Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spening €150 more on this PC?

Options
  • 09-06-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I am doing a job for someone where payment is a PC for about €1000, a little more. My needs are mainly in the areas of Video and Photo Editing. I have 3 monitors and a few blank HDDs. Not really bothered about gaming as I use the ps4 for that (not that I do much of that either). I have been following a lot of the threads, so you'll recognise the parts picked! They have been run through the discount site.

My main question is this. Where is the extra €150 best spent. Is the motherboard the best place to throw some extra money at? I have a good few external HDDs with photos, video etc...would I need a Motherboard with more USB 3? Is the PSU powerful enough. I have to spend it so...any advice?

Article No. HV1034IGDE
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2G, 2GB GDDR5
    ready for dispatch

221,62 €

221,62 €
    Article No. HV20XE54DE
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150
    ready for dispatch

250,30 €

250,30 €
    Article No. HV20MI49DE
    16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    ready for dispatch

98,99 €

98,99 €
    Article No. HV1138RNDE
    ASRock H97M Pro4, Sockel 1150, mATX
    available within 2-3 business days

80,79 €

80,79 €
    Article No. HV203HSDDE
    Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Anthracite, ohne Netzteil

69,76 €

69,76 €
    Article No. HV12CZSODE
    Crucial SSD 250GB BX100
    ready for dispatch

84,53 €

84,53 €
    Article No. HVR630TCDE
    Thermaltake Berlin 630W

58,99 €

58,99 €

Total €880

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Power supply is overkill, and a GTX960 is also totally overkill if you're not gaming. Drop down to a GTX750 or 750Ti if you're rendering or similar, if not, a €40 euro graphics card is more than sufficient.

I'd probably buy a larger SSD if I had to spend the money, or maybe a better case. Not a huge amount to be changed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Power supply is overkill, and a GTX960 is also totally overkill if you're not gaming. Drop down to a GTX750 or 750Ti if you're rendering or similar, if not, a €40 euro graphics card is more than sufficient.

I'd probably buy a larger SSD if I had to spend the money, or maybe a better case. Not a huge amount to be changed really.

Thanks...I was thinking it might be a bit much but was hoping to run the 3 monitors and thought the 960 might do that job better....have no idea though. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd get an ATX motherboard, normally more SATA or USB ports, similar price. Only change I'd make after TerrorFirmers. 500w PSU is loads by the way, or even a 450w

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

A 960 could fit the bill nicely for a video editing workload.

If you use Premiere Pro CS5 up through CC I believe you can render effects and the final output a lot faster using the Mercury Playback Engine hardware acceleration with a small textfile edit for Nvidia GTX Cards. Info on speed improvements here.

I know a couple of years back, the GTX 760 and the textfile edit was the best perfomance/value card you could get. I'm assuming the 960 would still be a solid buy if you look into hw acceleration and your editing suite.

An ATX board with more USB3 and Sata would be good as well as possibly a second or even third hdd or ssd. Having source, cached and output files across different disks can really speed up rendering time.

Advertisement