Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking german shephard around estate with no leash

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ForestFire

222233 wrote: »
    Not all dogs are required to be muzzled by law. There are also laws relating to animal cruelty as I stated.

Said dog may be german shepard x and in reality they tend to be a fabulous, kind natured breed unless humans breed them to behave otherwise.

This dog/owner is breaking the law:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ForestFire wrote: »
    just to stop the miss-quotes again

Talk about changing the goal posts!!!

Well done:rolleyes:.... 2 situation but hardly Every situation as stated previously

What about a child a few months younger than my daughter???

No-one expects you to have taught your child EVERYTHING about EVERY situation. What we do expect is that the parent of a 2 year old supervises the child closely, doesn't allow them to get into potentially dangerous situations, and constantly educates the child about how to behave.

If the child is even younger than yours then I'd expect their parent to be supervising even more closely and taking even more care that they don't do something dangerous because, frankly, only a jelly-brain would allow a toddler to molest a strange dog, or even a familiar dog.

kylith wrote: »
    No-one expects you to have taught your child EVERYTHING about EVERY situation. What we do expect is that the parent of a 2 year old supervises the child closely, doesn't allow them to get into potentially dangerous situations, and constantly educates the child about how to behave.

If the child is even younger than yours then I'd expect their parent to be supervising even more closely and taking even more care that they don't do something dangerous because, frankly, only a jelly-brain would allow a toddler to molest a strange dog, or even a familiar dog.

Agree but..

But the dog owner is allowed to break the law??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

This dog/owner is breaking the law:rolleyes:

You are very worried about the law but I would recommend the OP speaks to the dog owner, if the dog were planning to attack it would have done so by now.
    People without experience with animals have a tendency to "fear" certain breeds when in reality the little JRT next door is potentially more dangerous than the GS.

You are very worried about the law but I would recommend the OP speaks to the dog owner, if the dog were planning to attack it would have done so by now.
    People without experience with animals have a tendency to "fear" certain breeds when in reality the little JRT next door is potentially more dangerous than the GS.

come on..Completely false, Dogs can change/react to different situations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Agree but..

But the dog owner is allowed to break the law??

No, he should not be breaking the law, but as I said earlier; not all dogs are RB. Non RB dogs are not required to be muzzled and kept on lead. What of them?

I have already recommended this several times..trying reading my posts

kylith wrote: »
    No, he should not be breaking the law, but as I said earlier; not all dogs are RB. Non RB dogs are not required to be muzzled and kept on lead. What of them?

Different tread.. feel free to start another one on this if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

come on..Completely false, Dogs can change/react to different situations

Exactly. But that is not breed specific. All dogs have the potential to bite, irrespective of breed so to lull people into a false sense of security with breeds that aren't on the list is a far more dangerous scenario. Which is exactly the kind of complacency that the list creates.

Exactly. But that is not breed specific. All dogs have the potential to bite, irrespective of breed so to lull people into a false sense of security with breeds that aren't on the list is a far more dangerous scenario. Which is exactly the kind of complacency that the list creates.

Sorry I did not create the list:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

YurOK2 wrote: »
    I think tk123 was saying that educating children is 100% the responsibility of the parents, which it is.

I was. I shouldn't have to tell kids not to come running up to/behind my on lead dogs. Or ask them not to throw sticks at my dogs. Or not to try and pull their tails. Or ask them not to scream at them...

Sorry I did not create the list:o

But the post is relevant to all off lead dogs. You're fixated on the RB law, which as I have said can lead to complacency with other breeds. Do you know that Sweden abolished their RB laws because it was proven that dog bites did NOT decrease when the law was implemented?

But the post is relevant to all off lead dogs. You're fixated on the RB law, which as I have said can lead to complacency with other breeds. Do you know that Sweden abolished their RB laws because it was proven that dog bites did NOT decrease when the law was implemented?

Title of tread in case you missed it:-

"Walking german shephard around estate with no leash"

I am not talking about all other breads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Over the course of my youth I have been "attacked" by two dogs. Guess what breed either was? Or more succinctly take a guess at the list of breeds that they were not ..... and this is back in the 1980s and early 1990s when the notion of muzzles were far and few to be found. One of them was a labrador (and the family pet); I yanked his tail hard at the age of four. The other was a relatives elderly - and very grumpy due to arthritis - Jack Russell, who was not friendly towards everyone not part of the immediate family. I opened the sitting room door to have him attach himself briefly to the front of my shoe.

Seriously though, I do not fathom the rank stupidity and absolute lazy selfishness of a parent not teaching their child an important life skill (i.e. not to make a beeline for a dog without asking for permission and considering if the dog looks nervous before trying to touch/pet), and then complaining when a dog responds negatively. If some random stranger on the street ran at you and looked like they were about to grab you what would you do? Step back? Shout? Chin them? All three? All animals (humans included) will respond negatively if they feel under threat. That dog that's just snapped at you is not being machevallian, it's just scared; scared of you because YOU are scaring it.

The worst thing that the OP - or anyone else on this thread for that matter - can possibly do is instill a prejudiced and irrational fear of dogs in a child. It will at best deprive them of that childhood wonder of interacting (safely ... ) with dogs.

tk123 wrote: »
    I was. I shouldn't have to tell kids not to come running up to/behind my on lead dogs. Or ask them not to throw sticks at my dogs. Or not to try and pull their tails. Or ask them not to scream at them...

Off topic and not dealing with the issues of this tread.. Dog not on lead, no muzzle breaking the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Title of tread in case you missed it:-

"Walking german shephard around estate with no leash"

I am not talking about all other breads

How do you know 100% that it's a German shepherd if you have never spoken to the owner?

How do you know 100% that it's a German shepherd if you have never spoken to the owner?

We have to assume what the OP is saying is true or there is no point to any discussion on boards. I think that is a boards rule? At least in other sections it is?

Anyone interested actually talking about the thread issues??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We have to assume what the OP is saying is true or there is no point to any discussion on boards. I think that is a boards rule? At least in other sections it is?

Anyone interested actually talking about the tread issues??

But if it's not a German shepherd and is in fact a Belgian shepherd (easy to mix the 2 up) then the dog is not on the RB list and therefore the owner is not breaking any laws.

But if it's not a German shepherd and is in fact a Belgian shepherd (easy to mix the 2 up) then the dog is not on the RB list and therefore the owner is not breaking any laws.

And if its a cat and not a dog he is not breaking the law either..whats your point?

As I said we have to believe the op or there is no point.
    Just like your thread on the Bike on pedestrian bridge, which I read before this tread and remembered your name, we have to believe your account or there is no point

We have to assume what the OP is saying is true

No, lets not forget, it's a tiger of an animal.:P
    I don't want to chown the guy because first of all you have to deal with this tiger sized animal he has with him and secondly anyone walking a dog around like this is likely to be anti-social in my opinion.
    A tiger can weigh 300kg, a GSD will weigh between 35-45kgs. Lets put the OPs hyperbole into perspective here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know it sounds mad now but would you not go and approach the man and ask him to put the dog on a lead etc.

And I do think that is a pretty judgemental comment to make

"I don't want to chown the guy because first of all you have to deal with this tiger sized animal he has with him and secondly anyone walking a dog around like this is likely to be anti-social in my opinion."

Don't judge a book by its cover all the time otherwise youll be scared of everything..

You either go ask the man, or maybe get another neighbour to go ask him. After that then go and approach the local guards and see what can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Anyone interested actually talking about the thread issues??

The OP may be mistaken, not deliberately posting untruths.

As has already been pointed out, the estate may also be private property, so no laws being broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Dogs to which Regulations apply.
    4. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), these Regulations shall apply to every:—
    ( a ) American Pit Bull Terrier,
    ( b ) Bulldog,
    ( c ) Bull Mastiff,
    ( d ) Dobermann Pinscher,
    ( e ) English Bull Terrier,
    ( f ) German Shepherd (Alsatian),
    ( g ) Japanese Akita,
    ( h ) Japanese Tosa,
    ( i ) Rhodesian Ridgeback,
    ( j ) Rottweiler and
    ( k ) Staffordshire Bull Terrier and
    to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog) and to every other strain or cross of every breed or type of dog described in this article.

(2) These Regulations shall not apply to a dog which is kept by the Garda Síochána and wholly used by a member of the Garda Síochána in the execution of his duty.
    Control of dog.

5. A person shall not permit a dog to which these Regulations apply to be in a public place unless such dog is being led by means of a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding one metre in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.

Muzzling.

6. A person shall not permit a dog to which these Regulations apply to be in a public place unless such dog is securely muzzled.
    Identification of dog.

7. The owner or other person in charge of a dog to which these Regulations apply shall ensure that such dog shall at all times wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner inscribed thereon or on a plate, badge or disc attached thereto

strange that a thread that is based on a law that the law its self hasn't been cited

A&P poster generally pride themselves on been responsible pet owners, yet here we have posters defending an individual that is flouting the law.
    the law is the law, I'm going to attack it as i reckon it is needed but i believe there is no need to list the breeds just say that all dogs weighing over Xkg are required to be on a short lead in public.

ganmo wrote: »
    strange that a thread that is based on a law that the law its self hasn't been cited

A&P poster generally pride themselves on been responsible pet owners, yet here we have posters defending an individual that is flouting the law.
    the law is the law, I'm going to attack it as i reckon it is needed but i believe there is no need to list the breeds just say that all dogs weighing over Xkg are required to be on a short lead in public.

But there are lots of breeds that are heavier than those on the list that aren't restricted :confused:

My point about the law, is that I don't believe there is a car driver in Ireland that hasn't broken the law by speeding. Yet let's all get upset about somebody possibly breaking a nonsensical law. I wonder do those that are so upset by this man also get so irate when they are doing 100kph and get overtaken, or do they pull over to let the speeding car past?

muddypaws wrote: »
    The OP may be mistaken, not deliberately posting untruths.

As has already been pointed out, the estate may also be private property, so no laws being broken.

Okay.. so its a one month old puppy dog (maybe a Maltese -please someone tell me these are even more vicious:)) in a private estate in a far away land were no laws exist, and the toddlers are really teenage bullies that trow sticks and beat dogs.

How did the OP confuses all these matters.. lets start discussing fantasy instead :rolleyes:

Okay.. so its a one month old puppy dog (maybe a Maltese -please someone tell me these are even more vicious:)) in a private estate in a far away land were no laws exist, and the toddlers are really teenage bullies that trow sticks and beat dogs.

How did the OP confuses all these matters.. lets start discussing fantasy instead :rolleyes:

No, it may simply be a private housing estate. No need for flights of fantasy. And yes, any dog can be vicious, you should look at bite statistics, and maybe talk to some dog groomers and find out which breeds are high on the bite list. I'd be very concerned about someone walking a 4 week old puppy, due to disease etc.

From the very poster who accuses others of "misquoting" :rolleyes:
    Muddypaws along with other posters have referred to having the GSD mistaken for a BSD, a Belgian Shepherd dog, or Malinois multiple times. If most dog wardens can't tell the difference how can the OP who's not only prone to exaggeration but has misspelled the breed name?

And just as a side note, We will probable get a dog for our daughter when she is at the right age, but whatever bread I would always make sure i had control of my dog around anyone else in any public or private setting, as it is my dog and my responsibility, including warning kids to be careful if they approach, or even to take my dog out of there way if a sense danger based on my experience with my dog

From the very poster who accuses others of "misquoting" :rolleyes:
    Muddypaws along with other posters have referred to having the GSD mistaken for a BSD, a Belgian Shepherd dog, or Malinois multiple times.

I did not miss quote, I made up my own fantasy to highlight the point that we need to "believe the OP or there is no point"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

muddypaws wrote: »
    But there are lots of breeds that are heavier than those on the list that aren't restricted :confused:

My point about the law, is that I don't believe there is a car driver in Ireland that hasn't broken the law by speeding. Yet let's all get upset about somebody possibly breaking a nonsensical law. I wonder do those that are so upset by this man also get so irate when they are doing 100kph and get overtaken, or do they pull over to let the speeding car past?

Are they less likely to attack than those on the list? If a heavy dog attacks it will cause more damage than if a yaper

This is not a nonsensical law, you simply don't agree with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement