Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit for kayaking - with or without arms?

Options
  • 09-06-2015 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Bare arms a better plan for more freedom of movement and just cover up with anorak or similar from the cold?

Secondly, Im wondering (and can't seem to find anywhere up to date offering), where I can go on a beginners course to kayaking? Is there anything in West Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

mumof2 wrote: »
    Bare arms a better plan for more freedom of movement and just cover up with anorak or similar from the cold?

Secondly, Im wondering (and can't seem to find anywhere up to date offering), where I can go on a beginners course to kayaking? Is there anything in West Cork?

Did you try canoeing Ireland website.

It really depends on what you plan on doin.
    If you are goin to commit to a course
    They may supply gear and then if you do like it you could invest in a dry suit.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

If you are planning on doing just a bit of paddling, including getting wet in the surf or on a river; plus kayaking in the winter; I would go for a warm long-sleeve wetsuit.

If you are planning on being out just on warm summer days, or on doing day-long/multiple day trips I would go for no sleeves on the wetsuit and a decent cag, like 'Nookie' says above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

nookie wrote: »
    Drysuit is a ridiculous purchase for someone starting out. 3mm long john, a cag or similar splash proof top and a few thermals are all you need.

You missed the bit where I said if they like it they could invest in a drysuit.
    There are many second hand dry suits on the market in good condition for a small few euro.

I'm not telling someone to go buy a dry suit before they even sit in a boat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

monflat wrote: »
    You missed the bit where I said if they like it they could invest in a drysuit.
    There are many second hand dry suits on the market in good condition for a small few euro.

I'm not telling someone to go buy a dry suit before they even sit in a boat

3mm sleevless is perfect, you can also buy just the bottoms.
    In the summer all you need is a thermal base layer and a water proof / wind breaker jacket top. Anything more and you'll start to feel mighty warm!

Keep an eye on the Lidl and Aldi deals, they should be doing some surf gear about now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I've gone a purchased a full LS 3mm suit purely so I can use it in the winter too. Sleeveless won't be much good to me in November I think ;-)

Thanks everyone for the tips.
    If you are planning on doing just a bit of paddling, including getting wet in the surf or on a river; plus kayaking in the winter; I would go for a warm long-sleeve wetsuit.

If you are planning on being out just on warm summer days, or on doing day-long/multiple day trips I would go for no sleeves on the wetsuit and a decent cag, like 'Nookie' says above.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I went out on my first paddle last Sunday at Sandycove. Had on a thermal t-shirt, cag and shorts. Was perfect.
    It was calm and warm though.

garlad wrote: »
    I went out on my first paddle last Sunday at Sandycove. Had on a thermal t-shirt, cag and shorts. Was perfect.
    It was calm and warm though.

Yeah, Im on the water in just shorts and t-shirt (bring a jacket in case of cold), but prefer to get a tan:D Wetsuit will be for the winter months :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Wetsuit will be for the winter months :-)
    Itll be fine as long as you dont fall in, which will happen. The water will be ice cold and i wouldnt recommend a wetsuit for the winter months. Winter requires thermals. Use this time of year to practice reentries onto your sot also.

tonydude wrote: »
    Itll be fine as long as you dont fall in, which will happen. The water will be ice cold and i wouldnt recommend a wetsuit for the winter months. Winter requires thermals. Use this time of year to practice reentries onto your sot also.

And thats the reason why I won't buy a sit in Kayak!! I have a fear of going underwater, unless Im in control, which is why I got the sit on - Im not stuck in the kayak then if I capsize. I am about to start a practice session of re-entering my SOT - just waiting for a calmer day to start with. And wetsuit will be on then I thinks!!! If I can save a bit of money, I had hoped to participate in one of the courses that are run - self rescue etc. Would be handy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

And thats the reason why I won't buy a sit in Kayak!! I have a fear of going underwater, unless Im in control, which is why I got the sit on - Im not stuck in the kayak then if I capsize. I am about to start a practice session of re-entering my SOT - just waiting for a calmer day to start with. And wetsuit will be on then I thinks!!! If I can save a bit of money, I had hoped to participate in one of the courses that are run - self rescue etc. Would be handy. :D
    Don't think you grasped my point, kayaking is an awesome hobby/sport but has its own dangers as you are dealing with water and to enjoy it fully in the winter months you will need a drysuit... A wetsuit will not cut it if your sot gets away from you. You are risking hypothermia Let's say you get back into your yak, you are now wet head to toe, the wind chill will be your next problem..... I don't want to scare you from this sport but too many accidents have happened of late and its all down to foolish mistakes the kayaker could have avoided, this applies to both sot and sit ins.

tonydude wrote: »
    Don't think you grasped my point, kayaking is an awesome hobby/sport but has its own dangers as you are dealing with water and to enjoy it fully in the winter months you will need a drysuit... A wetsuit will not cut it if your sot gets away from you. You are risking hypothermia Let's say you get back into your yak, you are now wet head to toe, the wind chill will be your next problem..... I don't want to scare you from this sport but too many accidents have happened of late and its all down to foolish mistakes the kayaker could have avoided, this applies to both sot and sit ins.

Thank you for pointing out the dangers. I am the daughter of a skipper/fisherman/ (and he was in the navy). I would hope I take after his sensible ways when he is out on the water too. I take note of wind and tides, do not go out if I feel I can't manage the water. I go by myself, therefore all the more reason to be extra cautious. I am not some idiot who goes and blindly paddles for fun, risking my own life and those of the coastal rescue should they be required to save my stupid a@s.
    I am fully aware that a 3mm wetsuit is not going to do me when I fall into the water. I intend to equip myself fully, and update myself with knowledge, and go with groups come the winter months.
    Once again thanks for the concern.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Thank you for pointing out the dangers. I am the daughter of a skipper/fisherman/ (and he was in the navy). I would hope I take after his sensible ways when he is out on the water too. I take note of wind and tides, do not go out if I feel I can't manage the water. I go by myself, therefore all the more reason to be extra cautious. I am not some idiot who goes and blindly paddles for fun, risking my own life and those of the coastal rescue should they be required to save my stupid a@s.
    I am fully aware that a 3mm wetsuit is not going to do me when I fall into the water. I intend to equip myself fully, and update myself with knowledge, and go with groups come the winter months.
    Once again thanks for the concern.;)

actually a wetsuit will only work for you in the water. While a 3mm won't do in the winter neither will a 5 mm on it's own for kayaking. As tony said the wind chill will be a huge factor and you need some form of Cag/Dry top/Drysuit to be warm and comfortable.

Keep an eye on the canoes and kayaks for sale ireland FB group some good deals in gear come up there and some of the shops have good clearance sales. Great outdoors regularily have 20% off plam gear and i-canoe have some great deals on previous seasons gear.

Good luck and enjoy the waters :o:o

Advertisement