Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glyphosate ban date

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

You are being sarcastic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭mikeecho

These taps are handy for dispensing from 20/25l drums.
    They cost about €3 - 5

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

elsie1b wrote: »
    You are being sarcastic ?

No I am not being sarcastic.

The appropriate phrase is

dramatic irony.

Dramatic irony occurs when the audience knows something the characters do not.
    Mouthful of diesel.
    Mouthful of roundup.
    Both cause cancer.

The 20L drum costs about 160.

Co-op superstore near me is selling roundup 5L for €39
    And 20L drum for €130

The generic versions are cheaper again, but I opted for roundup as it has a longer shelf life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

elsie1b wrote: »
    Dramatic irony occurs when the audience knows something the characters do not.
    Mouthful of diesel.
    Mouthful of roundup.
    Both cause cancer.

be grand

I was in the chemical store of my local co_op recently. ( the drums of chems were too heavy for the girls to lift) and I noticed that their stocks of glyphosate were well down on this time two years ago.

Looks like they have reduced their stocks significantly of 5l's and they didn't have a huge amount of 20l's either.

It's definitely time for the unlicensed joe soap to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

mikeecho wrote: »
    Co-op superstore near me is selling roundup 5L for €39
    And 20L drum for €130

The generic versions are cheaper again, but I opted for roundup as it has a longer shelf life.

Is that for the pro biactive? If so that is very cheap.

monkeynuz wrote: »

Roundup xl

It's a concentrate, don't have it near me to check

monkeynuz wrote: »

It's this stuff

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/331591539680

Sorry if posting that link breaks any rules..

If so, mods please delete

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    be grand

You can always get someone to say the truth , for money.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y_N4u0uRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

would I be in the minority in actually being happy about this new law

We probably are in a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People need to relax..
    There is no restriction on the likes of Gallup..

Panic buying large volumes of chemicals to be stored in rickedy old wooden garden sheds probably poses a bigger risk than the chemicals themselves..

If anyone is interested in facts..
    HERE is the link to the register of pesticides. All chemicals listed as amateur will have no restriction to their purchase.

Agricultural commercial chemicals should only be handled by someone with some level of training, this makes perfect sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

That link's not working I'm afraid. The error seems to be with their server.

In fact I can't find any solid details about this licensing restriction anywhere. All I know is that someone in my family heard something on the radio, and now they all think they have to either get a college degree in biochemistry or go weeding by hand again.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Doubt.It wrote: »
    That link's not working I'm afraid. The error seems to be with their server.

In fact I can't find any solid details about this licensing restriction anywhere. All I know is that someone in my family heard something on the radio, and now they all think they have to either get a college degree in biochemistry or go weeding by hand again.

I have just used the link; working ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

_Brian wrote: »
    People need to relax..
    There is no restriction on the likes of Gallup..

Panic buying large volumes of chemicals to be stored in rickedy old wooden garden sheds probably poses a bigger risk than the chemicals themselves..

If anyone is interested in facts..
    HERE is the link to the register of pesticides. All chemicals listed as amateur will have no restriction to their purchase.

Agricultural commercial chemicals should only be handled by someone with some level of training, this makes perfect sense..
    So there are two Gallups on the list there; "Home and Garden" which is full strength 360g/litre glyphosphate, but only available in a 1 litre bottle. So this corresponds with the info on page one of this thread (saying a 1 litre limit).

The other Gallup listed there is called "Gallup Biograde Weedkiller RTU" which is pre-diluted at 7.2g/litre with some of the most expensive water you will ever buy ;)

There is another Gallup called "360" produced in 5 litre containers which is not listed. But if and when it is listed there, presumably it would be listed for "professional use", just like the equivalent Roundup is.

_Brian wrote: »
    Its all the same chemical, its the quantity really that is being restricted for amateurs. Which still makes some sense, but less.
    Its like being allowed to buy prescription drugs without a prescription, but one tablet at a time.

Mind you, if money was no option, maybe you could buy a crate of one litre amateur bottles? One law for the rich and another for the poor... again :pac:

recedite wrote: »
    Mind you, if money was no option, maybe you could buy a crate of one litre amateur bottles? One law for the rich and another for the poor... again :pac:

Or you could just do the course which I have seen is down to €100. In last weeks Mayo News

• Advertisement

I already know how to spray. I'd be more interested in seeing some restrictions placed on commercial spraying, especially on food crops pre-harvest. I'm told some Irish farmers are spraying potatoes with glyphospate pre-harvest so that the stems don't foul up the machinery.
    If I buy a bag of spuds in the supermarket, and some are sprouting by the time I get to the bottom of the bag, I always see that as a good sign.
    If they won't sprout, not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

5 Ltr RoundUp ProBiactive €55 Chadwicks Oct 31st. Checked Clonmel, not sure what other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

.....From 1/1/2016 it is banned in France so maybe the question should be is it safe for us to use, and for the consumer to digest when they buy our food.

If the French consider Glyphosate a very dangerous product then why do the Irish not have any worries about it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That's your choice. And I'm sure you have good scientific backing for your statement that drinking water from plastic bottles gives you a thousand times as much poison as a yearly spray of Roundup.

I don't personally like using oil from plastic bottles - wouldn't worry so much about water. But when I see a world body of doctors warning on a pesticide made by a company far more wealthy and powerful than that doctors' body, I take notice.

I also don't like drenching soil with weedkillers because of its effect on the 'microherd' - the vast number of helpful bacteria living in the soil and, with the earthworms and other beasties, helping the plants to grow.

I did research work with Paraquat Gramoxone. We applied it a very high concentrations on test plots over several years. It didn't kill Earthworms, Microarthropods, or anything else. The only thing that affected numbers was the lack of vegetation.

A lot of environmental researcher say that the WHO cancer report is flawed & there is no risk

http://www.producer.com/2015/12/scientists-find-no-evidence-glyphosate-causes-cancer/

Discodog wrote: »
    A lot of environmental researcher say that the WHO cancer report is flawed & there is no risk

http://www.producer.com/2015/12/scientists-find-no-evidence-glyphosate-causes-cancer/
    Monsanto asked Intertek to assemble the panel to review the IARC findings.
    I'm always a bit suspicious when scientists are employed by the company who makes the product they are supposedly "independently testing".

Also I see that France has not in fact banned all glyphosphate usage; only the over-the-counter sales in garden centres.

I still think both Ireland and France are barking up the wrong tree on this issue. They are placing restrictions on the guy who wants to use it on weeds around his own garden. But the farmer who sprays tonnes of the stuff on crops that other people will be eating faces no restrictions.

Ban on glyphosate update..

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/22/european-commission-glyphosate-weedkiller-leaked-proposal

And I've enough stockpiled till the apocalypse

It seems from the update that there will be no euro-wide ban, but individual euro countries will continue to impose whatever restrictions they see fit.
    So no change to the situation here; the new restrictions will only apply to DIY use and people who don't get the new licence. Licenced farmers and co. councils can spray as much as they like, on whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

Is it now time to stock up...

I don't think I could handle the stone picking after the plough.... ever

Advertisement