Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Younganne wrote: »
    Please don't ignore foot niggles, can turn into nasty things...maybe "Treat" yourself to a sports massage.:D

If I start getting sports massages or doing things like stretching now, I'll blame them if I get injured in the next two weeks. Trying to avoid new things between now and then :D

The niggles are pretty much gone, I think my strategy of writing about them and then ignoring them worked :) If I thought they were actual threats to DCM then I'd be taking them a lot more seriously!
    snailsong wrote: »
    Just catching up on your log, B. That's some serious milage there. I would have thought that recovery would be most beneficial over the last 2 weeks but what would I know. Seems like you're in great shape and mentally positive for Dublin.

Also interested that we have the same approach to niggles, just ignore them. Mixed outcomes here.

Thanks man! The niggles weren't that bad. I think we'll all have aches and pains from time to time. If you're a masters runner and want to run 7 days a week I think this kind of thing will happen regularly enough.

Two weeks and two sessions to go! :eek:

This week will include cutting back on meal portion sizes, junk food and alcohol. I've lost a little bit of weight since August, maybe a kilo or two and it'd be nice to not add it back on as the running volume drops. Still two decent sessions to get done but I'll be taking the volume down, replacing at least one commute with just a few miles. Also I plan to be cleaning my hands about 100 times a day and pointlessly spending a lot of time worrying about DCM weather.

This week had a slight drop in milage and two not amazing sessions. The strength session was only alright, with a poor last rep. The MP session felt like a bit of a slog despite it being a dress rehearsal and I was wearing a new pair of Nike's Next%. I kept the pace relatively conservative and wasn't in the mood to push things along, but I was happy to get it over and done with at an ok pace without heroics or having to dig deep. Given how went the two sessions, I probably was a bit overly fatigued this week, just in time for the taper to kick in :)

The dress rehearsal wasn't perfect. The Next%s didn't feel as good as the 4%s, a little lighter but the bounce didn't feel as present. They also felt a little tighter, and the right one ended up rubbing the back of my ankle which caused a bit of skin to be rubbed off. I could feel it as it was happening. I did wear a relatively thick pair of socks, so I'm going to try them out again with a more minimal pair of socks and tying the laces less tight. Worst case it's back to the 4%s. I ate one gel which went down alright, and carried 3 more gels and my phone in the bum pocket. It seemed to bounce around less once I was running at pace, and the gels should be lighter on the day, so I think the shorts passed the test.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    7th October|10 miles|9:00|A commute. I remember nothing about this.
    8th October|12.6 miles|?|Strength session at with the Cru in Irishtown... well, running on the same track and doing my own session. Felt ok at the start, but by the time the final rep came around I was feeling tired in the legs and wasn't in the mood to push for pace. 6:20, 6:21, 6:22, 6:34. I put it down to residual tiredness. The track was deserted for the last rep too, which didn't help my mood :) I was pretty cold by the time I got home even though I changed my t-shirt before getting on the bus.
    9th October|9.1 miles|9:00|Another commute, took the shorter route. Official start of the taper :) I wore a long-sleeve for the first time since last winter.
    10th October|9.1 miles|9:08|Another shorter commute, took it even easier too.
    11th October|14 miles|7:18|10@MP - 6:40, 6:36, 6:49 (dropped my phone, had to turn around and pick it up), 6:42, 6:43, 6:45, 6:47, 6:47, 6:42, 6:44.
    12th October|7 miles|9:00 or so|To and from volunteering at Rivervalley parkrun and did timekeeping for the first time. Jogged over while watching Kipchoge, which was amazing. Good chats with the Rivervalley gang as usual.
    13th October|13.4 miles|8:21|Nice jog out to Malahide when the rain started to clear up. Went exploring up a road that I'd never been up before and got some nice views of Dublin bay as a reward. Listened to Scullions two podcasts he got out on Saturday. I really hope he does Dublin and that it goes well for him.

Total: 75.5 miles

Next week: 6x1 mile on Tuesday, 10@MP on Thursday/Friday. Probably about 55-60 miles.

A good week with two good sessions and a good drop in milage. Starting to sh!t myself :)

I'm the lightest I've been in a long long time - 76.8 kg on Friday morning, compared to 82.0 kg when I got back from Barcelona in July and solidly around 84-83 in January. This week won't be about keeping the weight off as much, but I will be trying to keep it down a bit by cutting down on portion sizes, junk food etc. for most of the week.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    14th October|9 miles|8:53|Commute
    15th October|11.5 miles|?|The last of the strength sessions at Irishtown, and the end of running anti-socially :) Felt self-concious changing paces at different times than everybody else, and staying on the track for longer too. However the session went very well, legs already feeling the slightly lower milage and easier Sunday run: 6:12, 6:20, 6:19, 6:19, 6:19, 6:18
    16th October|5 miles|8:56|Half a commute. It's a real pain to get a bus from Santry to Swords, no wonder I used to hang around the computer labs late all the time when I was in DCU :)
    17th October|13.6 miles|7:01|I had Thursday afternoon free enough with work, so I decided to get the last session on the plan done on the marathon course itself. I was relaxed about pace, at this stage it doesn't matter *that* much to hit every split etc., and I'd be running it on some of the bumpier parts of the course, through traffic etc. I wore my new Vaporflys with a pair of lighter socks (the "free" ones available to runners this year) and they passed the test, both feeling good and with no rubbing. I jogged 2 miles to Manor St. then followed the DCM course until Kilmainham where I split off down towards St. James's as the traffic was looking too bothersome to get across and I didn't want to come to a complete stop on my last mile. The MP bits were: 6:46, 6:42, 6:41, 6:38, 6:42, 6:28, 6:40, 6:49, 6:48, 6:50. The paces in the last miles included going fairly slowly up the hills towards Inchicore etc. It got fairly windy and rainy at times too, so a nice test. Felt great at the end though it might have been the "I just finished the last session on the plan" glow :) I got to use the nice new showers in the office for the first time, which definitely make running and ending up in the office a more attractive affair (it was kind of grim before)
    18th October|5.1 miles|9:00|A lovely lunchtime run around town with murph_d! Another use of the nice new showers after.
    19th October|9.1 miles|?|Planned to just do a leisurely jog around Rivervalley parkrun, set off in the direction and met one of the faster lads from Rivervalley who I always chat with. He was running over to Malahide parkrun, so I joined him. We were a little late so ran quickly enough while chatting. The parkrun didn't start 9:38 in the end! It was pacer week and once it got started I ended up around the 21 minute pacers and was enjoying the run, so just kept at it, finishing in 20:46. Lots of fun but way off what I was supposed to be doing.
    20th October|7.8 miles|8:07|Decided to keep this one short enough because of the previous day's exertions. Beautiful morning and felt great. Did a nice run out to Malahide and back.

Total: 61.4 miles

Next week: Only the most important week of my running career... I need to write this down so I commit to it:

Monday: A final commute
    Tuesday: 2 x 8 mins@MP with the Cru. This session's always loads of fun, it feels like the last day of school with everybody in a good mood. I plan to make my "if you nail this session you'll nail the marathon" joke again. There's a marathon talk afterwards, so should be a nice social occasion.
    Wednesday: Day off? :confused:
    Thursday: 10k or so
    Friday: Was planning to just jog to the Expo and back from the work but I might have to work from home. Probably another 10k or so, maybe early in the morning.
    Saturday: 3 miles with some strides.
    Sunday: 26 miles @ MP, .2 @ 5k pace :D

Other than the running, writing a checklist of stuff. Toenail Tuesday, sourcing beetroot juice, buying gels, getting a haircut, etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

10k Thu & 10k Fri? Seems a bit excessive (although maybe I'm just comparing it to my previous tapers!)...is that in the plan?

healy1835 wrote: »
    10k Thu & 10k Fri? Seems a bit excessive (although maybe I'm just comparing it to my previous tapers!)...is that in the plan?

It actually is! (for once)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I was going to say good luck but nothing is down to luck.

Solid training so I hope you get the reward yo deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck for Sunday Brian, looking forward to seeing how you get on. It's been an excellent training cycle and you look to be in good form...hope you nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Singer wrote: »
    Other than the running, writing a checklist of stuff. Toenail Tuesday, sourcing beetroot juice, buying gels, getting a haircut, etc. etc. etc.

That’s some savage training. You look well set. On the beetroot juice, I picked some up in Health Matters on Grafton St yesterday. Organic stuff, it’s in the monthly special offers, only a few bottles left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Some great training done B- really interested to see how it goes for you.
    Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's a savage training block you've put in, unreal mileage. Hopefully it's yet another storming finish to a chunky negative split and a time that begins with a 2! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

That's some training you have done. I think you're going to have a great run on Sunday. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Have really enjoyed reading your log on here and looking at your training on Strava. You have an awesome block of mileage done and unreal paces to match.
    Have a great race on Sunday B.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Best of luck on Sunday. Your training has been bloody brilliant, looking forward to seeing how you get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

All the very best B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

All the best Sunday B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Have a brilliant day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Your training has been immense. Best of luck tomorrow!

Thank you all so much! I hit up the expo yesterday evening, was given my number and bag by volunteers who I knew which was a good buzz. Bought a few gels, did a couple of laps around but didn't see anybody else I knew around so split off quickly enough. I'm delighted that the race series has a race back in Swords next year, though it appears that the date clashes with the Women's Mini Marathon so will probably be changed.

Training wise, I don't think it could have gone any better really. Consistency and milage was great and although not every session was perfect the overall hit rate was good enough, and I was pushing the paces to ~2:55 most of the time. I think I'm in the shape of my life so I can't ask for better than that.

Goals for tomorrow :)

A goal: <2:59:59
    B goal: <2:59:59
    C goal: <2:59:59
    X goal: PB
    Y goal: Finish
    Z goal: Spend an afternoon in the pub

The race plan is simple: run a disciplined race. No miles under 7:00 until after Castleknock, get to halfway in around 1:30 and only then push on if I'm feeling good. "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" applies a lot to the marathon though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck on Sunday B. Your training, consistency and insane mileage has given you the best possible chance of not getting punched in the mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck Brian. You've given yourself a great shot at it. Hopefully will catch you afterwards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Yeah, great buzz at the expo yesterday!!

All the best for tomorrow B!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Definitely in sub 3 shape......smash it out the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Best of luck tomorrow B. You've really nailed the training and fingers crossed you hit at least your 'c' goal, if not 'b' or even 'a'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck tomorrow! You’ve been doing amazing training, all in the bank now. Looking forward to the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best B - might bump into you prior, definitely after. Run long and prosper!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sub 3 - careful now, McGrattans might put ye behind the bar for that.
    Run well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow with the sub 3 B.
    You can do this, you are "in the shape of your life".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

All the best today B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Boom!!! Well bloody done! 2:55 modified hansons. Awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fantastic B congratulations

Advertisement