Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well done. Another PB in the bank!

By my calculations, if you keep PBing every race at this rate you'll be winning them outright in about 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Tough conditions out there today B sorry I didn't get to say hi I think everyone was just getting bags and getting out of there. Great report it's heartening to read that you struggled in the same places as me so at least I know it wasn't just me :)

Cheers - most people around me looked like they were struggling too, I don't think it was just the pair of us :)

aquinn wrote: »
    What, you missed us? Anna suggested most of the park heard me.

We were past the water station between 5 and 6. Poxy weather but I did get a fancy stewarding tshirt. Ah, it's the little things.

Ah - I didn't take water at that station, and had drifted over to the imaginary race line on the left hand side, so maybe that's why I didn't hear/see ye! Fair play for helping out (making the rest of us look bad :) )

tang1 wrote: »
    PB in those conditions is great going B, you are better than that just the day wouldn't let you show it like many others. Never seen you pull up beside me so apologies if I seemed ignorant.

Oh, I didn't pull up, I just saw you pull up and sauntered on past! I think you had more on your mind than being social anyway. Thanks for the kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

What, yet another PB!!! Well done and we didn't see you at all, you must have been going too fast :)

Re. The hills... You have some serious inclines in your run mute, complete with backpack... Would have thought that would stand to you...

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done B.
    The time you ran is probably better than your original target given the day that was in it. The HM will prove me right :)

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed the day! (Well, not enjoy... you know what I mean). If the HM can avoid having tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes I might do better alright :)

Ososlo wrote: »
    Brilliant running on a crappy crappy day. Well done on the pb. it's a decent improvement on the last one, and defo worth a lot more in better conditions. Presume you'll be doing the half. Can't wait to see what you'll pull outa the bag for that one!
    Rest up and recover well.

Thanks! 1:29:59 would be grand for the HM - round numbers appear to be good motivation this year :)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done, B. Great to come away with a PB in such horrendous conditions. What's on the beer menu tonight ?

Cheers! Only a small amount of PB-beer-ing on the cards tonight, I have to head down to Galway tomorrow morning for a family do, followed by a few days with the kids, and I don't want a hangover to kick things off! The dubgal self imposed beer exile starts next weekend, though tempting as it is I'm not gonna thrash myself every night until then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great run, Brian - nothing to complain about there! PB is a fantastic result, even for someone progressing as rapidly as you are! Well done.

The PB streak continues! Well done on a great race in undesirable conditions. Your wife did great too! You are really a pair to beat! It was great to see both of you before hand. Sorry I laughed at your umbrella :D it did come in handy!

Thank you! As ever it was great bumping into you. The umbrella was a bit of a joke, though maybe a bigger one would have flown away :)

My better half is delighted with her first ever 10 mile, and is semi-open to considering doing the half, depending on whether her running gang is gonna do it! It's addictive stuff this running :)

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done. That race will stand to you and a pb is always a bonus!

Thanks! Good training for Jingle Bells in December, or maybe a race in the Antarctic or something :)

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB B. That is a great time in very tough conditions.

Thanks J!

Well done. Another PB in the bank!

By my calculations, if you keep PBing every race at this rate you'll be winning them outright in about 7 years.

Thanks!

I think that's called "Plan Krusty" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Singer wrote: »
    Thanks! Good training for Jingle Bells in December, or maybe a race in the Antarctic or something :)

http://www.npmarathon.com/

Just sayin' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done B, that's a fantastic result in today's conditions. Nice to meet you beforehand - another face to a Boardsie name!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the PB especially in the conditions you were faced with. Maybe try get a few hills in before the half and therefore you can attach them and carry on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done B, that's a fantastic result in today's conditions. Nice to meet you beforehand - another face to a Boardsie name!

Cheers. I think you did well enough yourself, adjusting for the wind! Cya at the HM :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great run, Brian - nothing to complain about there! PB is a fantastic result, even for someone progressing as rapidly as you are! Well done.

Thanks D, it was good to see ya. Not sure how long the progression will continue!

annapr wrote: »
    What, yet another PB!!! Well done and we didn't see you at all, you must have been going too fast :)

Re. The hills... You have some serious inclines in your run mute, complete with backpack... Would have thought that would stand to you...

Thanks!

There's hills in a run commute... and there's hills at the business end of a 10 mile :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff B, well done on the pb in what sound like tough conditions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Just catching up here B, that's fantastic, delighted for you - onwards to a sub 1:30 half now!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done B, tough day out there, nice to hit PB.

2 rest days (one unplanned), 2 recovery days, one session, one regular run and one (poxy, but still a PB) race! I couldn't get out on Sunday due to travelling down to Connemara and various family activities, I feel bad for not dragging the milage above 50 :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    15th August|5 miles|9:51|Actual recovery around Swords.
    16th August|11 miles|8:23|Longer run commute into work via Feltrim, with 10x30 second strides. Felt a bit weak at the end, as I was running on empty. The breakfast tasted pretty good when I got into work!
    17th August|13.1 miles|7'54|This week's meno session, and it went well. 2x4 miles at marathon pace (7'24, 7'16, 7'21, 7'22 + 7'23, 7'21, 7'22, 7'20). I decided I wanted a long, not-too-hilly not-too-flat loop for these sessions, and ended up doing laps of Rivervalley, which fits perfectly pretty well - nice wide paths, not much traffic, mostly well lit.
    18th August|5.5 miles|9'48|Yet more recovery around Swords.
    20th August|10.9 miles|?|Warmup and Frank Duffy 10 miler

Total: 45.6 miles
    Next week: Recover and ramp things back up! I'm in sunny Athlone for a few days with the wife & kids (it's certainly a lot more pleasant than Connemara!), so will be trying to fit a few runs in, and hopefully the prescribed meno session. I might push it out to Thursday depending on how race recovery goes (also gives me more time to find somewhere good to do it!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Check out the GPS link for the Flatline Half in the Race GPS thread B, pancake flat and quiet country roads.

Or jump on the Athlone to Mullingar Greenway at Garrycastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Another race, another pb and another Super Well Done B. Would not have expected it on the day so that was a very decent run. Hills.... you must be a natural given your out of town runmutes. Congrats to Mrs S as well. Its only a couple of weeks ago when sub 30 5kms were a target if I am not mistaken.

The week started with no running - I drove down to Connemara on Sunday with family in tow for a family do, and wasn't too stressed about not doing some recovery miles after Saturday's race, there was enough stress ferrying the kids around etc. On Monday we lazily hung around the beach before heading to Athlone for 4 nights. I was tired from all the driving and keeping the kids under control (first time properly away with both kids!) so didn't bother again on Monday. That made 3 days with no running out of the previous 4! :eek:

Athlone town was 5 miles away from where we were staying, which made for a handy out and back for two of the days down there. I hit the greenway for the meno session on the Thursday, which went well, and did some recovery miles on the last day. The greenway is pretty flat, some invisible drags, and wasn't busy at all (I was running pretty early though).

On Saturday I was free to hit up the River Valley parkrun once again, so I decided to give it a reasonable bash. Looking at the finishing times I had a good chance of a podium finish, though it basically depends on what parkrun tourists show up on a given day :) sub-20 was the target, which would be challenging enough given the course has two steep downhills (complete with speedbumps!) and two very-steep inclines (the same hill where I do occasional hill sprints). Just before we started, some Iberian teenager who looked pretty fit asked me what the distance was. Once we got started I headed out wayyyy too fast, straight into one of the downhills. Once we got to the bottom I was overtaken by the Iberian lad and one other guy who started to easily pull away into first. I was content enough in third, though I was already suffering due to the fast start. After about half a mile the Iberian lad had pulled up on the ground beside the path, and was tying his laces... maybe he just was looking for an excuse to stop after starting too fast too :) The rest of the race was a slog. The lead bike and front runner were miles ahead of me, and a chasing pack behind me were about 30 seconds behind and staying there. I got some nice encouragement on the course from walkers and volunteers, and plodded along until the finish, pretty uncomfortably but keeping up a respectable pace. Finished in 20'08 and 2nd, my first ever podium :) I hung around for a bit chatting to some of the other early finishers, then headed off after 10 minutes to jog back home. I now have another sub-20 target anyway... Some of the Strava data was interesting afterwards, I think I hit a new HR peak (195) just after the second hill climb, and I did my fastest ever 1/2 mile and 400m in the opening km.

This afternoon was the long run. I decided to do the same session that broke me 2 weeks ago - 20 miles with 2x3 miles at MP. It broke me again, not quite as badly, but there was no way I could do the second batch and pulled the escape chord pretty early on into the first mile of them - I did 3 miles slightly faster but not really. The last 4 miles were grim, slowing down continuously, with a glorious 9'01 final mile.

There are a few options for falling apart - hangover from last week's race? Hangover from the parkrun? Insufficient training to be doing this type of quality long runs? It was kind of warm? Too aggressive pacing? Pace-wise I was trying to keep the non-MP pace around 8'10-8'15 (MP+45 seconds or so), and then 7'20 for the MP miles. I again struggled to recover after the first set of MP miles (HRM data agrees). Maybe I should slow down the non-MP miles and recover properly. The long-run prescribed in the meno plan this week has no MP miles, they start showing up in a couple of weeks. I was going to do the "10 easy, 10 steady" long run next week, not sure now though.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    23rd August|10 miles|8'20|Into Athlone centre and back. About 4 of the miles were on the side of the N61, but it wasn't too dangerous. Felt good to be back out.
    24th August|10.1 miles|8'07|The same again, but with 10 strides or so.
    25th August|12 miles|7'30|Meno's alternator - 2 miles w/u, 8 miles +- 20 seconds/mile, 2 miles c/d. Felt like I could easily do a 5th at the end. Alternator splits: 7'35,6'57,7'37,6'56,7'33,6'49,7'31,6'47
    26th August|5 miles|9'42|Final miles around Athlone, recovery.
    27th August|7.9 miles|?|Jog to River Valley parkrun, the parkrun, and a longer jog back.
    28th August|20 miles|8'10|LSR. Ran some random miles around Swords, then out to Malahide and Portmarnock and back. Attempted to do 2x3 miles @MP, but again failed. Finished pretty weakly. Not great.

Total: 65.1 miles
    Next week: Back up to 75 miles would be nice... Meno's session is a MLR with 4@HMP. Also, "no booze until the marathon" kicks in - the cans of Metalman in the Merrion Square area on October 30th will taste even better this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The FD last Saturday, session Thursday, all out hilly Parkrun Saturday then LSR with MP miles today. I know people think your a machine B but give the body a break, that's 4 heavy runs in 7 days don't care if you took a few days off after FD the body would still be fatigued from that. Take it easy on yourself, the week after a race should be easy easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The 10 easy, 10 steady is a good LR - the steady part is challenging enough to keep it interesting without killing you. Just what you need after this week and last. I'd give it a go. And keep it easy on the easy bit. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Stick to the plan B!!! Is the 10 easy 10 steady on the plan for this weekend or are you just throwing it in? Oh the memories, that was one of my favourite runs.... your easy pace should be 60-90seconds slower than MP or at least that's what I was advised and that's exactly the way it worked out for me running by HR, my easy runs were around 10.45 - 11.15 ish or so and my MP runs came in around 9.25-9.40 ish. Meno regularly told me you can't do any damage by running your easy stuff very slowly but you can do a lot of harm by running them too fast. Thyroid issues aside I had more success following his plan and his advice (to the letter) than I've ever had before. You're a far better runner than I but still, trust the plan man :)

Advertisement