Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great week of training B especially those 2 main sessions, I think I am going to find it very hard to stick with you at DCM:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

tang1 wrote: »
    Great to see you again B, great running today. Take care of that shin.

Good seeing you! I hope you didn't have to make too many arrests. I had your number pinned to me just in case I saw anything improper going on just in case :)
    Well done Singer, nice run. You're in good shape.

Put your feet up in those classy moccasins and take a well deserved rest ;)

Thanks and good to meet you C! It says a lot about how bad my bee sting was that people only remember the shoes I was wearing ;)
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Nice work B expecting great things from DCM :)

Thanks! Looking forward to it... well, finishing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Fine job there B, be nice to yourself over the next 3 weeks...get to that start line now and you're in for a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Brilliant week, and well done today B. Definitely take the rest day, or at least take one if you feel any sign of the niggle. Don't take ANY chances at this stage. Have a good week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done B. I will have to sharpen up cycling around the route to give you a shoutout on the big day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great run yesterday.
    Nice to meet you - great to put names to faces and meet real boarsies and Strava people :)

Mind that shin and don't be a slave to the plan if its causing any sort of grief. 14@MP is a beast of a session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Nice job indeed B, but you gotta do the 14 @ MP - g'wan, I'm living vicariously through everyone else :D:D (obviously don't do it if your shin is sore though.....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great running yesterday and great to meet you again. Mind the shin for the next bit and yes ditch that tail sting if needs bee!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You know me, I'd have ditched the ¾ to be ready for the 14@MP.

But each to his own. You'll be grand (you always are).

Nearly there, DFIU! ;)

Speaking of fcuking it up...

My left shin is still pretty sore. I took 2 days rest after the 3/4, and it kind of got a bit better. I ran on it this evening and cut the run short after 3 miles, as the pain was very present and I felt like I was just making things worse. Writing this on my log is part of accepting that I'm injured and need to do something about it :)

Dr. Google reckons it's shin splints from overuse. I'm waiting on a confirmation from a physio to take a proper look tomorrow, but I reckon my near future involves some more rest, icing and probably some time on a bike in a gym (yawn).

If DCM was tomorrow I'd race it without a second thought. The pain isn't debilitating, but is annoyingly present when walking around and was very much there on my run earlier on. It was sore for the start of the 3/4, but went away after a while. If I knew that it won't get worse until after DCM I'd be running on it as planned (with a slight grimace on my face), it's the fear of the injury escalating that's stopping me from being out on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Use a bar of soap to massage the muscles and bone B, should give you a bit of relief. Helped me when I had the same ailment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

TUE? :) seems to be done thing these days......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Don't panic and take a few days out now - the training is in the bank. Remember you'll only hit your target if you make the start line - better to be 100% healthy and 95% fit than the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Don't panic and take a few days out now - the training is in the bank. Remember you'll only hit your target if you make the start line - better to be 100% healthy and 95% fit than the other way around.

+1
    Mind yourself. Don't listen to 'your coach'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

the training is in the bank
    +1
    I was told to stop worrying yesterday and that 'as the say in US, The hay is in the barn'
    :) still plenty of recovery time left mate...

healy1835 wrote: »
    +1
    I was told to stop worrying yesterday and that 'as the say in US, The hay is in the barn'
    :) still plenty of recovery time left mate...

But the barn is on fire!

Anyway, I went to the physio. I have a small tear in my calf. The physio didn't convince me not to do the marathon, and he reckoned I could run in the meantime if I really wanted to (I think he assumed that I was going to run unless my legs were falling off), but obviously this will extend how long it takes to properly heal. I suggested taking a week off running entirely and taking another look next week. So, unless it miraculously heals, no running until next Wednesday when I'll do a short test run to see how things are. In addition to some gym work (cycling I guess), I'll be doing some massage, icing and calf-stretching too. He did some taping of it to see if it would help, and showed me how to tape it up too.

I'm open to suggestions on what to do in the meantime so I don't feel like my fitness is rotting away ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Singer wrote: »
    But the barn is on fire!

Anyway, I went to the physio. I have a small tear in my calf. The physio didn't convince me not to do the marathon, and he reckoned I could run in the meantime if I really wanted to (I think he assumed that I was going to run unless my legs were falling off), but obviously this will extend how long it takes to properly heal. I suggested taking a week off running entirely and taking another look next week. So, unless it miraculously heals, no running until next Wednesday when I'll do a short test run to see how things are. In addition to some gym work (cycling I guess), I'll be doing some massage, icing and calf-stretching too. He did some taping of it to see if it would help, and showed me how to tape it up too.

I'm open to suggestions on what to do in the meantime so I don't feel like my fitness is rotting away ;)

Sorry to hear that B. I've been in that position for the last few weeks. Could you commute by bike - two periods of exercise per day using time you would be commuting anyway. It's keeping me sane. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Careful with it B, under normal circumstances minor calf tear couple weeks
    rest then back to training, but you are going to run a Marathon, my calf only
    settling after months as result of running with minor tear and fcuked up
    Achilles as well. We are all different from injury to healing it's a really hard one
    take best advice from physio, but I think you will really know, hope it settles
    quickly and nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Rest up, give your calf a chance to heal. Most importantly get yourself to the startline. I've no suggestions for you to maintain fitness other than the bike (not sure how that would effect the calf) or pool running (mind numbing torture). What I can say is I trained hard through an injury before and the outcome was not good so do yourself a favour and take it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

But the barn is on fire!

Ah b***s. How did a pain in your shin turn into a calf tear! Hope you can get to the start line. I think that you've earned yourself a good marathon.

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    Ah b***s. How did a pain in your shin turn into a calf tear! Hope you can get to the start line. I think that you've earned yourself a good marathon.

I need to learn more about my body! The tear is really close to the bone, I thought it was the bone itself that was sore but obviously not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Really sorry to hear of the injury B . The best of luck for a speedy recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

In addition to some gym work (cycling I guess), I'll be doing some massage, icing and calf-stretching too.....

Ah B, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully it will be ok and allow you make the startline 100%.

Did your physio say it was ok to do calf stretches in the meantime? I would have thought that would be risky??
    Obviously if he/she gave you the go ahead it's fine I suppose..

Anywho, rest up and be patient..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Not good. I tore my calf muscle three and a half years ago.

Bad news: I couldn't walk for two weeks (on crutches) and didn't run for nine. When I did get back into it, it took me a month to get back up to 20 miles.

However, I made the startline and completed the marathon pain free (from the injury).

Good news: You seem to have diagnosed your injury before I did. I ran 2/3 runs on mine knowing it wasn't right, until finally completing an agonising 15m with my ankle invisible at the end due to the size of the swelling. With this in mind, I'd assume your recovery will be far quicker. How long though? No idea. Your physio should know better from treating the injury. I definitely wouldn't have healed without the rehab. I was told to do heel drops and some other exercises daily, but calf stretches were a no-no. You may be different, but I'd definitely double check first before doing yourself more damage. It's possible you'll do very little running before the race now. I was told not to run back to back days when I did get the go ahead to go out again. Don't overdo it. Your best chance of making the start line and finishing the race are by giving your body time to heal, which unfortunately means not much running. You won't want to hear this, but I think you may have to forget about your original target and just enjoy the race. I hope I'm wrong, but with just over two weeks to recover I can't see everything being back to 100% for a flat out go at the time you're probably capable of.

Again, hope I'm wrong and everything is ok and goes to plan. Be careful though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear this, B. :( Agree with above - must say I did a double take at the calf stretches too - but then again pretty much do no stretching at all so am probably not a good judge of this. Hoping it comes good for you.

The prescribed stretching was some heel drops, nothing too crazy.

Anyway, I'm calling into Myles tomorrow for a proper look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Anyway, I'm calling into Myles tomorrow for a proper look :)

Fingers crossed for good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sorry to hear this B, main thing is to get to the start line in one piece and still be in one piece afterwards too! Hopefully you have caught it in time and it's manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Sorry to hear about your calf injury B. Hopefully it wont be to bad and that you make the start line. I think that getting a second opinion from Myles is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear about the calf B, the man with the healing hands will sort you out tomorrow.

Advertisement