Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OLDVELOS Vintage International Classic, 13th September, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Options
  • 09-06-2015 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi all,

As many of you know us vintage cycling enthusiasts have organised a few vintage meets over the last number of years. This year is the 30th anniversary of the Nissan International Classic so we are trying out something on a bigger scale. Here's the blurb:

OLDVELOS invite you to the Oldvelos Vintage International Classic, September 13th Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland. Inspired by the 30th anniversary of the Nissan International Classic this is a vintage event and expo for cycling enthusiasts. Find out all about it and pre-register on our website http://www.oldvelos.com/international-classic/

And here's something to whet your appetite (and your memories!)

18459074948_1167ed1a73_z.jpg

Please share the event and Pre-register soon so you get a place!

Best wishes,

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

One of the Oldvelos crew has a very last minute spare ticket for l'Eroica Britannica. Event is on this weekend!

Also Oldvelos will be hosting a vintage exhibition as part of the Ring of Kerry this year - come and meet us at Killarney Tourist Board on the 3rd and 4th of July.

Cheers,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

Speaking of the Ring of Kerry and the Oldvelos expo, is there anybody traveling to Kerry on the 3rd of July from the midlands region that could accommodate 3 bikes that are required for the expo but for which transport is sadly lacking. If so can you let me know it would be much appreciated

18900617804_ba71415a9f_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Looks like a fantastic route, the road up past lough Brin being the standout; unfortunately I don't have a steel frame.

Wendell Borton and all,

You have two month to get a steel frame and bike for the event. We have made some suggestions for sources on www.oldvelos.com

While there you will also find write ups about L'Eroica Britannica from two of our "rides in residence"!

Cheers, Brendan

• Advertisement

We have been busily advertising the OLDVELOS Vintage International Classic at events and in bike shops lately. One question that keeps being asked is where and how to get a bike for the event.

9127955119_36c9235cc6_z.jpg

Here's our guide:

First rule is know what you want? Do you want what you had or is there a bike you always wanted?

Second rule is know what you want as bicycle dimensions have changed over the years. The key difference is the length of the seat tube. A small vintage bike would be 21.5” (54cm), medium 22.5” (57cm) and large 23.5” (59cm). Extra large 24” is 60cm plus.

Third rule, know your budget. Building a bike might be your goal, purchasing a bike might be more cost efficient.

Fourth, know where to look and ask. There’s a lot to be said for asking around and asking your local bike shop. Established shops may have stock or leads. Ebay.ie is obvious, but also ebay from other countries. A very good source can found by clicking here Steel Vintage .In Ireland websites such as adverts.ie, boards.ie, buy and sell, donedeal.ie and gumtree.ie not to mention local ads and posting wanted ads. Gumtree UK also brings you to bikes in Northern Ireland. Some shops are also stocking vintage bikes and retro gear. Oldvelos may also offer a rental or swap option.

Find out more on www.oldvelos.com or on our facebook page.

Best wishes,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I have a steel frame bike from 1992. It's a Raparee custom build. Columbus slx tubing, full dura ace group set...which was just out in 1992. Still get out on it on the weekends. A trusty steed indeed 😊It's 23 years old now and still a fine bike. .... my only bike !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

The facebook group "Vintage Bicycles Holland" always has a steady stream of stock up for sale.
    Brendan, Alec was looking for pictures of my KAS. Forgot to send what pictures I had to him. Not sure if it's too late to take some new snaps and send them on.

Secman and Taxman,

Happy to see snaps from you both. Can I assume also you'll both be in attendance in Kerry?

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

secman wrote: »
    I have a steel frame bike from 1992. It's a Raparee custom build. Columbus slx tubing, full dura ace group set...which was just out in 1992. Still get out on it on the weekends. A trusty steed indeed 😊It's 23 years old now and still a fine bike. .... my only bike !

God, Rapparee,
    I remember getting fitted for my Rapparee back in 1986, I think.
    I saved up for all the components and put the bike together myself, that was back in the days when bikes were much simpler and you didn't need a degree to figure out how to service your bike. I was knocked off it within a year and the bike was destroyed. I then got a Concorde frame and built a new bike, I still have it and while it's roadworthy it's not up to a sportive so that'll be my next project and hopefully next year i'll be ready for the oldvelos if it's on again,
    Oh yeah, I'll be able to wear my skil/sem/kas jersey from 1984 as well.

• Advertisement

Long Fellow,

Great bikes bring back great memories indeed. I heard a great story recently of how Hardings stayed up through the night to build a bike for a Rás Rider. You have a month and a half to put Concorde on the road. Go on, dare ya!

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jogger

Hi,
    I sent in a registration through the OldVelos website form, and also a query through the "Contact Us" form. I haven't had any response - should I be concerned?
    I'm not worried about my query as I'm now committed to entering, but just trying to check if registrations are getting through and roughly when I'll be contacted for payments etc.
    Thanks....Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that. Nothing to worry about (leave that to us!). We should be putting up a paypal account this week and really delighted you're committed to the event. Will double check around the 'contact us' piece.

So, what will you be riding?

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jogger

Brendan,

Thanks for the reply, the bike is a 1980 Peugeot PX-10. It's actually a CFX-10 frame that I rebuilt with period parts - mostly Shimano 600 Arabesque but some Simplex to keep the french theme.

Alan

20108281143_8a079c9ee2_z.jpg

Hi all,

Now that you've your registrations in for the Vintage International Classic (You don't? Well get to it!) it's time to think about your bikes because the Concours d'Elegance jury is being put in place and the prizes have been confirmed. Along with the fabulous OLDVELOS perpetual trophy will come, on a once-off basis, an original Nissan Classic Yellow Jersey courtesy of the Nissan International Classic race co-organiser Alan Ruston.

16918606555_24e42287c7_z.jpg

How to describe Concours d'Elegance? Well when I put it to my 8 year old son (who is very proud of his "gear bike Hurricane") he said, "I got it Dad - it's a shiny bike competition". Shiny or not the competition takes into account originality and history. So get to it folks our judges panel will look forward to seeing your bikes and to presenting the yellow jersey to the lucky winner in advance of roll-out on Sunday the 13th of September from Randles Bros Nissan Dealers in Killarney.

http://www.oldvelos.com/internation…/killarney-registration/

Best wishes,

Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

The OLDVELOS Vintage Expo in Randles Bros Nissan Dealers, Muckross Road, Killarney on Saturday the 12th of Sep...tember will feature the RÁS winning bikes of Gene Mangan (1955) and Stephen Roche (1979). Sean Kelly aficionados will be in for a treat with a famous KAS branded Vitus.

Come and see a range of memorabilia from the Nissan International Classic as well as other historical and classic racing bikes from the 1930's onward. We look forward to seeing you there or come and see the bikes being ridden at the OLDVELOS Vintage International Classic on Sunday, 13th September. Find out more at www.oldvelos.com.

Thanks Brendan

No pressure so Brendan.;)
    See you later.

Well I was up till 1.30 am with the silvo and polishing rag! Safe journey Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 18 whodaman2

Well done Brendan and co for a fantastic day(pity about the weather).
    I noticed a few photographers along the route. I wonder if there are any pictures available of us poor souls suffering on the climbs?

• Advertisement

whodaman2 wrote: »
    Well done Brendan and co for a fantastic day(pity about the weather).
    I noticed a few photographers along the route. I wonder if there are any pictures available of us poor souls suffering on the climbs?

Search for Brendan Slattery (Killarney)on Facebook. He has plenty of great shots.

Advertisement