Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

annapr wrote: »
    If you're still talking to each other after your first running date, you're doing well :p

Love your description of Central Park, great place to run. If you get a chance check out the highline too... Not very long (2-3k maybe) but early morning looking out over the Hudson is hard to beat.

Hah, maybe it was the birthday that made the run palatable :) I'll try to get down to The Highline, though it doesn't open too early... we'll see if it works out.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    So just like the jacko except for the running paths, drinking fountains trail views and glorious sunshine. Enjoy your week.

The Jacko has its own merits :) (mostly memories)
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    That's how I started running B got to the stage of if you can't beat em join em! Central Park amazing to run in my observation was that everyone seemed to be running the other way ! I must have missed the memo !!

After the parkrun my wife did state very clearly that she didn't want to follow me down the path of obsessing about running and chasing times, that she was very happy jogging to stay fit and social. :rolleyes::confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Singer wrote: »
    Hah, maybe it was the birthday that made the run palatable :) I'll try to get down to The Highline, though it doesn't open too early... we'll see if it works out.

The Jacko has its own merits :) (mostly memories)

After the parkrun my wife did state very clearly that she didn't want to follow me down the path of obsessing about running and chasing times, that she was very happy jogging to stay fit and social. :rolleyes::confused:;)

Have you seen the title of my log ?????

A pretty good week as I got in record milage, though as ever probably not enough quality running, especially with the Fingal 10k rapidly approaching that is supposedly a target race :rolleyes:

It took a few days to adapt to the New York weather, and by the time I did I was heading home. Also I discovered that getting doubles in is pretty easy when you've no commute and family around :) My feet got a bit battered, my runners never dried out despite trying a few strategies (leaving beside an open window, beside the aircon, putting paper in) - they were getting utterly soaked in the heat, and resulted in a few blisters.

Before today's LSR I picked up a new pair of runners in The Runhub and decided to break them in immediately - I got a pair of Hoka OneOne Clifton 2's, they feel light and bouncy. I still consider myself very much a runner newb so haven't settled on any brand yet, and I read a few good reviews of these. They've been fine so far!

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    27th June|11.7 miles|8'36|Early morning miles around Central Park. A lot easier than the evening before though still pretty humid. Serious numbers of runners out and about.
    27th June|3.2 miles|9'25|30 minutes on the hotel dreadmill before heading out. Was glad not to be in the heat.
    28th June|10.5 miles|8'04|A faster early morning run around Central Park...
    29th June|5.6 miles|9'03|The conference I was at had organised an early morning group run, so obviously I went along :) It was some pretty comfortable miles around Central Park and then a bit down Broadway. I was chatting to an English lady who was struggling a little bit (but kept up with the group, fair play to her), and was pretty aggrieved when there was no water supplied at the end.
    29th June|6.1 miles|Around 9'20 or so|Went off at lunch to The Highline, which is pretty bad to run on during the middle of the day as it's pretty busy. Wonderful park though. I then split off to Shakeshack in Madison Square Park and had one of the best burgers I've ever eaten, and then up 5th Avenue back to the hotel. Kind of frustrating run with stopping and starting all the time, and it was in the middle of the day - however worth it for the grub.
    30th June|12.8 miles|8'00|Last two laps of Central Park.
    2nd July|6.5 miles|8'59|Headed over to "The Jacko" and did 11 x 30 second hill sprints. Felt fine at the end, this session used to destroy me. Must try harder...
    3rd July|18.5 miles|7'50|Ashtown to The Phoenix Park to Ashtown, down the canal, up to Ballymun and back to Swords. I lost many battles to slow down the pace. Did 3 miles at MP (well, a little faster) on the canal. Got tired at around 17.5 miles but otherwise felt great.

Total: 75 miles :eek::cool:

June total: 226 miles

Next week: Run less than 75 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That hill sprint session is impressive . That's a hill and a half you are doing those on .

A dramatic enough week - kept the milage up, fell twice, met an A&R legend (Ososlo), did a decent parkrun, one leg of a Junior Parkrun and finally my first 20 miler since last year.

So the parkruns... I jogged down to the Malahide parkrun, however I had wolfed down a big breakfast at around 8.30 then headed out at 9. It hadn't really settled and I had to pause a few times on the way as it was getting uncomfortable. It felt a bit better by the time I got to the park. I met an old work colllegue, had a chat and then we made our way to pretty much the front. One the timed run started, I very quickly found myself with just a couple of kids in front of me. As expected they stopped sprinting after about 200 meters, and for the next 500 metres I was in the lead! WTF! I glanced at my watch and saw that I was going wayyyyyyyy too fast (3:40/km). I started to eventually slow down, and it wasn't long before I was finally caught by 3 other runners. We stayed as a pack for most of the next km, when I started to feel a bit gross from the stomach and probably from going out too hard. I lost a few more places but kept going - not fully all out but a solid effort. By about the 3rd km I lost another place, but mostly kept up with the guy who overtook me. I didn't have the heart to push all the way to the end, but when we finished up I was pleasantly surprised at being only 8 seconds over my 5k PB. Finished in 8th, 19:40. Caught my breath and jogged back to Swords, my stomach started feeling grand just as I got home. Terrible, but fun, pacing strategy and probably the last time I'll ever lead a race/timed run :)

On Sunday morning myself and the wife brought the boys down to the Albert College junior parkrun. I saw kennyg there and waved hello. Expectations were low going into this, the 6 year old had done two in Rush and finished pretty close to last twice. The setup was nice there, the 2 year old made a beeline for the playground and I accompanied the racer for the first lap. We were overtaken by the first finisher just before the finishing chute, and the kid proceeded to follow him up it... I dragged him out, and my wife volunteered to take the second leg, and I made my way to the playground. The second lap was lot better, a negative split of at least a minute and a 3 minute PB! We hung around the playground for a bit and then made our way back to the car where I kicked off this week's LSR (I didn't count the 1k as part of the LSR).

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    4th July|11 miles|9'03|Longer commute home via Malahide. I tripped up in Artane, more not paying attention to bockity roads. I fell kind of hard on my left knee, but rolled onto my side and my bag actually took some of the impact. Could have been a lot worse.
    5th July|10.2 miles|8'08|Regular commute home, this time with 10 (or so) 30 second strides thrown in.
    6th July|10.2 miles|8'54|Another commute. I was feeling pretty crappy, and got even worse when I fell (AGAIN!!!), this time hard onto my right knee, and causing a fair scuff. I fell on Amiens St., I had hopped onto the side of the path to get around some pedestrians, lost my footing on the edge of the path and went down. For the rest of the run I could see people looking at my bleeding knee the whole way home :) The run got a lot better when I bumped into Ososlo beside Morton Stadium, and we had a good natter and short jog together.
    7th July|3 + 3.6 miles|8'35ish|Run commuting was out today as I was off to London for a conference... so I decided to throw my gear in the bag and run to the airport, then had a short run at lunchtime. It was a bit of a nuisance carrying around the gear for the day, I probably shouldn't have bothered.
    8th July|10 miles|8'49|Easy commute home. No drama!
    9th July|8.1 miles||Jog to and from Malahide parkrun, and the run itself.
    10th July|20 miles|8'15|First 20 miler of the season :) Planned pace was 8:15, set my Garmin into lap mode and tried to hit it each mile. It was actually a decent distraction. I started from outside the junior parkrun in Albert College, made my way down to O'Connell St., then up the quays to the DCM route, followed it until the turn onto the Lower Glen Road in the park, then went up Furze and back up Chesterfield, out of the park and down to Ashtown, the canal until the Swords Rd. and made up a couple of extra miles around DCU then finally stopping in Santry. All but two miles were in the 8'09-8'16 range, the 17th (8'27) was up the Ballymun Road and I couldn't maintain the pace, and the final mile was a bit poor (8'40), I was too tired and cranky to keep it up. Wasn't feeling too good until about mile 5 or so, then felt fine until mile 16 when things slowly got tougher.

Total: 76.3 miles

Next week: Give the Docklands 5k a good go on Thursday, so far less miles. Also the LSR next weekend will also be shorter as I start tapering for the Fingal 10k the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ouch and ouch, B! Your poor knees.

Sorry we missed your debut at Albert College parkrun.... We'll be there this Sunday if you're around.

Oh and well done on yet another sub-20 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was the Artane trouble spot just outside the McDonalds? Almost took a dive there a while back. Do what aquinn always says and report the hazard on the DCC website. Look after yourself and lift those feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Two falls, crikey mind yourself! Running on footpaths seems to be lethal in different ways to running on the road is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ouch B, I hope you are ok. Definitely report paths and location. Eh, you must owe parkrun a few volunteer mornings so on fry Saturdays maybe do that instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done this evening B, great time that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Holy heck that's some time! Well done. Aquinn and I were 'in charge' at the Spencer Hotel on the north quays. Didn't spot you at all (too busy trying to stop y'all being mowed down by rogue cyclists :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Yep, those sub-20's are so last week! Well done, B, great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wow yeah, go you :cool: :cool: Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one, B. Fair play. Thanks for the shout out too. ;)

(Kind of drunk) Race report!!!

For the second year running, I showed up to the Docklands 5k put on by The Cru. I followed an obvious 5k PB plan - a parkrun PB of 19:40 on Saturday, a decent 20 mile run on Sunday, and marginal running until race day. This run was definitely not "the main thing" - but was a good warmup to the Fingal 10k next week. My arbitrary target was 19:15, a decent PB and VDOT reckoned it was equivalent to a 39:59 10k, which is one of the round numbers for this summer.

After a warmup of a km with some strides, I lined up in the sub-20 area, which was wonderfully patrolled by Cru members, ensuring that the folks near the front were in the right places. I was feeling a little nauseous, tired and nervous, which has been pretty standard before races recently. After a bit we were underway, and for the first time basically ever I didn't have anybody to go around or barge through in the first few hundred metres. As the race went on I slowly made my way up the field, but keeping an eye on my watch. My target was to not let it go above 3:50. The pace was a bit wonky at the start, but I was glad to pass the first km at around 3:40 or so, and this still felt pretty comfortable for now. Cruising down the northside, I waved hello to murph_d and another cru head, and tucked into a group down towards The Point. Things got a bit tougher after the turnaround, and I tried a few times to tuck in behind other runners with minimal success. A few times my watch showed that the time had slowed to 3:55, and I used that to pick up the pace. The worst part of 5k races is the desolate times between 3-4k, however I kept things going without ruining myself. As we went across the bridge back to the southside I passed somebody out and was feeling like I was putting in a good shift. With 1km to go my breath started to get very heavy, there was spit and coughing all over the place, however I was able to keep things going, and passing the 4k mark with 15 minutes or so on the watch was a good boost. I tried to speed up and went into as much debt as I could, making all sorts of terrible animalistic sounds, and eventually got to the finish line where I gave a very unreserved response to finally finishing.

Not long afterwards, I made my way up through the race and cheered on some finishers, had a chat with an old friend from Swords, and met yaboya and had a brief chat while totally missing my wife, who ran her first ever sub-30 5k :)

Time: 18:45 (5'58, 6:15, 6'09, ... ).

Utterly delighted with the time. 30 seconds better than targeted, which is great though this kind of streak obviously won't last :) I was very happy with keeping the pace relatively consistent throughout. Most importantly it's a good sign that sub-40 might well be on at the Fingal 10k next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wow, that's fantastic, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Well done B. Great run & report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Superb race, B! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done B, great running and congrats to your wife too on her sub 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Wow B that's some pb well done great race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done! :) Great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done B, great racing and confidence must be trough the roof now
    great PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Wow!! 30 seconds better than your target time?!!! Brilliant, massive congrats and the very best of luck in Fingal :)

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done this evening B, great time that.

Cheers! I think you knew my time before I did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Singer wrote: »
    Cheers! I think you knew my time before I did :)

Yeah sorry about that, will have to stop this stalking lark when I know Boardsies are running!!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Holy heck that's some time! Well done. Aquinn and I were 'in charge' at the Spencer Hotel on the north quays. Didn't spot you at all (too busy trying to stop y'all being mowed down by rogue cyclists :rolleyes:).

I saw aquinn but not yourself - I had drifted over to the far side heading down the quays so didn't give a shout, and by the time I went past the second time I was starting to suffer so couldn't give more than an attempted eye contact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great Running , the best of luck in fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Great work, excellent progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Savage time, your progress over the last year or so is very impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

tailgunner wrote: »
    Savage time, your progress over the last year or so is very impressive!

+1. One to watch!

Advertisement