Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

congrats on PB well deserved, great report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Congratulations, a great result. Did the PB beers counteract the bee sting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Congratulations, a great result. Did the PB beers counteract the bee sting?

No, the opposite! I've had a crappy headache and general nausea all day, I'm pretty sure they're classic bee sting symptoms.

Thanks all for the well wishes and congratulations. I wonder how fast I could do a 10k if I trained for one :pac:

The race report took *ages* to write due the number of beers I had prior to and during the report writing :rolleyes: I forgot a few minor details, like squealing a high pitched yelp when running through the wall of water being sprayed on the way back into Swords, worrying that I had run too fast the day before at the parkrun (I got a little carried away overtaking people near the end) and a work friend winning a 100 euro voucher for a local gym as a spot prize and ended up giving the voucher to my wife, so it was both a profitable and PBtastic day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

PBtastic indeed. Well done! What a well judged race and great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Super stuff B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Singer wrote: »
    I wonder how fast I could do a 10k if I trained for one :pac:

+1 for this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Really well done. Congrats on the pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done Singer, some great progress going on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant :D well done B!

A decent snap of me finishing at the Fingal 10k is up on Flickr... I have no shame :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eventsandsports/28537838535/in/album-72157668594445753/

392923.jpg

Also I took a pic of the bee sting after the race - I guess it wasn't too bad. :o

392925.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Jaysis all you needed was long hair and a beard and you'd give the man himself a run for his money with those shoes!!! Nice picture B(finish line one).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Could have done with a bee sting myself.

Great pic b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Brilliant pic! The epitome of sheer joy and relief on your face! Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great pic ! The finish line one !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great pic B. A real sense of satisfaction shining through. Great moment.

This week had plenty of easy miles and not much else. It took me a few days to feel good after the race, and then in the middle of the week I picked up a not very bad cold, another excuse to keep running easy. Saturday started off with a hangover and then a family do all day, so I just squeezed in a few late miles, but then today I did the second of this year's 20 mile runs, which went really well, a lot better than three weeks ago - the pace was a bit quicker, but I never ran out of steam, felt good throughout and picked up the pace on the last two (admittedly mostly downhill) miles.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    25th July|10.2 miles|8'53|Slow back to Swords from work.
    26th July|9.1 miles|8'43|Out with work in the evening, so did a morning commute to work. Took a bit to warm up, the hike up to the airport from Swords always feels tough first thing. Went through 1500 miles for the year fittingly somewhere around Ososlo-ville.
    27th July|10 miles|8'26|Slightly different runmute from normal - the Aviva stadium to Swords. 2 day company offsite in the Aviva, it's a nice place for a large meeting.
    28th July|6.9 miles|8'39|Cold was kicking in and had to squeeze a run in, so I headed from the Aviva out to South Wall (not enough time to get to the end) and then back to the office.
    29th July|10.1 miles|8'21|Enjoyable run home, not really feeling the cold and not pushing myself.
    30th July|7.3 miles|8'29|Nice jog out to Malahide and back.
    31st Ju;y|20 miles|8'03|Enjoyable long run, one of the best 20 milers I've done. Went to the zoo and back with Second Captains and Marian Finucane keeping me company. Bumped into a work colleague in Phibsboro who's training for his first marathon and had a quick chat. Tried to keep the pace at under 8:15 per mile, but ended up doing better than that. The weather was warm at the start, but cooled down as the run went on and I got a little drenched coming up to the airport when the heavens briefly opened. I wore my water belt for the first time this year, filling one bottle with diluted Lucozade Sport, and the other with water. I took a Clif Expresso gel around mile 12 or so, which went down fine but made my tummy a little queasy.

Total: 73.9 miles
    July total: 255 miles (a record!)

Next week: Probably similar enough, with a boards.ie run on Saturday thrown in for fun :)

Not really feeling the love this week - kind of just going through the motions, not feeling particularly strong or bursting to get out the door. Tuesday's run home felt terrible, like running home through sludge. Things went a bit better for the rest of the week, getting in some MP miles and hill sprints, a decent enough long run and I even took a day off!

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    1st August|7.2 miles|8'51|An easy bank holiday lunchtime trot out to Malahide.
    2nd August|10.1 miles|8'32|The terrible run commute home. Even the HRM on my Garmin didn't even bother to work. It was pretty humid, and I ended up drinking well over 3 litres of water and milk in the evening.
    3rd August|5.2 miles|8'15|In Beaumont for tests in the morning, took the opportunity to run into work.
    3rd August|9 miles|8'23|A sneaky double! Ran home, felt massively easier compare to the day before.
    4th August|10.1 miles|7'50|Tried to do 2x3 miles@MP in a run commute, though I wasn't mad pushed about hitting the time in each mile split as it can be difficult crossing roads etc., but was able to comfortably hold 7'30 or so
    6th August|5.2 miles|9'12|10x30 second hill sprints down the valley. It was pretty warm, and I was pretty hungover, so these weren't as aggressive as they've been in the past. Decent enough workout though.
    7th August|22.2 miles|8'18 (maybe optimistic)|I was staying in Firedance-ville in Dunboyne Castle on Saturday night as part of a family celebration, and I reckoned there was an LSR in getting back to Swords. I checked out some of Firedance's run-mutes on Strava for some basic route planning, and decided to get down to the Royal Canal and follow that to Ashtown, where I'd split off into the Phoenix Park to catch the dregs of the Rock'n"Roll. After getting a little disorientated on the outskirts of Ongar, I finally made it down to the canal, which was nice to run along if a little more trail-ish than I was expecting. I'd never been on the canal bridge over the M50 before, which was pretty cool. Once in the park I found TFGR doing baggage duty and said hi, bumped into a neighbour who'd just finished ("never again") and made my way through the blinged-up hordes down Chesterfield. From there I went to the North Circular and back to Swords via Ballymun. I was running Garmin-less (I'd forgotten my charger in work), and I deliberately set my Nike app to not tell me pace or distance - the only thing I wanted out of this run was to be on my feet for over 3 hours. That worked out pretty well, though I think the app was optimistic about my pace, it felt more like 8'20s effort.

Total: 69.3 miles

Next week: Same again would be grand, might throw in some MP into the long run. Not gonna taper much for the Frank Duffy the following week.

7th August|22.2 miles|8'18 (maybe optimistic)|I was staying in Firedance-ville in Dunboyne Castle on Saturday night as part of a family celebration, and I reckoned there was an LSR in getting back to Swords. I checked out some of Firedance's run-mutes on Strava for some basic route planning,

:D - sorry I couldn't arrange a run with you B, sounds like you made the most of the day to make it into your long run. The canal is lovely and peaceful to run along too and glad to see you made it out of Ongar alive :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Any target for FD B?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Nice long run there, B! Thanks for stopping to say hello at the trucks!

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    :D - sorry I couldn't arrange a run with you B, sounds like you made the most of the day to make it into your long run. The canal is lovely and peaceful to run along too and glad to see you made it out of Ongar alive :p

It was quite lonely until Ashtown or so, I did a few waves at canoeists and said hi to people fishing, and that was about it! Still nice for a run, if a little overgrown at times.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Any target for FD B?

1:07:30 would be great. The new route looks hillier. I'll be racing it all out on the day anyway :)
    Nice long run there, B! Thanks for stopping to say hello at the trucks!

Nice to see you too!

A mixed week. Hit desired milage, but felt pretty tired during the middle of the week. Did a decent progression run during a run commute on Friday, but then ended up pretty much bonking during my long run.

I had set off with the intention to run 20 miles with 2x3 miles at MP. Paces were generally a bit faster than was necessary and then did the first set of MP miles (9-12) a bit quicker than target too. Immediately after the first MP set I took my first drink, some Lucozade Sport, and I was struggling a bit getting it down. I noticed my form had dropped a bit and I wasn't recovering quickly from the faster miles. A mile or so later I briefly stopped to get a proper drink, and then plodded on up to Portmarnock, a little slower. Once it came to the second set of MP miles I hit it for about half a mile, then faced a hill and ended up slowing to a walk to make it up. I decided then just to give up the MP miles and run at whatever pace I could home. I made it about another mile and then had to stop for a bit in Malahide Castle to drink water and take in some jelly beans. I jogged home feeling pretty gutted that I'd bonked and post-mortemed it about 20 times. I think I just ran too damn fast, probably hadn't fully recovered from the progression run 2 days prior which didn't help and getting some drinks into me earlier might have helped as well. Oh well :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    8th August|9 miles|9'08|Nice and easy run home.
    9th August|10.3 miles|7'58|Run home, was going to do strides but just kept it steady the whole way.
    10th August|10.1 miles|8'33|Standard run home.
    11th August|3.3 miles|8'51|Feeling tired, so just did some 30 minutes around St. Stephen's Green.
    12th August|10.2 miles|7'45|Did the prescribed session from Meno's plan this week during the run home - 20 easy, 20 steady, 20 MP, 10 HMP. Pretty much hit the paces.
    13th August|6.8 miles|8'32|The wife was up in Belfast with friends for the day, so went out at 7AM for some easy miles (despite beer and Olympics watching the night before).
    14th August|20 miles|8'11|Bonktacular 20 miler. Ran a bit randomly around Swords then followed most of the Fingal 10k route in reverse, then out to Portmarnock via Malahide and back again to Swords.

Total: 70 miles

Next week: Meno's session is 2x4 miles at MP, so I'll try and get that in on Weds, and then take it easy enough until Frank Duffy on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bonking on LRs is something I can identify with. Helps to eat well the day before and a good breakfast too.

How closely are you following the meno plan? Enjoying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Sorry you bonked but bonktacular is my new favourite word. Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He's human after all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That can happen B. Been there and done it, more than once, to say the least it's not nice. Keep the head up and learn the lessons for the next one. Good luck in the 10 Mile!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Bonking on LRs is something I'm an identify with. Helps to eat well the day before and a good breakfast too.

How closely are you following the meno plan? Enjoying it?

Not closely at all :) Despite being bookmarked in my toolbar and staring at me every day, I've ignored it entirely up 'til now. Last minute panic is kicking in though, so I'm gonna try to give the prescribed sessions a go. I was transcribing them over to a spreadsheet last night and messing around with some of the long runs, and I actually started sweating just thinking about all those fastish miles!

I ate well enough this morning, though maybe a bit lightly yesterday. Must eat more! It didn't feel like a hunger bonk, energy levels just couldn't keep up with my aspirational paces. Must aspire less!
    Sorry you bonked but bonktacular is my new favourite word. Just sayin'.

It was either bonktacular or bonkalicious :)
    He's human after all! :pac:

I actually just faked it to make you feel good about yourself, Mr. Good Long Run This Week :pac:

That can happen B. Been there and done it, more than once, to say the least it's not nice. Keep the head up and learn the lessons for the next one. Good luck in the 10 Mile!

Having bonked spectacularly in last year's HM and DCM it's a good reminder to avoid doing it while racing at all costs! Not feeling too bad about it now, it was a decent workout anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Any time I get that hungry bonky feeling on a long run I can usually chalk it down to poor hydration in the days prior to the run.

You're doing pretty heavy mileage in summer weather so make sure you're drinking when you're NOT running.

Not saying that's what's at play here but just in case....

• Advertisement

Not closely at all :) Despite being bookmarked in my toolbar and staring at me every day, I've ignored it entirely up 'til now. Last minute panic is kicking in though, so I'm gonna try to give the prescribed sessions a go. I was transcribing them over to a spreadsheet last night and messing around with some of the long runs, and I actually started sweating just thinking about all those fastish miles!

:eek::eek::eek: I'm not gonna say it*, you already know what you should be doing...... sorry to hear you had a bad run, it's actually probably no harm though if you learn from it, plenty of time to fix things :)

*of course I'm gonna say it :D follow the plan man!!!!

Advertisement