Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Singer, great race, great report, not so great parking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Great running there, B! You looked well in control at the finish. Glad you got the car out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great racing B really smashed it out there yesterday well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great racing, B, you looked well recovered when I saw you (hours later of course). Hilarious report, sounded like you had to 'dig deep'* to get a result.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great race B. Very satisfying to have run such a controlled race...kinda runs against the grain :D. Experience has its place.

Doesn't sound as though the girls were going to push that car free after the race. You were right to call in some help:eek:

ps. Congrats to the missus on a fine debut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

"There's a spot over there".
    "D'ya think? What about that bump?"
    "Well your man parked there, it'll be grand"
    "Oops. Good job we brought that shovel".

Terrible parking, excellent running. Sub-90 with comfortable finish suggests you're in great shape! Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Excellent work B, fantastic result to reward the training. Have you revised your target for DCM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Guys I saw Singer at the finish and he looked fresh as a daisy. I don't think he really ran at all. :pac:

(Well done!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Brilliant racing B, congrats on the PB. That result really sets you up a very good marathon in 5 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great run yesterday.
    All still going to plan I see.
    You settled on a target time for DCM yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice going, B. That was a great performance. Well done to you and congrats to Mrs S on her debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great run yesterday.
    All still going to plan I see.
    You settled on a target time for DCM yet?
    Excellent work B, fantastic result to reward the training. Have you revised your target for DCM?

Thanks! I guess now is the time to decide. I've been notionally training for sub-3:15, however most MP paced miles so far have been a smidge quicker.

Sub-3:10 is attractive, there's pacers and 3:0x looks great :) - so I'm going to try to do the rest of my MP paced miles at 7'14 a mile. If it doesn't work out, somewhere below 3:15 is still a good time that I'd be very happy with.

Not much to report that wasn't already in yesterday's race report. No car disasters since yesterday either!

I have to admit to treating myself to PB beers yesterday. Today's hangover wasn't great at all, post-race aches were bad enough without the rest of the miserable hangover symptoms, and it was a busy day so I didn't get much rest at all (the youngest in the Singer household turned 3 today, so we had all the family over etc.). Anyway, back on the wagon until October 30th :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    19th September|4.1 miles|11:35|Recovery miles around Swords with a co-worker, chatting away.
    20th September|10.1 miles|8'19|The usual run commute.
    21st September|11.3 miles|7'59|I was hanging around town to meet a friend after work, so I treated myself to some post-work miles on the southside, following the DCM route from Rathgar to the finish. Very enjoyable run, wasn't watching pace and just cruising along.
    22nd September|0 miles|0'00|A day off!
    23rd September|0 miles|0'00|Another day off!
    24th September|13.9 miles|?|A slow warmup and a fast half-marathon :)
    25th September|5 miles|10'13|Recovery. Kind of uncomfortable.

Total: 44.6 miles

Next week: 18 days left until the taper for DCM starts... which means that this week will hopefully be pretty tough. 75-80 miles or so, including 15 with 10@MP during the week (probably pushed out to Thursday) and a time-on-feet 22 miles on Sunday. All depends on recovering from this weekend's activities, will slowly ramp up the pace during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How much do you think alcohol abstention contributed to your success yesterday, B? Did you find it difficult to cut it out, and what differences did you notice, if any, to training, recovery, sleep etc.?

Murph_D wrote: »
    How much do you think alcohol abstention contributed to your success yesterday, B? Did you find it difficult to cut it out, and what differences did you notice, if any, to training, recovery, sleep etc.?

The last few weeks training have been the best and toughest I've ever done, but it hasn't felt like it at all- I've been feeling really good throughout, and not feeling tired a lot. Sleep has been a lot better, I feel really well rested and I've also had a good bit more energy in work. It's become clear that I just don't sleep well at all when drinking, and carry over sleep debt and fatigue for days afterwards. My stomach has been pretty good too, it would get irritated regularly enough, and running since giving up the booze has involved less feeling bloated and passing wind etc.

Recovery has been noticeably better, it's a truism that good sleep is important for good recovery, but I didn't really get that until now. I probably would have done similar enough training - maybe with some slower miles and maybe not hitting as many of the paces in the sessions/long runs - but it would have felt harder, less enjoyable and I'd have been a lot more tired before, during and after running. It's probably not a coincidence at all that I had such an enjoyable race experience yesterday after a block of good training with a lot more rest than usual.

It could of course be a temporary blip, or maybe just a coincidence or all in my head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Sleep is the key. I'm a crap sleeper and I train when I'm tired a lot of the time. Its amazing that I can be carrying what feels like a niggle developing for days and then one or two good nights sleep and it's gone. I also see my HR being a lot higher on certain days (even for recovery runs) - which usually coincides with me having had minimal sleep for a few days. So good sleep not only helps you recover better, it helps you train harder and run faster (in my opinion and all purely anecdotal of course). I noticed a huge difference when I was on holidays - everything just felt easier I suppose after a week or two with no night shifts and a full 8 or 9 hours a night. Still, I suppose I'll have the edge if I ever decide to something crazy like a 24 hour race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Super running mate. Our paths probably crossed for a couple of km's at the start. Heavy couple of weeks on the cards, gonna take the next couple of days as gently as I can.....Congrats on the PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

wow! Fab result B! I like the look of the revised mp ;)
    You're really going from strength to strength. A lot of hard work ahead for you for sure, but no doubt, you'll nail it! I predict great things come DCM!

Good luck with that mega MP session!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great running and congrats on the PB - we probably ran side by side for a few miles :)

So... not a great week. I think I now know why actual marathon plans don't tend to have half marathons in the middle of heavy training. Despite being relatively conservative with pace during the week, I had two runs that went downhill pretty quickly and generally felt tired and not full of love for running. On Wednesday I ran home at a regular enough pace, but after 9 miles I ran out of energy and could just hold near-recovery pace for the last bit. Thursday was the 15 with 10@MP session, and I felt reasonably good going out, and for the first 6 miles or so of the MP miles, however again this went downhill kind of quickly and I couldn't hold the pace at all, and jogged the last 2.5 miles home. I took it very handy on Friday and Saturday (I felt pretty tired all day Saturday), but did a "time on feet" 22 miles on Sunday, which went reasonably well - I got a sore/numb left leg (something that used to pop up during last year's long runs) that got a bit bitey pain-wise around mile 16. I stopped for water at the car at mile 17, and that mostly sorted it (mental note to remember this during DCM!). I of course went a little fast to make this a pure time on feet LSR, finishing the 22 in just under 3 hours.

So I could put the lethargy down to HM recovery, but it could also be early signs of over-training. I'm still going to do the sessions as planned for the next week and a half, but I'll be open to running less in between, and maybe even taking some rest (gasp!).

Niggle updates: I've had a weird dull pain in my lower right abdomen from time to time, sometimes present during running. It wouldn't usually be present, but when I engage the area through coughing, jumping, rolling over or sneezing it'd be a little sore. After the HM it was a lot more present, to the extent that I was avoiding use of it when getting up out of bed. There was pain present during the week, but subsided each day and is pretty much gone now (other than the odd cough making it sore). One to watch! My left thigh has been feeling a bit uncomfortable, and that resulted in the pain and numbness during today's 22 mile run. Nothing else on the niggle radar, and I don't think either are DCM threatening.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    26th September|10.5 miles|8'56|Slow enough commute home. Sore abdomen.
    27th September|10.2 miles|8'15|Faster commute. Less sore.
    28th September|10.7 miles|8'32|Bonky commute.
    29th September|15 miles|7'58|15 with 7.5@MP. Finished pretty badly, not great at all.
    30th September|3.3 miles|11'51|Slow miles around town at lunch with a co-worker.
    30th September|5 miles|9'20|I did these 5 miles after work purely to get to 300 miles for September! I probably shouldn't have.
    1st October|3.4 miles|8'41|Felt tired all day... but felt slightly better once out running.
    2nd October|22.2 miles|8'07|Glorious morning in the Phoenix Park, and followed the DCM route from Manor St. to Kilmainham, and then back to the park for a bit. The climbs up to Inchicore are really tough!

Total: 80.4 miles
    September total: 300 miles

Next week: I'm going to give the 15 with 10@MP session another go. I'm doing the 3/4 marathon on Sunday, so that'll probably be something like 2-3 miles warmup, 4@8:15, 5@7.45 and the rest @7.15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Singer wrote: »
    So... not a great week. I think I now know why actual marathon plans don't tend to have half marathons in the middle of heavy training. Despite being relatively conservative with pace during the week, I had two runs that went downhill pretty quickly and generally felt tired and not full of love for running. On Wednesday I ran home at a regular enough pace, but after 9 miles I ran out of energy and could just hold near-recovery pace for the last bit. Thursday was the 15 with 10@MP session, and I felt reasonably good going out, and for the first 6 miles or so of the MP miles, however again this went downhill kind of quickly and I couldn't hold the pace at all, and jogged the last 2.5 miles home. I took it very handy on Friday and Saturday (I felt pretty tired all day Saturday), but did a "time on feet" 22 miles on Sunday, which went reasonably well - I got a sore/numb left leg (something that used to pop up during last year's long runs) that got a bit bitey pain-wise around mile 16. I stopped for water at the car at mile 17, and that mostly sorted it (mental note to remember this during DCM!). I of course went a little fast to make this a pure time on feet LSR, finishing the 22 in just under 3 hours.

So I could put the lethargy down to HM recovery, but it could also be early signs of over-training. I'm still going to do the sessions as planned for the next week and a half, but I'll be open to running less in between, and maybe even taking some rest (gasp!).

Niggle updates: I've had a weird dull pain in my lower right abdomen from time to time, sometimes present during running. It wouldn't usually be present, but when I engage the area through coughing, jumping, rolling over or sneezing it'd be a little sore. After the HM it was a lot more present, to the extent that I was avoiding use of it when getting up out of bed. There was pain present during the week, but subsided each day and is pretty much gone now (other than the odd cough making it sore). One to watch! My left thigh has been feeling a bit uncomfortable, and that resulted in the pain and numbness during today's 22 mile run. Nothing else on the niggle radar, and I don't think either are DCM threatening.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    26th September|10.5 miles|8'56|Slow enough commute home. Sore abdomen.
    27th September|10.2 miles|8'15|Faster commute. Less sore.
    28th September|10.7 miles|8'32|Bonky commute.
    29th September|15 miles|7'58|15 with 7.5@MP. Finished pretty badly, not great at all.
    30th September|3.3 miles|11'51|Slow miles around town at lunch with a co-worker.
    30th September|5 miles|9'20|I did these 5 miles after work purely to get to 300 miles for September! I probably shouldn't have.
    1st October|3.4 miles|8'41|Felt tired all day... but felt slightly better once out running.
    2nd October|22.2 miles|8'07|Glorious morning in the Phoenix Park, and followed the DCM route from Manor St. to Kilmainham, and then back to the park for a bit. The climbs up to Inchicore are really tough!

Total: 80.4 miles
    September total: 300 miles

Next week: I'm going to give the 15 with 10@MP session another go. I'm doing the 3/4 marathon on Sunday, so that'll probably be something like 2-3 miles warmup, 4@8:15, 5@7.45 and the rest @7.15.

I wouldn't be too worried by dips in form/motivation especially when they happen during heavy mileage weeks and/or after a hard race.

Very hard to stay fully focused and consistent over the entire cycle and you've been going really well.

I'm an auld niggle magnet but I'd keep an close eye on the niggle though, don't let a 15 mile MP session ruin your cycle

Wear a red carnation on your singlet at the 3/4's and I'll say hi :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Mind the body B, what's the sleep like, make sure your getting plenty of
    early nights to help recovery, a raced half can take about 10 days to recover
    from so think your right about it having negitive impact this week, I think
    I remember side note to knock mid week session on the head if not fully
    recovered from race, main thing to get to start line in one piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I know how you feel. It's usually a couple of weeks after a half befoe I start feeling fully right again. At least there's only one more big week befoe the taper.
    As far as that pain in your lower right abdomen - I get something similar, with the same issue whem coughing/sneezing etc. Basically I made sh1t of my hip flexor on that side in 2014 and have had that problem on and off since. I get tightness on the inside of my leg as well - so you have adductors and the psoas and a few other muscles going from where you have the pain through the pelvis and down the inside of your leg. I find doing a deep lunge while bending my right arm over my head while leaning to the left helps to get a good stretch in that area.

I wouldn't be too worried by dips in form/motivation especially when they happen during heavy mileage weeks and/or after a hard race.

Yeh, I'm not too worried... besides, the taper starts in 10 days!

There's a pic of me a few pages back, feel free to say hi on Sunday!

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Mind the body B, what's the sleep like, make sure your getting plenty of
    early nights to help recovery, a raced half can take about 10 days to recover
    from so think your right about it having negitive impact this week, I think
    I remember side note to knock mid week session on the head if not fully
    recovered from race, main thing to get to start line in one piece.

Sleep's only ok this week, the kids are acting up, and I was awake until nearly 2AM after the late and poxy session on Thursday. Hopefully will go better this week!

I know how you feel. It's usually a couple of weeks after a half befoe I start feeling fully right again. At least there's only one more big week befoe the taper.
    As far as that pain in your lower right abdomen - I get something similar, with the same issue whem coughing/sneezing etc. Basically I made sh1t of my hip flexor on that side in 2014 and have had that problem on and off since. I get tightness on the inside of my leg as well - so you have adductors and the psoas and a few other muscles going from where you have the pain through the pelvis and down the inside of your leg. I find doing a deep lunge while bending my right arm over my head while leaning to the left helps to get a good stretch in that area.

Very interesting. I did have some tightness on the right hip area too, I assumed it was all related alright. Thanks for the tip!

A solid week, and thankfully the last big one before DCM. All I have to worry about now is picking up random viruses, maniacally changing my diet according to some whim or fad, and wrecking myself in one last big session (more about that later).

My running mojo was definitely back this week compared to last week, most runs felt pretty good. What didn't go well was picking up a niggle. My left leg was a bit sore and numb after last week's 22 miler, this mostly cleared up over the course of the week, but towards the end of the week the pain has now shifted to my shin, and I think I have some mild version of shin splints, just in time for the taper! The pain doesn't get worse when running, it actually kind of goes away afterwards. Nothing some rest and tapering won't take care of, hopefully.

The two interesting runs of the week were 15 with 10@MP and the 3/4 marathon.

The MLR went well, splits hit and clearly I had a lot more energy this time 'round compared to last week.

The 3/4 marathon went really well, though ended up being a lot different (and a bit faster) than planned. Beforehand I met a good load of boards folk (tang, TbL, myles, AMK, younganne, meno), had the chats, and then did a warm up with myles and AMK (the only time I'd be near them on a race course ;) ). The start was a bit slow, but I managed to pick up the pace and get under 8'00 for the first mile. My plan was to then stick at the pace for the first third, but I was feeling very comfortable so just kept things just over 7'30. At mile 6 or so I ended up chatting to a lovely lady, and we ended up nattering away a few miles, and subconsciously sped up. She was doing the entire race at MP or so, however she was really comfortable for most of it. We kind of pushed each other a bit, and ended up running a few faster miles here and there. We slowly overtook a lot of runners over the course of the rest of the run. We had a bit of banter from one lad who was mock-giving out to us for chatting away, it was nice to get ahead of him towards the end :) I faded a little in the last .6 mile, and my lovely running friend left my side, pulling ahead by a couple of places and finishing a good deal stronger than I. Still a very good workout, aside from the bad setup at the start (getting people to loiter in a car park just before the start meant that there was no natural sorting of paces, so it was a bit messy) it was a really great race timed run communal long run. I ate a load of melon at the end (it tasted amazing), and hobbled down to my car after briefly chatting with tang.

Finally I picked up my marathon runners this week, popping into Run Logic one lunchtime. I was served by Mick "Clohisey" The Claw which was initially a bit intimidating but he was absolutely lovely and a total gent. I recommend buying running shoes from Olympians! I picked up a pair of Hoka Clifton 3s, I think I prefer the 2 but they still feel pretty good.

15 with 10 splits: 8'47, 8'18, 8'49, 8'24, 8'42, 7'15, 7'12, 7'15, 7'15, 7'13, 7'14, 7'13, 7'15, 7'15, 7'09

3/4 splits: 7'54, 7'33, 7'29, 7'31, 7'30, 7'31, 7'25, 7'16, 7'23, 7'37, 7'22, 7'23, 7'33, 7'17, 7'34, 7'10, 7'12, (7'30 for the 0.6)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    3rd October|10 miles|9'22|Recovery commute home
    4th October|10.2 miles|8'13|Standard run commute
    5th October|15 miles|7'41|15 with 10@MP as above
    6th October|9.9 miles|9'10|Recovery-ish commute... kind of sped up.
    7th October|10.7 miles|8'22|Slightly longer commute home
    8th October|7 miles|8'47|Handy slightly shin-splinty miles
    8th October|3.9 miles|9'23|A double! Recovery slightly less shin-splinty miles
    9th October|23.1 miles|WU/CD + 3/4 marathon @7'26|As above

Total: 90.1 miles :cool::pac::D

Next week: Definitely breaking 90 miles... not. Meno's "sting in the tail" is 14@MP. I might take a half-day from work to get it done. I might ditch it entirely, or move to the weekend if the shin doesn't improve. I will take at least one rest day. Promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great to see you again B, great running today. Take care of that shin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Singer, nice run. You're in good shape.

Put your feet up in those classy moccasins and take a well deserved rest ;)

You're race number was gas # 999 or # 666 if you pinned it on upside down!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Nice work B expecting great things from DCM :)

Advertisement