Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Very nice job on the weight front, that's very good going. I like the simple plan for the race, a plan you can work with is always better than a plan that you fit in or will injure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Amazing job on the 10kg. I'm a little shy of it but its my target.

My fear is putting it back on. Maybe a 5k parkrun with a 10kg bag of spuds on my back will give me the reminder when I need it :-)

Looking forward to following your Boston progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Thanks for the weight kudos! My wife is a fan too :)

Anyway, as soon as I go on about consistency on the log I fell off the consistency wagon. I had some crappy news last Friday evening straight after coming in from a run (a good friend died), so hit the wine instead of the original plan of soberly going to bed and doing a parkrun. I didn't properly hydrate after the run which didn't help things. The middle of last week involved feeling pretty mopey and not motivated to get out running, and I'm sure it's completely coincidental that I ended up in the pub twice and at my first post-pandemic gig (Dry Cleaning in the TBMC, it was a bit weird but a good gig). The wobble is hopefully behind me, but I have a funeral to go to in London next week which will be hard to fit in runs around.

56 days to Boston! It'll be interesting anyway.

The week before last:

February 7th: 4.5 miles at 9:50 pace around Swords

February 8th: 6x5 minutes at HMP off 2 mins slower. Enjoyable session at Crusaders. Definitely prefer the longer reps. Around 7:05 pace for the HMP reps.

February 9th: 6.75 miles at 9:35 to/from Malahide

February 11th: 8.3 miles at 9:27, the weekly Beaver den to the Airport loop

February 13th: 10.3 miles at 8:17, increasingly regular Sunday morning run with one of the lads from Rivervalley parkrun. He's way faster than me and I really should be running longer, but this suits.

Total: 38.9 miles

February 14th: 9.1 miles at 9:34, a commute!

February 15th: Decided to do the speed session at the club as I'd missed parkrun. Wasn't feeling great and went off too fast, so this wasn't great at all. 400, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, 400 off 60, 90, <2mins. 1:27, 3:03, 4:50, 4:53, 3:13, 1:29. At least I got it together for the last 400.

February 19th: 6.6 miles at 9:16, actually more like 8, my stupid Apple Watch auto-paused twice. It's very convenient (I like it for work notifications, payments etc.) but it's a crap running watch. Running around Malahide Castle while the older kid was in speech and drama.

February 20th: 10 miles at 8:12 with your man again. What is the point of these runs?! Slower than MP, but first thing in the morning and usually hilly enough. Comfortable enough to chat the whole way though.

Total: 36 miles

Sorry to hear of your friend passing away B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Likewise, my condolences on your loss B.

• Advertisement

Ah the curse of writing about consistency on the log. Not only have I not been updating, I had another crappy week over the last month, unsurprisingly the week I had to travel over to London for my mate's funeral. I caught a cold over there (a zillion antigens and a PCR all reckoned it wasn't Covid, but who knows) so was feeling emotionally and physically like crap and so didn't really get out the door much. Other than that some ok signs of improvement running-wise, however my weight loss has stopped at this point, and I am increasingly starting to worry about Boston, so I am going to deploy two super-weapons: 1. run a small bit more 2. stop drinking alcohol. I woke up on March 18th with a decent hangover and thinking about it being exactly a month to Boston, so it's a nice round number to be on the dry for. Sobriety definitely makes it easier to run more consistently and longer too, and also I really don't want to get Covid between now and then, alcohol doesn't tend to help there either.

Week Feb 21 - 27:

Did the marathon session with the Cru on Tuesday, 6 x 5 mins @ HMP off 2 mins slower which went well, paces were on average slightly over 7:00 for the splits. Did a double on Thursday, I had a day off work and I went out in the morning, but turned around having remembered a meeting that I had to go to. So went out again in the evening to bring it to over 10 miles for the day. I got out to Rivervalley parkrun, which was a hungover 22:24. Sunday was a long-ish run of 12+ miles at a decent pace (8:13/mile) with a running pal.

Total: 54.4 miles, 7 days running, not terrible.

Week Feb 28 - Mar 6

Did half an hour or so at 6AM before heading to the airport, then just a couple of runs before taking a few days off. On Sunday the younger kid was up in the Wicklow mountains around Djouce with the beavers, so I jogged/explored/hiked directionlessly around the place. Got stuck on a couple of terrible trails, but also happened across Powerscourt which was splendid in nice weather. 2 hours on my feet and nice to do something a bit different. It was my first time doing anything trail-ish since my MCL catastrophe, the knee itself hasn't had any problems in months now, so I'm taking that as a green light to do some more off-road type stuff.

Total: 24.4 miles... just 4 days running.

Week Mar 7 - 13

Did the speed session with the Cru as the marathoners were off running in Malta that weekend, also probably a better one to do to keep some speed in the legs. 12 x 400 off 45s, which ranged from 1:35-1:30. Not the best but that's what you get for not running. Couldn't do parkrun as the younger kid was playing GAA, so explored the national sports campus while that was on. The highlight of the week was driving over to Bayside and doing a couple of ascents of Howth as part of a HM distance run while thinking about the Boston hills :)

Total: 52.5 miles, 7 days running.

Week Mar 14 - 20

Cru session was good this week, back to the marathon gang, though I ended up running on my own for this pretty much. The session was a "ladder fartlek" of 3, 4, 6, 8, 6, 4, 3 mins@HM pace off 1 min slower, totally comfortable and just over 7/min miles for the splits. I decided to give Malahide parkrun a good go, wearing my fancy shoes and listening to the new Arcade Fire track on repeat on the way over. The run itself was great, chasing down folks throughout, finishing close to all-out in 20:24, nearly a minute off my post-pandemic 5k best time (though not that much faster than Raheny). Sunday's run was another fast-ish one with a couple of lads from parkrun, a hilly-ish 13.8 miles at 8:20 pace.

Total: 56.5 miles, 7 days running

Sorry to hear about your friend B.

A good week even if I do say so myself. Three weeks and a day out to Boston, so trying to throw myself into the marathon mines. This week was the highest mileage since January 2020 and the body is holding up well. Maybe my biggest problem right now is my feet are in bits, a good few blisters and my nails could be in better condition. Nothing sore or anything but they look like crap. Has anybody ever gone to a podiatrist for feet maintenance? I guess I could do it myself but I am a very lazy person. I got a load of blisters recently from some Adidas Adistar runners I picked up on a whim recently that look great but unfortunately rub my feet up the wrong way despite seeming to fit pretty well and are now relegated to walking.

Tuesday's club session at Crusaders was good, it was the same as last week's HM paced ladder of 3,4,6,8,6,4,3 minutes with a slower minute in between reps. First couple of reps were fast as I had my watch in kms from the previous week's parkrun and forgot to switch back to miles and I didn't know what exactly what I should be running in kms, but thankfully I was able to switch mid-session. If I ever design a running watch it will have 3 buttons - stop/start, lap and km/mile switcher. I was feeling a bit bloated having eaten a big lunch at work followed by a second lunch/early dinner before training and got a bit of a stitch towards the end. Average paces were around 6:53 and I naughtily did a fast one to finish (like 6:34 pace).

On Saturday I was in St. Annes for the younger kid's GAA match with the unfortunate start time of 10.30, so not much chance of parkrun. I decided to do a speed session and did 6x800 off 400m jog on the avenue. I was targeting sub-20 paces and it definitely felt tough, hopefully thanks to the increase in mileage. Pretty wrecked by the end of it, didn't hit the pace every time but close enough. The elevation loss/gain on the avenue was definitely quite noticeable by the end of it! Picked up some nice post-run lunch from the food stands, it was quite the morning in the park with the beautiful weather.

Sunday was the longest run since Donadea in 2020 I think, a route I've been meaning to do since I went through my brief period of cycling, running deep into the hills near Ballyboughal. Took it easy enough, it was mostly just for time on feet with some hills. The glorious views over Dublin didn't happen due to it being pretty misty today but still some nice things to look at along the way including an actual plane at Ballyboughal airfield. They were taking off 15 minutes later, but I was getting a bit tired so just kept going after taking a photo. I've taken off on that field numerous times on Flight Simulator, maybe I should've given them a few tips.

Total: 67.5 miles, 7 days running.

Next week: Three weeks out is peak week I guess, so same again, however unfortunately I am going to Glasgow for Tuesday night to visit my sister over there and go to see Thundercat play. I might try to do a MP paced session in the morning before the flight (like 10 miles?) maybe taking in some local hills. Not really sure of what my marathon pace is, maybe 7:45/mile? Planning to be pacing Rivervalley parkrun on Saturday doing 22 minutes which will be the fast thing this week.

A less good week, but not terrible.

I was hmming and hawing about Tuesday's session, kind of worrying about a longer MP session, and ended up deciding to do some HMP reps instead as I've been doing a good few of them. 4 x 8 minutes off 1 minute slower was the plan and jogged over to the Holywell junior parkrun venue. However I pulled the plug after two reps as I was feeling like I was at the end of a 5k, so just jogged the long way home instead. Checking my heart rate later on it confirmed that it was through the roof. This happens every so often, maybe my body was fighting something off, or was tired from all the additional mileage. Not particularly worried about it anyway, half considered doing another session during the week, but I generally was feeling tired (a trip to Glasgow didn't help on this front too) so just took things easy for the week, and only did 5k on Friday. I ended up in the bar at work on Friday evening which added a lot of stress to the pacing gig at Rivervalley on Saturday. A load of folks were over from Raheny and Clonliffe too which added a good bit of speed to the field. I was comfortable enough despite the hangover, I thought I went through half-way bang on 11 minutes, then tried to bank some time to allow for the hill second time 'round. Only after going up the hill and recovering did it become clear that I was a good bit ahead of where I needed to be, I kept things steady enough but finished in 21:32, not exactly excellent pacing. Stressful enough overall, I was worried scared that my hangover would cause a pacing fail, instead my nerves about pacing failure caused a pacing failure. Nobody asked for their money back anyway. Sunday morning was back out with a local running buddy. We set out at a decent pace and held it while chatting on a pretty nice and cool morning. Ended up doing 16 miles, with most of them faster than MP (???). Tired enough towards the end as we slowed down while getting back into Swords. A good workout which made me no longer scared of MP, whatever that is.

Total: 62.8 miles

Next week: Taper time. Over 40 miles anyway. Will head to the Cru on Tuesday for something HM paced, and I reckon I'm gonna give a parkrun a good go on Saturday, then just 10 miles or so. Apart from a good taper the next two weeks will be spent mostly worrying about AVOIDING GETTING COVID SO THAT I CAN GET INTO THE USA.

Some podiatrists will do nails / feet maintenance! Usually they'll list their services online. There used to be a great one in Cleary's which is absolutely no use to you whatsoever....😀. Best of luck with the tape and staying Covid free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nice to see you getting some consistent weeks in again. The Boston experience will be great reward for it and tick all the boxes you wanted to tick from the block. Anything planned for the Autumn??

Just the usual DCM, carry over registration from 2020. Also signed up to the DCM Race Series but unless COVID/war/??? happens I'll be out of the country for the two best races (Swords and Frank Duffy). I've signed up for SF Half instead though, which was the original 2020 plan too.

This week I ran 40 miles, ran an all-out Malahide parkrun but didn't go sub-20 all while dealing with a worrying niggle. Not ideal 8 days out from a marathon but hey.

On Monday I was definitely feeling some hip flexor/adductor pain in my right leg. This location was one of the many ruinous injuries I experienced post-DCM 2019. I'm sure it's some over-use thing as it flared up right after two peak weeks. However it wasn't awful so pushed on. Monday was a recovery plod feeling very tired after the previous day's very aggressively paced long run. Tuesday was a session with the Cru, did 2x15 minutes which was supposed to be at marathon pace, but pushed it pretty much to HMP (7:07/mile and 7:03/mile). Was pretty comfortable, was chatting with another runner for a lot of it. On Wednesday's run I was feeling the hip thing again so decided to take two days off to rest the stupid thing. I did some stretches which seemed to annoy it a little, but it didn't seem to get any worse. I'd decided to do an all-out parkrun a few weeks ago, and the niggle didn't put me off this plan. The purpose of the parkrun was to find out what shape I'm in and to get a taste of race effort, as I've only done one race in two years. I figured I'd also find out how much of a problem the hip problem is. It was definitely a bit present on the jog over, but it wasn't sore. Lined up at the start and positioned myself aggressively at the front, if anything just to remind myself to go for it. When we got started it felt a lot tougher than I was expecting, like I was not really moving very fast. It was pretty cold despite the sunshine and I'd let myself cooldown for about 10 minutes before the start, and I was feeling stiff. Glancing at my watch a few times in the first km it was stubbornly above 4 mins/km. By the time we crested the hill first time 'round I was feeling a bit better and sped up, but somewhere in the 4th km I again felt like cr@p and ended up slowing a little, and the guy who was running near me started pulling away. Around a km to go I've recovered from the wobble and start going for it. I reckoned sub-20 was gone but maybe a post-pandemic PB was in play. Attacked the hill aggressively and then went eyes-bulgingly out for the end, a rare strong finish for me. Ended up in being 20:05, agonisingly close but I'm happy to be in the rough area of sub-20. Gives me a good post-Boston target anyway! Sunday's run was an easy 10 miles, nothing too interesting there.

Total: 40.3 miles with two rest days

Next week: Probably no more than 30 miles with two rest days, likely won't run on the Saturday as I'm travelling over that day, and then just a 5k shakeout on Sunday. Might do a few miles at MP on Tuesday/Wednesday, whatever that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not a bad parkrun at all. So weighing it all up a week out, what’s the Boston target? Conservative or gung-ho?

I don't want to do anything too stupid... depending on weather and hills, sub-3:30 should be do-able. If I was running Dublin next Monday with nice weather I'd probably be going with the 3:20 pacers. I have a fine tradition of blowing up in USA marathons and by all accounts Boston is a great one to blow up on, but there's no PBs or anything at stake here, running a credible time is more important than shaving off a few minutes but risking a detonation.

I think my race plan will be simple enough:

First 4 miles: Take it easy on the downhill, like 8 minute miles. Don't shred any quads and conserve energy.

Next 12 miles: 7:45 or so, ok to go a little faster depending on feel.

Next 5 miles: Just keep moving over the hills, don't worry about pace.

Final 5: leg it!

Sounds like a sensible approach. All the best - it’s a wonderful experience and surely all the better if it goes to plan (which I wouldn’t know). Stay left to avoid those Wellesley Girls anyway (if that’s still a thing, might have been banned by now). Good luck!

Best of luck tomorrow B!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

All the best lad...Run well.

@Annie get your Run it's Monday isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck chief 💪

Yes it's Monday! I thought today was Sunday 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Lucky you doing the Boston Marathon.Hope you have a great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck 😊

Best of luck B!

Thanks all! Weather-wise I think it would be marginally better to be today but it's looking not awful.

This week's update isn't very interesting which is a good thing for race weeks. Monday was just a few miles in between bringing the kids to various activities as I was solo-parenting. Tuesday was out to Malahide, and Wednesday was the final 2x8 minutes @ MP except I ran it a bit faster. On Friday I ran to the airport and back for my COVID test. The highlight of the week was a jog around Boston this morning, huge numbers of runners everywhere and a great atmosphere. I felt bad having to turn around and head back to my hotel.

I hit up the expo yesterday and had some grub with a clubmate afterwards which ended up being a long time on my feet in total, but at least it was all done yesterday. All I have to do today is nothing, other than grab dinner soon.

May as well set some goals, but first some reflection... this isn't a make or break race, but I've never shown up at a race and not tried my best. Training has gone to plan though with only 2 runs longer than 15 miles, and 4 others over HM distance done since Christmas so the lack of long runs could bite me. However volume was ok and I think that's more important, and there was some clear progression. The 16 miles done averaging faster than MP two weeks ago and the fast parkrun last week were good confidence boosters. I didn't lose as much weight as I hoped I would, I got stuck around 88kg which is still a good 12kg down from my PB last year. But here goes:

A goal: Sub-3:25 - go through half between 1:40 - 1:42, hang on during the hills and make some time up (?) at the end. Not impossible.

B goal: Sub-3:30 - as above, but make less time up

C goal: sub-3:32:06 (my slowest marathon) - as above, but things are going a bit more off the rails and I'm regretting not doing more long runs

D goal: Finish the stupid thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good luck. Give it socks...or however the Americans put it!

Boston was the best race I've ever run, and the worst race I've ever run. Read on for how to not run a marathon!

I was wide awake at 2AM, as I'm only over for 3 nights I'm not really bothered with getting over jetlag so it wasn't a problem. Sunday was spent successfully off my feet, and I felt pretty well rested. I spent the morning slowly getting ready and grazing on various carby foods. I brought over two Crusaders singlets just in case (?) and accidentally didn't wear my lucky hand-me-down cross-free Crusaders from murph_d, an error which was obviously to blame for what happened during the marathon. I was also wearing my healy-recommended Ronhill racing shorts and Kipchoge-recommended Alphaflys. After what seemed like a million hours it was finally 6AM and I dragged my bag and gear down to the hotel lobby to top up my carbs. I was staying about a mile from Boston Commons, and on the way out of the hotel I made a couple of new runner friends, an Aussie and a college student from Miami who was going for low 2:40s in his second marathon, great friendly chats on the way over. At the bagdrop I met a clubmate W. who I'd been hanging with on Saturday, and we stuck together until splitting up in the wave 1 corrals. Getting the buses to the startline was great fun, though it seemed like a comically long journey to the start area. We got there with about an hour to kill so just hung outside sitting on some disposable ponchos enjoying the warmth of the sun. The runner village area was an impressive sight with loads of tents, toilets and some food and drink. Even at this stage it was hard not to get wow-ed at the organisation of the marathon. There was no wind and no signs of any cloud, though it was cool enough. At 9:15 it was time to start heading to the start area, while was a downhill walk about a mile away and even here there were people outside their houses supporting and there were tents of people giving out vaseline, bandages, etc. I paid a last visit to the toilet in the impressively large staging area, and then made my way to corral 4 in the first wave. In retrospect, this was a terrible idea. I was hmm-ing and haw-ing about dropping back, as there were thousands of people in front and behind me who were probably in sub-3 kind of shape and didn't spend the pandemic avoiding running, tearing their MCL and putting on 20kgs of weight. The American anthem was sung and the airforce did a perfectly timed flyover, regardless of your politics it was hard not to be wow-ed by it all. I was in awe of the morning so far and now all I had to do was calm down and take it nice and easy at the start.

5k 00:22:59 (7:24/mile)

This absolutely didn't happen, of course. It was impossible to go slow, I felt like I was barely walking the impressive downhills and I was getting dragged along by folks around me. I kept cursing my watch as it refused to show any time that was slower than 7:30. I decided to stop letting it wreck my head and just settle into a good pace and hold it until the hills.

5-10k 22:56 (7:23/mile)

10-15k 22:35 (7:17/mile)

Really not much happened here other than holding what seemed like a reasonable pace and good effort. Despite the temperature being relatively cool it was starting to feel warm enough from the sun, and so I was making sure to get water and occasionally some Gatorade at every second water station (there were huge stations every mile). The support was ridiculous. What seemed like whole towns were out shouting at runners, high fiving, BBQing, blaring music and looking like they were having as good a time as us runners in the first part of the marathon. This was no doubt also a factor in maintaining an aggressive pace. I met three people around here, two runners from my club (not in their singlet!) who came over and said hello, and an Irish lad in an Irish singlet who was great fun to run beside as he got a lot of shouts for the singlet. I was only getting a shout every minute or so for my Crusaders singlet :)

15-20k 22:45 (7:20/mile)

20-25k 23:05 (7:25/mile)

Starting to feel effort creeping up here, though the scream tunnel at Wellesley made me forget about all that for couple of minutes. I'd heard a lot about it, but it was utterly unreal. Hearing the roar getting slowly louder as you get towards it was spine tingling, though I didn't take, er, advantage of the numerous offers of kissing a girl half my age so just chivalrously did some WOOs and high fives. I had a good laugh going over half in 1:36:13, I was like "I have either made a complete balls of this or this is going amazingly well". The constant ups and downs were getting a bit tiring too, I never want to encounter another "rolling hill" in my life. Somewhere around here my right quad started to get sore, and then there was a ridiculous drop down before the hills which didn't feel great at all. Uh oh.

25-30k 25:29 (8:13/mile)

As is completely predictable, it turns out you really need to have a lot in the tank to take on the Newton hills even while taking them very slowly. By now my left quad had decided to join in the fun too, and every uphill and downhill was getting quite sore. I experienced my first ever "sniper" cramp in my left calf going up one of the hills which freaked me out and caused me to slow down even more to make sure it didn't come back. I'd switched my watch over to heart rate at the start of the hills, which was telling me I was at my max of 166/167 and I had to start shuffling to get it back down. Despite my body going to complete crap, I was somehow still enjoying things and it wasn't hard to run with a smile, which I think encouraged a lot of shouts from the crowd too. A clubmate who was out supporting ran alongside me for 30 seconds shouting some needed words of encouragement.

30-35k 27:29 (8:50/mile)

The last two hills were total slog fests, the ups and downs from the previous two hills had done a lot of damage. By now the headwind was picking up a little, it probably wasn't too bad and did provide some relief from the sun but it was enough to start to annoy me in my increasingly bonked state. Every step was getting very sore.

35-40k 28:55 (9:19/mile)

The crowds were getting deeper, and there was another college along here with some very enthusiastic students, so I WOOed, shouted and high-fived my way past them and they all went nuts. It was ridiculous. I noticed my speed creeping up to sub-8 minute miles briefly, maybe I'd WOOed my way to a second wind? No such luck, once things settled back to normal levels of crowd support, the adrenaline was no longer covering up the pain and it was back to plodsville. At least the city was now in sight.

2.2k 12:28 (9:15/mile)

The bloody Citgo sign and baseball stadium finally appeared, but didn't really help. The last plunge under a road was horrific, I think I walked most of it as I couldn't stomach the downhill and uphill by now. It was finally time to turn right on Hereford and left on Boylston. I did manage to pick things up for the finish which makes the average time for the final bit look a good bit better. I did some more stupid crowd stuff which seemed to be responded to by the crowd but who knows how lucid I was by now.

Finish: 3:28:51 (7:58/mile)

The horror show was finally over, somehow still inside my B goal time. Very slowly waddled through the massive finishing area and was feeling quite lightheaded. The wind had picked up massively by now and the gusts were making even slow walking quite miserable. Got my bag from a bus, found a kerb to sit-down on, and I met the college student again. He'd completely blown up, finishing around 3:15, was shivering a lot and looking close to death. I told him he was making me feel better about myself, but that he should really get to one of the "heater buses" they had in the finishing area. I got dressed and started heading towards the Common to sit-down and check in with family and Strava. My clubmate W. had a place at the bar in Cheers (better than an Irish bar I guess), so I headed over there, chatting with random runners on the way. The beer and service was great, and an hour or so later we had a space with about 5 other clubmates including marthastew formerly of these parts. I think I had blown up the worst of our gang, but everybody had both a tough and amazing time. The beer and great company rapidly worked wonders to my physical and mental condition. Some unknown time later folks started to head off, so headed back to my hotel and ate some food at the bar. When I got back to my hotel I realised that I was massively sunburned with the outline of my singlet ridiculously visible on my body. Also I did my first p!ss post-marathon, which was after a decent amount of beer, so I was definitely extremely dehydrated. Some decent toe damage too, I felt something like a blister popping in the last mile and there's some decent bruising, to be expected though.

What went wrong? Obviously the pace was stupid and I'd done way too much damage coming into the hills. I am not sure if the quad damage was a result of poor form because of getting tired, or vice-versa, probably a bit of both. I did try and focus on form especially after the cramp scare, but all bets are off when you're bonking. The sun/heat was a total surprise, despite obsessively checking weather forecasts I was expecting just a bit of sun with some nice cloud cover. Boston is at the same latitude as Northern Spain and the sun didn't just burn my skin to a crisp, I probably was running quite dehydrated too. I didn't eat huge amounts on the course, just one gel and a couple of packets of other Gu Blocks and Sport Beans, along with some sips of Gatorade, but I was well fed going into it so I don't think that was a factor.

Running Boston on a beautiful day was truly an unbelievable experience. I'd watched loads of videos, read all the old threads on here etc. but it still massively exceeded expectations. I woke up at 3AM with my skin still burning and what sounded like a full-on gale and heavy rain outside. The predictable things at Boston are the hills, blowing up on the hills and the unpredictability of the weather :)

What's next? I am going to NOT do what I usually do and plunge straight back into running. Maybe a few miles on Sunday. Also thanks to the passage of time, Boston 2024 will only need me to run a sub-3:20 marathon at DCM...

Excellent report B, I was tracking you and a few others on the app and was watching your pace over the first half. The 1:36 half time caught the eye as I knew you'd written 1:40/1:42 for the first half and was hoping it wouldn't come back to haunt you later in the race. Glad you got it done in your B goal time, given that nature of what I've learned from other runners experience's I'd imagine B goals is what a lot of people end up reverting to for Boston on the day. Have to say it sounds like a fantastic experience all the same and quite envious! Recover well and hopefully see you on DCM day.

Ah, what a great report, thanks for writing it - it really brought me back to what is a truly one-of-a-kind experience, regardless of the performance. You did a lot better than me anyway - I made the mistake of not having a B goal.

I'd noticed from FB or insta or whatever that you'd laid out the 'wrong' singlet alright. Tut tut! 😉

2024, eh? It's that kind of race alright. Recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sounds spectacular. Spectacular marathon. Spectacular support. Spectacular "blowup" . Spectacular to still meet the B goal.

Those sniper cramps are horrible. Been there. Really messes with your mind as they attack without any obvious warning.

I'm wondering if the lad in the Ireland singlet was a local lad i know from a club here in limerick. He ran 3.18. Probably loads of ireland singlets there in fairness though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thats a wonderful report of what sounds like a wonderful'ish experience - certainly a wonderful memory if you block out the hills & weather!!

Well done for the grind at the end - its not easy!

Advertisement