Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Predator XB270HU

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Well, balls.

I was hoping for a multi input IPS, 27" 1440p 144Hz

So all ive got is:
    Acer XB270HU [Single Input, G-Sync]
    or
    ASUS MG MG279Q [Multi Input, Freesync]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Shougeki wrote: »
    Well, balls.

I was hoping for a multi input IPS, 27" 1440p 144Hz

So all ive got is:
    Acer XB270HU [Single Input, G-Sync]
    or
    ASUS MG MG279Q [Multi Input, Freesync]
    That would be the holy mecca of monitors :D

For me I have one G-Sync monitor with one display port input and one regular 24 inch Dell monitor with multi ports for all my other media.

That would be the holy mecca of monitors :D

For me I have one G-Sync monitor with one display port input and one regular 24 inch Dell monitor with multi ports for all my other media.

Yeah, seems I always want the impossible.

Do you think there ever will be a G-Sync with the above, even in six months or so?

Seems to cost exactly 100 bucks for G-Sync, [one is 650, the other 750]

Do you think there ever will be a G-Sync with the above, even in six months or so?

From all the information thats out there at the moment there wont be one out even in a year or even more.

Nvidia are only starting with G-Sync, there have been substantial updates recently. G-Sync couldn't work in windowed mode up until a few weeks ago. My guess is they will perfect G-Sync and then think about multi port support well down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vade

Just to give you a heads up the MG279Q is very hit and miss in terms of QC, I bought one myself upon its launch and returned it due to severe backlight bleed issues, many other users reported the same issue but this may have been resolved in a newly manufactured batch.

I replaced it with the BenQ XL2730Z and although it is a TN panel it is amazing, the viewing angles are some of the best I've seen on a TN even though these never really become an issue if you're sitting in front of it anyway.

• Advertisement

Vade wrote: »
    I replaced it with the BenQ XL2730Z and although it is a TN panel it is amazing, the viewing angles are some of the best I've seen on a TN even though these never really become an issue if you're sitting in front of it anyway.

Seems to be a 10-20€ difference between this TN and the Asus IPS... [On the few German sites I checked anyways]....

I know sweet F-all about monitors. Give me enterprise class racked kit, or SANs, or anything and I'm golden. Getting stuff for myself at home I don't have much of a clue :P

Seems to be a 10-20€ difference between this TN and the Asus IPS... [On the few German sites I checked anyways]....

I know sweet F-all about monitors. Give me enterprise class racked kit, or SANs, or anything and I'm golden. Getting stuff for myself at home I don't have much of a clue :P
    Its a learning curve. I was the same. I spent a good few months researching monitors and kept an eye on what was due out and weighed up my options.

A great website to check for outstanding detailed reviews is Tft Central. Don't let the outdated website design put you off because they do the most detailed reviews of monitors that have ever seen. They also colour calibrate each monitor they review and share those profiles with you so you can download and apply them.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I second the recommendation for TFT central.

I also recommend blurbusters.com for the best information on latency, LCD blur, and blur-reduction strobing (like the ULMB mode on all the G-sync monitors).

Just got an email saying my monitor is shipping out.

dusf wrote: »
    After 40 minutes holding they told me they are now expecting it Monday or Tuesday, but they told me previously they were expecting it end of June/start of July so I would not be surprised if it is delayed further.

Hey dusf, did you get your monitor yet? Mine arrived last week. I'm very impressed with G-sync and ULMB. The backlight is super strong - I only have brightness at 30. There is some IPS glow in the corners, but only visible at night with all the room lights turned out. Not really any worse than my Dell IPS. No dead pixels. Unfortunately I do have one dust blob. Not sure if I should do an exchange. Apparently it's possible to pop open the monitor and blow it out with canned air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Luck100 wrote: »
    Hey dusf, did you get your monitor yet? Mine arrived last week. I'm very impressed with G-sync and ULMB. The backlight is super strong - I only have brightness at 30. There is some IPS glow in the corners, but only visible at night with all the room lights turned out. Not really any worse than my Dell IPS. No dead pixels. Unfortunately I do have one dust blob. Not sure if I should do an exchange. Apparently it's possible to pop open the monitor and blow it out with canned air.

Hey, mine arrived last week and I am happy with it though I do not have much experience with high-end monitors, and I have only been playing Rust! With my GTX 970 SLI I get around 60 FPS (most beautiful settings), I tried on the lowest settings (fastest setting) and I only saw an increase of 5 to 10 FPS so not really worth lowering.

When I go into the Nvidia control panel I see an option to allow G-Sync all of the time or just when maximized. How should I set this for best performance?

Is there anything else I need to install or configure to have it working optimally? I need to read up again on when to turn G-Sync off and use ULMB.

How can I test the monitor for the issues you mentioned?

Also, have you put in custom settings from anywhere?

Hey, mine arrived last week and I am happy with it though I do not have much experience with high-end monitors, and I have only been playing Rust! With my GTX 970 SLI I get around 60 FPS (most beautiful settings), I tried on the lowest settings (fastest setting) and I only saw an increase of 5 to 10 FPS so not really worth lowering.

When I go into the Nvidia control panel I see an option to allow G-Sync all of the time or just when maximized. How should I set this for best performance?

Is there anything else I need to install or configure to have it working optimally? I need to read up again on when to turn G-Sync off and use ULMB.

How can I test the monitor for the issues you mentioned?
    With Rust and other early access Steam games its unlikely you'll get more than 60fps. These games just haven't been fully optimised yet and some are very CPU intensive.

Have you enabled SLI in the the Nvidia control panel?

Set G-Sync to run all the time. The monitor stays in G-Sync mode unless you turn off G-Sync in the control panel and activate ULMB mode on the monitor. I find no real use for ULMB so I am always using G-Sync.

Have you upped the monitor refresh rate to 144hz yet?
    Also, have you put in custom settings from anywhere?

You'll find calibrated custom settings here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xg270hu.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The new Asus G-sync IPS model has hdmi and display port. Its scheduled to launch in August. I'm mad to get one of these g sync monitors but holding out to see what the Asus one is like.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/144-hz-g-sync-ips-asus-pg2749q-monitor-coming-q3-for-800/

Blazer wrote: »
    The new Asus G-sync IPS model has hdmi and display port. Its scheduled to launch in August. I'm mad to get one of these g sync monitors but holding out to see what the Asus one is like.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/144-hz-g-sync-ips-asus-pg2749q-monitor-coming-q3-for-800/
    I haven't found anything yet saying it has hdmi ports. Is there anything from Asus talking about the ports?

There's a whole thread discussing the upcoming Asus on overclock.net. It does say that it will have HDMI as well as DisplayPort (but you have to use DP for G-sync and 144 Hz).

http://www.overclock.net/t/1558309/various-asus-debuts-rog-swift-pg279q-144hz-ips-and-g-sync

Only thing is there'll be massive shortages for months for it...lets hope the first release don't have the issues the original one had.

I get the impression the launch date for the Asus will slip. And there may be shortages initially.

Its a 4k monitor also so if your PC rig targets 1440p you'll be up-scaling to 4k.

Thats great that it will have a HDMI, hopefully there's an easy G-Sync on and off switch.

I doubt people will get great quality from upscaling 1080p content on XB1 & PS4 to 4k. I don't that will be a runner. I see people posting that they want the HDMI port for it.

Edit: I am looking at a different monitor by ASUS I think.

Its a 4k monitor also so if your PC rig targets 1440p you'll be up-scaling to 4k.

Thats great that it will have a HDMI, hopefully there's an easy G-Sync on and off switch.

I doubt people will get great quality from upscaling 1080p content on XB1 & PS4 to 4k. I don't that will be a runner. I see people posting that they want the HDMI port for it.

Edit: I am looking at a different monitor by ASUS I think.

yeah that's the 34" curved model I think which looks savage.
    but seriously? do console gamers really think that this monitor will upscale their games from barely 720p/1080p to 4k? :confused:
    Whatever about netflix etc but for video both consoles are capable of displaying 4k video content such as netflix etc..but not a chance of gaming at 4k.

• Advertisement

So, this is probably the one for me :D

27" - Check
    144Hz - Check
    IPS - Check
    GSync - Check
    Dual inputs - Check

Ill probably wait a few months to ensure there is nothing drastically wrong build/QA wise, I guess. My 24" is going grand for now, even though it is only 1080p, so I'm not in any super rush.

So apparently there was a board revision that supports G-Sync with HDMI, which I thought was currently impossible:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/computex-2015-news-both-amd-freesync-and-nvidia-gsync-over-hdmi.html

And TFTCentral are expecting production-ready review models end of August.....

Why does anybody want HDMI with these monitors? DisplayPort has more bandwidth and any GPU that can push 1440p / 144Hz will certainly have one or more displayport outputs.

Multiple Inputs.

I use my monitor for also watching TV/Movies from the couch....

With Rust and other early access Steam games its unlikely you'll get more than 60fps. These games just haven't been fully optimised yet and some are very CPU intensive.

Have you enabled SLI in the the Nvidia control panel?

No, but a second GTX 970 is on the cards soon, and better case for cooling, and possibly an m.2 NVE 1TB SSD if released this week, and, and :pac:
    Set G-Sync to run all the time. The monitor stays in G-Sync mode unless you turn off G-Sync in the control panel and activate ULMB mode on the monitor. I find no real use for ULMB so I am always using G-Sync.

Check!
    Have you upped the monitor refresh rate to 144hz yet?

No, I have not been at the settings at all. I will make it happen!
    You'll find calibrated custom settings here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xg270hu.htm

Awesome, thanks!
    Luck100 wrote: »
    Why does anybody want HDMI with these monitors? DisplayPort has more bandwidth and any GPU that can push 1440p / 144Hz will certainly have one or more displayport outputs.

It would be handy for devices without displayport but I will take my awesome new monitor without HDMI over a lesser one with HDMI! If I really want a display that takes HDMI bad enough I can get a nice 32" to put either alongside or wall mounted in the room somewhere.

I am getting the start of blurred vision/migraines sometimes when working with text, editing databases, reading etc, on this monitor - I appreciate the monitor may be completely unrelated and this may also be happening if I was on my laptop, or working with paper, but could any of the calibration settings I applied for gaming be causing this? Should I change something when not using it for gaming and instead reading from it? Optician told me a year or so ago I had better than 20/20 vision but it might be worth another visit...

I am getting the start of blurred vision/migraines sometimes when working with text, editing databases, reading etc, on this monitor - I appreciate the monitor may be completely unrelated and this may also be happening if I was on my laptop, or working with paper, but could any of the calibration settings I applied for gaming be causing this? Should I change something when not using it for gaming and instead reading from it? Optician told me a year or so ago I had better than 20/20 vision but it might be worth another visit...

The UI may need be upscaled for tasks such as browsing and office applications. 1440p is perfect for gaming and media but for office tasks you may get eye strain due to the extra small UI.

Google your version of windows with "upscaling UI" to find out how to scale it up a bit.
    When I use a browser I use the zoom function to increase the size to 120%.

Something similar with the office applications.

You might find ClearType very useful. It helps adjust text to clear it up. Type ClearType in windows search bar and go through it.

The UI may need be upscaled for tasks such as browsing and office applications. 1440p is perfect for gaming and media but for office tasks you may get eye strain due to the extra small UI.

Google your version of windows with "upscaling UI" to find out how to scale it up a bit.
    When I use a browser I use the zoom function to increase the size to 120%.

Something similar with the office applications.

You might find ClearType very useful. It helps adjust text to clear it up. Type ClearType in windows search bar and go through it.

Thanks FAILSAFE :) I have firefox (and later Chrome) set to 120%, Windows 10 UI set to 125%, and the Firefox minimum font size set to 13. I may run through ClearType again when not under pressure for time so I can make sure I am selecting the 'text that looks clearest'.

Is there anything on the monitor settings that might help, brightness or contrast perhaps?

Thanks FAILSAFE :) I have firefox (and later Chrome) set to 120%, Windows 10 UI set to 125%, and the Firefox minimum font size set to 13. I may run through ClearType again when not under pressure for time so I can make sure I am selecting the 'text that looks clearest'.

Is there anything on the monitor settings that might help, brightness or contrast perhaps?

There's nothing else on the monitor itself.

you could lower your brightness slightly and see if that makes a difference with the eyes. Always make sure the room is well lit also when you are doing office work on the monitor. Usually when I lower the brightness I compensate by slightly increasing the contrast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had one of those korean catleap 1440 monitors a while back and suffered eye strain at that res too,sold it on after.

Thats partly why i went with a 24" 1080 Gsync 144hz monitor when i was changing monitors a few weeks back.
    Gsync @ 144hz has to be seen to be believed.

Advertisement