Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog vomiting bile and empty stomach?

• 09-06-2015 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

I was wondering does anyone have any experience of this?

I have a 2 year old dog who lately overnight would vomit some yellowish bile. He did it maybe 1/2 times a week. Reading online I never knew that this bile is an important part of food digestion and that the problem might simply be an empty stomach.

My dog has a huge appetite but is well fed and his weight is fine. He is a very athletic and fit dog - full of energy. But there could be 10 hours between bedtime and breakfast thus the empty stomach. So I started giving him a treat before bed and this has worked.

But is it as simple as an empty stomach?

Should I be giving prebiotics to help the digestive system? If the treat at bedtime is working do I still need to get him checked by the vet for gastritis or similar? Did your dog vomit bile and what did you do?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

All of my dogs, at some point or another, have gone through phases of this, some more than others.
    I always give them a small pre-bed meal now which prevents the problem, and have been assured by two trusted vets that it's nothing more serious than an empty stomach.
    No harm in checking with your vet next time you happen to be in, what I've said above applies to my own dogs, with and without individual veterinary assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

DBB wrote: »
    All of my dogs, at some point or another, have gone through phases of this, some more than others.
    I always give them a small pre-bed meal now which prevents the problem, and have been assured by two trusted vets that it's nothing more serious than an empty stomach.
    No harm in checking with your vet next time you happen to be in, what I've said above applies to my own dogs, with and without individual veterinary assessment.

That's good to know. It has never happened with my other dogs so I was puzzled.

This fella though is food hungry - never satisfied. Off-lead he seems to run twice the amount of the other dogs. There is good bit of working/gun dog in him. Also he is big for his breed.

The treat last thing at night has been working for over a week now so crossed fingers that is the trick. (He is fine in every other way. Full of life.)

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My small dog does this sometimes if she misses a meal, she's fine once you give her a small snack.
    My regular vet said its not uncommon for them to do this and once a bit of food settles it, it's not a problem.

But as DBB says, mention it to your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I have three dogs and only one of them will vomit bile if they miss a meal. She had had other gastro problems so imagine she just has a sensitive stomach. Even if we are really late home I always give her 2 meals a day whereas the other two are fine missing an occasional meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

my shih tzu does it too from time to time - quite a bit as a puppy but once we got her food routine under control all was fine.... now the only time she does it is when im on holidays and someone is minding her - she will downright refuse to eat until she is starving hungry but will throw up from the hunger in the meantime....
    its nothing to worry about though, a nightime snack should sort it out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Emma1980, my shihtzu does the same thing - little brats! I find she has a much more sensitive stomach than my havanese, who is as hardy as they come despite being about half the size of the Flump!

Advertisement