Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    28th July|6.66 miles|8'36|??
    29th July|8 miles|7'27|Fast run up past the airport and back.
    30th July|4 miles|8'47|Naked run.
    1st August|17.5 miles|8'43|Good LSR, headed out via the coast road to Baldoyle and back through Clare Hall and up through Airside to add a few miles on at the end. Sped up from mile 12 or so.

Weekly total: 36.16 miles
    July total: 145.3 miles (8 less than June!)

I had a nap instead of a recovery run on Sunday, it's been a busy weekend!

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    3rd August|6.5 miles|7'33|Didn't do a recovery the day previous, and wanted to make the most of the bank holiday, so got a fast run in out to Malahide village and back. Slightly dehydrated due to it being sunny and drinking beer over the bank holiday weekend.
    4th August|5.22 miles|9'09|Another Tuesday run around Swords that I can't really remember :confused:
    5th August|10.2 miles|8'21|Run commute home from city centre to Swords. I'll probably get another few of these in mid-week. Sped up towards the end, last few mile splits were 7'53, 8'17 (traffic lights at the airport...), 8'11, 8'01.
    6th August|4 miles|8'40|A few Thursday miles around Swords, up around Airside.|
    8th August|14.2 miles|9'59|Hugely successful and enjoyable DCM Mentored Novices LSR around the Phoenix Park! :D
    9th August|6.2 miles|9'01|Run into Malahide then back along the estuary. A bit long for a recovery run.

Weekly total: 46.82 miles

7 hours and 2 seconds spent running this week according to the Nike App... so close to a round number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Progress... :) So was Wednesday's progression run a swap for the pace run? Not giving out, just curious :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Progress... :) So was Wednesday's progression run a swap for the pace run? Not giving out, just curious :)

The run commute home can be a pain to keep a pace, I find getting out of town is slow with crossing roads etc., even though I go slightly indirect via the Malahide Road and Griffith/Collins Ave... also the uphill drag doesn't help. It's more convenient than anything else to to speed up at Santry. But yeh, intended as a swap for the pace run.

This week I feel like somebody who's training for a marathon :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    11th August|8.75 miles|8'15|Meant to just do 10k to Malahide or so, but felt FANTASTIC :D and it was a lovely night, so added on a few fast miles at the end.
    12th August|10.25 miles|8'29|Run commute home from city centre to Swords, aiming for (marathon pace?) 8'30 though a little all over the place with running through town etc. Fast last mile.
    13th August|5.6 miles|9'16|Felt glad to get some slower miles in today. Just ran around Swords.
    15th August|10.5 miles|9'37|Didn't get out for the LSR this morning, met a mate from college for a run in the afternoon. A bit longer than I had initially anticipated, followed some of the Fingal 10k route but went a little further out into the county. Nice and slow though, chatting away makes the miles go along very quickly.
    16th August|20 miles|9'09|First 20 mile LSR! :pac: Negative split and the fastest miles were the last two. Went from Swords to Howth and back, via the coast road.

Weekly total: 55.1 miles

• Advertisement

Quiet week due to the 10 miler :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    18th August|6.5 miles|7'43|This week's fastish training run
    19th August|10 miles|8'40|Run commute home. Shoulder was a bit sore afterwards, I might need to get a "proper" run commute bag for the laptop.
    21st August|3.5 miles|9'26|Pre-race leg warmer upper.
    22nd August|10 miles|7'03|Frank Duffy 10 miler! Race Report.
    23rd August|3.7 miles|9'30|Slow miles on a hotel gym treadmill, was away for a night with my +1. Effort always feels harder on treadmills.

Weekly total: 32.7 miles

This week will be a good bit of easy running but ramping the milage back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Singer wrote: »
    Quiet week due to the 10 miler :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    18th August|6.5 miles|7'43|This week's fastish training run
    19th August|10 miles|8'40|Run commute home. Shoulder was a bit sore afterwards, I might need to get a "proper" run commute bag for the laptop.
    21st August|3.5 miles|9'26|Pre-race leg warmer upper.
    22nd August|10 miles|7'03|Frank Duffy 10 miler! Race Report.
    23rd August|3.7 miles|9'30|Slow miles on a hotel gym treadmill, was away for a night with my +1. Effort always feels harder on treadmills.

Weekly total: 32.7 miles

This week will be a good bit of easy running but ramping the milage back up.

Well done on the FD. Great running and nice report.
    Also how do you run 10 miles with a laptop??That would be my idea of hell.

tipping wrote: »
    Well done on the FD. Great running and nice report.
    Also how do you run 10 miles with a laptop??That would be my idea of hell.

The laptop's not heavy (13" Macbook Air, so 1.34 kgs), and once it isn't bouncing around it feels fine. I do have the bag pretty tight around the shoulders which might be aggravating things.

This week I got new runners from Run Logic. Dragged my current smelly pairs in, did gait analysis etc. and ended up with a pair of size 10.5 Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15. I might try out something minimal next.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    24th August|4.25 miles|8'34|In Powerscourt for the night, so couldn't resist heading out for a run along the river and up through the golf course.
    25th August|10 miles|8'10|Two opportunities to run commute home this week, so this was the first (via Malahide Road)...
    26th August|6.66 miles|8'26|Out to Malahide and back.
    27th August|9 miles|8'20|...and this the second. Took the shorter route (via Gardiner St.)
    29th August|20.1 miles|8'40|Swords to the Zoo and back, summary on the Novices thread. Knees and back a little bit sore later, no doubt helped by going out to a gig, drinking beer etc. Destroyed a late night snack box on the way home, I was famished despite eating well enough during the day.
    30th August|4 miles|9'43|Slowwwwwwww recovery run. Listened to the new Beach House album which help keep things nice and slow :)

Weekly total: 54 miles

No running tomorrow so...

Monthly total: 206.3 miles :D

Next week / month: More of the same.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    1st September|6.5 miles|7'27|Fast run of the week, out to Malahide and back.
    2nd September|13.1 miles|8'31|Ah yeh, just knocking out a half-marathon as the mid-week long run :eek:. Portmarnock and back.
    3rd September|4.5 miles|8'22|Work stuff meant I did a lunchtime run. Went out from St. Stephen's Green through Ballsbridge, looped around the Aviva and back via Merrion Square, taking in the last mile or so of the marathon route.
    5th September|6.5 miles|8'40|Hungover and generally tired so avoided doing the LSR. Dragged myself out at 21:15 and immediately felt great! I guess I had > 48 hours since running. Threw in some strides near the end.
    6th September|20 miles|8'31|LSR, report on the Novices thread. 3/5 20 milers done...

I noticed that I set 3 Nike App HM PBs over the last 8 days (last week's LSR - 1:50:57 , mid-week long run - 1:50:34 , this week's LSR - 1:48:35) :eek: :pac:

Weekly total: 50.6 miles

Next week: Life's doing a bit of disrupting this week (bunch of medical appointments, sister over from Scotland, various birthdays, big work function), hopefully shouldn't impact too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hi Singer,

Are you still targeting a sub 4 hour marathon?

You're probably capable of better, but even so your long runs seem a bit too fast. 8:31min/mile is around 3:45 marathon pace. You shouldn't be running long runs that fast unless you're targeting a time a fair bit quicker than that. It's very likely that you'll burn yourself out or get injured before the big day. I've been there, done it and didn't believe what I'm now saying to you either, but it's true!

Edit: Just checked your LSR report. You're definitely them running too fast.
    You also shouldn't be setting pb's in training.
    Slow down!

*just whistling innocently, that's all* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have to agree with yaboya, some of those runs are alarmingly fast for what they're supposed to be. But you know it's been mentioned a few times already. ;) Running fast might help your confidence but it will hurt your endurance. It's counter-intuitive, until it goes wrong. It would be a shame to undo all the effort and good stuff you're putting in, but you still have time to fix things, luckily.

Edit: tone a bit preachier than intended, sorry. It's just that a good friend of mine trained in a similar way last year, with good race series results, and ended up having a very difficult day.

Ok, this pace problem is not just stressing me out, it's got ye in on it now :)
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Hi Singer,
    Are you still targeting a sub 4 hour marathon?

You're probably capable of better, but even so your long runs seem a bit too fast. 8:31min/mile is around 3:45 marathon pace. You shouldn't be running long runs that fast unless you're targeting a time a fair bit quicker than that. It's very likely that you'll burn yourself out or get injured before the big day. I've been there, done it and didn't believe what I'm now saying to you either, but it's true!

I'm gonna make a call of 8:20 target pace. That puts easy at 9:10 (:eek: ;) ).
    Edit: Just checked your LSR report. You're definitely them running too fast.
    You also shouldn't be setting pb's in training.
    Slow down!

I've only done one HM race, in the distant past (last year's race series). This particular problem of PBing in training should be resolved in the next two weeks :)
    *just whistling innocently, that's all* :D

;)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Have to agree with yaboya, some of those runs are alarmingly fast for what they're supposed to be. But you know it's been mentioned a few times already. ;) Running fast might help your confidence but it will hurt your endurance. It's counter-intuitive, until it goes wrong. It would be a shame to undo all the effort and good stuff you're putting in, but you still have time to fix things, luckily.

Edit: tone a bit preachier than intended, sorry. It's just that a good friend of mine trained in a similar way last year, with good race series results, and ended up having a very difficult day.

I think I inspire the tone - I really appreciate the input :)

I think this is a plausible interpretation of the boards plan that I'll follow from now (cutting out the fast runs, generally slowing down, taking into account this week's disruption - no doubt there'll be numerous other tweaks and circumstances to deal with).

Easy/LSR == 9.10
    Recovery == 9.25
    singer-dcm-2015.png?raw=1

'S only coz we care Singer ;) Seriously, if we didn't give a f@ck, we'd let you carry on your merry way :)

'S only coz we care Singer ;) Seriously, if we didn't give a f@ck, we'd let you carry on your merry way :)

The tyranny of having an awesome online community caring about your running... :)

As anticipated, life got in the way this week, but I didn't do too badly. I didn't run on Friday and Saturday, first time in two months taking two days off in a row!

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    7th September|4.5 miles|9'24|Recovery run from Rathgar back to city centre.
    8th September|6.5 miles|9'04|The old reliable Swords -> Malahide route.
    9th September|8.5 miles|8'56|Rathgar to city centre, except I followed the marathon route!
    10th September|9 miles|8'17|PMP commute home from city centre to Swords. Didn't feel great and cut it short (i.e. didn't extend to 11 miles, just went straight home). I'd eaten not too long before, and I was generally feeling tired.
    13th September|22 miles|8'51|LSR report on Novices thread. Best LSR in a while.

Weekly distance: 50.5 miles

Next week: Glorious pre-half marathon taper. I'll do tomorrow's run at recovery pace.

It feels trivial posting a race report given the circumstances, but here goes.

TL;DR I made a complete bollox of the half marathon.

Pre-race:
    I ran very little during the week as a taper - a slow 4.25 miles on Monday, a mixed paced 6.5 miles on Wednesday and a leisurely 2 miles on Friday.

Race day:
    I followed my now regular morning routine and knocked back a large porridge with honey and peanut butter, along with a cup of coffee before arriving at the Phoenix Park around 9. I found TFGR and got ready for the race. Just before it started I knocked back a High-5 caffeine gel.

Miles 1-3: 7'00, 6'43, 6'39

I started in the first wave, behind the 1:30 pacers. My vague strategy was to keep the 1:30 pacers in sight and see how things go. Minimal weaving for the start, which was nice, I pretty much got to concentrate on keeping pace the whole way through. No problems at all, happy enough.

Miles 4-7: 6'54, 6'50, 6'54, 6'47

Starting to let the 1:30 pacers go ahead a bit, but not too stressed. Still feeling good. Necked another gel around mile 6.

Miles 8 - 10: 7'06, 7'34, 7'07

Waved to dubgal and whoopsie, and not long after things went downhill. Stopped for a pee (first time ever during a race) after the turn off from Wellington, and never really recovered. I wasn't bursting but needed to stop.

Miles: 11 - 13: 7'37, 8'14, 8'49

Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh. This was horrific. I stopped 4 times and walked :( I got a lot of encouragement from fellow runners, but I could barely respond. A friend of mine showed up at around 1.3 kms to go, and did his best to encourage me, but I just couldn't keep up with him. I simply had no energy. I wasn't in pain, nothing was stopping me other than general lack of energy. At this stage I thought that the 1:40 pacers had passed me despite any actual evidence of them having done so. I sped up towards the end, waved at dubgal and whoopsie again, and stumbled across the finish line. I felt terrible and had to lie down for a few minutes before heading down the road, picking up my bag and got into comfortable clothes.

Chip time: 1:36:02

A respectable time, which I'm proud of, but not an enjoyable experience at all. I ran a 5k, 10k and 10m PB according to my Nike App, however this is just more evidence that my race strategy was woeful. I should have let the 1:30 pacers go a lot sooner. I haven't yet fully post-mortemed the race in my head, however it's very clear to me that finishing strong in the DCM is something I really want to do, as opposed to this miserable finish.

Post-race:
    Ate a worryingly large amount of flapjacks, hung around with a large group of boards folks then headed down to Ryans. Ended up on the beer with Toulouse and co. and watched an extraordinary victory by the Japanese rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

You're obviously disappointed but try not to be too hard on yourself. That's still a very good time and bad days out usually provide great experience for future races!

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    14th September|4.25 miles|9'46|Recovery run after 22 miler the day before! Getting bored so did a new route around Swords.
    16th September|6.5 miles|8'06|Out and back to Malahide. Varied the pace and did some strides.
    18th September|2 miles|8'52|EZ miles before the race...
    19th September|13.3 miles|7'19|Half marathon, race report above.
    20th September|4 miles|9'43|...EZ miles after the race. Was quite tired and legs were a little sore all day, nearly convinced myself not to bother but glad I got out. As always I felt a lot better once out.

Weekly distance: 30.1 miles
    Next week: Back to regular marathon training. No need to think about running fast for a long time now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

TL;DR I made a complete bollox of the half marathon.

Miles 1-3: 7'00, 6'43, 6'39

I started in the first wave, behind the 1:30 pacers. My vague strategy was to keep the 1:30 pacers in sight and see how things go.

Chip time: 1:36:02

That's a brilliant time, well done! I'm sure you don't want any advice from someone who finished a whole minute behind you, but I'm just chipping in on the running slow / pacing thing, because I, too, have been the 'running my long runs too hard / heading out too fast in a race' person.

When I was training for DCM 2013 I just ran my long runs whatever pace my clubmates who were doing the same distance that Sunday were doing them, so some were hard and fast (for me) and (luckily - but more by chance than planning) some were slow if I was running with slower friends. I didn't think it would make any difference in the marathon as I'd done fine in the rest of the race series (similar to you: sub 35, Sub 45, Sub 73, 1.37.xx), and I'd done a few 20-mile runs yada, yada, yada. Set out with the 3.40 pacers on the day (THANK GOD I didn't listen to clubmates telling me to aim for 3.30!!!) and died a death after 19 miles, crawling in in 3.54.

So what I learned was: run the long runs slow AND start the marathon slower than my hoped-for time and aim to run negative splits. The reason I'm sticking my oar in is that you and I took the opposite tack with the pacers on Saturday and ended up with similar-ish times, but I'd say my experience was more comfortable (I started with the 1.40s and finished in 1.37, you started with the 1.30s and finished in 1.36).

You were saying you don't want the slowing down thing to happen in the marathon (try to avoid it, it's awful!!), so do you think starting at a slightly slower pace than you'd planned, running within yourself for 19 or 20 miles, and then just trying to hold that pace for the last 6 or 7 miles would work? I think it could get you a quicker time than trying to hang on to a faster pace group.

Again, really well done on your time on Saturday. Sorry for sticking my 2 cents in, I just feel like the Ghost of Christmas Past reading your log and wanted to come in as a spooky apparition to give you the benefit of my 'experience'!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Again, really well done on your time on Saturday. Sorry for sticking my 2 cents in, I just feel like the Ghost of Christmas Past reading your log and wanted to come in as a spooky apparition to give you the benefit of my 'experience'!

:)
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    You were saying you don't want the slowing down thing to happen in the marathon (try to avoid it, it's awful!!), so do you think starting at a slightly slower pace than you'd planned, running within yourself for 19 or 20 miles, and then just trying to hold that pace for the last 6 or 7 miles would work? I think it could get you a quicker time than trying to hang on to a faster pace group.

Coincidentally I was reading through this thread today...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88958765&postcount=76

I think there's not much there that supports going for 3:3x given my HM time and having a good time at the marathon - it's probably doable but with a good chance of blowing up and things getting grim. I think the my race plan is looking like start off around 8:40/mi (3:47ish), and speed up if feeling good after 18/20 mi for < 3:45.

I'll be keeping my remaining LSRs and easy runs at ~ 9:10/mi (maybe some faster miles at the end of the LSRs), hopefully some of the damage can be repaired :)

Thanks for the post, really appreciated!

That was a perfect post, thanks Helen! Thanks to Singer too for finally letting me breathe a sigh of relief :D

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    22nd September|6.75 miles|9'04|Out to Malahide and back... again.
    23rd September|13.5 miles|8'14|Out to Portmarnock and back. 10 miles done at what I thought was around the fast side of PMP, but ended up being close to 8'00, so stuck with it. Some post-HM frustration was taken out in this run :)
    24th September|9 miles|9'09|Run commute from city centre to Swords. Pretty sore shoulder at the end. Hit 1000 miles for the year in this run.
    26th September|20 miles|8'57|LSR report on Novices thread. Pretty happy with this, niggles aside. The 4 fast miles at the end were relatively comfortable.
    27th September|4.75 miles|9'42|Nice and slow recovery run around Swords. Felt very good for a day after an LSR.

Weekly total: 54 miles.

Next week: Last week before taper!:eek: *exciting* I'll probably do another 20 mile LSR, and maybe a longer & slower (actually PMP) mid-week run. Also visiting a physio for the first time - my shoulder is giving me a bit of pain during runs, and I have a slight burning/throbbing sensation on my left foot that I'm a little paranoid about due to an injury back on March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    22nd September|6.75 miles|9'04|Out to Malahide and back... again.
    23rd September|13.5 miles|8'14|Out to Portmarnock and back. 10 miles done at what I thought was around the fast side of PMP, but ended up being close to 8'00, so stuck with it. Some post-HM frustration was taken out in this run :)
    24th September|9 miles|9'09|Run commute from city centre to Swords. Pretty sore shoulder at the end. Hit 1000 miles for the year in this run.
    26th September|20 miles|8'57|LSR report on Novices thread. Pretty happy with this, niggles aside. The 4 fast miles at the end were relatively comfortable.
    27th September|4.75 miles|9'42|Nice and slow recovery run around Swords. Felt very good for a day after an LSR.

Weekly total: 54 miles.

That's a great week of training Singer. Excellent variation in paces between fast and slow depending on the sessions, much better than previous weeks :). You are definitely doing well. I reckon 3;30 is a definite possibility.

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's a great week of training Singer. Excellent variation in paces between fast and slow depending on the sessions, much better than previous weeks :). You are definitely doing well. I reckon 3;30 is a definite possibility.

Thanks! I think I'm happy enough to leave 3:30 on the table, finish strong on the day and maybe even enjoy it ;)

menoscemo wrote: »

And we were doing so well with him :pac: I agree, I think he is capable of it but too much to go wrong if he can't pull it off on the day and I'll still argue that endurance is his achilles heel. If he starts off with the 3:40 pacing group, he should get 3:3x
    Another cycle of training however......

Updated "plan" for the remaining weeks, includes actual mileage ran compared to the "plan" posted last month. Basically following the structure of the boards plan, with additional milage.

DCM_2015_-_Google_Sheets-2.png?raw=1

Updated "plan" for the remaining weeks, includes actual mileage ran compared to the "plan" posted last month. Basically following the structure of the boards plan, with additional milage.

DCM_2015_-_Google_Sheets-2.png?raw=1

Here's your lsr progression to date....but first:
    This week was lame aside from a good Fingal 10k :D

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    15th July|6.66 miles|7'53|First day feeling good in a while, went out for a nice fast run!
    16th July|5.75 miles|???|Ran naked aside from clothes. Didn't bring phone or anything. Not too fast, not too slow.
    18th July|3.75 miles|8'07|A few short miles with strides.
    19th July|6.21371 miles|7'00|Fingal 10k. Race report.

Weekly total: 22.4 miles

Next week: Back to the good old boards plan!
    What happened to the good old boards plan, did it smell?! :p

Date|Length| Pace
    13 June|13.2|8:33
    14 June|13.2|9:31
    21 June|19|9:32
    22 June|13.1|9:18
    27 June|Race|5m
    12 July|13.2|9:28
    19 July|Race|10k
    25 July|18|8:56
    1 Aug|17.5|8:43
    8 Aug|14.2 novice run|9:59
    16 Aug|20|9:09
    22 Aug|Race|FD10
    29 Aug|20.1|8:40
    6 Sept|20|8:31
    13 Sept|22|8:51
    19 Sept|Race|13.1
    26 Sept|20|8:57
    3 Oct|22|planned

Just looking at the recent lsrs laid out there, i'm not sure a 22 is going to benefit you hugely. I'm thinking there's too much danger of stagnation. There is also the question of your foot/metatarsal...
    Anyone with more expertise here please?

• Advertisement

Here's your lsr progression to date....but first:

What happened to the good old boards plan, did it smell?! :p

Just not enough milage!
    Just looking at the recent lsrs laid out there, i'm not sure a 22 is going to benefit you hugely. I'm thinking there's too much danger of stagnation. There is also the question of your foot/metatarsal...

The foot problem kind of went away once I booked a physio appointment :o Physio checked it out anyway, no problems.

Anyway, I did some deep soul-searching (and reading of the various P&D plans), and only the most ludicrous plan has a 22 miler at this stage. The rest have 20, so I'll just do that...

Advertisement