Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

You have to sort the clothes bit out....Work naked or something. Do you HAVE to take the laptop home?? And can you use the town bit as a warm up?

Saying all this, you have a fab base built up. You'll be grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You have to sort the clothes bit out....Work naked or something. Do you HAVE to take the laptop home?? And can you use the town bit as a warm up?

Saying all this, you have a fab base built up. You'll be grand :)

DG, he's a techie... That's a RIDICULOUS question :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

So-so week. Did a bit of faster stuff in prep for next week's MSB 5k, but I've been struggling with a cold so dumped at least one run. I did run a Garmin PB for 1k though! Also it hardly needs repeating, but the weather this week really did make running that bit more pleasant.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    7th March|9.1 miles|8'40|Took it easy due to the previous day's running.
    8th March|9 miles|8'30|This wasn't great at all, I felt rundown, my feet were a little sore (Nike Free hangover?) and just wasn't in the zone. Decided to take Weds. off as a result.
    10th March|4.1 miles|10'09|2.5 slow miles around St. Stephen's Green with a co-worker, then I dropped him, did a warm-up lap and then a proper lap at around 5k pace... and I got my first ever 1st place in a Strava segment (not that I pay much too attention to them, though maybe I'll pay attention to this one in the future :) ). I did another cool-down lap and was going to do another lap at pace but just as I got going I ran into a load of kids/tourists/pigeons and took it as a sign that I should go back to work.
    11th March|9 miles|8'30ish|The usual. I passed Bungy in Drumcondra but (I hope) she didn't see me and sailed on by :) Stopped to chat to an old school friend on the way back into Swords and didn't stop my watch for a bit :rolleyes:
    12th March|6.2 miles|7'51|Ok, an actual session in prep for next week's 5k, 3x1k at 5k pace with full recovery. I dropped the elder kid at gymnastics and ran up and down Griffith Avenue. 1st and 3rd reps (both 3'54) were slightly uphill and into the wind, 2nd one the opposite (3'38 - a 1k record according to Strava). I was pretty wrecked by the end of the third one, not only did I press pause instead of lap on my watch, I let out a big groan of relief, came to a near standstill and a passing lady asked was I ok (I exhaled a relieved "yes" and tried to smile). Looking at actual 5k plans this was a sub-standard session given the proximity of the race but I haven't been doing them so had to start somewhere.
    13th March|15 miles|8'36|Easy miles around Swords.

Total: 50 miles (and 2.5 slow miles)

Next week: Tapering like mad. Some easy running, not too many run commutes, maybe some limited 5k pace running just to make sure the body is kind of ready. I'm not sure how likely sub-20 is next Sunday, but I'm going to give it a good go. On the positive side it's a pretty flat course, on the negative there's a good few twists and turns. I'll need to start in a decent place as the margins are going to be tight :) Last year I started way back and got off to a pretty slow start - I just checked and the splits were 5'36:eek:/4'33/4'32/4'30/4'19.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Do you HAVE to take the laptop home??
    annapr wrote: »
    DG, he's a techie... That's a RIDICULOUS question :D

:)

I do generally need to be able to work at home, but I have got an old laptop that can be used. Where there's a will there's a way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck in the 5k, B. I'd be optimistic based on that 3x1k session. Nice going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Having a look at the previous week alone, with any sort of taper/freshness going into the 5k I would expect sub 20 to be well within reach!? Best of luck, looking forward to it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Singer wrote: »
    Yeh... I've been throwing some fastish miles in near the end of a few of them. I have loads of amazing excuses - it's not my fave time of the day to run, my bag tends to be pretty full with laptop and clothes, and it's slow getting going through town etc. etc. etc. Making more use of the run commutes is definitely a good plan :)

I bring clothes in the day before & leave them in work so my bag is as light as possible (wallet - always very light :p, phone, keys, lippy...)

best of luck in the 5k!! you'll smash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Singer wrote: »
    I passed Bungy in Drumcondra but (I hope) she didn't see me and sailed on by :)

Sorry! Must have been in my own world, I'm normally good for acknowledging other runners.

Best of luck on Sunday, no doubt you will smash it, it's just a question of by how much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good luck on Sunday Singer, as others have said - you look to have your target time well within your reach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Will be in to see the race as the young fella at home has entered at the last minute. Will give you a shout out and the best of luck B at smashing that pb.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the words of encouragement! Hopefully I'll have a good, painful run on Sunday :)

Today I did the same Strava segment around St. Stephen's Green and knocked 14 seconds off last week's time :eek: :cool:. I was very rested having taken two rest days, but I felt a lot more in control compared to last week and able to surge at times - I think the recent fast running definitely made this a lot easier. It was a nice confidence booster though I'm definitely not counting my chickens.

Also, if all the actually fast runners reading this could avoid running around St. Stephen's Green entirely for the rest of time it'd be really appreciated. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck Sunday, I'm sure you'll smash it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck for Sunday Singer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Give it socks Sunday B best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow B, whats the target?

Good luck tomorrow! Sub-20 and/or bust!! :)

Good luck, B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck. Have a good one. ENJOY!!!

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow B, whats the target?
    Good luck tomorrow! Sub-20 and/or bust!! :)

Anna got it in one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck tomorrow! I have no doubts you'll run a smashing race! :D

• Advertisement

Great time B - was in town but didn't spot you, you were obviously moving too fast. Brilliant stuff, knew you would do it.

Great stuff, you nailed it! Looking forward to the report.

Great stuff, you nailed it! Looking forward to the report.

Thanks! :)

19:32 chip time! Race report to follow, but first some PB beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Well done today! Enjoy your new PB and the beers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on your PB.
    I always knew that you would run sub 20 but you really nailed it today, well done B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great stuff, well done on the sub 20 and pb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Super stuff B well done on the pb that's a great milestone to get sub 20. Well done enjoy the beers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Deadly, well done! Enjoy the beers, no falling over now :p:D

now get on a plan and race you to sub 19 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Well done B, amazing time (you totally smashed it!) and very well deserved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats B. You gave it everything out there on the course today - very satisfying with that new pb.

Advertisement