Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pests and Diseases

Options
  • 09-06-2015 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

Hi, there's something wrong with the ivy on the backyard could anyone tell what is it and how would it be possible to heal? Thanks

287go08.jpg

2dl5i6q.jpg

14blq3c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Looks like some sort of wooly aphid to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

That's scale insect at two stages. Spray the underside if the leaves with an insecticide.

It's normally accompanied by sooty mould on the topside of the leaf, which looks like soot hence the name. That will disappear when the scale dies, as it feeds of the sugary sap they secrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Some more pictures here

What kind of spray can I use I've no experience and It looks really bad I am absolutely lost!

358c95v.jpg

33fc6tz.jpg

m9y9lh.jpg

2q9bfiv.jpg

2uo5852.jpg

Get an insecticide in your local garden centre. There are a few different types depending on how earth friendly you want it! In my experience you need something strong for scale insect and repeat spraying as per directions. There's the odd greenfly there too, which might explain the puckered leaves but this variety tends to grow a little like this anyway.

I doesn't look that bad yet tbh.

Something looks like a foam

23ro1td.jpg

• Advertisement

That just looks like Cuckoo Spit. There's a little creature inside it and he's mostly harmless.

This is not on ivy but on my vegs firstly I thought it was just sunburned but there's actually someone moving inside!

ela1kg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PeterMelendez

wow similar thing happened with my plants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

leaf miners.

Advertisement