Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sell house yourself?

Options
  • 09-06-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Any advice on the best places to sell my house? It is a 3 bed terrace but it has been completely renovated, rewired, insulated etc in last 2 years. Portlaoise town. I am not going to put a board up but wondered is it worth trying to sell it myself or do I spare myself some hassle and go with an EA? Are there any sites other than Daft, Done deal and Adverts worth advertising on? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

myhome.ie is another site for selling houses. However it will be easier to go with an EA as presumably they have a list of potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I think we should use sites like this for letting each other know we are buying or selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I think we should use sites like this for letting each other know we are buying or selling.

Adverts.ie is a more appropriate place than boards. Our charter permits a single advertising post but this is not a marketplace. Thanks :)

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Hi,
    I'm on opposite side. I want to buy a house.
    Are there any websites where I can put my advert that I want a buy a house direct from the owner? I've been in contact with few agencies, but that is just rip-off and they just stealing money from buyers, same as from the sellers, because sale takes ages.
    What is EA?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are no such sites with any traction at all and honestly they're a terrible idea as they just create a price ratcheting situation. There is no other item where buyers parade themselves to the seller

EA = estate agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Any advice on the best places to sell my house? It is a 3 bed terrace but it has been completely renovated, rewired, insulated etc in last 2 years. Portlaoise town. I am not going to put a board up but wondered is it worth trying to sell it myself or do I spare myself some hassle and go with an EA? Are there any sites other than Daft, Done deal and Adverts worth advertising on? Thanks

Here's my two cents.

Hopefully, a good estate agent will pay for himself by negotiating a higher price than a seller might otherwise. Estate agents are often prepared to go through people for a shortcut, in order to push up the price. They have the advantage of objectivity, over the vendors themselves. This can make them more realistic when it comes to price. It is very important to agree the EA's price/percentage beforehand.

However, if you want to sell the place yourself, make sure that the house is clean, well painted and decluttered and that there are no odours of dog or similar.

You may want to look into buying a 'burner' phone used for the sale transaction only, or another similar system so that disappointed bidders or weirdos don't have your number afterwards.

Also, there are books on selling property by yourself and it might be worth researching a good one on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

As a buyer I can tell you - if is freshly painted it's can mean that you want hide something under the paint - mold on the walls.

Advertisement