Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow B, go hard or go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

PB all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck B :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Best of luck B :)
    diego_b wrote: »
    PB all the way!
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow B, go hard or go home.
    Good luck tomorrow - enjoy!
    denis b wrote: »
    Best of luck B on what is fast becoming an annual event for you.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best luck B, have a good one.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, B. Have a good one and ENJOY!!!
    tang1 wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow B, give it welly!!!

Thanks gang :)

Not much chance of a PB unless some sort of massive giant seismic event happens between now and noon making it a dramatically net downhill course! Still planning to go all out though :) (that smile is to distract me from thinking ahead to how I'll feel in the second half of the race... damn 5ks).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Best of luck today B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Best of luck today B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Good luck today B, hope you'll be finished in less than 15 mins from now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hope it went well. Was standing at 1k mark then at 2nd last bend but managed to miss you yet again. Do you run in disguise or what? :p

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hope it went well. Was standing at 1k mark then at 2nd last bend but managed to miss you yet again. Do you run in disguise or what? :p

I saw you both times - at the 1k mark I'd just pulled ahead of Helen and yourself and Aoife were giving her a shout so I just ploughed on, at the 2nd last bend I was where one should be at this stage of a 5k race so I just about had enough spare energy to give you a unrequited nod :)

MSB 5k Race Report (20:15)

Oh dear, this was very disappointing. 43 seconds worse than this race last year, and 90 seconds worse than my 5k PB. Thing was, I didn't think it was a terrible performance until near the end, though I knew the conditions were tough. I started about 15 or so rows back from the start, crossing the line with 8 seconds on the clock. Things opened up reasonably quickly on the wide streets at the start and by the first time I glanced at my watch I was doing around 3:50 pace which was fine. Once we started approaching Leeson St. the wind picked up, and things quickly became a game of cowering behind anything moving to not be battered. I took my turn, of course, though the field was pretty fluid especially as generally I was moving my way up through it until the 4th km or so. Along the canal was really tough, just trying to survive and not be blown over. I started losing a few places once back on Baggot St., I tried to keep things going but my energy was sapped from the wind and I felt like I was jogging in the last km. Checking my watch turning onto St. Stephen's Green and realising that sub-20 was out of reach wasn't great fun.

Km Splits: 3:46, 4:00, 3:59, 4:08, 3:56, 0:24s (I guess my GPS was going crazy :( )

So a poxy time, though it seems like a few others suffered out there too. I guess the glory of 5ks is that I'm probably already recovered :)
    The rest of the week was spent (successfully?) getting over whatever was ailing me last week and tapering for the 5k.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    13th March|4.3 miles|9:07|Shorter recovery miles to the bus
    14th March|10.2 miles|8:29|A better run commute
    16th March|10 miles|8:08|A really enjoyable faster run home, first one in ages.
    17th March|5.4 miles|8:28|Some nice miles around the Fingal 10k course, though compromised by the wind
    19th Match|4.7 miles|?|Warm up and a sh1te 5k

Total: 34.8 miles
    Next week: Back to normality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Terrible weather conditions not a terrible performance. Sounds like an excellent run despite the strong winds.

gramar wrote: »
    Terrible weather conditions not a terrible performance. Sounds like an excellent run despite the strong winds.

Thanks! I'm not mad depressed about it, just a poor time on a bad day. I'm sure I'll make amends at a parkrun soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

S*it, sorry for missing you, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

It is only a 5k but another week recovery might be a good idea rather than ramping the mileage right back up? Unless you feel that mystery illness is well behind you?

A week of two halves. Felt a little wonky at the start of the week (mystery ailment strikes again), but I took a day off and ending up having an ok weekend. At some stage during the week I accidentally recorded a few miles on a bus or something, so going into the weekend I thought I had to run less miles to reach the entirely arbitrary 60 mile a week target. I figured this out this morning just before heading out on the long run, so I decided I'd extend it a bit to make up the miles if I was feeling ok. I felt a little tired going out - the previous day's running was done late on in the evening, and I did a barely worth mentioning junior parkrun with the 6 year old before heading out (17:45, a 30 second PB :) ), so took it easy enough on the long run, and made it a bit more interesting by running on the beach in Portmarnock, taking in the lovely sunny spring day. I haven't done anything over two hours since the 3/4 marathon, and predictably things got a good bit tougher around 2:10 in and I slowed down a lot. It also didn't help that I was running in the previously mentioned sun and hadn't brought any water or anything. Feeling a little stiff, slow and thirsty all day as a result, but I met the 60 mile goal!

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    20th March|10.2 miles|9:09|Recovery, didn't really feel the previous day's race in the legs.
    21st March|10.1 miles|8:33|Meh commute, slowed down.
    22nd March|6 miles|8:41|A few easy after work before heading out to see Ride
    24th March|9 miles|8:02|Commute with a few faster miles at the end.
    25th March|6.6 miles|7:42|Steady out to Malahide and back.
    26th March|17.8 miles|8:27|Previously mentioned long run

Total: 60 miles (and a 2k junior parkrun)
    Next week: More of the same...

This was nearly a good week, but a niggle has escalated a bit :eek: so I'm resting it until it has denigglised :mad:

My general recovery from whatever lurgy was afflicting me has continued well. I got in a tempo session on Wednesday, and got the opportunity to hit up a parkrun, so I jogged over to Malahide on Saturday morning. I met Helen from these parts before the start and had a brief chat. The run itself went well, I didn't speed off at the start and made my way up through the field a little. I passed the half-way marker at 09:58 or so and figured I'd need to bank a little time to allow for the extra bit of uphill towards the finish so sped up a little. As ever in Malahide my Garmin was useless most of the times, you'd be better off bringing along a sextant and triangulating your position using the location of stars than relying on consumer grade GPS device when in the Malahide Castle forest. I slowed down a little somewhere around 3.5k, but surprisingly recovered well and was feeling strong in the bit before heading up the hill towards the finish. I looked at my watch here, discarded the distance it was telling me that I'd run and figured if I finished well I'd hit my target, so I pushed on, finishing in 19:38 (a parkrun PB!).

However, the niggle. My legs were moaning all week after the slightly longer than usual long run last week, particularly my left groin area was a little tight, but it kind of went away. On Thursday during a recovery run the day after the tempo session it was quite stiff but got better as the run went on. It had cleared up by the parkrun, but afterwards escalated to kind of throbbing all day, and this continued on Sunday. I only really accepted that I shouldn't run on the damn thing 30 minutes before I was going to go out on it. I think it's similar to groin injury I got last May, also in the left leg. A week off cured it back then, but I think I caught it earlier (or rather, accepted that something is up and I needed to do something about it sooner), so maybe I'll be back out before then.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    27th March|10.1 miles|9:19|Recovery commute home
    28th March|10.1 miles|8:21|Decent commute home
    29th March|9.3 miles|?|w/u, 3x10mins tempo (6:38, 6:40, 6:36), c/d
    30th March|7.7 miles|9:09|Recovery around town
    1st April|8.7 miles|?|Jog to/from Malahide, and Malahide parkrun

Total: 46.2 miles

March total: 236 miles

Next week: Probably not much.

This week I kept convincing myself to continue resting my leg so as to not anger the niggle angels and injury gods. It stopped throbbing or being tight on around Wednesday or so, and maybe I should have got back out on Friday or Saturday, but I picked up a cold (and a couple of hangovers) so I convinced myself that another couple of days off was the best thing for long term recovery :rolleyes: I guess the calf woes at the end of last year influenced how I now think about injuries and niggles, I was completely at ease with taking time off and wasn't getting crazily anxious about lost fitness.

So, just the one run this week, a fun trot out to Malahide.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    9th April|8.1 miles|7:45|Very rested, so this felt pretty damn easy

Total: 8.1 miles :rolleyes:
    Next week: Get back into the swing of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Just an observation and I know it goes part & parcel with being a parent to young kids, but you pick up an awful lot of colds B. Maybe something you could add to your diet to prevent same?

tang1 wrote: »
    Just an observation and I know it goes part & parcel with being a parent to young kids, but you pick up an awful lot of colds B. Maybe something you could add to your diet to prevent same?

I didn't see this 'til now, and I think you're onto something (even though you're not around to read it :P ). The damn things hang around for a good while too, I'm still a bucket of snot right now. I did try getting obsessive with hand cleanser before the marathon last year (that didn't really work out) - I guess with small kids, using public transport every day (maybe I should run-commute both ways!) and working in busy open plan office I'm in close enough contact with a lot of possible sources. My mother always asks about my lungs and how they're holding up to the running, apparently I got a lot of chest infections as a kid, and the bout of pleurisy I got a couple of years ago spooked me a little and made me think my body's slowly falling apart as I get older. I could try using some voodoo like Echinacea and see how it goes. That or pick up sticks to live and train in isolation miles away from the children and job :)

I hit desired milage this week, though suffering from previously mentioned cold meant I didn't attempt anything fast. After Monday's run I felt like my left hip had been hit with a hammer. I took this very seriously and visited Dr. Google, who diagnosed bursitis which can be triggered by tight hamstrings (maybe I had hamstring and not groin pain the other week... I really don't know my anatomy) and old runners (I was using a year old pair, certainly over 800 miles in them). Thankfully the good doctor recommended a stretch 3 times a day and reckoned I didn't have to stop running (again). The stretch worked and the pain consistently got better. I had a crappy commute on Wednesday where I felt stiff, sore and slow, which I put down to the rest from the previous week dissapating and the cold causing some more fatigue, so I took Thursday off. I felt pretty damn good after the rest, though while keeping things easy. I finally got a decent run in today with a steady enough long run.

I also volunteered at River Valley parkrun for the first time (not counting pacing), which was very worthwhile. I was on token helper duties, though in reality myself and the token hander-outer shared the job, and I did some sorting at the end while things were getting closing down. The locally based Sloggers To Joggers created a good atmosphere at the finishing line as they had a bunch of new Couch to 5k folks trying out their first parkrun. The lady I was doing the tokens with had won entry to London so we chatted about that. Overall good fun, definitely a different perspective on the parkrun (I usually don't hang around for too long) and I felt just a tiny bit like I had given something back :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    April 10th|10 miles|8:09|Still feeling very rested, this run commute felt quite good (until afterwards)
    April 11th|10.2 miles|8:41|Taking it a good bit easier due to the sore hip and tight hamstring, but they didn't really pop up on the run.
    April 12th|9.8 miles|8:58|A very bad commute. Even resorted to trying some strides to snap me out of it, but they didn't really work. Blaming the cold for this.
    April 14th|9.1 miles|8:28|A morning commute, usually these feel tough but this felt grand! Happy to be over whatever was going on on Wednesday.
    April 15th|6.8 miles|8:51|Some easy jogging to and from Rivervalley parkrun (taking the scenic route home).
    April 16th|15 miles|7:47|Good long run, felt pretty good throughout, though the wind picked up in the last few miles on the coast and back to Swords I was able to up the effort and keep the pace even enough. Feeling unusually not tired afterwards.

Total: 61.1 miles
    Next week: Along the same lines but with a tempo run at some stage. Probably time to start thinking about targeting a summer race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You can't best volunteering at parkrun :) FWIW the recommend amount is once every 10 runs, I think I'm up to one run every 10 volunteer slots :p

What distance race are you thinking? Dunshaughlin is a great 10k if you're thinking along those lines.

You can't best volunteering at parkrun :) FWIW the recommend amount is once every 10 runs, I think I'm up to one run every 10 volunteer slots :p

What distance race are you thinking? Dunshaughlin is a great 10k if you're thinking along those lines.

I'm 2 for 14, so not the worst!
    http://www.parkrun.ie/results/athleteresultshistory/?athleteNumber=1156950

Dunshaughlin is definitely a possibility, 5k-10k is what I'll be looking at. I need to spend some time with a spreadsheet and work things out, I have a couple of trips abroad to factor in so it's a little messy. August and September will be aimed at the race series half. The later part of the year will be marathon training, though I still amn't sure how to approach that thing.

Not much to report on this week. I did a couple of doubles which are definitely easier on the body, that's about the level of excitement going on around here :)

Next week should be more interesting as I'm dusting off and de-mudding my trail runners and heading out to Howth for the IMRA race on Wednesday with a few work colleagues. Also, I'll be following the P&D Faster Road Running 5k plan between now and the Docklands 5k in July, with a few changes here and there to allow for the run commutes and some time being spent out of the country. The bit I'm really struggling with is coming to terms with how long the long run should be - they max out at 13 miles :eek:;)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    17th April|5.5 miles|8:43|Bank holiday recovery double part 1...
    17th April|5.6 miles|8:51|...and part 2
    18th April|10 miles|8:14|Run commute home
    19th April|10 miles|8:18|Run commute home with 10x30 second strides.
    20th April|4.3 miles|8:28|A few easy miles after work
    21st April|5.2 miles|8:06|Town to Beaumont...
    21st April|5 miles|8:10|...back to work
    23rd April|14 miles|7:52|Up early to get a longer run in, so I could let my better half out to do the Meet and Train 5k while I watched the London Marathon. Surprisingly not terrible for the time of day, it was a nice morning along the North County Dublin coast which helped.

Total: 59.8 miles (forgot about the .2 earlier...)
    Next week: IMRA running! Busy week too, so might have shorter runs here and there.

Singer wrote: »
    Next week should be more interesting as I'm dusting off and de-mudding my trail runners and heading out to Howth for the IMRA race on Wednesday with a few work colleagues.

Well Jel!!!! Enjoy that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Looking forward to seeing your "twist" of any plan B :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

denis b wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing your "twist" of any plan B :D.

"plan B" being the operative words? ;)

Maybe an idea to stick to the plan though, just to see where it takes you. :D The Faster Road Running plans are tough enough as they are, in my experience!

Wahoo the best part of the week - writing my training log update!

As threatened, I did the IMRA Howth race on Wednesday which was fabulously fun, though a bit uncomfortable. I headed out to Howth early enough after work, and got there quite early. I didn't eat a dinner, instead topping myself up on snacks, which in retrospect was a terrible plan. I met a couple of work colleagues a bit before the start and hung out with them, casually showing up to the race start in not a great starting position, near the back. Once things got underway I sliced through about half the field. The first km or so was up from Howth Castle to Deer Park Hotel, and then the course went behind there and started up some steps, at which stage things slowed down to a walk and overtaking became near impossible, though when the climb turned into a scramble up a rocky trail I managed to skip past a few here too. Finally we were at something close to a level surface and the speed slowly picked up again. I did try to occasionally look up and check out the views, but mostly I was petrified of stumbling so was just watching the terrain most of the time. There were a few ups and downs, followed by some steeper ups to the hills with the transmitters, and then swinging down onto a fun trail where the speed picked up a lot, and I took a few places again here. Not knowing the course I pushed myself a bit, before reaching the end of the trail and being directed back up the rock face for a second lap - argh! I tiredly scramble-plodded up the steep hill, possibly losing a few places. Recovery felt slow once things levelled off, though I was keeping pace with whoever was in front of me. My stomach went into ribbons around here, rejecting the sh1te food I'd stuffed into it, and I was reasonably uncomfortable and getting more tired. I stumbled pretty badly on a rocky trail heading up towards the transmitters again, but didn't quite come crashing down - I was finding it harder to concentrate on the surface and not dying with end of race tiredness and discomfort from the stomach both kicking in. The last mile was so much fun, even if I wasn't in a great way to enjoy it - leaping over and under fallen trees, jumping down sudden plunges, legging it at speed through a trail in an darkening forest... just fabulous, though I was a little slow here. Once we hit the paths near the back of Deer Park I knew we were on solid relatively flat ground at last and sped up a good bit, catching up with however was in front of me just as we got to the finish line. I finished in 50th position out of 179, which is a good bit better relatively speaking than my other IMRA race last year. I'm still very poor at climbing steep hills and going down chaotically steep downhills, but at least this year I had trail runners which felt great on all the different surfaces. Race tactics, starting position and pre-race food could be improved on a lot, but this was never an all out race, just a fun workout. My stomach was still in bits afterwards, I couldn't even finish a single of chips from Burdocks.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    24th April|4 miles|8:55|Out at 6:40AM on a Monday morning for a few miles... what have I become?
    24th April|3 miles|8:43|Heading out with work that evening, so squashed in a few miles in St. Stephen's Green in between meetings.
    25th April|9.2 miles|8:32|Feckin' freezing run commute home
    26th April|7.1 miles|?|IMRA Howth, with some warm-up and not much of a cool-down.
    27th April|9 miles|8:18|In Rathgar for some medical stuff, so joined the DCM route back to work. Roebuck seemed like a speedbump compared to Howth :)
    28th April|4.3 miles|8:53|Laughably sore all day from the run around Howth. This was a bit of a shuffle, but seemed to help.
    29th April|9.5 miles|7:35|LT interval session - 3x10 mins with 3 minutes recovery. Target pace was probably around 6:40, but ran by feel using previous sessions and ended up a good bit faster! (6:23, 6:23, 6:26). Lost a bit of concentration and seconds in the last one, but otherwise felt great!
    30th April|14 miles|7:58|Ok longer run in the damp afternoon. Tried to get into Series 3 of Serial again... got through episode 2 and 3. Not feeling it so far.

Total: 60.4 miles
    Next week: The 5k plan has some interesting sessions (5k effort reps up a hill, and some hills'n'strides)!

April total: 198 miles :( - no regrets about the week off though. I'm a bit behind my 3000 miles target for the year, but still plenty of time to go.

Well done in Howth! Are you planning to do the Wednesday summer league? I'd say they're fantastic training runs!

Well done in Howth! Are you planning to do the Wednesday summer league? I'd say they're fantastic training runs!

It'd be nice to get to one or two more over the summer, but that's all. They're a bit too good as training runs go, as in it takes me a few days to recover! Also not generally convenient transport wise, though I can occasionally bum a lift from work folks.

• Advertisement

Another decent week, 2 sessions and arbitrary milage target hit. I took a rest day on Wednesday as I was a little tired - just not in form for a session and it would have been late enough getting out (after 9), so I decided to have a good sleep instead. Things are just that exciting around here these days.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    1st May|10 miles|8:50|Slower miles up to and around Malahide early on
    2nd May|9.7 miles|8:10|Enjoyable commute home.
    4th May|11.1 miles|8:17|8 x 3 minutes uphill at 5k effort. This was pretty tough! It didn't help that I had some tummy woes. I was basically legging it up the hill from the Travelodge towards Airside and then turning into Airside for the last 30 seconds, which was directly into the very strong wind that night. It was supposed to be 7 reps but I mis-counted during the session.
    5th May|5.3 miles|8:54|Working from home, so some very easy miles around Swords in the morning...
    5th May|4.4 miles|8:51|...and some more in the evening
    6th May|6.5 miles|8:22|Another session! Dropped the 6 year old into speech and drama in Malahide and did this around Malahide before picking him up again. 6 short hill sprints - meant to be 12 seconds, but some of them were longer. First time ever doing short hill sprints like this, definitely not something I'm used to, though I was getting better at them as they went on. The second part of the session were 8 strides, I did 30 second strides, they felt relatively good after the hill sprints.
    7th May|13.5 miles|7:55|Decided to not get out during the heatwave earlier on, and did a very enjoyable balmy run out to the Costa Del Portmarnock and back in the late evening. Serial update: I listened to episode 4, it's (finally) getting interesting!

Total: 60.7 miles
    Next week: More of the same!

Advertisement