Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert SEC correcting

Options
  • 09-06-2015 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am due to correct exams for Junior Cert for the month of July. I have a wedding on the 25th and I am worried as everyone is saying it's a 7 day a week commitment. Is it possible to take a day off and make up for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Yes it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes you can make up for it but you'll be almost finished by the 25th. It shouldn't be a problem if you get ahead earlier that week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

After the scheme has been fully set how many times do advisers usually make contact?I know it probably changes year to year but I have a few late evening/night events in the 2nd week of my marking and I am wondering if it is achievable? I am well able to work ahead and get up at crazy o'clock to keep up but I won't be answering calls after about 7. Last year I was expected to answer calls at 8am and got texts at 10pm requiring an immediate answer. I was in the shower (15mins max!) and had 2 further texts wondering why I didn't reply. As far as I know I will have a different adviser so maybe they aren't all as intense?

Otherwise I am considering pulling out. The actual marking wasn't stressful but being on call for 14+ hours a day was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You'll probably be finished by the 25th anyway. I mark one of the later subjects and that weekend is usually the one where you get your house in order (paperwork etc.) after the actual marking has finished. I also have a wedding on the 25th as it happens (I wonder if it's the same one) and fully expect it to have no impact on my marking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Phone call made. Not correcting. Couldn't cope with the idea of non-stop phone calls when I have a few things to do in the evening. Mad really but couldn't take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

vamos! wrote: »
    Phone call made. Not correcting. Couldn't cope with the idea of non-stop phone calls when I have a few things to do in the evening. Mad really but couldn't take the risk.

I remember getting the late phone calls too but it didn't put me off much if I was given out to! Don't forget they need you more than you need them. Just brush it off... ironically any time I needed clarification (after email or phone message) the return calls to me weren't as 'urgent'. So if I got given out to for not being 'on call' I'd ask did they read my email or listen to my phone message 2 days ago.. so I would be a little late in sending samples as I was awaiting clarification:pac::pac::pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Jeez my advising examiner was a dream by the sounds of things! Maybe that's why I've such a positive experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Jeez my advising examiner was a dream by the sounds of things! Maybe that's why I've such a positive experience!

Ya i suppose the advising examiner needs the stats in as soon as possible in case they need to make adjustments to the marking scheme... so the sooner they get them the sooner we can make the adjustments and finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

My advising examiners have been very way to deal with.

I've two weddings to go to this summer.
    I start end of June, wedding on Juky 4th and 18th and the sprioc lá is July 22nd.
    I usually get finished up 4-5 days in advance so I'd say it'll be fine.

I'll put in a few 13-14 hour days and it'll all be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RiseNshine

Dgal123 wrote: »
    I am due to correct exams for Junior Cert for the month of July. I have a wedding on the 25th and I am worried as everyone is saying it's a 7 day a week commitment. Is it possible to take a day off and make up for it?

Reply: I wish I had done research before signing up as an examiner for the SEC in Ireland. Please take my advice and don’t do it!!! Being an examiner is dreadful. The timelines are unrealsistic and very hard to work within. You will be correcting around the clock ( even through the night) - typically you will be given 400 papers to correct. You are invited to Cornamady in Athlone to attend a “conference” and you are bombarded with infirmation. It’s all very stressful!! The Advisory Examiner will be on your back ( hounding you with phonecalks etc checking on your progress and woe betide if you are not on schedule ( be warned!!!) - The R-20, your first 20 samples are scrutinized and if your marking is out you will have to remark them again adhering FYI amendments made by your examiner. You start to go daft after your first 100 and when you see the other 300 papers in piles you will regret it!!! Easier and less stressful ways to make money....you’ll be lucky if you clear €1200 after a very difficult around the clock 4 weeks of work

• Advertisement

vamos! wrote: »
    After the scheme has been fully set how many times do advisers usually make contact?I know it probably changes year to year but I have a few late evening/night events in the 2nd week of my marking and I am wondering if it is achievable? I am well able to work ahead and get up at crazy o'clock to keep up but I won't be answering calls after about 7. Last year I was expected to answer calls at 8am and got texts at 10pm requiring an immediate answer. I was in the shower (15mins max!) and had 2 further texts wondering why I didn't reply. As far as I know I will have a different adviser so maybe they aren't all as intense?

Otherwise I am considering pulling out. The actual marking wasn't stressful but being on call for 14+ hours a day was a killer.

Reply: Ditto! Exact same thing happened to me...Was hounded by my examiner looking for numbers and breakdown of grades / categories up to 10 pm at night. The examiner was an ass***e.....wouldn’t wish this job marking papers on my worst enemy!!!!

I remember getting the late phone calls too but it didn't put me off much if I was given out to! Don't forget they need you more than you need them. Just brush it off... ironically any time I needed clarification (after email or phone message) the return calls to me weren't as 'urgent'. So if I got given out to for not being 'on call' I'd ask did they read my email or listen to my phone message 2 days ago.. so I would be a little late in sending samples as I was awaiting clarification:pac::pac::pac:.

Most people I saw in Athlone at Conference for Markers were young 21/22 yr old girls all giddy thinking they were great as markers fur state exams - I wouldn’t wish this job on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

RiseNshine wrote: »
    Most people I saw in Athlone at Conference for Markers were young 21/22 yr old girls all giddy thinking they were great as markers fur state exams - I wouldn’t wish this job on anyone

Probably students. At least the taxman can't do as much damage to their pay for correcting as he would to that of a full time teacher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

RiseNshine, PLEASE stop bumping old threads.
    We get it, you don't think examining is worth the money.

I have no issue with young examiners. We were all young once. They will soon learn whether they think it is worth it financially or not. It may well be if they are on low or no hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement