Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glyphosate ban date

Options
  • 09-06-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

What date will the ban* on the sale of Glyphosate (roundup/gallup etc) come into effect ?

I'm looking to stock up, and monsanto have emailed me to say that roundup will have a 7 to 8yr shelf life.
    So i'm looking to buy it at pretty much the last minute so that i can get the freshest batch.

*licence required to buy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

mikeecho wrote: »
    What date will the ban* on the sale of Glyphosate (roundup/gallup etc) come into effect ?

I'm looking to stock up, and monsanto have emailed me to say that roundup will have a 7 to 8yr shelf life.
    So i'm looking to buy it at pretty much the last minute so that i can get the freshest batch.

*licence required to buy

No ban, the licence is only required if you are using it commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

30 November , you need a licence to buy it after that. You will be able to buy 1 ltr carton without a licence , licence for any larger quantity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

You won't need a license to buy herbicides but you will need one to buy anything over 1 litre of product. More specifically, whoever sells you more than 1 litre of chemical will need your license number, so they can show exactly where the product has gone, ie; it has been sold to someone who has been trained in the safe use of pesticides/herbicides.
    It looks like the 1 litre bottles that will be available for public use will be diluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

You can buy weedkillers which contain pelargonic acid and are organic and biodegradable. Quite expensive presently but costs may come down with more sales.
    Very effective and quicker acting than Roundup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Roundup weedkiller banned from French garden centres over 'probable' link to cancer

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/roundup-weedkiller-banned-from-french-garden-centres-over-probable-link-to-cancer-10319877.html
    France has announced a ban on over the counter sales of a brand of weedkiller from garden centres after the active ingredient was classified as "probably carcinogenic to humans" by the UN.

The UN’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified glyphosate in March as "probably carcinogenic to humans", and is the active ingredient in Roundup.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    You can buy weedkillers which contain pelargonic acid and are organic and biodegradable. Quite expensive presently but costs may come down with more sales.
    Very effective and quicker acting than Roundup.

What are the trade names of weed killers with this active ingredient?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tha availability or not of chemicals after the introduction of the new regulations is not base on the size of the container.

The department have listed chemicals as either Amature or Professional depending in the active ingredient and the concentration of same. If your chemical is listed as Professional then a liscence will be required to purchase it, if it's Amature then it can be purchased in any quantity.
    I'm on the phone, but I can post a link to the website later on.

What are the trade names of weed killers with this active ingredient?

Here's one http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/earth-matters-natural-weedkiller/em_weedkiller

You're not supposed to spray it near edible plants within 24 hours of eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Suresanders, on my phone so can't link. The one I've used is Neudorff Fast Acting Weedkiller. It retails for about E25/litre for concentrate or E8 for 750ml dilute. Should be readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

This ban is politically inspired rubbish.
    I am still using Gramaxone, I appear to be aok, when was that banned?
    Drinking water from plastic bottles probably leads to 1000 fold ingestion of toxins compared to a once yearly spray of roundup on your vege patch..

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »
    Drinking water from plastic bottles probably leads to 1000 fold ingestion of toxins compared to a once yearly spray of roundup on your vege patch..

That's your choice. And I'm sure you have good scientific backing for your statement that drinking water from plastic bottles gives you a thousand times as much poison as a yearly spray of Roundup.

I don't personally like using oil from plastic bottles - wouldn't worry so much about water. But when I see a world body of doctors warning on a pesticide made by a company far more wealthy and powerful than that doctors' body, I take notice.

I also don't like drenching soil with weedkillers because of its effect on the 'microherd' - the vast number of helpful bacteria living in the soil and, with the earthworms and other beasties, helping the plants to grow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your extensive research has me convinced.

This reminds me of similar chats when organo-phosphates were first theorised to be dangerous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organophosphate_poisoning The BBC early-morning farming programme had many pieces about it, with farmers talking about memory loss and confusion after dipping sheep without protective clothing. They banged on about it for a couple of years, and meanwhile farmers and gardeners were using the deadly stuff. I don't like to think how much early Alzheimer's was caused by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Gramoxone (paraquat) is very poisonous in concentrate form. It was restricted to reduce poisonings, not because of any damage to the environment.

As far as I am aware Roundup is not generally considered to be poisonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Just an Update, i've stocked up with 2x20L of Glyphosate, that should keep me going for a few years.

BTW, i paid the extra for Roundup, as it seemingly has a longer shelf life (i mailed monsanto, and the makers of Rosate and Gallup etc)

Roundup has a shelf life of 7 to8 years, while the others have 3 to 5 yr shelf life

Just an Update, i've stocked up with 2x20L of Glyphosate, that should keep me going for a few years.

BTW, i paid the extra for Roundup, as it seemingly has a longer shelf life (i mailed monsanto, and the makers of Rosate and Gallup etc)

Roundup has a shelf life of 7 to8 years, while the others have 3 to 5 yr shelf life

How will you be storing it for the few years?

How will you be storing it for the few years?

Well, I have some 5l containers of Gallup and Rosate, that I'll use up this year and next.
    Then I'll start on the 20l containers of roundup.

So I reckon I'll have a 6 or 7yr supply of glyphosate.

After that, there should be a relatively potent and cost effective alternative available.

(I might even get another 20 or 40l before the restrictions kick in)

Edit. Just noticed what the actual question was.

I'll be storing it indoors in a well insulated garage, where the temp will never drop below freezing ( unless we have a repeat of the winter of three years ago)

And it will be on an industrial shelving unit, on the top shelf along with my other most toxic chems away from harms way.

but where will you store it? The reason I ask is that if the temperature drops below -10 degrees the glyphosate will crystalize and loose its effectiveness. If we to have a really bad winter what would you do. Bring it into the house and store it there?

but where will you store it? The reason I ask is that if the temperature drops below -10 degrees the glyphosate will crystalize and loose its effectiveness. If we to have a really bad winter what would you do. Bring it into the house and store it there?

I doubt we'll get -10 in this county, but if we do, I'll take your advice and bring it indoors

• Advertisement

I doubt we'll get -10 in this county, but if we do, I'll take your advice and bring it indoors

we did in 2010 and 2011. Glad your able to save yourself a few quid

I would ignore any best before date on roundup.
    In reality it doesnt lose its potency under normal (Irish) storage conditions. Buy enough now, your next of kin will be keeping your grave clear with the stash!!

03ffadbc615724266e996c4a6477cc9057febe65559a54d08d441479ab16612d.jpg

........ Buy enough now, your next of kin will be keeping your grave clear with the stash!!

That's your choice. And I'm sure you have good scientific backing for your statement that drinking water from plastic bottles gives you a thousand times as much poison as a yearly spray of Roundup.

I don't personally like using oil from plastic bottles - wouldn't worry so much about water. But when I see a world body of doctors warning on a pesticide made by a company far more wealthy and powerful than that doctors' body, I take notice.

I also don't like drenching soil with weedkillers because of its effect on the 'microherd' - the vast number of helpful bacteria living in the soil and, with the earthworms and other beasties, helping the plants to grow.

Interesting... I gave my property a good dosage of rosrate recently, and in the following days I noticed a few dead/dieing bees around the place.

Might be coincidence, but it won't stop me from using glyphosates anytime soon..

Btw, am I better off getting the 20l containers or the 5l containers.

I reckon I use about 5 to 7l a year.
    I'm just wondering about storing glyphosate in an unsealed drum over a 2 or 3yr period

Went about applying for my license 2 months ago. On the Dept. website there is the option to apply in writing using a downloadable form, or you can apply using the online form. I filled in the online form. A week later, I got a reply e-mail with my reference number.
    Last week I got an e-mail saying that to complete the next step of the process, I must print off the downloadable form, fill in the information (that I've already supplied) and send it off to them.

I can't help but get the feeling that this whole thing exists primarily to give someone a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

I would ignore any best before date on roundup.
    In reality it doesnt lose its potency under normal (Irish) storage conditions. Buy enough now, your next of kin will be keeping your grave clear with the stash!!
    Dont worry,it will only break down into harmless substances when it hits the soil.....

Well I stocked up today, 20 litres of Roundup at €55 per 5L container! The generic stuff was all sold out. I wonder why.

This must be a sales bonanza for Monsanto. This stupid (IMO) new rule has caused massive stockpiling of weedkillers in houses and sheds throughout the country hence the risk to Joe Public is actually increased.

Well I stocked up today, 20 litres of Roundup at €55 per 5L container! The generic stuff was all sold out. I wonder why.

This must be a sales bonanza for Monsanto. This stupid (IMO) new rule has caused massive stockpiling of weedkillers in houses and sheds throughout the country hence the risk to Joe Public is actually increased.

I don't agree. the amount of people I see going around with a knapsack and no mask spraying in poor conditions. people need to be trained. Take for example this question. after spraying do you take your clothes of and wash them or wear a spray suit. Any chemical residue on them can be very harmful to pregnant women.

You have fellas going around for the day in the clothes with chemicals on them. clueless to the harm they might be causing

The 20L drum costs about 160.

Although measuring out 100mls from a 20L drum is more trouble than it's worth.

• Advertisement

The 20L drum costs about 160.
    Although measuring out 100mls from a 20L drum is more trouble than it's worth.

Yea I looked at the 20L container. I decided to pay for convenience by paying extra for the 5L containers..
    Any time I siphon from the car I end up witb a mouthful of diesel.

Advertisement