Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Biology - All levels - June 9th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jammysticks

What is a catabolic process that produces monosaccharides? I said chemical digestion by enzyme action.
    :p

I said colon and rectum but appendix is part of it too!

Cool beans!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

What is a catabolic process that produces monosaccharides? I said chemical digestion by enzyme action.

Respiration (glucose)? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

What did people get for the yeast agar nutrient? I think I just said starch!

That's the answer! Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kerrypike

That's the answer! Nice one

Could you not say digestion as that breaks starch down into glucose?

Absolutely ridiculous question. I said starch as well but the nutrient used in the book is agar? Ridiculous exam overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Helpmeout123

when hairs stand up when cold and trap a layer of warm air underneath.

Awhh nooo...oh well nothing I can do about it now.
    Thanks anyways:)

Kerrypike wrote: »
    Could you not say digestion as that breaks starch down into glucose?

They may accept that, as it's just a more round-about way to say it. You can be sure the answer is respiration though.

Did anyone put down amino acids for like the very first part of the first short question???

Absolutely ridiculous question. I said starch as well but the nutrient used in the book is agar? Ridiculous exam overall

I'd say we'll get full marks for starch, as the correct nutrient was never specified in our books.
    Did anyone put down amino acids for like the very first part of the first short question???

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, not carbohydrates.

If it's respiration I think I'll cry...wrote that down first but then crossed it out and wrote down digestion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

i put monosaccharide

Yeah I said starch aswell:)
    Dianabluex wrote: »
    i put monosaccharide

Just curious, why did you choose that answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

I put carbon hydrogen and oxygen for the first one

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, not carbohydrates.

Ohhh makes so much sense now :(..what answer did you put down?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

In the catabolic question in 1 respiration uses glucose it doesnt make it so thats wrong i think. But i presume they meant anabolic because then the answer is photosynthesis because there is no answer on our course for a catabolic one so id say the question was a typo. So all answers will probably get the marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Just curious, why did you choose that answer?

because the monosaccharide is the smallest unit of carbohydrate and example is glucose

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

They may accept that, as it's just a more round-about way to say it. You can be sure the answer is respiration though.

Did it not say a process that produces monosaccharides? Respiration breaks down monosaccharides, it doesn't produce them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

Yeah the questions were really obscure! That experiment on the iodine and tadpoles?! I thought it only had to be experiments we did ourselves!

Dianabluex wrote: »
    because the monosaccharide is the smallest unit of carbohydrate and example is glucose

Yep just checked it out now, *sigh*
    Thanks anyways!

Anyone get an answer for the question about cutting down hedgerows or something??

Anyone get an answer for the question about cutting down hedgerows or something??
    I took an educated guess and said they had to take cautions as there could be organisms living in them or they could be destroying an organisms habitat. Im not sure if thats correct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I'd presume the answer was to do with destroying birds nests or the fruit on the hedges that they eat.

fin709 wrote: »
    I took an educated guess and said they had to take cautions as there could be organisms living in them or they could be destroying an organisms habitat. Im not sure if thats correct

No that makes perfectly good sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

i said malt agar.. ****

sushua wrote: »
    i said malt agar.. ****

Yeah i just said malt ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Yes it was a tough exam alright. I got really stressed out and missed a couple of questions out of pure nerves and they all started hitting me as I was walking home :(:(

Although I don't think I did too bad. Overall not the end of the world, just hoped it would have gone better. Just going to forget about it now and move on - Higher level

• Registered Users Posts: 1 11123

In the genetics question, did people just say the letter of the diagram that matched the description?

Fiona G wrote: »
    Did it not say a process that produces monosaccharides? Respiration breaks down monosaccharides, it doesn't produce them.

Oh wow! you're absolutely right. Thank god.

11123 wrote: »
    In the genetics question, did people just say the letter of the diagram that matched the description?

Yep, that's all they asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

fin709 wrote: »
    Yeah i just said malt ...

i just looked in the book and it actually is malt woooo go us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Which carbohydrate is always found in DNA?

Advertisement