Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Up Golf... Again

Options
  • 09-06-2015 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

So as the title suggests I used to play golf back in the day. Never really took ir seriously nor do I plan to. But I would like to play weekly comps etc. Is it worth joining a club? I used to be a member of Waterville but the price wouldnt suit anymore. Can I play Sunday comps wihtout being a member anywhere? Dooks is next on my list if I were to become a member. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Jealous of your choice of clubs but no real way to play comps without joining a club. Everyone is different but the greenfees for both of those clubs membership maybe the cheaper option if you want to play any golf, what are the membership rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Spoilt for choice I know! I'm not overly sure, emailed dooks but no response. Same with Waterville. But Dooks is considerably cheaper anyway so I will probably go with that. I think Skellig Bay is opening up again soon but I'm not mad on that course.
    So I have to become a member basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

9bred4 wrote: »
    "Taking up golf... again"

Don't do it, Man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

have a look at Ceann Sibeal too (if its within a reasonable distance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Not really into self help books, but maybe the following would help :

http://www.amazon.com/How-Quit-Golf-Twelve-Step-Program/dp/0525946292

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Me boombastic

Dooks is a fantastic club. Played there last week. The course is in great order and and the members and bar staff are very friendly and welcoming. Overall a great club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Dooks is a fantastic club. Played there last week. The course is in great order and and the members and bar staff are very friendly and welcoming. Overall a great club.

totally agreed, a great links course and lovely spot if you live near it. Madness not to join it, but I would hate to be out on it during the winters.

If they would just email me back! Ceann Sibheal is about a 2 hour drive sadly! Not mad on it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

9bred4 wrote: »
    If they would just email me back! Ceann Sibheal is about a 2 hour drive sadly! Not mad on it either

How about picking up the phone and calling them?

When you work 8-6 most days that can be tough. Also it says on their site to email them. Plus I'm in no rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im in the same boat, Waterville's initiation fee is too high for me, used to be a member but I let it go, dont think being a former member gets you any discount either.
    Dooks is a lovely course but some 50 odd km away is a long spin just to play a few holes in the evening, skellig bay is to be redeveloped but that might take 2 years and even then it might not be open to membership

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

What about killorglin? Nice 18 hole course and not crazy money to join either I believe.

http://www.killorglingolf.ie/killorglingolf_membership.html

_DMac_ wrote: »
    What about killorglin? Nice 18 hole course and not crazy money to join either I believe.

http://www.killorglingolf.ie/killorglingolf_membership.html

That is very good value, and you get a Kerry Card as well.

Wonder what the annual sub in Dooks, it really is a gem of a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Never played killorglin if im honest, I will before the summers out though.
    Thats further away than Dooks though which for me is a no go. At just €25 a round it would probably be easier just to pay the green fee if I wanted a round

Not mad on Killorglin. Never played it on a nice day though. Always found it in poor condition

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Since you're starting back again it might be a good idea to start up a thread to track your progress.

Always interesting to see and, in the main, they go down pretty well on here

Still looking at the moment. Plus have a YouTube channel started up recently so spare time and money going into that.

Advertisement