerful enough to run without it ever dipping below 60fps?

You really wouldn't. Some gamers who play CS GO and other shooters competitively say that its better for FPS games.

Its my first time even turning on ULMB. It reduces motion blur by flashing the backlight like a CRT monitor. Its supposed to be better than G-Sync for FPS games where you can get really sustainable high frame rates like CS Go 200+ FPS.

I have been playing a lot of CS GO with G-Sync enabled at a stable 142 FPS and it runs super smooth. I'll put in a few competitive games of CS GO later using ULMB and report back. My feeling is that it will strain the eyes a bit with its flicker but we'll see.

My guess is 98% of the time you'll be using G-Sync. Its just incredibly smooth with no screen tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Thanks for that test FAILSAFE. I will probably prefer G-sync over ULMB in most situations, but for fast online FPS I do want to try ULMB. I was hoping to get 120 Hz as that would help with smoothing out the flicker.

It's possible that a future version of G-sync will enable ULMB and G-sync at the same time, but it would be quite tricky to implement.

Luck100, any joy with the refund, any word on your order status, end of June also or sooner?

• Advertisement

So, I have played a good few rounds of CS GO competitive playlist tonight with ULMB enabled at 100hz refresh rate.

Now I am still very new to CS GO so I don't have mad skillz :D just to get that on record lol.

I pulled off a good few kills tonight that would normally be more challenging for me. I got a good few kills one after the other which surprised me. Cat like reflexes earlier, I was a bit surprised at some of the kills :)

lock-stock-barrels-2.jpg

The only negative was that the game doesn't run as smooth as when G-Sync is enabled however I can live with that just for playing CS GO. For a game like Battlefield I'll still use G-Sync. I was getting an average of 280 FPS in-game.

So in summary you sacrifice smoothness for probably a millisecond of response time that would only really matter in a game like CS GO. I'll definitely keep using ULMB mode just for CS GO.

I spoke to computer universe just a few minutes ago. I'm getting a refund for the price reduction. They're awaiting delivery of stock for late in June.

Two weeks+ since I ordered and still waiting....

They told me a few weeks ago end of June/start of July and today I received an email and the order status has changed to:

Wareneingang wurde erwartet am 02.07.2015. Dieser Termin wurde von unserem Lieferanten leider überschritten. Unsere Einkaufsabteilung bemüht sich bereits um diesen Vorgang.

very roughly Google translated:

Goods receipt was expected on 02.07.2015. This date was unfortunately exceeded by our supplier. Our purchasing department strives to already this procedure.

I am assuming the part 'strives to already this procedure' means something along the lines of 'strives to rectify this'. They are open tomorrow morning so I will call them now.

Any joy your end?

I got the exact same email. I had a quick peak at geizhals.de and nobody in Europe has stock that I can see. Most likely we are waiting on the next production shipment.

• Advertisement

After 40 minutes holding they told me they are now expecting it Monday or Tuesday, but they told me previously they were expecting it end of June/start of July so I would not be surprised if it is delayed further.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Hey folks

Seems like people on this thread have a fair idea of monitors. I am looking at getting a 27" soon enough[end of month], and was wondering if I could pick your brains.Running a 4790K, EVGA 970 FTW+, and 16GB RAM.

I want to future proof myself as a monitor has a hefty price tag. I will probably buy a second 970 later this year possibly, if I need it. I mainly play single player games, and watching the odd movie or two. And I have come from a Radeon Mobile 5650 and using a Samsung B2430H, so everything is a massive step up :P

Should i look at getting a Predator as above, or soemthing else? How well will a Predator run with a single 970? Should I wait until later in the year? Im not really in any particular rush, as obviously the 24" is working fine for me atm.

And a related note, anyone tried any soundbars for combined TV/Gaming use they would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm looking at this monitor as well. Been waiting for an IPS G-sync monitor since the ROG Swift was released..looking at the latest batch reviews it looks like Asus has dramatically increased the QA control and reviews of the monitors are very good. I'm guessing since everyone is out of stock that means all new stock will hopefully be of a higher quality.
    For anyone that ordered it please let me know what you think of it.

Shougeki wrote: »
    Hey folks

Seems like people on this thread have a fair idea of monitors. I am looking at getting a 27" soon enough[end of month], and was wondering if I could pick your brains.Running a 4790K, EVGA 970 FTW+, and 16GB RAM.

I want to future proof myself as a monitor has a hefty price tag. I will probably buy a second 970 later this year possibly, if I need it. I mainly play single player games, and watching the odd movie or two. And I have come from a Radeon Mobile 5650 and using a Samsung B2430H, so everything is a massive step up :P

Should i look at getting a Predator as above, or soemthing else? How well will a Predator run with a single 970? Should I wait until later in the year? Im not really in any particular rush, as obviously the 24" is working fine for me atm.

And a related note, anyone tried any soundbars for combined TV/Gaming use they would recommend?

You rig should be fine for running 1440p. If you really want to crank the settings and hit 144 Hz then you might want to step up to SLI. But no hurry, I would try it with one card and see what you think first. I was running 1440p with a single 670 a few years ago and it was fine for most games at the time.

I'll post back here when I actually get the monitor. I haven't seen G-sync in person yet so I'm just assuming I'll like it based on what I've read.

As for future proof - it's hard to really call it "future proof" since 4K is already here so 1440p might look quite dated in two or three years. But I'm okay with that.

Luck100 wrote: »
    As for future proof - it's hard to really call it "future proof" since 4K is already here so 1440p might look quite dated in two or three years. But I'm okay with that.

Yeah, well what Ive come from this will good for the next few years. :D

Thanks for your input & help. Much appreciated.

Hey folks

Your 970 will work great with the predator and any monitor.

I turned off SLI to have a look at running one 970 and it works great.

I think you should consider waiting a few months. The predator is priced very high because it's the first 144hz IPS monitor on the market. Within a few months competitors will release similar G-Sync monitors which should IMO bring down the price.

I think you should consider waiting a few months. The predator is priced very high because it's the first 144hz IPS monitor on the market. Within a few months competitors will release similar G-Sync monitors which should IMO bring down the price.

Thanks FAILSAFE. I have no problem waiting around [other than potentially spending the money :P].

Your 970 will work great with the predator and any monitor.

I turned off SLI to have a look at running one 970 and it works great.

There's only one similar monitor that I know of in the pipeline: the Asus ROG SWIFT PG279Q. It will use the same panel as the Acer Predator. Since it's Asus I can't imagine it will be cheaper than the Predator. It will probably have somewhat nicer build quality and appearance, but actual image quality should be near identical. I think the Asus will come out late this year or early 2016. That's why I decided to pull the trigger now for the Acer...there's no sign of a cheaper or better alternative for at least a year.

ARG. Just realised this monitor only has a single input. I use a second for Movies from a different device. Dammit.

I think all the existing Gsync monitors only have a single displayport input.

• Advertisement

ARG. Just realised this monitor only has a single input. I use a second for Movies from a different device. Dammit.
    Yep, G-Sync limitation unfortunately.

The Acer predator is a real enthusiast grade monitor. No bells and whistles, no built in speakers, no HDMI, no DVI/VGA. Fantastic gaming monitor but for a fraction of the cost you can get a monitor with all the bells and whistles minus G-Sync.

I have to say that G-Sync is worth it but I'd love a HDMI port.

Hmmm

Do you think they will release a monitor with 27", 144Hz, G-Sync and multiple inputs?

Do I really need GSync, having not seen the difference [and currently running on a Samsung 24" as above]

Any recommendations on the monitor with bells and whistles without the GSync?

Hmmm

Do you think they will release a monitor with 27", 144Hz, G-Sync and multiple inputs?

Do I really need GSync, having not seen the difference [and currently running on a Samsung 24" as above]

Any recommendations on the monitor with bells and whistles without the GSync?

Are you already using G-Sync on a 24" Samsung monitor?

I notice instantly when I have G-Sync off, the games aren't as smooth and screen tearing appears. At the moment there is no talk about G-Sync working alongside other ports. AMD's free sync can but free sync is much more limited in its FPS range (under 100)

A monitor I was looking at was the Dell ultra sharp 25" model number u2515h.
    It's a 1440p monitor, 60hz with multiple ports, fantastic colours and it upscales 1080p content very well. It's good for playing Xbox & PS. It's about €315 from varies retailers in the EU.

What I do is plug my HDMI sources into my second PC monitor.

Im using a 4 1/2 year old Samsung B2430H :P
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001388

So no GSync. My question is do you think there will be a monitor out thta will have multiple inputs, but only use GSync on the DisplayPort? If so I could wait for that.

Im using a 4 1/2 year old Samsung B2430H :P
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001388

So no GSync. My question is do you think there will be a monitor out thta will have multiple inputs, but only use GSync on the DisplayPort? If so I could wait for that.

No. From the looks of things they can't get a G-Sync module and regular ports to co-exist.

No word on that changing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Does anyone have the ASUS MG279Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

After seeing how smooth a high refresh rate tv looks I'm interested in this monitor. I have an IPS but the screen tearing is pretty terrible for gaming, other than that it is a solid screen. Going to upgrade to a 970 (Oculus ref, woo) at some point in the future so hopefully I can get one of these beauties early next year. Hopefully there will be competition to drive the price down though :D

What about a non G-Sync IPS @ 1440p with multiple inputs and adding the module manually?

Actually as I write this, I am realizing I probably don't need G-Sync, and the premium for it is probably just ridiculous for me.

Anyone have any recommendations then for a 27" 144Hz 1440p monitor for me?
    A different site suggested LG 27MB85R.

What about a non G-Sync IPS @ 1440p with multiple inputs and adding the module manually?

Actually as I write this, I am realizing I probably don't need G-Sync, and the premium for it is probably just ridiculous for me.

Anyone have any recommendations then for a 27" 144Hz 1440p monitor for me?
    A different site suggested LG 27MB85R.

You can't add a G-sync module to a monitor. It's part of the monitor and it replaces the scaler. The G-sync module is actually tuned by NVidia specifically for each monitor, which is why it's taking so long for more G-sync models to launch.

That LG seems nice enough but it's not 144 Hz. As far as I know the only 144Hz 1440p monitors are the new Gsync and Freesync models.

• Advertisement

The G-Sync modules were previously for sale by Nvidia for a short while and then they decided to stop selling the module.

I assume it's more profitable to partner with monitor manufactures.

I was looking at a few Korean 1440p monitors but I just didn't want to risk getting a faulty one. Qnix is one brand. These can be overclocked from 60-120hz although a result isn't usually guaranteed.

Advertisement