Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic! You're really making great progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Murph_D wrote: »
    Was the Artane trouble spot just outside the McDonalds? Almost took a dive there a while back. Do what aquinn always says and report the hazard on the DCC website. Look after yourself and lift those feet!
    aquinn wrote: »
    Ouch B, I hope you are ok. Definitely report paths and location. Eh, you must owe parkrun a few volunteer mornings so on fry Saturdays maybe do that instead :)

I reported it! It was on the Malahide Road, just before the TSB. Apparently an inspector is going to take a look. Will volunteer for parkrun soon too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Singer wrote: »
    I reported it! It was on the Malahide Road, just before the TSB. Apparently an inspector is going to take a look. Will volunteer for parkrun soon too :)

Sundays will work too... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done B. Congrats on a fabulous PB.
    You have been running high mileage weeks for a while and it was bound to pay off with a PB, but that is a brilliant time.I would be interested to see how fast you could run if you added some 5k specific speed work to your training.
    I was quite surprised to read that you were only "kind of drunk" writing your race report a PB like that deserves more :D

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done B. Congrats on a fabulous PB.
    You have been running high mileage weeks for a while and it was bound to pay off with a PB, but that is a brilliant time.I would be interested to see how fast you could run if you added some 5k specific speed work to your training.
    I was quite surprised to read that you were only "kind of drunk" writing your race report a PB like that deserves more :D

Thanks! Hah, the old "imagine what you could do if you trained properly" compliment, I was wondering when I'd get that :)

I definitely find it easier to get in the higher milage with commutes then to get out and do proper session style running, at least during the week. Yes, 10 mile runs home are the lazy option for me :)

• Advertisement

Ah, the highlight of my week - my post-Sunday-LSR log updating ritual :)

Obviously the real highlight this week was Thursday's 5k. I've been reminding myself that the 5k was just the warmup, with next week's 10k being the main course. Not that I'll do any better, just that I've got an achievable actual round-number target that I'd really like to get (and it's my home race, and it was the first race I've ever done, and my family will be there, etc. etc.). Now all I have to do is run 14.5 seconds slower per kilometre over a busier and hillier course, for twice the distance :eek::eek::eek:

Some non-kinda drunk thoughts of the 5k... I had a pretty positive mindset going into the tougher parts of the race. I was reminding myself that I've been running a lot, improving my endurance, and this is the part where endurance counts. Not sure if it's scientifically accurate, but I think it helped at the time :) Looking at the Strava Flyby, and from what I remember of the race, I think I did slowly and consistently move up the field, until the end where my kick was very limited compared to those around me. I did speed up a gear, but a few people around me stepped up 3. Maybe they just ran a bad race ;)

Not too much else of interest during the week, ran a slightly longer than required long run to make up the magical 50 miles that I'm sure you're all super impressed with, otherwise why do I do it? :confused: I have been feeling a bit tired and lethargic when not running, nodding off after meals and whatnot - I remember this happening a bit when I stepped up the milage last summer.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    11th July|5.5 miles|9'25|Recover miles after the previous day's 20 mile LSR. Went around the three Swords parks of Balheary, the Castle park and The Valley, nice summer running.
    13th July|6 miles|8'37|Easy, with some 30 second strides thrown in. Maybe 10, wasn't really counting.
    14th July|1k warmup & 5k race|:cool:|As per race report
    15th July|10.2 miles|9'04|Warm and sticky and a little bit hungover run commute.
    16th July|7.7 miles|7'47|Up to Malahide Castle and back to Swords via the estuary.
    17th July|16.8 miles|8'06|A pretty comfortable LSR, felt good. Meandered around Swords and Portmarnock via Kinsealy, then back along the coast through Malahide.

Total: 50 miles

Next week: More tapering for the Fingal 10k on Sunday. This week will consist of monk-esque living, with plenty of rest and no drinking (not "The Monk"-esque living, and not the type of monks that make booze).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Finally catching up here! Congrats on the PB, you really are flying it. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress. I actually saw you before the race near the bag drop area but wasn't sure if you'd recognise me so didn't want to idle up with internet name introductions :) Mind those dodgy pavements, although there's work going on now on the Malahide Road footpath - your doing I wonder???? :) Best of luck this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Singer wrote: »
    Total: 50 miles

Consider me super impressed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow B, hope the target time goes well for you, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck tomorrow, have a good one.

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow B, I hope it all goes well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck B, see you there hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Have a great run tomorrow hope all goes to plan for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Best of luck today B. Its your home turf. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done B! Arms outstretched over the finish-line, that's how it's done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1. Great time, fantastic progress you've made. Congrats.

Well done B, thats a fantastic time.

Brilliant time today, B, hometown triumph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sounds like you rocked it!! You are on fire lately, very well deserved. Delighted to see you do this on home turf. Enjoy every moment.

And please tell us you are too busy having something to eat before hitting the pb beers and race report??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Well done B, impressive time - looking forward to the race report! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sounds like it went well. Looking forward to the report !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff B, delighted for you. Enjoy the PB beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Smashing run B. There is something in the "runmutes" so :D. Well deserved and reflects the hard miles run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great stuff, well done on getting that sub 40 on your home turf!

Wooohoooo!! PB, check, beers, check... I think almost everybody here knows that I did the Fingal 10k in sub-40 at this stage, so I guess I'd better get my race report out of the way. I basically had three goals going into this year - sub-20 5k (done), sub-40 10k and sub-3:15ish marathon, and this was the last time I planned to run a 10k until after DCM. It was also my local race, so no pressure here at all :)

The start.
    I did a short enough warmup around the back streets of Swords. I was a little worried that the race series commentator wasn't around, but by the time I was jogging down Main Street he was making terrible jokes about a butchers dog and being on the northside, which gave me a good laugh. I was expecting a congested enough start, and positioned myself mostly towards the front, somewhere comfortable enough being surrounded by club runners, maybe 20 people back from the start or so. After a quick round of applause for The Claw, we got underway. Things weren't too bad at the start, I did a mild bit of ducking and diving, but generally kept things under control and didn't expend too much energy here. I passed the 1km marker just after the roundabout at 4:00 exactly.

The bypass.
    I knew that here was where I had to make some hay, but not kill myself. I generally kept pace with a bunch of club runners around me, but made my way up slowl through the pack here. I wanted my watch to show 3:55 or so here, which it did. I passed the second km at 3:50, a bit hot but I was still feeling grand. The next 2KM were pretty much the same, slowly making my way up, until the slight climb to the turn off, where I was happy to drop the pace. Pretty happy to be on track for sub-20 for the first 5k, but not hurting.

The country roads.
    I grabbed some water at the first water stop and pointlessly held on to the cup beyond the drinks area... so I decided to hang on to the plastic cup until the next water stop - I was the only person doing this, I didn't want to chuck a cup into a ditch due to some local guilt. Somewhere around 3-4k a FSCKING BEE STUNG ME!!! I noticed a slight tickling on my right ankle, followed by an actual sting. I didn't take too much time to diagnose what was going on, I just kicked my ankle up and brushed away the insect off my skin before it could do any more damage. Everything was fine for another 100 metres or so up until the sting started to hurt a bit (maybe the sweat started to seep in?), when I had to do another acrobatic brushing off of whatever was left on my ankle. This did kind of freak me out for a bit - I can't remember the last time I got stung by a bee, and I started to think about how my body might be reacting... I ended up just using it as an excuse to run a little faster, once I had stopped prancing around I overtook a few other folks.

The rest of the country roads.
    Nothing too dramatic here. Keeping an eye on pace, and not letting it drop below 4:00. I ended up running beside a few club runners and worked together for a bit. I knew the second half of the course was leading into a few downhill kms, so the plan here was to bank a small amount of seconds, but nothing too severe.

Back into Swords.
    Things started to get tough around the 7.5km mark. Effort levels went way up, breathing went to sh!t, but somehow I maintained the pace. I kept reminding myself that I had trained for endurance, and this was where the training would pay out. I kept pace up unto North Street, and when faced with the hill I did deliberately slowdown - however it was grand. It was obviously difficult where it was, but I stuck it out, and when I crested the top it was amazing - hearing the race commentator gave me a second wind, and it was a nice downhill with my family shouting for me, so I had no excuses other than to finish kind of strong. Seeing sub-40 on the finish line was amazing, and I threw my arms up in the air as I crossed the line (as nop98 saw :) ). I staggered over to a barrier to catch my breath, and made my way to the park to pick up a t-shirt etc.

Splits: 4:00, 3:50, 3:55, 3:51, 4:01, 3:57, 3:55, 4:02, 4:02, 3:50
    Chip Time: 39:23

Afterwards
    A splendid boards meetup (I chatted to The Muppet, spaceylou, annapr, d_murph, laura_ac3, nop98 and son, and maybe others) and my wife did her first sub-60 10k :) - the post-race setup in the park was fantastic, as ever the race series delivers.

Not quite as good a VDOT rating as the Docklands 5k, but the course was a bit more difficult. The plan for both races was to pace evenly, and this paid off - I put a lot of the success of both my PBs in the last 2 weeks down to even pacing/effort. Per the splits I did two sub-20 5ks in a row today, at the start of the year I couldn't even do one :cool::eek::D

Anyway, weekly milage.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    18th July|6 miles|8'59|A very warm recovery run around D4
    20th July|7 miles|7'46|Out to Malahide with some strides and 1 mile @ 10k pace
    21st July|4 miles|9'02|For the first time ever, I didn't look at my watch. Recovery miles.
    23rd July|4.9 miles|?|Jog to the first ever Swords parkrun, ran it as a tempo finishing 6th.
    24th July|7.1 miles|?|Warmup and 10k race.

Total: 29.2 miles

Next week: Lots of boring, slow miles.

Great stuff, B, can't believe you got stung on the way round (sorry for laughing). Your progress has been fantastic. Hope the legs (and the head ;)) are recovered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice one B, really well raced, great days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Savage time and race. Congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Super stuff altogether. You're like a bleedin' force of nature.

Advertisement