Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House move location dilemma

Options
  • 09-06-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in so please move if its not!

Myself, my partner and our one year old are looking to buy a house. We can't agree on a location. We currently live (and both work) in Dublin 8. We have our eye on a two bed that is within our budget but will need work.

Our second option is to move to Tallaght, which is closer to family and will get us a bigger house etc. but we will then be commuting, and leaving an area we really love.

So I want to stay close to town, despite the fact that in 5 years or so we will have to move somewhere bigger as we want more children. My partner thinks we are better to make the move now rather than renovating a house that we will be leaving in a few years.

Am I being stupid? Head is saying move out, heart is saying stay!

We have been playing this back and forth for months now, and can't commit because we can't decide!

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi OP. As per the charter please use meaningful thread titles, have edited this one to make it more self explanatory. Thanks!

Mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

emz8 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in so please move if its not!

Myself, my partner and our one year old are looking to buy a house. We can't agree on a location. We currently live (and both work) in Dublin 8. We have our eye on a two bed that is within our budget but will need work.

Our second option is to move to Tallaght, which is closer to family and will get us a bigger house etc. but we will then be commuting, and leaving an area we really love.

So I want to stay close to town, despite the fact that in 5 years or so we will have to move somewhere bigger as we want more children. My partner thinks we are better to make the move now rather than renovating a house that we will be leaving in a few years.

Am I being stupid? Head is saying move out, heart is saying stay!

We have been playing this back and forth for months now, and can't commit because we can't decide!

Any advice?

Only advice I offer is not to underestimate how much stock you need to put in considerations around your kid(s) when making the decision. Go where you can give them the best of what they need (space, amenities, friends, schools, etc.). D24 to D8 isn't a hell of a commute, there is LUAS etc. What part of Tallaght are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

spockety wrote:
    Only advice I offer is not to underestimate how much stock you need to put in considerations around your kid(s) when making the decision. Go where you can give them the best of what they need (space, amenities, friends, schools, etc.). D24 to D8 isn't a hell of a commute, there is LUAS etc. What part of Tallaght are you thinking of?

As above. Also having family close is huge advantage for babysitting and other support

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

spockety wrote:

This. We live in kildare and work in tallaght. I have my little guy in school in tallaght and would give my eye teeth to move but we missed the boat on timing so we are stuck. He's only in infants so it's not terrible at the moment but I dread 2 years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

Yeh I guess I know Tallaght is the right option, but I've lived in Dublin 8 for 7 years now and it feels like home!
    If we were to move to Tallaght it would be as close to Old Bawn as we could get, can't afford Old Bawn, but Millbrook, Aylesbury, Maelruins. That general direction...

So no one thinks Dublin 8 then no? Damn, was hoping for someone to say something to help me justify it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I love D8 but prices are just too damn high (insert Samuel L Jackson meme). Ended up moving out to D5, happy out.

I'd say if the predictions are true D8 should start being affordable in 12-18 months. The issue is the houses can need quite a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your partner has the right frame of mind.

The house in D8 that is within your budget; consider that you may be spending tens of thousands on a place only to sell it off for maybe less than you bought it for. Or you could make money. But it'll still mean moving again. Also, although the plan is five years, babies have a habit of wrecking plans.

Or spend the same money building an extension/converting the attic/etc on a house in Tallaght.

Advertisement