Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Biology - All levels - June 9th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

What was Piloerection about ????

when hairs stand up when cold and trap a layer of warm air underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jammysticks

I said the functions of the large intestines were the digestion of cellulose, and the absorption of water. Feeling dodgy about the digestion of cellulose answer though, as it is performed by symbiotic bacteria, and not the intestine itself. We were only told the main function- the absorption of water. Can anybody confirm this answer?

Is it correct that the survival times of sperm and eggs are both 2 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2345

Is it correct that the survival times of sperm and eggs are both 2 days?

no sperm is 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kellyerica97

what was the diagram of a reproducing yeast cell? was it budding ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 brooksyy96

what did everyone say for the name of asexual reprod in rhizopus??

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

brooksyy96 wrote: »

spore dispersal? =/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Said sporulation

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

Peg14 wrote: »
    Is it their different shapes?

That's bacteria

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

sushua wrote: »
    That's bacteria

bacteria = round, rod and spiral

viruses = round , rod and complex

• Advertisement

2345 wrote: »
    no sperm is 3 days

Ah **** the notes my teacher gave say 2 days, but I remember seeing something different than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2345

Ah **** the notes my teacher gave say 2 days, but I remember seeing something different than that?

the book says sperm is three days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

mitosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnjoeboy

bacteria = round, rod and spiral

viruses = round , rod and complex

Is there not coccus aswel?

Peg14 wrote: »
    mitosis?

Sporulation

Johnjoeboy wrote: »
    Is there not coccus aswel?

Coccus means round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

There were a couple of nice tricks in there, was a pretty tough exam. Still really happy, confident I'll get the A I'm banking on :P Really loved the Genetics and Human Nutrition/Digestive system questions. Did the human defence system and human reproduction, which were both mostly good except for one small thing each. Did the fungi and plant germination questions too, thought they were really good. Really happy over all, definitely did better than I did in the DEB mock :)

Quick question: what are the two organs specific to the immune system?! Had to make that one up!

Is the carbohydrate found in DNA ribose?
    Viruses are hard to classify into kingdoms because they are not living (non-cellular)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rainbow97

Thought that paper was mean enough... The question on immunity organs wtf? and there were other little bitty things that caught me out.. even though I put so much work in the past year. No heart questions at all! I felt like there weren't any 'nice' questions apart from the long question with the spine diagram. Ugh, it was wishful thinking hoping for an A1.. My expected points are decreasing as the exams go by lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lcstudent1234

Did anyone answer the plant virus btw ? I never heard of any but I knew the bacteriophage from viral reproduction was the one that acted on bacteria so I said plantophage hahaha that was all I had

• Advertisement

Quick question: what are the two organs specific to the immune system?! Had to make that one up!

I had to make that up too! we were never told that. I guessed spleen, and should have said appendix too, but I said lymph node....not really an organ but there ya go. If they agree in the marking scheme that we did not have to know that then they'll surely give marks for anything.

Did anyone answer the plant virus btw ? I never heard of any but I knew the bacteriophage from viral reproduction was the one that acted on bacteria so I said plantophage hahaha that was all I had

Hahahah! plantophage. I think an answer was potato/tomato/tobacco mosaic virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Debzc

There were a couple of nice tricks in there, was a pretty tough exam. Still really happy, confident I'll get the A I'm banking on :P Really loved the Genetics and Human Nutrition/Digestive system questions. Did the human defence system and human reproduction, which were both mostly good except for one small thing each. Did the fungi and plant germination questions too, thought they were really good. Really happy over all, definitely did better than I did in the DEB mock :)

That got me too! I wrote spleen and randomly guessed another (wrongly). Possible answers are: Spleen, lymph nodes and thymus apparently.

Since when are lymph nodes an organ?! And I thought thymus was a gland? Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

I had to make that up too! we were never told that. I guessed spleen, and should have said appendix too, but I said lymph node....not really an organ but there ya go. If they agree in the marking scheme that we did not have to know that then they'll surely give marks for anything.

I said the lymph nodes and the thymus :P they're both specific to the immune system but pretty sure neither are orans lol!! What does the spleen do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lcstudent1234

Hahahah! plantophage. I think an answer was potato/tomato/tobacco mosaic virus.

Sound kied, swear I've never heard of one before so was sickened to see it pop up, got a laugh out of it though haha

Is the carbohydrate found in DNA ribose?
    Viruses are hard to classify into kingdoms because they are not living (non-cellular)?

Could you have said they only have one nucleic acid

I said the lymph nodes and the thymus :P they're both specific to the immune system but pretty sure neither are orans lol!! What does the spleen do?

I think the definition of "organ" is quite broad, as it is just a group of tissues working together with a common function. In that case, the thymus is definitely an answer. Lymph nodes are in with a good shot too I'd say. And while i'm unsure exactly what the spleen does, I do know that it's right, as I've heard it briefly mentioned about immunity before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

thymus, bone marrow, lymph nodes

Johnjoeboy wrote: »
    Could you have said they only have one nucleic acid

That is a reason that they can be classified as non-living, but the question is whether they are asking for something specific like that, or whether they just want something general like "not alive".

Are two parts of the large intestine the appendix and the colon? Was thinking of putting in rectum instead of appendix, but was unsure whether this is technically after the large intestine.

Also, is one way that bacteria can respond to an adverse environment the development of an endospore around their nucleus? I didn't say "they develop an endospore" I said "they develop an endospore around their nucleus".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

I think the definition of "organ" is quite broad, as it is just a group of tissues working together with a common function. In that case, the thymus is definitely an answer. Lymph nodes are in with a good shot too I'd say. And while i'm unsure exactly what the spleen does, I do know that it's right, as I've heard it briefly mentioned about immunity before.

Never even thought of lymph nodes and thymus! I said nose and stomach cause of mucus, hairs and acid to kill the antigens. Dunno though!

:p
    Are two parts of the large intestine the appendix and the colon? Was thinking of putting in rectum instead of appendix, but was unsure whether this is technically after the large intestine.

I said colon and rectum but appendix is part of it too!

Advertisement