Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New online broker entrant

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just transferred some money so will be up and running soon - how long does it take to see funds in your account? I sent from AIB

Anybody know where they keep your shares?
    Like are they in nominee accounts or with third parties? is it possible to use Crest or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Zascar wrote: »
    Just transferred some money so will be up and running soon - how long does it take to see funds in your account? I sent from AIB

I think it depends on how fast your bank transfers the money. It took me 2-3 days I think (from BoI).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Anybody know where they keep your shares?
    Like are they in nominee accounts or with third parties? is it possible to use Crest or similar?

Some details here - https://www.degiro.ie/about-degiro/safe-and-reliable.html

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭liamjames1

I am also thinking of moving to DeGiro.

Having a very annoying day with Goodbody.

Anyone else having technical issues with them? Two trades cancelled without my consent. Now I want to cancel a pending trade to increase my limit but can’t and cant place new trade as saying insufficient funds.

Crazy when you think of the premium they are charging compared to these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This probably isn't a DeGiro issue but why are there so many shares listed on the ISEQ that have no trading info in the grid?

For example, Dragon Oil PLC or Irish Residenial Properties REIT PLC

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm all set up and and just made my first trade. Seems pretty good so far. Basic enough but more than enough for what I need. Support seems good I got emails back very quickly and got someone on the phone yesterday... I found this article which gives them some slack but they are definitely developing the site further - and I see from an email from them this morning they have added "Trade Confirmation Emails" which is good. I do wish they had a proper mobile website or app though...

EDIT: They do have a mobile site: https://m.degiro.nl/TraderMobile/main/portfolio - but for some reason when I have them both open side by side I'm getting different figures

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Blue Steel wrote: »
    I was in the process of opening an account with degiro but they are asking for my PPS number, and it is a required field.

Is this legal?

Every broker requires your PPS numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I see from an email from them this morning they have added "Trade Confirmation Emails" which is good.

I got that email from them myself and want to receive trade confirmation emails, but from looking around in my account tonight I can't see where that function is.

Anyone have any idea? :confused:

• Advertisement

Click the Change Settings icon just to the right of Logged in as XXX.

Click the Settings tab.

Click the Trade Settings tab, and then click Active.

Thanks for that, however I've gone into "Change Settings", and then "Settings", but the only two functions I see are "Currency handling" and "Real time quotes". I don't see a "Trade Settings" tab.

That is strange. You need an e-mail address to be able to use this function. If your e-mail address is displayed in the Account Information tab, then I suggest you contact DeGiro.

Frogdog wrote: »
    Thanks for that, however I've gone into "Change Settings", and then "Settings", but the only two functions I see are "Currency handling" and "Real time quotes". I don't see a "Trade Settings" tab.

I have the same. I emailed them, they said they were switching me to the new server, but I'm still not seeing the option..

It is still working for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

In the spirit of this thread, I've heard ads on the radio for Sommerville Advisory Markets (SAM.ie). From what I can see of their website fees, the cost is 15eur per transaction.

I thought they were doing a 7.5minimum, but it seems to have changed since I saw it previously

anybody got any experience using them?

• Advertisement

Trade notification setting has appeared for me now...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LePrince

Does anyone know how to send more than 5000 euros at a time?

My bank is capping wire transfers.

LePrince wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to send more than 5000 euros at a time?

My bank is capping wire transfers.

If your bank is capping transfers you should talk to your bank.

Trade notification setting has appeared for me now...

Thanks for the reminder - I checked mine and the setting appears now.

Is anyone else having issues with DeGiro today, eg. I can't get any information about Ryanair and buying and selling isn't possible. Netflix has an ask price but no bid price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

What would happen to my investment in X company if degiro went bust ?
    I.e how would I trade out of the position if Degiro was gone?

Would the administration of the stock simply transfer to somewhere else ?

What would happen to my investment in X company if degiro went bust ?
    I.e how would I trade out of the position if Degiro was gone?

Would the administration of the stock simply transfer to somewhere else ?

My understanding is that stock is kept in separate accounts, completely separate from the company finances, so if the company went bust, your stock should be safe.

HOWEVER, if a broker went bust because of some shenanigans, there is the risk that they might have been raiding their client funds - this happened with a large US hedge fund about a year ago.

Two other areas of caution - in a bust situation, even if everything is in order it might take quite some time to get you back your shares as whoever has taken them over would have to verify company records etc. Secondly, not all shares are held by the broker themselves. Some are owed to them by other bodies, especially when the shares are in other juristictions eg US ADRs.

I would really like to find an online broker who would let me buy certificated shares, expecially for those shares that I regard as part of my pension pot ie the ones I want to hold indefinitely. Certificates are also safe from hacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Civil Eng

Anyone care to share their experiences of DeGiro?

I've been using them for a few months. Do you have any questions in particular?

Sabre Man wrote: »

Nothing in particular - just keen to understand if they're as good as others online given their pricing??

Any reputation concerns?

Also, how are the shares held by DeGiro?

Civil Eng wrote: »
    Nothing in particular - just keen to understand if they're as good as others online given their pricing??

Any reputation concerns?

I don't have any experience with other brokers so I can't compare functionality.

I find the platform easy to use. I can keep an eye on my shares, and there is also a separate list of favorites, basically a watch list. Prices are delayed 15 minutes unless you pay extra for a subscription per exchange.

Buying and selling is as easy as clicking a B or S button, selecting the type of order (limit order, market order, stop loss and stop-limit), and selecting the amount and number of shares. The total amount in euro is then displayed, which is handy if you want trade in another currency.

Below your portfolio you can see a lost of dividends that will be credited to your account.

It is easy to see what you've made/lost today or in total for your portfolio, and also daily result (percent and euros) and value per share symbol.

If you want to go short or trade options you need to upgrade your account.

I am experiencing some issues with my Irish favorites at the moment. There's no info on Ryanair and I can't sell or buy. For Green REIT I can't see bid and ask but I can trade. Could be a server issue, as other people in this thread has problems displaying some settings.

I considered explaining DeGiro in my blog but I think the screenshots would have been too small to be of any value.

That I don't know.

I don't have any experience with other brokers so I can't compare functionality.

I find the platform easy to use. I can keep an eye on my shares, and there is also a separate list of favorites, basically a watch list. Prices are delayed 15 minutes unless you pay extra for a subscription per exchange.

Buying and selling is as easy as clicking a B or S button, selecting the type of order (limit order, market order, stop loss and stop-limit), and selecting the amount and number of shares. The total amount in euro is then displayed, which is handy if you want trade in another currency.

Below your portfolio you can see a lost of dividends that will be credited to your account.

It is easy to see what you've made/lost today or in total for your portfolio, and also daily result (percent and euros) and value per share symbol.

If you want to go short or trade options you need to upgrade your account.

I am experiencing some issues with my Irish favorites at the moment. There's no info on Ryanair and I can't sell or buy. For Green REIT I can't see bid and ask but I can trade. Could be a server issue, as other people in this thread has problems displaying some settings.

I considered explaining DeGiro in my blog but I think the screenshots would have been too small to be of any value.

I may open an account but the one thing that concerns me is that teh fees/charges are so low! There's something niggling in my head saying if it's too good to be true............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Caveat Emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Or empty caveat!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

I opened an account with them over the past few days. The process is very straight forward and quick. My initial deposit took two business days to clear. The interface is extremely user friendly. I opened a custody account as the fees for what I want to trade (shares and ETFs) are the exact same as the non-custody account. The only potential difference for me is free dividend processing on non-custody vs a charge for processing on a custody account, but as I intend to invest in accumulating ETFs only, and not a dividend share strategy, that's mostly irrelevant for me.

Has anyone here received a dividend yet in relation to any holdings in their portfolio held with Degiro? Specifically a dividend from an Irish company....

I'm engaged in a dispute at the moment with them. They seem to have charged me 15% DWT (a Dutch DWT rate as Degiro BV are based in Netherlands) on a dividend received from Ryanair (in relation to the recent share consolidation). Confirmed with the Revenue that this should be 20% as Ryanair are an Irish company.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has noticed suspicious tax treatments in relation to dividends?

Do you own the shares or the ADRs?

T L wrote: »
    The only potential difference for me is free dividend processing on non-custody vs a charge for processing on a custody account, but as I intend to invest in accumulating ETFs only, and not a dividend share strategy, that's mostly irrelevant for me.

Pardon my lack of grey matter....but how do you distinguish "accumulating ETF's" from other ETF's.

Do you own the shares or the ADRs?

Shares, bought on the ISE

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Pardon my lack of grey matter....but how do you distinguish "accumulating ETF's" from other ETF's.

Research outside the broker platform.

For example:

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/en/products/253743/ishares-sp-500-b-ucits-etf-acc-fund

On the right hand side under "key facts" you'll see "distribution frequency - none". So it's accumulating.

You can search for ETFs at this link and screen for accumulating/distributing also:

https://www.justetf.com/en/find-etf.html?query=IE00B5BMR087

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭manonboard

Theres a dropdown box beside day difference that you can change to Total Difference

Can anyone explain this total difference box to me?
    When is it different from? What value it represents exactly?

Its the box with the day difference.

If i have 10k, and withdraw money to my current account, does this change this value? (eg can i remove my profit?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭cromelex

I opened an account last year with DeGiro in Portugal, but as I work in the industry I did my due diligence.

The shares are held through a custodian bank, which depends on the market. The custodians they are using are (or were at the time) Kasbank ; ABN AMRO and JPMorgan.

All of this is pretty standard.

Then, they have 2 main account types -"regular" (Basic, Active or Trader) and Custody - the difference being that for the regular accounts they are entitled to lend your shares to other customers (ie, if someone wants to short a specific share, for example).

For the Custody account, they do not lend your your securities at any time, so it's safer.

The trading platform is pretty basic, but for a buy&hold approach, it's perfectly suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

manonboard wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this total difference box to me?
    When is it different from? What value it represents exactly?

Its the box with the day difference.

If i have 10k, and withdraw money to my current account, does this change this value? (eg can i remove my profit?)

The difference of money lodged into the account and the value of the account in total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's a pity they don't have a demo account functionality.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you short stocks with Degiro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭cromelex

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you short stocks with Degiro?

Yes, with a non-"basic", non-"custody" account (ie, "active" or "trader" would allow it).

Ahh ok, I see the upgrade link on the site now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

Hi,

I have an 'active' account type with Degiro. How can I tell if its 'custody' or 'non-custody' ? Is there an option to move to a 'custody' account , I cant seem to find much on it on their site?

Thanks,

F

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spaceman902

howdy, it should tell you the account type you have in the top left corner of the screen beside your logon. If you hit change settings button right beside your logon there some account options, but as I opened with a custody account, I never had to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

howdy, it should tell you the account type you have in the top left corner of the screen beside your logon. If you hit change settings button right beside your logon there some account options, but as I opened with a custody account, I never had to change anything.

Thanks for reply. Ya i checked there and all it says is: account type 'active'. There is an option to upgrade and when i click that the 3 account types available are basic,active and trader. Says nothing bout custody in any of them.
    Ill bang them off an email tomorrow i guess. Are the charges much diff with a custody account?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Thanks for reply. Ya i checked there and all it says is: account type 'active'. There is an option to upgrade and when i click that the 3 account types available are basic,active and trader. Says nothing bout custody in any of them.
    Ill bang them off an email tomorrow i guess. Are the charges much diff with a custody account?

A basic account is a non-custody account. From what I can see basic accounts have lower fees but your securities are loaned out and retail investors might not want that.

DeGiro just got a new Market tab today, where you can see data about world markets, currencies, futures and winners and losers from many exchanges, although Nasdaq is missing. ISEQ is listed but there are no data presently.

Overall it's a nice improvement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement