Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking german shephard around estate with no leash

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ForestFire

YurOK2 wrote: »
    Well I was actually responding to a specific post that YES every parent should teach their child about every single possible interaction with dogs. I'm not sure what's so crazy about that. Why wouldn't a parent want to educate their child? :confused:
    The situation described in the OP does not describe a vicious dog to me but what happens if an actual vicious dog manages to escape and is actually running around a housing estate, every child should be educated about what to do in that situation. I thought that was common sense to be honest.

So my 22 month daughter is supposed to know about EVERY interaction with a dog.....and children younger what about them?? There is only so much we can teach a child at one time and they need to be a certain age to learn. yeah thats not crazy at all :rolleyes:.

Do I also need to teach them about every interaction with other animals, Cars, Trains, Strangers, Bouncy castles bikes, Rules of the road etc, etc

Why can't EVERY dog owner OBEY the LAW and ensure they know how to control their dogs around children/adults and other dogs??

No lets blame the toddlers and parents for poor education of all of life dangers before we leave them out side there front door to play in what should be a safe enviroment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ForestFire wrote: »
    So my 22 month daughter is supposed to know about EVERY interaction with a dog.....and children younger what about them?? There is only so much we can teach a child at one time and they need to be a certain age to learn. yeah thats not crazy at all :rolleyes:.

Why would your 22 old daughter be allowed unsupervised access to a dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Do I also need to teach them about every interaction with other animals, Cars, Trains, Strangers, Bouncy castles bikes, Rules of the road etc, etc

Why can't EVERY dog owner OBEY the LAW and ensure they know how to control their dogs around children/adults and other dogs??

No lets blame the toddlers and parents for poor education of all of life dangers before we leave them out side there front door to play in what should be a safe enviroment

You leave your 22 month old daughter outside the front door to play?

You leave your 22 month old daughter outside the front door to play?

Yes is she not allowed outside not in the front garden??? Didn't know there were laws against that
    tk123 wrote: »
    Why would your 22 old daughter be allowed unsupervised access to a dog?

Please this is just getting silly.. tell me where I said that??

I was told I should teach my child "Every single interaction with a dog"
    This is what I am disputing

We are talking about a dog in a housing estate that is not on a lease and not muzzle and breaking the law.
    There is noting stopping this dog interacting with my child even when I am there kicking a ball with her or playing with her supervised

But again lets pretend there is no responsibility here for dog owners. Eveyrone else should adapt to them

We are talking about a dog in a housing estate that is not on a lease and not muzzle and breaking the law.
    There is noting stopping this dog interacting with my child even when I am there kicking a ball with her or playing with her supervised

But again lets pretend there is no responsibility here for dog owners. Eferone else should adapt to them

Do you live in this housing estate?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

There's no need for the hysterics.
    I don't think a 22 month old child should be heading off on his/her own anyway but maybe you have a different approach to parenting.
    Yes, you do need to teach them about every interaction you outlined. I would've thought that's Parenting 101. You bring a child into the world, they're your responsibility to educate.

In an ideal world every dog owner would obey the law, in an ideal world every child would be responsibly supervised when outside the safety of their home but this isn't an ideal world so EVERYBODY needs to be prepared to deal with things outside of idealism.

Please this is just getting silly.. tell me where I said that??

I was told I should teach my child "Every single interaction with a dog"
    This is what I am disputing

There is noting stopping this dog interacting with my child even when I am there kicking a ball with her or playing with her

Even when I grew up in the 70s, outside the front door was not a safe environment for a toddler - even if you weren't referring to your own child.

When I was a child if a dog nipped me or growled at me, I was given out to. Because my parents were responsible enough to know that I was antagonising the dog. These days if the same thing happens the dog is sent to the pound or the vet to be pts, sure there's no way that the little darling could be to blame, and the parents certainly don't seem to shoulder any responsibility any more. Look at that kid in Dublin last year, he was mauled by a husky when he TRESPASSED into his grandmothers neighbours garden and started petting the dog. The parents took zero responsibility and the poor dog got put down. The mother was even on TV3 saying how they've had loads of dogs - jack russells, staffies and a rottie, all in the 10 year olds lifetime, so her son isn't afraid of dogs. Well he might not be afraid, but he sure as hell had no idea how to act around them, or not to break the LAW of trespass.

Don't see why my personnel situation is relevant to the OP topic we are discussing here but yes I do, what dose that matter?

If I did not live in an estate does that ban me from having an opionin on it?

Can you not discuss the relevant points:-

1)The dog is being walk in an estate
    2)The dog has no lead
    3)The dog has no muzzle
    4)This is against the law for this breed
    5)There are multiple children playing in the estate
    6)The dog makes the parents worried/nervous
    7) yes they should talk to the dog owner politely to discuss

And in case you missed it - the dog owner is breaking the law by walking his dog in the estate as he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm sorry; do you not intend to teach your child that cars and trains are dangerous, that strangers shouldn't be approached, to be careful not to bounce out of or do somersaults in a bouncy castle, to wear a bike helmet, to look both ways when crossing the road, and what traffic lights mean?

Should the rest of us never be able to walk a dog off-lead and unmuzzled because you can't be arsed to teach your child not to approach strange dogs, or to keep a firm grip on them if they're too young to understand?

Even when I grew up in the 70s, outside the front door was not a safe environment for a toddler - even if you weren't referring to your own child.

When I was a child if a dog nipped me or growled at me, I was given out to. Because my parents were responsible enough to know that I was antagonising the dog. These days if the same thing happens the dog is sent to the pound or the vet to be pts, sure there's no way that the little darling could be to blame, and the parents certainly don't seem to shoulder any responsibility any more. Look at that kid in Dublin last year, he was mauled by a husky when he TRESPASSED into his grandmothers neighbours garden and started petting the dog. The parents took zero responsibility and the poor dog got put down. The mother was even on TV3 saying how they've had loads of dogs - jack russells, staffies and a rottie, all in the 10 year olds lifetime, so her son isn't afraid of dogs. Well he might not be afraid, but he sure as hell had no idea how to act around them, or not to break the LAW of trespass.

I really can't believe you did not play outside the house supervised as a toddler. What age were you when you were allowed outside?

I never said there is no responsibility on the parents, but ye all seem to be saying its 100% the parents responsibility and none for the law breaking dog owner:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

kylith wrote: »
    Should the rest of us never be able to walk a dog off-lead and unmuzzled because you can't be arsed to teach your child not to approach strange dogs, or to keep a firm grip on them if they're too young to understand?

Maybe as an intermediary step dogs could be on a lead and muzzled when legally required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

a responsible dog owner will have their dog on a leash and if required by law, a muzzle on. the word is 'responsible'.

maybe speak to the man. explain your worries.
    it's lovely to see a dog off a leash and enjoying themselves if the person with them has full control. few things more irriating than a dog whose bothering others (people or animals). but i never blame the dog - it's all about the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

FrancieK2 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for advice. There's a man in our estate in Saggart walking his german shephard around every day with no lead and no muzzle, as required by the control of Dogs act. It's an estate with a lot of young kids and toddlers around playing, and it makes a lot of the mums and kids very nervous to see this huge animal running around with no leash.

I don't want to chown the guy because first of all you have to deal with this tiger sized animal he has with him and secondly anyone walking a dog around like this is likely to be anti-social in my opinion.

What to do?

Just because a dog is a specific breed does not mean that the dog is dangerous/a threat to people.

The problem with parents these days is they wrap children in cotton wool, children need to be thought to respect animals. In most cases as long as your child respects the dog i.e doesn't pinch or pull it the dog is fine, i do understand certain dogs are just vicious.

However I think you should ask the man if the dog is friendly and if it is good with kids and if the dog is then move on and tell the other parents to do the same,

Don't see why my personnel situation is relevant to the OP topic we are discussing here but yes I do, what dose that matter?

Well it is relevant in this case because the OP hasn't replied at all to anyone's questions- if you live in the same estate you could provide more details/information about the owner and the dog and why people are afraid and if it's just based on the dog being a GSD or on it's actions?

The dogs breed and BSL status makes no difference imo - I'd be pretty sure any "big dog" would receive the same reception. And I'd be pretty sure any other large breed owner here will agree with me as reactions like these go with the territory of having a large dog.

GSDs are used by Irish Guide Dogs in their breeding stock btw....who are often placed with children.

I never said there is no responsibility on the parents, but ye all seem to be saying its 100% the parents responsibility and none for the law breaking dog owner:rolleyes:

Could you quote the posts that say that please?

I'm sorry; do you not intend to teach your child that cars and trains are dangerous, that strangers shouldn't be approached, to be careful not to bounce out of or do somersaults in a bouncy castle, to wear a bike helmet, to look both ways when crossing the road, and what traffic lights mean?

I give up with ye all...ye just make up what you want to suit your selves. I never said I should not teach my child, but at 22 months, everything?? I have corrected several miss-quotes now from ye already to deflect the real issues.

Here was me teaching here how to say the words "dog" "cat" "cow" "please" "thank you" "ABC.." "songs"

when really I should have been grilling her on all the dog species in the Ireland, how to interact with each one in every situation...oh and then car speed breaking distance the laws of momentume etc. get real she is 22 months old

best of luck to you all...you do not shed a good light on dog owners as far as I am concerned with all your poor argument manipulation of posts and zero responsibility for your own actions and abeying the law.

That's it for me here have a nice day

In my experience with animals most cases of bites/attacks are down to children being rough with dogs, this is down to parents failing to teach children to respect animals!

If the dog is in a green area walking then of course it won't be on a lead.

It is 100% the parent's responsibly. Worse case scenario - a dog bites or even kills a child and gets put down and the owner move on. Parent is left with a child who's scared for life or dead- who has more to lose here? What about kidnappers - it's ok don't bother educating the kids who as you put it are potential victims here - the kidnapper should be the one to do it.

Have you considered that the owner dog is confident in his dog - confident enough to let it off lead knowing it won't be interested in anyone else which is what's happening at the moment - nothing has happened but you want it muzzled and on lead. That dog could be the best trained in Ireland for all you know - why not approach the owner and have a chat with them? It could be a service or therapy dog for all you know which are exempt from BSL..
    YurOK2 wrote: »
    Could you quote the posts that say that please?

Happy??

I give up with ye all...ye just make up what you want to suit your selves. i never said I should teach my child but at 22 months?? I I have correct sever mis quoptes now from ye already to deflect the real issues.

Here was me teaching here how to say the words "dog" "cat" "cow" "please" "thank you" "ABC.." "songs"

when really I should have been grilling her on all the dog species in the Ireland, how to interact with each one in every situation...oh and then car speed breaking distance the laws of momentume etc. get real she is 22 months old

best of luck to you all...you do not shed a good light on dog owners as far as I am concerned with all your poor argument manipulation of posts and zero responsibility for your own actions and abeying the law.

That's it for me here have a nice day

There are also laws against the continuous restraining of dogs so both could be argued the dog needs exercise too!

222233 wrote: »
    There are also laws against the continuous restraining of dogs so both could be argued the dog needs exercise too!

:eek: I don't know what to say:confused: This is the best excuse for a pathetic argument yet

Exercise them with-in the law and safely on the lead and muzzle or not in an estate with children

That's really it, now i'm off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

But the dog hasn't done anything to warrant this worry? He is just out for a walk minding his own business? If you have an issue, go and speak with him and voice your concerns.

psinno wrote: »
    Maybe as an intermediary step dogs could be on a lead and muzzled when legally required.

And what about the dogs that aren't legally required to be muzzled? Not all of them (not even many of them) appreciate strangers, especially strange children, approaching them. Children should be taught to respect and not approach any dog that they don't know without the owner's express permission.

Happy??

I think tk123 was saying that educating children is 100% the responsibility of the parents, which it is.

I wasn't aware that it was an either/or situation, tbh. My nephew is a couple of months older than your child, so how amazing is it that his parents have managed to teach him both the word 'dog' and the concept of not rushing toward any dog he sees, similarly they have taught him the word 'car' and been able to impress upon him the importance of waiting for the green man before crossing the road.

Teaching a child to respect dogs doesn't mean expecting a 3yo to be able to give a 30 minute presentation on P+ Vs P- training methods, it just means telling them, over and over, 'We must ask the man/woman if it is ok for us to pet their dog because some dogs aren't friendly' (or I describe my own dog as 'afraid of strangers' which tends to be understood well).

Forest Fire, you say you live in this estate? Yet your location is given as Tramore under your user name, yet the OP has stated that this estate with the roaming tiger is in Saggart?

Hi I'm looking for advice. There's a man in our estate in Saggart walking his german shephard around every day with no lead and no muzzle

And to answer your earlier question - No, I was not allowed in the front garden as a toddler, from memory I was at least 8 or 9 before I was allowed play outside the front. There's lot of photos of me in the back garden with the dogs though.

:eek: I don't know what to say:confused: This is the best excuse for a pathetic argument yet

Exercise them with-in the law and safely on the lead and muzzle or not in an estate with children

That's really it, now i'm off

There are children everywhere, not just this estate. Dogs always roam free in the park by me parents don't care as they supervise their children.

If you don't want a dog in a park etc near your children then simply go stand with your children and supervise them.

I wasn't aware that it was an either/or situation, tbh. My nephew is a couple of months older than your child, so how amazing is it that his parents have managed to teach him both the word 'dog' and the concept of not rushing toward any dog he sees, similarly they have taught him the word 'car' and been able to impress upon him the importance of waiting for the green man before crossing the road.

just to stop the miss-quotes again

Talk about changing the goal posts!!!

Well done:rolleyes:.... 2 situation but hardly Every situation as stated previously

What about a child a few months younger than my daughter???

222233 wrote: »
    There are children everywhere, not just this estate. Dogs always roam free in the park by me parents don't care as they supervise their children.

If you don't want a dog in a park etc near your children then simply go stand with your children and supervise them.

How about obey the law

How about obey the law

Not all dogs are required to be muzzled by law. There are also laws relating to animal cruelty as I stated.

Said dog may be german shepard x and in reality they tend to be a fabulous, kind natured breed unless humans breed them to behave otherwise.

• Advertisement

Forest Fire, you say you live in this estate? Yet your location is given as Tramore under your user name, yet the OP has stated that this estate with the roaming tiger is in Saggart?

And to answer your earlier question - No, I was not allowed in the front garden as a toddler, from memory I was at least 8 or 9 before I was allowed play outside the front. There's lot of photos of me in the back garden with the dogs though.

Sorry i need to correct this... i do not live in this estate. I miss read this as an estate, sorry for the confusion there, but how many others live in this estate.
    but I am not living in Tramore now either. that is my home town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement