Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Firedance wrote: »
    You got the 225 singer? Apparently you need to wear it above the wrist bone for accurate hr readings. Have a look in the gear section davedannon has done a review . There's some good info on HR training in last year's graduate thread, also have a look at HADDs method. Myles will have answers for you too but yes, your easy runs will be slower if you train by HR, the obvious difference being your training specifically with your body & not somewhat random paces. Best of luck with it, I hope you find it useful :)

Nice one! I'll try out Dave's tricks. I'll try and do a session to get my Max HR soon enough, hopefully it's something like 290 so my easy runs are nice and fast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Singer wrote: »
    Nice one! I'll try out Dave's tricks. I'll try and do a session to get my Max HR soon enough, hopefully it's something like 290 so my easy runs are nice and fast :D

LOL some day you'll learn singer, someday... and then you'll be preaching to all about how you should run your easy runs nice n sloooowwwwww :D just figured out who you are too, welcome to strava!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Date|Distance|Pace|HR|Notes
    21st December|9 miles|8'38||Run commute home. No falling this time.
    22nd December|6 miles|8'26||Slightly extended run around Swords.
    23rd December|9.2 miles|8'40||A run commute to work, first time ever! Children were off school etc. so made sense to get it out of the way. Effort was really tough at the start, but got better as I got close to home. Happened to be passing the airport when there was a bomb/fire scare and saw a load of fire engines tear down the road into the airport.
    24th December|4 miles|7'52||Usual jaunt around Airside.
    25th December|4.1 miles|8'00|150|Welcome to Kilkeel running :) Got utterly SOAKED. Got out while the younger kid was asleep and dinner was being cooked. Learned that you need to wait for the Garmin to sync before running :) Up around Airside and through Main Street.
    26th December|4 miles|8'00|146|A few bloated miles. Went past 1500 miles for 2015 :)
    27th December|4 miles|Warmup and 5k at 4'02|140(???)|Race report above

Just my 2 cents but from your description of the 5k race you must have been close to your Max HR at some point, so given that you average higher for an easy 4 miles on the 25th; I can only imagine that the readings from the race are wrong.

I'd say try the tricks for the 225 to get it a little more accurate before deciding your zones etc. I have personally never been able to replicate a max HR higher than a 5k race no matter how much I put into a HR test session, but it's always better to underestimate rather than overestimate your max HR.

Well done on the PB you will be under 20 minutes very soon.

Seems like the right time of year to post a monthly mileage breakdown :)

Not sure it's even worth posting 2013 but anyway...

|2013|2014|2015
    January|||68.3|
    February|||65.9|
    March||25.1|36.7|
    April||13.9|53.2|
    May||16.1|130.8|
    June||6.8|153.1|
    July|14.6|31.6|145.3|
    August|8.3|54|206.3|
    September|1.7|59.3|207.8|
    October|6.9|23|145.8|
    November||26.8|117.8|
    December||34.3|203.25|
    Total|31.6|291.3|1534.75|

Gym, pilates etc. dropped off as milage ramped up, I haven't seen the inside of a gym other to shower after a run in nearly 6 months. I'm not really sure of target races or goals for 2016, I'll probably end up doing the race series and DCM again. I'm registered for the Raheny 5 mile, might do the Trim 10 mile again, do the MSB 5k and will show up for the rest of the ALSAA race series if I can get to them.

PB Table:
    Distance|2014|2015
    1M|-|6:07|
    5k|-|20:07|
    5M|-|35:52|
    10k|55:54|43:34|
    10M|1:30:12|1:10:30|
    HM|1:59:19|1:36:03|
    M|-|3:32:04|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck for 2016, judging by this year
    What ever targets you set will be smashed, Happy New Year

• Advertisement

A decent enough week, minor bonk aside. One session and some good variation. I also looked deep into my soul and finally decided to target three races this year - MSB 5K (handily there's 11 weeks to this, and I have an 11 week plan in P&D's road racing book), Fingal 10k and DCM.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    Dec 28th|5.75 miles|8'09|A short loop around the outskirts of Malahide and the estuary. Hungover after PB beers...
    Dec 29th|5.3 miles|10'00(!)|I kept my HRM in "easy" for this, slowing down whenever it went out of easy. Now even my watch is telling me I'm running too fast most of the time :D:pac::mad:
    Dec 30th|13.25 miles|8'23|Out to Portmarnock via Malahide Castle (passing Catherina McKiernan!) and back along the coast. Kind of bonked near the end, I went out a little hungry and eventually paid the price. Turns out you can't go running on Coco-pops and nutella bagels alone.
    Dec 31st|5 miles|9'02|Just some (hungover, again) slow miles around Airside and Main Street. Thus endeth the #runstreak - 31 days.
    Jan 2nd|8 miles|9'09|Included 11 hill sprints (meant to be 10) up "The Valley", 6x100m strides and plenty of recovery.
    Jan 3rd|1.2 miles|13'56|First Rush Junior Parkrun with the 5 year old :D - not sure I should really count this :)
    Jan 3rd|13.25 miles|8'08|Very comfortable run out to DCU and back, second half was faster.

Weekly total: 50.5 miles (not including the junior parkrun)

Next week: Try and get most of the first week of the P&D 5k plan done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

How did your 5 y.o. enjoy the junior parkrun ? We didn't make it this week because I had a race. Hopefully will be making a regular enough event of it. And, no, I didn't count it in my mileage either :rolleyes:

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    How did your 5 y.o. enjoy the junior parkrun ? We didn't make it this week because I had a race. Hopefully will be making a regular enough event of it. And, no, I didn't count it in my mileage either :rolleyes:

We finished near the very end, I'll be sitting him down with last year's Novices thread tomorrow evening, I think he bonked and really hadn't put in the miles :D

Despite all that he really enjoyed it and wants to go back next week! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

We finished near the very end, I'll be sitting him down with last year's Novices thread tomorrow evening, I think he bonked and really hadn't put in the miles :D

Despite all that he really enjoyed it and wants to go back next week! :cool:

Brilliant, it was so much fun. Our lads really enjoyed it and want to go back too... They finished near the very end too, even with some 5-year-old shortcuts!

And I did count it in my mileage... Hey, every 2k counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If you're not walking, it gets logged!

Some interesting target races there, B. Good luck with the (craftily unstated) goals. See you at Raheny.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    If you're not walking, it gets logged!

Some interesting target races there, B. Good luck with the (craftily unstated) goals. See you at Raheny.

Sub-20 5k and see where it goes from there :)

The 10k->Marathon idea came out of reading the first few posts to this old thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056285981

If I were to make up some random numbers, I'd love sub-40 and sub-3:15, but they're both so far off pace-wise and time-wise that they're basically just made-up at this point. I'd be happy with just "keep running and keep improving" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sub 20 is in the near future, sub 40 is tough enough and you have to get your 5k down to about 19.

3:15? No bother to you this October. Seriously.

Not that it will be 'no bother', I don't expect you to underestimate it but with the right training and build, everything going right etc, it is within your current capabilities.

Good week of running. I'm trying to keep the milage up but keep the disruption to family life down, so lots of run commutes etc. are in my future. I'm still not good at early morning running, but I'll persevere...

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    4th January|4.5 miles|9'04|Easy post-work miles, city centre to Ballsbridge and down to the quays to get my bus
    5th January|8.2 miles|7'53|Up to the airport and back, included 3 x 1 miles at 7:00ish pace. It was pretty tough.
    6th January|9.2 miles|8'52|Run commute, took it handy enough
    8th January|9 miles|8'46|Another run commute. Was pretty knackered on Thursday so took a rest day, was totally grand by Friday.
    9th January|7 miles|8'44|Early morning run, included 10x hill sprints up the pedestrian walkway by The Pav.
    10th January|14 miles|7'55|Grand auld long run, felt pretty good. Ran to Santry, turned down towards Coolock and then back up into Malahide then to Swords. Added a bit at the end around Swords to get to the famous half-ososlo distance :D

Total: 52 miles
    Next week: Same again would be grand, maybe do some faster, quicker intervals in the mid-week session.

I (finally) showed up to a running club last night so I thought I'd share how it went :)

My local club aren't up to much, so I dropped into Clonliffe Harriers in Santry Stadium last night. It was pretty busy, lots of groups of various ages getting together in and around the stadium and clubhouse. I togged out and asked around for who to talk to. The club captain didn't show up, so I ended up just going along with a group who were a good bit faster than me (the 35-40 10k group). Did a 2 mile warmup (sub 8:00 pace) and then went back into the stadium. The plan was 8 x 600m , but the track was a little icy, so we headed out to Northwood and did 8 x 2 minutes or so with 1 minute recovery... except I was the slowest in the group so it was more like 30 seconds recovery :/ The pace in the repeats was definitely sub-6:00 and I couldn't stick with the group at all. It was a good workout (got a HR record from my Garmin and a 400m record on Strava) and had some good chats with a few of the lads. We did another couple of miles to warm down (again sub-8:00). I'm not sure if I should stick with that group, though I got a load of encouragement that I'd be grand in a month or two :) After reading Myles' session post on the graduates thread maybe I should drop back to a group that's more my level though.

Anyway, I'll be heading along again next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff on the club session and best of luck with it, I've been part of a club for 9 months now and it's been great.

Well done B. Saw that on strava and was wondering what was going on with the 400 PB. Sounds a bit similar to my first club session. All the best - great club and I'm sure you will thrive there. Surprised about the icy track. Ours was in great shape last night.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done B. Saw that on strava and was wondering what was going on with the 400 PB. Sounds a bit similar to my first club session. All the best - great club and I'm sure you will thrive there. Surprised about the icy track. Ours was in great shape last night.

Cheers! That bit closer to the sea I guess :)

Definitely a minnow in the the Harriers' big pond but happy to see where it goes.

I (finally) showed up to a running club last night so I thought I'd share how it went :)

My local club aren't up to much, so I dropped into Clonliffe Harriers in Santry Stadium last night. It was pretty busy, lots of groups of various ages getting together in and around the stadium and clubhouse. I togged out and asked around for who to talk to. The club captain didn't show up, so I ended up just going along with a group who were a good bit faster than me (the 35-40 10k group). Did a 2 mile warmup (sub 8:00 pace) and then went back into the stadium. The plan was 8 x 600m , but the track was a little icy, so we headed out to Northwood and did 8 x 2 minutes or so with 1 minute recovery... except I was the slowest in the group so it was more like 30 seconds recovery :/ The pace in the repeats was definitely sub-6:00 and I couldn't stick with the group at all. It was a good workout (got a HR record from my Garmin and a 400m record on Strava) and had some good chats with a few of the lads. We did another couple of miles to warm down (again sub-8:00). I'm not sure if I should stick with that group, though I got a load of encouragement that I'd be grand in a month or two :) After reading Myles' session post on the graduates thread maybe I should drop back to a group that's more my level though.

Anyway, I'll be heading along again next week :)

my tuppance worth, just be careful about running (or trying to keep up with!) people faster than you in the beginning at least, training with faster people is a fantastic tool if you use it properly, most of us though end up running way too fast which can lead to injury. If you move back now and work your way up you might avoid that. Someone else might have different advice of course :) Enjoy the club, it'll make all the difference to you over the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Good stuff, that sounds like a really tough session though and personally I would drop back a group though. You can easily go back up in a few weeks/months once you're comfortable in the group below.

Looking forward to seeing the pbs plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats on your move. You sure will be in good company there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    my tuppance worth, just be careful about running (or trying to keep up with!) people faster than you in the beginning at least, training with faster people is a fantastic tool if you use it properly, most of us though end up running way too fast which can lead to injury. If you move back now and work your way up you might avoid that. Someone else might have different advice of course :) Enjoy the club, it'll make all the difference to you over the coming year.
    tipping wrote: »
    Good stuff, that sounds like a really tough session though and personally I would drop back a group though. You can easily go back up in a few weeks/months once you're comfortable in the group below.

Looking forward to seeing the pbs plummet.

+1 to these comments, no doubt you'll be ready for the faster group before long but there's no harm whatsover doing your apprenticeship with a different group until you're ready. As always, you've gotta ask yourself 'What would Dubgal Say ?' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

That's great that you've joined Clonliffe Harriers. hope it goes really well.
    I meant to ask you after I bumped into you (:-)) at Jingle Bells, did you ever to Catherina McKiernan's course? You look v like a man who was on it at the same time as me.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I meant to ask you after I bumped into you (:-)) at Jingle Bells, did you ever to Catherina McKiernan's course? You look v like a man who was on it at the same time as me.

Nope, wasn't me - I'll keep an eye out for this doppleganger, thanks for the report :)

A good week for getting rid of some money, signed up for the MSB 5k and the DCM Race Series and DCM itself! :cool:

Some minor niggles popping up with the increased milage over the last few weeks, my right achilles has been a bit stiff, I had some slight discomfort in my left foot (same as reported on the Novices thread back in September: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97166665&postcount=5276 ) but it seems to be going away (just like back in September) and I've got a large hole in my tummy that I keep filling with food (i.e. I'm eating a lot!).

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    11th January|5.6 miles|9'12|The now regular "long way to the bus" easy miles, out to Ballsbridge and down to the quays over the Eastlink. Handy way of getting some miles in.
    12th January|7 miles|8'04|Club session as above!
    13th January|9.5 miles|9'00|Run commute home. Bag opened in Santry and a pair of jeans went missing, had to double back and locate them. Scarlet.
    14th January|2.3 miles|12'15|Encouraged/badgered a co-worker to do a lunchtime jog around St. Stephen's Green, 30 minutes with some walking.
    15th January|9 miles|8'49|Run commute home... no bag disasters this time.
    16th January|6.1 miles|8'05|Fastish miles with 10 sprints up the pedestrian bridge at The Pav.
    17th January|1.2 mile|14'09|Rush Junior Parkrun with the 5 year old :) Didn't beat his previous time, was complaining a bit about stomach pains so we did a bit of walking. Feel like a bit of a dork timing this with the Garmin but anyway :)
    17th January|14 miles|7'55|Out to Portmarnock and back along the coast and estuary. Last couple of miles were a bit of a slog. Over-dressed a bit for this, it was pretty warm out.

Weekly total: 54.9 (though 3.5 of those were slow :) )
    Next week: Same again would be pretty sweet. I'll give the ALSAA 3k a miss to show up at the club again.

At least you were on the way home when the bag opened. Wouldn't be good to arrive at work with no trousers.

This was a good week! Niggles have deniggleised but most importantly I got in a lot of miles (highest milage week ever - I got to 55 twice during DCM training) without being disruptive to family life at all - going to the club on Tuesday evening was the only time the wife was lumped with the kids on her own. I'm very happy with this and intend to continue like this... at least until the summer when things will step up again ;)

Also running in general seemed to get a bit easier this week - I was with the same group again in the club, but this time the group split into two because of higher attendance and there were a few lads slower than me, so it wasn't as all out with minimal recovery this time, but I seemed to get through it better. My long run as well went better than last week and I was happy to largely hit planned pace a few times for the Raheny 5 Mile on Saturday.

I did have a sore big toe for a few days which was caused by some sock fluff embedding itself under my nail - the wife was deployed to scrape it out, which was sore but provided immediate relief.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    18th January|5.2 miles|9'04|Was feeling a bit tired from the previous day's run (a fast LSR), but this was a new route and very enjoyable - out to Kilmainham, over the Liffey and down the quays to my bus.
    19th January|6.4 miles|8'19|Club session - 3 sets of 4 x 80 seconds with 40 recovery. Pace of the reps was sub-6 but not punishingly so. Some cool down miles too.
    20th January|3.2 miles|9'18|Slow miles around town to the bus
    21st January |9 miles|8'37|My first ever decent morning run commute! The start is always a bit of a slog (plenty of wind in my face and uphill to airport) but didn't feel as miserable as I usually do and felt great towards the end.
    21st January|2.4 miles|12'13|A couple of slow miles in St. Stephen's Green with my still co-operating co-worker.
    22nd January|10 miles|8'39|Run commute home, went the slightly longer way via Malahide Road and Collins Ave.
    23rd January|7.1 miles|7'39|From Griffith Avenue down to the coast to the Bull Wall and back. Threw in 3 x 1 miles at 5 mile pace.
    24th January|15 miles|7'58|Nice long run, up to Santry, down Oscar Traynor Road, up Malahide Road and back to Swords via Airside. Caught up on some podcasts including the most recent Serial. Wind was a bit of a pain at the start but otherwise a nice day - felt a bit warm in a long-sleeve top.

Total: 56.2 miles (and 2.4 slow miles)

Next week: Definitely nowhere near that kind of mileage and will be taking it easy ahead of Sunday - I have a soft 5 Mile PB to decimate :)

This was a good week! Niggles have deniggleised but most importantly I got in a lot of miles (highest milage week ever - I got to 55 twice during DCM training) without being disruptive to family life at all - going to the club on Tuesday evening was the only time the wife was lumped with the kids on her own. I'm very happy with this and intend to continue like this... at least until the summer when things will step up again ;)

Also running in general seemed to get a bit easier this week - I was with the same group again in the club, but this time the group split into two because of higher attendance and there were a few lads slower than me, so it wasn't as all out with minimal recovery this time, but I seemed to get through it better. My long run as well went better than last week and I was happy to largely hit planned pace a few times for the Raheny 5 Mile on Saturday.

I did have a sore big toe for a few days which was caused by some sock fluff embedding itself under my nail - the wife was deployed to scrape it out, which was sore but provided immediate relief.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    18th January|5.2 miles|9'04|Was feeling a bit tired from the previous day's run (a fast LSR), but this was a new route and very enjoyable - out to Kilmainham, over the Liffey and down the quays to my bus.
    19th January|6.4 miles|8'19|Club session - 3 sets of 4 x 80 seconds with 40 recovery. Pace of the reps was sub-6 but not punishingly so. Some cool down miles too.
    20th January|3.2 miles|9'18|Slow miles around town to the bus
    21st January |9 miles|8'37|My first ever decent morning run commute! The start is always a bit of a slog (plenty of wind in my face and uphill to airport) but didn't feel as miserable as I usually do and felt great towards the end.
    21st January|2.4 miles|12'13|A couple of slow miles in St. Stephen's Green with my still co-operating co-worker.
    22nd January|10 miles|8'39|Run commute home, went the slightly longer way via Malahide Road and Collins Ave.
    23rd January|7.1 miles|7'39|From Griffith Avenue down to the coast to the Bull Wall and back. Threw in 3 x 1 miles at 5 mile pace.
    24th January|15 miles|7'58|Nice long run, up to Santry, down Oscar Traynor Road, up Malahide Road and back to Swords via Airside. Caught up on some podcasts including the most recent Serial. Wind was a bit of a pain at the start but otherwise a nice day - felt a bit warm in a long-sleeve top.

Total: 56.2 miles (and 2.4 slow miles)

Next week: Definitely nowhere near that kind of mileage and will be taking it easy ahead of Sunday - I have a soft 5 Mile PB to decimate :)

I have no words, hopefully this conveys my thoughts though...

:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

good luck on Sunday!

A terrible week - didn't break 30 miles, didn't get to the club... I guess did get two PBs though ;)

I was planning a quiet week anyway. Took Monday off, and didn't feel up for the club on Tuesday so just ran home instead (felt great once I started running though :rolleyes:). On Wednesday I went along to the Irish Runner Paced Mile in ALSAA.. The highlight was doing the mile with Catherina McKiernan in my group - it was great just watching her run, she looked so comfortable and fit compared to sloggers like myself :) The mile was of course quite uncomfortable - the last lap was really tough, lungs burning etc. Got a good slap on my back and "well done" from Catherina at the end :) I (finally) broke 6 minutes (5'55) :cool:

Splits: 1:31 (included 9 additional metres), 1:28, 1:29, 1:29

Thursday and Friday were writeoffs due to life getting massively in the way - madness in work (changing roles out of the blue) and hospital appointments (good news but still stressful) meant that this week was unexpectedly a taper week for Raheny.

So, Raheny! I reckoned 33'33 was doable (closest round number to where I'd reckon I'd be and a homage to my DCM gun time :) ). Met a few boards folks before the start, did a brief enough warm-up and lined up. The start was a little chaotic, I think I started a bit too far back, and so was doing a bit of leaping around to avoid runners, cars etc. for the first half-mile or so. Once things settled down I got into a comfortable rhythm - checking my pace I was surprised that I was feeling as good as I was while below target pace. Same continued for the second and third miles, and I was able to dart ahead a little to get into good positions for the turns. Things felt a little harder when going up the straight in the park, and the 180 turn slowed me down, though I found running past the other runners a good distraction. Going uphill out of the park was a little tough but I had enough to keep things going. The twisting and turning towards the end was a little irritating I was in good enough form to do some high fives with kids.

Met a load of folks afterwards, nattered about running and enjoyed some flapjacks (which appeared to be about 80% sugar :) ), so pretty much everything went to plan :) Didn't see any large crocodiles or spiders though. I did see Meno before the race and asked "So you're still running then?", to which he replied "Yes, just not telling everybody about it" - touche :)

Splits: 6'35, 6'38, 6'33, 6'47, 6'33
    Gun time: 33'35
    Net time: 33'08 (2 minute 44 second PB)

Very content with how things went - time slightly better than expected and everything was controlled and uneventful throughout the race. I almost feel like I'm getting better at this racing lark :) Vdot was 49.5, identical to the 5k done at the end of December.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    26th January|10.2 miles|8'32|Run commute. Felt great on rested legs.
    27th January|5.5 miles|Dunno|1 mile at 1 mile pace :D, some warmup & warmdown and 3 miles back to Swords
    30th January|6.1 miles|7'57|Griffith Avenue down to the sea and back|
    31st January|5 miles|6'40|Raheny 5 as above

Weekly total: 26.8 miles :(

Monthly total: 215 miles :)

Next week: Do a lot more running, probably less racing... though I haven't written off doing the Trim 10 mile race on Sunday yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

What a week! 2 pb's! Very nice indeed and if you were high-5-ing kids near the end of the race today then there is a lot more to come off that time in the very near future!
    Congrats. Delighted for you!

Advertisement