Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good run B. A lot of people seemed to have leaked some time on that 4th mile. Congrats on the PB, well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well at least you were still able to smile, you didn't look like you were suffering. Well done.

A club-mate emailed to say thanks stewarding and sorry for being a bad participant as he also got a roar and praise. I was certainly consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Humblest apologies B, but you didn't need my good luck in the end!!! Very well done on the new PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent stuff B, well done on the pb and nice to catch up with you and meet your wife. I spotted you in some of the finishing straight pics, maximum effort there second only to the grimace of FBOT of the people I recognised from the ones I saw! Good luck next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done B, congrats on the PB, I actually saw you in the hall but was on a very tight schedule, so sorry I didn't get to chat!

I saw you from afar, but it was so busy! I had to run off for a family do so wasn't there as long as I wanted.
    Well done. 2 PBs for the year already!

Thanks - it's good being back on the PB train (even if they are a few soft ones :) ). I ran the first 5 miles in the Fingal 10k 2 seconds faster than the 5 miles yesterday, so plenty of room for improvement.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Excellent stuff B, well done on the pb and nice to catch up with you and meet your wife. I spotted you in some of the finishing straight pics, maximum effort there second only to the grimace of FBOT of the people I recognised from the ones I saw! Good luck next weekend!

Pretty gross pictures of me alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done Brian. Another very humble but honest pb. Fingal is nicely placed in the season whereas most are just dusting themselves down from Christmas for Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

How's the cold? Good luck tomorrow, hope it goes well whatever way you decide to run it.

How's the cold? Good luck tomorrow, hope it goes well whatever way you decide to run it.

Thanks! It's still bad, and my sleep has been awful over the last few days too. Is that enough sandbagging? :pac:

I'd be very silly to race it tomorrow. Definitely not going to. Yep, no second thoughts. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the mudfields of Swords tomorrow, and maybe see you in Trim shortly afterwards :)

Shame to hear your laid up B, look after the dose, more important getting over that correctly than racing.

tang1 wrote: »
    Shame to hear your laid up B, look after the dose, more important getting over that correctly than racing.

Of course he listened didn't he.....:D well done today B, even though I missed you out on the course (cause you were going so fast!). Congrats on the PB!!!

• Advertisement

Of course he listened didn't he.....:D well done today B, even though I missed you out on the course (cause you were going so fast!). Congrats on the PB!!!

Haha. Well, I guess I partially got over the dose. I took two days off and didn't bother going out on Friday or Saturday. I was feeling pretty bad for most of Saturday, but started to perk up a bit later in the evening. When I was going to bed the mind started idly wandering to how I could race it if I was feeling this good in the morning...

I was definitely still feeling the effects of the cold in the morning, but it hadn't gotten worse at all. However it felt good not having the pressure of expecting to run an all-out race, and I was relaxed and in good form for the drive down and getting ready around Trim. The weather was near perfect for this time of the year - cold though not bitterly so, a warming sun shining down and not much of a breeze. I decided to head to around the 7 minute mile starting area, and placed myself a couple of rows behind the 70 minute pacers.

Trim 10 mile race report

Easing into it (6:51, 6:53, 6:50, 6:50)

After a slow enough start and typical scramble as faster and slower runners try and get into their stride, I caught up with the first 70 minute pacer about half a mile. I wasn't worried at all about the start as I was relaxed and not being miserly about the seconds lost. I felt totally fine and it didn't feel like I was working for the first few miles. The first pacer very usefully gave a description of the course as we were running along, somewhere around the start of the 3rd mile I decided to push out of the group. Around mile 4 or so I caught up with the second 70 minute pacer, who I think was going way too fast.

Decisions, decisions... (7:03, 6:43, 6:56)

At around the 5th mile I was running near a Raheny gent who was struggling a bit, and a supporter shouted at him that he should stop. When I caught up with him his nose was leaking a good bit a blood and I suggested he pull over and take a break. He replied along the lines that it was his first long run of the year (so the nosebleed was expected?!), maybe he wasn't aware of the extent of the blood on his face. I was a little weirded out by that but I didn't drop pace too much. I knew thanks to the pacer that the 5th mile had a bit of a climb, so I was happy to keep effort steady enough here and get through the biggest climb of the day unscathed.

It was around now that I had to decide whether to go for a PB or not. I went past the 5 mile marker at 34:2x, so it was definitely still in play, but I would need to negative split and work for it. Of course I decided to go for it, was there ever any doubt? :pac: :rolleyes:

I stepped up the pace for the 6th mile, there started to be a bit of a wind in the face here and the course got bumpier which explains the slower 7th mile.

Actually working for it (6:38, 6:38, 6:37)

Around the 7th mile I knew I was definitely in "nearing the end of the race" mode and things became a lot less relaxed. It did help that I was scything through the field (well, I slowly but consistently past a bunch of runners, it wasn't like I was sprinting past them). I was feeling quite warm and the discomfort levels were rising. I tried to figure out what time I needed to be at mile 8 at for sub-1:08 to be in play... this took some time as these things tend to do at this stage in a race :) I went past the mile 8 marker at 54:30, so two 6:45s would do it. Game on!

Nothing too interesting about the 9th mile, effort levels continuing to rise but not worried. Mile 10 had a sneaky hill at the start, and things started to get very tough. I lost a couple of places to some folks who were around me, but I was keeping pace reasonably well. My breathing got a little difficult at times and my legs were starting to feel stiff. Nothing to be worried about, standard end of race stuff. I kept my head down and was delighted to see the wonderfully mundane industrial estate come into sight. Turned the corner and I had two minutes to get to the other end up the damn place. I tried to push though there really wasn't much left, and as with all good races I was delighted to not be running any more once I finished!

Overall: 1:07:46

Very happy with that. I took a bit of a gamble and it paid off. I did however race it somewhat sensibly, running my first ever negative split along the way (55 seconds or so) :) and a 24 second PB over Frank Duffy back in August. However just like last week in Raheny, I ran the first 10 miles of the half-marathon in September a bit faster than today, so while it's technically a race PB I have a good bit of catching up to do to get back to where I was.

After the race I caught up with some of the usual suspects... namely tang, yaboya, fbot and AGYR. My stomach was in ribbons afterwards for some reason, and a pint and a club sandwich on the way home didn't really help.

Now for the boring rest of the week...

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    30th January|9.6 miles|9:18|Very achey run home the day after Raheny.
    31st January|5.8 miles|8:00|Mindless run around D2/D4 before a work event. I was talking at it, so this was mostly to calm the nerves!
    1st February|9.6 miles|8:38|Easy commute home
    2nd February|9.2 miles|8:45|I woke up with a cold, and there was a mad gale outside so I was expecting this to be a slogfest. The wind was behind me though, and the cold didn't make things too bad.
    5th February|11.9 miles|?|10 mile race with some warm-up and cool-down.

Total: 46.3 miles

January total: 257 miles

Next week: No racing!!! That's three weeks in a row. Probably all easy until the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Congrats on another pb.
    You need to start enjoying these as it won't be too long in the future where they become far more difficult to beat.

p.s. Where did you go after the race? Never saw you in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic! You just keep getting faster.

Must try and catch one of those PB colds!!! Well done today B, great result from someone not at 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Nicely done. Well run and great pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on PB, with plenty more to come by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

What, another PB? One a week on this log!! Well done again.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Congrats on another pb.
    You need to start enjoying these as it won't be too long in the future where they become far more difficult to beat.

p.s. Where did you go after the race? Never saw you in the hall.

Cheers P. Unfortunately I had gotten a lift down to Trim with some work colleagues, and they preferred to grab lunch over heading down to the hall.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Fantastic! You just keep getting faster.

Thanks!
    tang1 wrote: »
    Must try and catch one of those PB colds!!! Well done today B, great result from someone not at 100%.

Cheers. Target time before the cold was sub 67:30, so not too far off. I probably would have paced badly too :)
    Nicely done. Well run and great pacing.

Thanks!
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done on PB, with plenty more to come by the sounds of it.

Cheers G.
    annapr wrote: »
    What, another PB? One a week on this log!! Well done again.

Ta. That's me off the PB train for a while I reckon, unless I start showing up at some unusual race lengths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Singer wrote: »

Ta. That's me off the PB train for a while I reckon, unless I start showing up at some unusual race lengths :)

5 miles, 10 miles....anyone know if there's a 15 or 20 mile next week? :D

Another fine result, especially since you weren't 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the PB that was a very sensibly run race. Remember that for your next race!! Sorry i didn't get to catch up. You were long gone by the time i got to the finish..

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB that was a very sensibly run race. Remember that for your next race!! Sorry i didn't get to catch up. You were long gone by the time i got to the finish..

I saw you just before the finish, I hung around for a bit and did a small bit of supporting... You looked pretty comfortable, unsurprisingly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great going today, B. FairPlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Another race in 2017 and another PB. Well done B!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Nice pacing there and good finish, well done on the racing PB....good start to the year for you. What's the next target race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

You're getting as bad as Diegob lashing out all these pbs and with a cold .... congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Well done B very comfortable PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Congrats, nice negative split!

A very decent week, recovered from Trim reasonably quickly and got some quality running in.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    6th February|9.1 miles|9:22|Recovery commute, Trim definitely in the legs.
    7th February|10 miles|8:18|Commute home, was feeling great when I headed out but tired after a few miles and ended up being a bit of a slog.
    8th February|8.8 miles|7:48|LT session, 3 x 10 mins (6:38, 6:36, 6:30). First one was the hardest, the other two felt like cruising along. Happy with that.
    9th February|10.2 miles|8:47|Another wonky commute, felt hungry and weak for most of it. Hangover from the session? Not eating enough in work?
    11th February|6.4 miles|8:55|Toddled down to the River Valley parkrun hill and did 10 x 30 second sprints up the damn thing.
    12th February|15.6 miles|7:48|My first proper long run in what feels like ages! Definitely on the steadier side of pacing, though running into the wind in the second half upped the effort levels a good bit.

Total: 60.3 miles

Next week: Same again.

So... 2017. Just like HBS, I've been thinking about what the rest of 2017 looks like.

My medium term-plan is to have a go at a sub-3 marathon. Cliched, I know, but it's a *really* round number :) Ambition can be a healthy thing.

Right now I think I'll possibly have a go at it in 2018. I was probably in low 3:1x form last year, so presuming I continue to improve and train harder and smarter (more so the latter) it's not completely outrageous to have a go at it this year. I'd prefer to be pretty comfortable when going for it (i.e. training for 2:5X) and that's very far away right now.

However what I don't want this year is the intensity of 2016. All of last year was spent building up to DCM, and it was ultimately a washout. Not only did I have a bad day, but it was pretty life-dominating at times. This year will involve resting one day a week (!), 3 run-commutes, 1 mid-week workout, a long run at the weekend and maybe something decent on the Saturday if I can fit it in. I think consistency here will allow me to improve and setup a good platform for an assault (or two) on the marathon in 2018.

The big question is should I do a marathon in 2017? I think I did benefit from the marathon training over the last two years, and the rule of specificity implies that I should do one this year to have a good go at it next year. Maybe I should just sign up for Dublin, and get a decent performance there out of my system. But it's also attractive to just feck off to Iberia in November and experience a nice foreign marathon. Porto (I've already done a race there, on the marathon course!), Valencia and San Sebastian all look interesting. Maybe running somewhere else would take some pressure off and allow me to enjoy it. I also wouldn't mind giving the DCM half a good crack this year as it's roughly in my neck of the woods, however a lesson learned last year was that racing the DCM half is not a good plan that close to a marathon. Also if I'm doing an Iberian 26.2, maybe I could do a "kinger" and do DCM as a training run :)

Of course some stupid injury could wreck any or all plans, but right now here's what my racing plan tentatively looks like:

Month|Race
    March|MSB 5k
    April|K Club 10k
    May| ?
    June|Dunshaughlin 10k
    July |Docklands 5k/Fingal 10k (family holiday may interfere here)
    August|Frank Duffy
    September|DCM HM
    October|DCM???
    November|Porto? San Sebastian? Valencia?
    December|Jingle Bells!

• Advertisement

I know I'm wasting my breath entirely but how about concentrating on the shorter stuff this year, give your body a bit of a break from marathon training and then return to it fresh next year?

Advertisement