Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Sorry to hear the news, B. Hope it gets sorted quick and you heal soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry about your setback B. Hope Myles can sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Bummer B mind yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Stay positive B. Hope we hear some good news from you later.
    Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Mind the calf and mind yourself. You've a great training cycle done, now time to recover and let the injury heal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I have mostly good news!

The bad news is that it hasn't miraculously been cured. The good news is that it's probably not a tear (if it is it's very small), so no loss of function, and it should be fine sometime next week. The plan hasn't changed too much - on Wednesday I'll do a tester run, see how it goes and then slowly ramp back up (and then ramp back down again before the marathon!). I have some heel drops and a few other exercises to try out (no stretches) and I'll be giving the elliptical a go in the gym.

The injury was possibly self-inflicted - I did 15 miles with 10@MP last week in brand new runners. This coupled with being in the middle of relatively high milage could've been too much for me poor auld leg.

Thanks all for the good wishes. I'm feeling pretty positive about it right now - not exactly ideal prep, but I haven't thrown out my original target (yet). Thinking of going rock climbing and buying a bar of soap for the shower...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

That's great to get some positive news. Now stick diligently to the rehab plan and hopefully I will see you at the start line on the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great news:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good to hear that it's not to serious. Keep to the recovery plan and don't rush anything... You'll be tip top for the 30th I'm sure 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Good to hear that it's not to serious. Keep to the recovery plan and don't rush anything... You'll be tip top for the 30th I'm sure 😊

+1 to this. Easy does it over the next couple of weeks to give you a chance of maximise your effort over this training cycle. No need for putting your body under any more pressure between now and 30th just do the rehab and keep things ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great news! Now you have your second chance, be sensible for the next two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Nice result Brian. Keep the focus for the 30th. Rock climbing and calves!!! send the kids and grab a coffee:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great stuff B take it handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Delighted to read that B . Take it handy .

This is now one of those running logs where there's not much running.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    12th October|3.7 miles|8'29|Aborted run commute.

Total: 3.7 miles

:(

There have been some non-running activities!

Date|Notes
    12th October|45 minutes on a gym bike
    13th October|Visiting a physio, following by a few beers and feeling sorry for myself.
    14th October|About 10k on a Dublin Bike to/from Myles, where I got even more physio work done!
    15th October|2 hours on an elliptical machine in the gym.
    16th October|1 hour on a gym bike.

The calf pain is still there, though I think it's getting a little better... or maybe I'm just getting used to it :rolleyes:

The plan for this week is probably some more gym stuff, a tester run on Wednesday, physio on Thursday and wing it from there :) - hard to commit to anything more really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You deserve a medal for the 2 hours on the elliptical.:p

Murph_D wrote: »
    You deserve a medal for the 2 hours on the elliptical.:p

It wasn't exactly the most exciting Saturday night I've ever had, but it wasn't as boring as it could've been. I watched "The Barkley Marathons" documentary on Netflix while elipticalling away, which is well worth a look. The race itself looks like complete lunacy, and the documentary itself was well put together.

The other thing I did to avoid dying of boredom was to judge other people in the gym... a lot of folks go to the gym and not actually do much work, like spending almost as much time adjusting the seat on a bike as being actually on the bike! Anyway, I'll stop being bitter and injured soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

You'll fly it and the next thing you know cross training tapers will be all the rage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Singer wrote: »

The other thing I did to avoid dying of boredom was to judge other people in the gym... a lot of folks go to the gym and not actually do much work, like spending almost as much time adjusting the seat on a bike as being actually on the bike! Anyway, I'll stop being bitter and injured soon :)

that's the whole point of a gym! hope the injury clears up before you go mad altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Singer wrote: »
    The plan for this week is probably some more gym stuff, a tester run on Wednesday, physio on Thursday and wing it from there :) - hard to commit to anything more really.

I hope that no news is good news.

jake1970 wrote: »
    I hope that no news is good news.

It is! The folks on Strava have already had some spoilers :)

On Wednesday I did 3 and a bit miles, calf was slightly sore, but was fine, and no problems after. Yesterday I went to the physio again which went well, and then did a glorious run commute home. It's still not perfect - the entire calf feels a little tight and sore when running, but there's no localised sharp pain where the injury was. And just like in the 3/4, the calf soreness pretty much went away after 4 or 5 miles running on it.

So here's my plan for the next 9 days based on my bastardised version of the meno plan. This weekend I was going to have a decent go at a parkrun, but I'll just do some MP miles instead (more chance of getting carried away at the parkrun if I do the MP miles there!). On Sunday I was going to do 13... but not bothered if I do a little less. Obviously if the pain starts getting worse again I'll take more rest.

Day|Run
    Friday|Rest
    Saturday|6 with 4@MP
    Sunday|13 easy (maybe just do 10...)
    Monday|Recovery 5
    Tuesday|Rest
    Wednesday|5 with 3@MP
    Thursday|Recovery 5
    Friday|Rest
    Saturday|2 or 3 easy with strides
    Sunday|26.2@MP :)

So that's the injury and plan sorted. Now the elephant in the room my brain is my target time :)

Reasons why I should go for 3:09:59.99:
    • My MP miles ended up being around 7'15 or slightly under in my last workouts
    • I did a 3/4 marathon at 7'30 (using race distance + chip time, not strava pace) comfortably enough at the end of a 90 mile week (and with a sore calf!)
    • Various race results predictors are well under 3:10
    • The good races this summer (i.e not Frank Duffy) have all been a little faster than the race pace workouts I did before each race - I think I race better than I train.
    • Other than my calf, every niggle has magically healed - the power of rest!
    • Speaking of, running rested over the last couple of days has felt awesome, I feel in good shape.
    • My training definitely had a lot of junk miles.
    • Running with a pace group for an amount of the race should make it easier, especially the last few miles.
    • The 9 20+ mile runs should count for something :)
    • A break from running could have actually been a net benefit.
    • YOLO

Reasons why I should just go for 3:1x
    • 10 days or so without running a couple of weeks out from the marathon, probable loss of fitness.
    • Lack of recent MP miles, running at MP might feel harder than expected
    • The terrible memories of blowing up last year.
    • I actually need to go a bit faster than 7'15 to come in under 3:09:59
    • Maybe my calf will get very sore.
    • I followed a fairly light plan in terms of workouts.
    • Dublin's a tougher course compared to where I did my training.
    • The weather could be bad anyway.

As always, comments and suggestions welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Great to see you back at it B, the more experienced will offer better advice but you don't need to decide yet surely? See how the next few days go and whether the 13 at the weekend is okay and then look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Glad to see you back running, B! Can't give you any advice but maybe just see how you feel on the day? Although if you read through your own post you'll notice the second lot of bullet points has a lot of 'might, maybe, probably's' that your first lot doesn't have. I think you've subconsciously already decided. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Great to hear the calf is on the mend.

As Firedance said, I'm sure the more experienced will have better advice, but if you blew up last year, I wonder if aiming for a conservative 3:1x and finishing strong might be worth more to you this time around?

Especially given that this is surely just a stepping stone to a YOLO sub-3 attempt next year anyway! :)

Firedance wrote: »
    Great to see you back at it B, the more experienced will offer better advice but you don't need to decide yet surely? See how the next few days go and whether the 13 at the weekend is okay and then look at it?

I'm not sure how much I'll learn over the next few days really, there's really nothing too taxing and I'm very rested (I feel like a coiled spring right now). Maybe swapping the longer run for something with more MP (10 with 5?) could be of use - the lack of very recent MP miles is more bothersome to me than not having a longer run in the bag, if that makes sense.
    Glad to see you back running, B! Can't give you any advice but maybe just see how you feel on the day? Although if you read through your own post you'll notice the second lot of bullet points has a lot of 'might, maybe, probably's' that your first lot doesn't have. I think you've subconsciously already decided. :P

Even if I was in perfect shape I'll be very much seeing how it goes on the day - running a good race (negative split or pretty close) is my B goal, I don't want things to go to sh*t on the day. And yeh, good observation - I guess I'm psyching myself up for going for my A goal on the day, this is all part of the process, even if it doesn't happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Only catching up now:
    ssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

ssssssssssssss ssssss

TL/DR

So in a nutshell:
    Sorry :eek:
    Great news :D
    Good luck! :cool:

- Look, you're in a win-win situation: you go for it (as you said, you probably will) and pull it off, big yay.
    - You go for it, don't pull it off cos of fitness or injury exacerbation (least desirable outcome) you'll still win because sometimes the most effective lessons you learn are the ones learnt via things going wrong.

So either way, you'll be a better runner after the 30th; physically and/or mentally. Preferably both! You absolutely love to run, fast and long. Your love of running shines through and this is just another step in your journey. Make sure to listen to your body every step of the way though, ok?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

3:1x to halfway then push on for a 3:09:59.99 finish. Then recovery followed by base building for your sub 3 attempt in Berlin next year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I wouldn't be a million miles behind you in terms of goals, past experiences etc. My take for this race is that I'm going to be a little more conservative in my goal because I blew up badly last year. I'm confident of maintaining my current trajectory into next year and running some big PBs but finishing a Marathon strong is paramount to me right now. I could conceivably chase a 3:15 or lower but the risk of blowing up again would be too high for me. Even if I don't hit my A goal (sub 3:20) but finish relatively strongly I'll be happy with that, rather then getting a similar PB but fading badly. You've the training done, most of your intermediate goals hit, you're probably going to improve on whatever time you set at DCM in your next (Spring?) Marathon.......decisions decisions :)

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Only catching up now:
    ssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

ssssssssssssss ssssss

399760.png

tl;dr You've... turned into a snake? :confused::pac:

Anyway, I love the positive attitude. I think it makes a difference. Thanks :)

Advertisement