Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Biology - All levels - June 9th***

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

uzpuz wrote: »
    I wrote water as well but some of my friends claimed it was ATP. If water was the compound then what was Gas Y?

I Think gas Y was O2,since the arrow indicates that the Gas Y was converted to compound D(water).
    uzpuz wrote: »
    I wrote water as well but some of my friends claimed it was ATP. If water was the compound then what was Gas Y?

I Think gas Y was O2,since the arrow indicates that the Gas Y was converted to compound D(water).

I still think it was a great paper, they really made us think about the ideas rather then just spewing of pre-learned definitions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

The answer to 1 iii) was a condensation reaction.

I'm aiming for an A1 on the exam but I made a number of mistakes:
    Section A:
    I said dehydration instead of condensation.
    I said false to the part of 4 about cell plates (making a note at the side about cytokinesis taking place after mitosis)
    Section B:
    No mistakes
    Section C:
    I answered every question - but it was a comedy of errors.
    Q10:
    Didn't bother reading the introduction to c) and hence got the whole thing wrong
    Q11:
    Attached the gall bladder to the pancreas in my diagram.
    Also said the anus was part of the large intestine.
    Q12:
    Said the compound D was ATP
    Q13:
    Said a community was a "group of populations in an area"
    Managed to accidentally skip b) v)
    Q14:
    Said spleen and red bone marrow for organs.
    I think I may have got the survival times of the egg and sperm mixed up. I'm not sure though.
    Q15
    Answered all three parts:
    a) no mistakes
    b) no mistakes
    c) got asepis vs septic wrong

Do I have any chance of an A1? - assuming that the above is a total list of all my mistakes (I've spent three days having nightmares about it, so I think so)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Would anyone have a sort of sample marking scheme for part C?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

expiiplus1 wrote: »

Q14:

If you're talking about 1 b), condensation reactions aren't catabolic.

Also the spleen is an organ!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 uzpuz

expiiplus1 wrote: »

I'm aiming for an A1 on the exam but I made a number of mistakes:
    Section A:
    I said dehydration instead of condensation.
    I said false to the part of 4 about cell plates (making a note at the side about cytokinesis taking place after mitosis)
    Section B:
    No mistakes
    Section C:
    I answered every question - but it was a comedy of errors.
    Q10:
    Didn't bother reading the introduction to c) and hence got the whole thing wrong
    Q11:
    Attached the gall bladder to the pancreas in my diagram.
    Also said the anus was part of the large intestine.
    Q12:
    Said the compound D was ATP
    Q13:
    Said a community was a "group of populations in an area"
    Managed to accidentally skip b) v)
    Q14:
    I think I may have got the survival times of the egg and sperm mixed up. I'm not sure though.
    Q15
    Answered all three parts:
    a) no mistakes
    b) no mistakes
    c) got asepis vs septic wrong

Do I have any chance of an A1? - assuming that the above is a total list of all my mistakes (I've spent three days having nightmares about it, so I think so)

I said bone marrow and thymus for the 2 organs. When I came home I googled the question and it gave me my answer correct which was thymus bone marrow spleen.
    I nearly put down anus as part of large intestine but put down rectum. I had appendix written too. My diagram was appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 hooked96

For "Which famous 19th century biologist is regarded as ‘the father of genetics’?" I wrote 'Gregor Mendal' instead of 'Gregor Mendel'? Anyone know if I lost marks there?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

hooked96 wrote: »
    For "Which famous 19th century biologist is regarded as ‘the father of genetics’?" I wrote 'Gregor Mendal' instead of 'Gregor Mendel'? Anyone know if I lost marks there?

I just wrote Mendel. Hope i didnt lose marks haha

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

hooked96 wrote: »

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I can't see either being penalised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

I can't see either being penalised tbh.

+1.

You both clearly knew the answer (which is the correct one btw) so you I'd be very confident that you'll both get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Just wondering how everyone her did in their Biology, given that hideous paper. :) I thought I'd be getting the first D of my life and I got a B2. I am beyond chuffed!

How did everyone else do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

Galbin wrote: »
    Just wondering how everyone her did in their Biology, given that hideous paper. :) I thought I'd be getting the first D of my life and I got a B2. I am beyond chuffed!

How did everyone else do?

Well done! Got a B3 myself! Very happy with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Well done! Got a B3 myself! Very happy with it :D

I was a crying mess after the exam itself. How did you think you did? I am on cloud nine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hooked96

Thought I got a C2 and got a B2! :D well done lads!! And to those who didn't get what they want, repeating is so worth it in the end :D PM if any of ye have any questions or doubts on repeating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

I got an A2 which was seriously the joke of the day for me!! Never expected such a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Disappointed with my result - did the entire paper and got a b3. I'm hoping that there was a calculation error. Got a b1 in mocks. Was happy with how my paper went. Will view it and hopefully there will be an error :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Peg14 wrote: »
    I got an A2 which was seriously the joke of the day for me!! Never expected such a result

Hahaha I also got an A2 and after the exam I thought I would be lucky to get a B.

Advertisement