Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a B.A. degree, no PME and confused about the future

• 09-06-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, i have recently just finished a B.A. degree in Irish and Geography, i unfortunately failed to receive a place in the PME for 2015/16, i have always wanted to become a teacher, and i am currently in limbo, as i dont know what to do this year to insure i will get it next year. I was wondering would becoming an SNA be advisable, and how would i become one?, i was also wondering would it be possible to teach abroad at primary school level with my current qualification?
    I would really appreciate any advise anyone can give me!! Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daisychain27

Hi Didley, I too was unsuccessful with my application to this course. I have a B.A degree in English and Music and I feel the exact same way about getting into teaching. Have you thought about or applied for Hibernia? At least then you will still get to do the course and become a teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bookseller2015

I was the same as you both, failing to get the Post-Grad at that time, 1 1/2 yrs ago, but I applied for Hibernia and got it luckily so I'm all delighted, currently doing the Higher-Diploma in Prim. Ed (I'm the last intake of HDIP, now it's PME as you said!) Any issues, fire away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Didley wrote: »
    Hi, i have recently just finished a B.A. degree in Irish and Geography, i unfortunately failed to receive a place in the PME for 2015/16, i have always wanted to become a teacher, and i am currently in limbo, as i dont know what to do this year to insure i will get it next year. I was wondering would becoming an SNA be advisable, and how would i become one?, i was also wondering would it be possible to teach abroad at primary school level with my current qualification?
    I would really appreciate any advise anyone can give me!! Thanks in advance!!

If I were in your position, I'd be inclined to focus on improving my Irish. I know somebody who was in a similar position and she subbed as an Irish teacher for foundation level classes in the year or so she was hanging around waiting to get on the Dip. She was also doing some Irish course at night which added to her points for acceptance on the Dip so by the time she got on the Dip she had both practical experience teaching Irish and a much higher standard. This was in 2010 and obviously somebody doing secondary school teaching so I'm not sure what the subbing situation in gaelscoileanna is for unregistered teachers these days.

Advertisement