Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Biology - All levels - June 9th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jammysticks

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    Which carbohydrate is always found in DNA?

(deoxy)ribose

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sushua

Which carbohydrate is always found in DNA?

sugar - deoxyribose

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

Is the chemical composition of chromosomes protein? I had that but then crossed it out and wrote phosphate/sugar/nitrogen thinking of the DNA part.. Will I get marks? because technically...?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

sushua wrote: »
    sugar - deoxyribose

Would one lose marks for just ribose?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

I without a doubt failed this exam, was a horrible paper in my opinion, the questions were really tough.

• Advertisement

Bah_Humbug wrote: »
    Is the chemical composition of chromosomes protein? I had that but then crossed it out and wrote phosphate/sugar/nitrogen thinking of the DNA part.. Will I get marks? because technically...?

It's protein and nucleic acid/DNA. The other answers might do, but probably not. Phosphate and Nitrogen are elements, not chemicals.
    KA97 wrote: »
    I without a doubt failed this exam, was a horrible paper in my opinion, the questions were really tough.

It was utterly bizarre in comparison to previous years. Just like last year. Loads of people would've been unhappy.
    Would one lose marks for just ribose?

I don't think so. In the marking scheme they often say the answer is (deoxy)ribose, meaning the deoxy bit is optional.

What labels were needed for the yeast reproduction apart from colony and just a standard yeast cell?

What labels were needed for the yeast reproduction apart from colony and just a standard yeast cell?

Probably nucleus too.

For two parts of the large intestine could you have said colon & caecum?

Quick question: what are the two organs specific to the immune system?! Had to make that one up!
    I said the spleen and the thymus?[/QUOTE]

That's what most people who got the question said. It's not on our course, so any reasonable attempt will probably get marks. Both are good answers.
    sushua wrote: »
    For two parts of the large intestine could you have said colon & caecum?

Yeppers!

• Advertisement

Probably nucleus too.

You're right. Damn it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cazz19

Was the virus question in the shorts labelled wrong? The arrow B was pointing at the viral nucleic acid, but the question was asking for biomolecules? Same was A, pointing at the protein coat, yet asking for chemical? I was very confused by this. Maybe I didn't interpret the question right

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Cazz19 wrote: »
    Was the virus question in the shorts labelled wrong? The arrow B was pointing at the viral nucleic acid, but the question was asking for biomolecules? Same was A, pointing at the protein coat, yet asking for chemical? I was very confused by this. Maybe I didn't interpret the question right

Yeah I got confused about that aswell.. I still said protein and DNA though

Cazz19 wrote: »

That may have been mis-labelled, in which case marks will be awarded for however you interpreted the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

The more I read this thread the lower my grade in my head is going :O

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well, stop reading it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

HL

Thought the first four long questions were really easy and we were so lucky to get that tadpole question. Found the short questions difficult but overall it was easier than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kermin

Messed up 10c had it right first time round, checking back over my answers "hang men are XY not XX" changed it all to be wrong :( There goes a 6.25%, minimum one grade max 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The grade in your head doesn't matter a damn, it's the one in the sheet in August which matters.

Very often, students get hung up on the bits they get wrong (or think they got wrong) and underestimate what they got right, and end up depressing themselves needlessly.

Post-mortems are only a good idea on CSI! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Post-mortems are only a good idea on CSI! ;)

CSI: Leaving Cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

I was counting on it for an A1.
    Gone, just like that.

(Higher level)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

So Q 5 (a) says determine the conc. of the potato cells, which is grand, but on our paper it said something like "determine the concentration of the solution" and then our examiner said there was a mistake and told us to write in "at the start of the experiment" which made no sense. Just wondering did this happen in all exam centres??

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

So Q 5 (a) says determine the conc. of the potato cells, which is grand, but on our paper it said something like "determine the concentration of the solution" and then our examiner said there was a mistake and told us to write in "at the start of the experiment" which made no sense. Just wondering did this happen in all exam centres??

Yeah it happened in mine. They read out the corrections at the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

it happened to us as well everyone was laughing because we couldn't understand the examiner and there was another correction on pg 8 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well the concentrations of solution and potato would change over time; so it's more accurate to say "at the start of the experiment" rather than have people trying to work out averages or something weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

What was true/false?
    (a) Meiosis is an important source of variation.
    (b) Mitosis occurs in mature red blood cells in humans.
    (c) During mitosis the nuclear membrane temporarily disappears.
    (d) Meiosis gives rise to the haploid condition.
    (e) In multicellular organisms mitosis functions primarily in growth.
    (f) In plants, a cell plate forms during telophase of mitosis.
    (g) The human zygote divides by meiosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

What was true/false?

All true apart from (b) and (g) I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

ronivek wrote: »
    All true apart from (b) and (g) I think.

Damn, said a and g =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

What was true/false?

T
    F
    T
    T
    T
    T
    F
    Thats what i put, im not sure but i think thats right not 100% sure on e) or b)

Advertisement