Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slaven Bilic - New West Ham Manager

• 09-06-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33062196
    West Ham have named former defender Slaven Bilic as their new manager.
    The 46-year-old replaces Sam Allardyce, who left by mutual consent last month after the Hammers finished 12th in the Premier League.

Bilic, who has signed a three-year deal, said: "It is a great place to play and I felt like I was at home."

He played 54 times for the Upton Park side between 1996 and 1997 and managed Croatia for six years, beating England twice in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

He was also manager at Lokomotiv Moscow and Besiktas, whom he left in May.

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't like this hire at all.

I thought he and his Croatia team were a breath of fresh air in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, getting through a very tough group and subsequently were a joy to watch at the tournament before succumbing to Turkey on penalties in the quarter final but since then it has been mostly downhill for him as a amanager really. They failed to get out of an extremely passable qualifying group for World Cup 2010 and basically just met expectations at Euro 2012 by finishing 3rd in that group.

His spell at Lokomotiv Moscow was an unmitigated disaster as he guided them to 9th, the clubs worst finish in Russian Premier League history (over 20 odd years), and at Beskitas he didn't do anything at all above expectations as he finished 3rd in the league two seasons in a row, got to the last 16 of the Europa League and won nothing domestically.

I can't see him doing any better than Allardyce and would think he'll ultimately end up doing worse. It seems to be an appointment to appease the fans from the board moreso than anything else. Bilic certainly doesn't have the CV to indicate he'll be able to push West Ham on IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He'll do no better league position wise, IMO but he'll probably play better football. Which seems to be the bare minimum for any manager at Upton Park.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, West Ham started off last season flying and faded badly fom about December onwards and finished probably par for the course.

If Bilic doesnt start as brightly he could face an uphill struggle for league positions so one to watch over the next few months to see who he brings in himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Important job for him. It's critical that West Ham don't start their tenure at the Olympic Stadium hosting Championship matches. His career is basically drifting along, a big high at the start, big dip in Moscow as Paully D said, patches of middling-to-okay in between. I think he will look to play progressive football and I also think he should look to the academy. West Ham have turned out some decent-looking young defenders over the last few seasons. Even the likes of Jack Collison and Noble, they're not superstars but they've a decent level of technique and are capable of playing passing football.

Replacing Song is big for them, I can't see them buying him. Nolan and Carroll phased out and a fluid 4-4-2 is what I forsee, and we'll see how that pans out. Why Allardyce turned from the diamond and the speed of Sakho and Valencia up front last season I don't know, but it had a hugely deleterious affect on West Ham's form. Personally I wish Bilic well, he seems a decent man and his teams can be good to watch. They gave Germany an awful chasing in their group game at EURO 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd also be in the doubters camp. If your club career consists of just Russia and Turkey, you really need to have excelled there to suggest you can make the jump to a much more competitive league where at West Ham you'll never be that strong a favourite to win a game.

Wouldn't expect him to start 16/17 as boss but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Not a pragmatic appointment by any means but he is held in high regard by the fans even though he didn't play too many games for them. I agree with other posters and think he'll struggle maybe as the saying goes for hammers fans be careful what you wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Paully D wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33062196

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't like this hire at all.

I thought he and his Croatia team were a breath of fresh air in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, getting through a very tough group and subsequently were a joy to watch at the tournament before succumbing to Turkey on penalties in the quarter final but since then it has been mostly downhill for him as a amanager really. They failed to get out of an extremely passable qualifying group for World Cup 2010 and basically just met expectations at Euro 2012 by finishing 3rd in that group.

His spell at Lokomotiv Moscow was an unmitigated disaster as he guided them to 9th, the clubs worst finish in Russian Premier League history (over 20 odd years), and at Beskitas he didn't do anything at all above expectations as he finished 3rd in the league two seasons in a row, got to the last 16 of the Europa League and won nothing domestically.

I can't see him doing any better than Allardyce and would think he'll ultimately end up doing worse. It seems to be an appointment to appease the fans from the board moreso than anything else. Bilic certainly doesn't have the CV to indicate he'll be able to push West Ham on IMO.

I wouldn't judge him on Russia. Current Sevilla manager coached there and did not last long.

Besiktas are the third club in Turkey behind Fener and Gala. Again, that is where they are and generally where they stay. Mancini, who won Premier League titles and Serie A titles did little in Turkey with Gala.

Along with Greece, Turkey and Russia are Wild West places to manage teams.

He'll get the Hammers playing good football and they should stay mid-table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Results wise he'll do very well to match what they did under Allardyce in the league. Maybe make a push in one of the Cups.

I'm curious who the op thinks a mid to lower ranking EPL side like West Ham could attract as a manager, unless they make a complete gamble on an unknown project type manager? Bilic is still young and still hungry for success as a manager, but he also has some experience and has a profile at the club. I think it's a good appointment for West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't expect anyone gettable for West Ham would do a better job than Allardyce did. I guess the dream is midtable finishes while playing "good" football? If Bilic achieves that he'll be doing very well imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Important job for him. It's critical that West Ham don't start their tenure at the Olympic Stadium hosting Championship matches.

With the pressure of playing next season at the Olympic stadium as a premiership outfit - managing West Ham could be a tough job for anyone , and having to play the West Ham way - and having the Gold /Sullivan crew beathing down your neck , if results don't going well , expect a quick sack. Mark Hughes may have been a better bet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This will end in Champions League qualification, relegation or both, nothing in between.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement