Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight Pride

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

What the hell is intersexed

Its like a tracker mortgage, except it was born as a fixed rate one.

What the hell is intersexed

Hermaphodite, according to what Google says, but apparently that's offensive to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

So it's essentially a pointless term?

Cisgender is used to avoid people offending other people. If every gender has a title then no one can refer to themselves as "normal," thus implying that others are - "abnormal."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its like a tracker mortgage, except it was born as a fixed rate one.

What's a tracker mortgage?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Why doesn't such a thing exist?

Same way as "being-right-handed"-Pride doesn't exist.
    Left handed people are in the minority but are not in the slightest bit treated differently, with suspicion or discriminated against. There are no cases of mobs of right-handed people daubing hate slogans on the walls of a left-handed person's home or calling them names like "ya left-handed spastic" before beating the tar out of them.
    If there were such episodes then I would imagine left-handed people would feel the need to have a parade to demonstrate that they are not ashamed of holding a guitar the other way around or smudging the ink a little once in a while when they write with a quill. And then right-handed people might question why there is no "being-right-handed"-Pride Day.

Of course there was a time when lefthanders were demonised as if they were bloody devil's children or some crap but those days are over.

What's a tracker mortgage?

It's a mortgage for stalkers.

Cisgender is used to avoid people offending other people. If every gender has a title then no one can refer to themselves as "normal," thus implying that others are - "abnormal."

So if I refer to myself as male then I'll be offending someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I'd like to have a bacon pride day....cos you know, bacon!

Can I suggest the South Circular Road (Dublin) as part of the parade route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Pretty soon I'm going to have to refer to myself as a straight Caucasian human who self identifies as a man, in a male body.

smash wrote: »
    Pretty soon I'm going to have to refer to myself as a straight Caucasian human who self identifies as a man, in a male body.

Just wait until cloning. Then you'll be an alpha cisgender male v. 1.0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

smash wrote: »
    Guess you're a homophobic racist like me then...

Not even remotely offended. Ergo, no parade required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

In general because straight people are the establishment and had nothing to protest.

Gay pride is about raising visibility of the gay community. Remember it was effectively illegal to be gay here until the mid 1990s and marriage rights were only established two weeks ago.

Gay pride festivals are similar to Patrick's Day festivals and there are a lot of parallels actually. It's about a group of people who were looked down upon and mocked - the Irish in the U.S. in the old days or gay people more recently.

Both are about grabbing that identity, taking control of it and making it your own and turning mocked negative things into positive symbols.

If anyone should be able to understand gay pride parades it's the Irish! We did and do exactly the same thing and it worked amazingly well!!

One thing you can be 100% certain of is that no matter what you refer to yourself as someone, somewhere, will choose to be offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

The females that want to be males would be jealous of your boasts?

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Gay pride is about raising visibility of the gay community.

Yes. They have been all but invisible lately and really need to raise the profile a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

lizzyman wrote: »
    Oppression is the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner

So that's a no then, sorry.
    I presumed he was referring to many No voter's strict Catholic upbringing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yes. They have been all but invisible lately and really need to raise the profile a bit.
    Then again 700,000 people did try to rain on their parade, as the no campaign were only too happy to constantly remind us of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Perhaps the OP can give examples of times/places where hetrosexual people have faced stigma, oppression, discrimination, persecution and violence on a massive scale ?

Na thought not.

Pink doesn't suit me, so f**king there.
    The act of being gay discriminated against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Because the Stonewall Riots didn't affect the Straight Community, nor were Straight bars being shut down or people arrested for going to them. People believed that there were very few gay people (if they existed at all!) so the point of the parades was visibility of people who were otherwise invisible. People felt safer in a crowd.

As a concept Pride was ultimately a counter-movement to the shame imposed on gay people in previous decades as well as a very public rejection of that shame. I believe the word was borrowed from Black Pride which itself was a response to a world that generally saw Black/African culture as lesser than white culture, particularly in colonial countries.

The concept of Pride is to embrace a part of yourself that society discourages or disproves of, as well as celebrate the History of the Movement. So what would a Straight Pride Parade achieve? What would you be highlighting awareness of? What are Straight people trying to overcome or what Status-quo are you challenging?

I'm not saying you can't have one (you can) but having a Parade just for the sake of having one too is largely fruitless. Everyday is Straight Pride Day by comparison, straight people wear their sexuality on their sleeves in a way that they don't even notice because it's so prevalent. Everytime you mention your gf or bf, or mention which celebrity you think is hot, your telling someone indirectly that your straight. But if I were to do the same thing, some people react as if I'm making a political statement.

Ultimately Gay Pride will be unnecessary & irrelevant and i look forward to that day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Is this another thread where people are offended by people being offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well, until people stop using terms like gay, queer, f****t etc as terms of insult in English and other languages and until they stop throwing gay people off buildings in parts of the Middle East and until various countries in Eastern Europe stop persecuting gay people there's a LONG way to go!

Dimithy wrote: »
    Is this another thread where people are offended by people being offended?

I am deeply offended by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Why do we need a Straight Pride Parade? Everyone is welcome at Gay Pride, well everyone who is there to celebrate and have fun. Come on, lets admit it, nobody throws a better parade than the gays. :D I mean that as a positive thing, just in case anyone thinks I'm being sarcastic. :)

, nobody throws a better parade than the gays.

Actually, the only people who DO throw a better parade than "the gays" is the Russian military. Oh, the ironing is delicious! :D:D:D Maybe they should get together sometime? Start a competition of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

DeadHand wrote: »
    Why should I?
    Well it would substantiate what you're saying. As a heterosexual person I cannot think of any reason why my sexuality would be used to discriminate against me. There being gay bars doesn't count - heterosexual people can attend them, and they originated at a time when being out was a lot less safe than it is now. They're also places where it's easier for gay people to meet fellow gay people to get together with. There is only a tiny fraction of them in comparison to "regular" bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

The people who voted no weren't necessarily homophobes or awful people, but the people who ran the No campaign were unspeakable.

And lumping gay pride in with white pride is monumentally offensive. I'm a straight while cisgender male, and in terms of how I get treated by the rest of the world, I'm massively different to people who don't fit that description. I have never been scared that I might be assaulted for holding my wife's hand in public. I have never been assumed to be a potential criminal because of my whiteness. I have never been treated as a woman on the basis of the genitals I was born with. I have never had my opinion treated as less valid because I'm a man.

Pride from a minority perspective is a reaction to decades or centuries of social structures and norms that define those minorities as inferior. Pride from the perspective of those in power is a reaction to demands for equality. They're not remotely the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I think the straight pride campaign may have it's first martyr.

Openly straight scientist in twitter storm
    [nobel prize winer]Tim Hunt, an English biochemist :“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls … three things happen when they are in the lab … You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticise them, they cry.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Why do we need a Straight Pride Parade? Everyone is welcome at Gay Pride, well everyone who is there to celebrate and have fun. Come on, lets admit it, nobody throws a better parade than the gays. :D I mean that as a positive thing, just in case anyone thinks I'm being sarcastic. :)
    Couldn't agree more! Pride is always a great time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So... They shouldn't have had parades for the past 30 plus years incase there was a marriage referendum in 2015?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We should probably have a Straight Shame parade. Cisgender breeders could don hair shirts and manacles and walk down o'connoll street weeping their lamentations as the LGBTXQVR7K community throw rotten fruit and hiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

My jokes about all this aside, it's a bit daft to throw any sort of a strop about not having a Straight Pride parade. When one marginalised group wants to celebrate their whatever, the rest of the community can join out of interest, to find out more, or just to take part. But then saying "why can't we have one!" is a bit childish.

Why do we need one? What exactly are we trying to show? Everyone knows we exist. Where are we marginalised? Why do we need a safe zone? The world is set up in our favour, why try to claim a particular celebration of groups that don't necessarily have our default protection? It's not so much that it's illegal to have one, it's just rather bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Actually, the only people who DO throw a better parade than "the gays" is the Russian military. Oh, the ironing is delicious! :D:D:D Maybe they should get together sometime? Start a competition of some sort?

There are all sorts of images going through my head.
    I am not sure why Lieutenent Gruber from Allo Allo popped into my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

hairycakes wrote: »
    Are they though? Not every person who voted no was/is an awful person. They just had different belief systems to you (and me for that matter). Of course, there were some awful people voting no. But don't be as bigoted as them by tarring all no voters with the one brush.

As for Straight Pride, Gay Pride, Black Pride, White Pride, etc; it's the categories that we put ourselves in that keeps us apart. Everyone is different and it's a great thing to be proud of your difference but it is also the thing that keeps people separated. I'm a straight, white woman and I'm no different to a gay, black man. We are both people and isn't it great that we both have the capacity to love another person. How about People Pride?! Hopefully not too many animals will feel left out.

And their belief was that same sex relationships are lesser, unequal and undeserving of the protections and benefits their own relationships enjoy.

That's not a polite disagreement, it's making a baseless and prejudices judgment and seeking to restrict rights and entitlements on the basis of said judgment.

Holding such beliefs doesn't necessarily make you an awful person - but it certainly evidence that could be used to build a case. There's not really anyway to holds house views and come off with any credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

My intention was not offend, it was to show that all the boxes we put ourselves in, all the labels we use, serves to separate us from each other and make us only see our differences. We seem to be losing sight of the fact we are all people regardless. All flesh and bone. It's celebrating our sameness that will change the world, not our differences.

Bull****. Utter bull****.

If we can't celebrate or embrace our difference, how can minorities ever meaningfully maintain their identity.

Equality and acceptance doesn't mean conformity. Quite the opposite. It means respecting people's right not conform, and ensuring they will have equal rights and protections while doing so.

In your world of sameness, we can't celebrate St Patrick's Day outside of ireland - heck even within ireland as he's a christian Saint. Many irish people are not christian.

It means we can't celebrate Christmas or Easter. Or Chinese new year. Or Africa Day. Or any other non-generic cultural event.

That's a pretty **** world.

We seem to be losing sight of the fact we are all people regardless. All flesh and bone. It's celebrating our sameness that will change the world, not our differences.

The implication here - which you might not intend but is worth correcting anyway in case anyone is picking it up aside from me - is that one somehow precludes the other.

I see a healthy celebration of BOTH as being what will change the world. Not one over the other or - even worse - one precluding the other. I see our differences and diversity as being PART of our sameness. And this is not as paradoxical as it might first sound. Our individuality and diversity IS what makes us all the same - because we all have it. A celebration of our individuality and differences and diversity IS therefore a celebration of what makes us all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

We should probably have a Straight Shame parade. Cisgender breeders could don hair shirts and manacles and walk down o'connoll street weeping their lamentations as the LGBTXQVR7K community throw rotten fruit and hiss.
    An "imagined persecution" parade maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

I'm all for a Straight Pride, there will always be a minority of people who don't understand what Pride is about, no matter how many times it's explained to them, so they should organise their own parade.

I'm willing to throw a few euros into their crowdfunding pot if it will stop straight men who've never been discriminated against for their gender or sexuality, stop moaning that they are still in the same position they have always been in. Maybe they could put laminate flooring down on O'Connell Street and paint all of the shop fronts magnolia for their special day, as long as they put it all back to normal afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Pretty sure you're describing the BDSM Parade that takes place every April…

Seriously, though. Why do you think Gay Pride equates to Straight Shame? Do you feel that Gay Pride somehow has a direct effect on your heterosexuality? Was someone from the LGBT community once pass remarkable about your shirt and pants combination? I think you really need to get over yourself…

Trudiha wrote: »
    I'm all for a Straight Pride, there will always be a minority of people who don't understand what Pride is about, no matter how many times it's explained to them, so they should organise their own parade.

I'm willing to throw a few euros into their crowdfunding pot if it will stop straight men who've never been discriminated against for their gender or sexuality, stop moaning that they are still in the same position they have always been in. Maybe they could put laminate flooring down on O'Connell Street and paint all of the shop fronts magnolia for their special day, as long as they put it all back to normal afterwards?

Pretty sure you're describing Middle Aged Lady pride. Just throw in some bowls of pot pourri.

Straight Pride would involve people talking a lot about soccer and Top Gear even if you don't follow them, getting your picture with the Stig, rating protein powders, looking shifty while telling risqué jokes and visiting the 'Would you look at that eejit' tent where you point and laugh at people who've drank too much or are trying to have a good time by dancing. Rounded off by declarations of 'You're sound, lad. I've always thought that!' and weird half hugs after a skinful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Straight Pride would involve people talking a lot about soccer and Top Gear even if you don't follow them, getting your picture with the Stig, rating protein powders, looking shifty while telling risqué jokes and visiting the 'Would you look at that eejit' tent where you point and laugh at people who've drank too much or are trying to have a good time by dancing. Rounded off by declarations of 'You're sound, lad. I've always thought that!' and weird half hugs after a skinful.

Sounds like every pub after work on a Thursday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

Daith wrote: »

Indeed it does but we wouldn't want to be culturally insensitive enough to mention it. Talking of different cultures, I've always found Jewish men to be fairly confident and at peace with themselves. I've got this theory that it's because they have a ceromoney to celebrate becoming men, they even get gifts. Once they've had their bar mitzvah, they never have to prove that they are men so they have no need to down 18 pints, talk loudly about football or sit with their legs akimbo on public transport.

Maybe Straight Man Pride could have a similar social outcome?

Trudiha wrote: »
    Indeed it does but we wouldn't want to be culturally insensitive enough to mention it. Talking of different cultures, I've always found Jewish men to be fairly confident and at peace with themselves. I've got this theory that it's because they have a ceromoney to celebrate becoming men, they even get gifts. Once they've had their bar mitzvah, they never have to prove that they are men so they have no need to down 18 pints, talk loudly about football or sit with their legs akimbo on public transport.

They just have to spend their adult lives in psychotherapy dealing with their neurosis…

Daith wrote: »

So we have Straight Pride every Thursday? Yay for us!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Tear stains on my stamp collection

Forgotten soul classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pretty sure you're describing the BDSM Parade that takes place every April…

Seriously, though. Why do you think Gay Pride equates to Straight Shame? Do you feel that Gay Pride somehow has a direct effect on your heterosexuality? Was someone from the LGBT community once pass remarkable about your shirt and pants combination? I think you really need to get over yourself…
    You've got me all wrong, chief.

I am satirising the guff you get from SJWs on tumblr.

SATIRE.

You've got me all wrong, chief.

I am satirising the guff you get from SJWs on tumblr.

SATIRE.

Tbf, it was so perfectly like the whinging you hear from some quarters that it was hard to read it as satire.

I never use tumblr so I never get to see that guff. I find that's all you need to make immeasurably better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Perhaps it's such narrow generalisations that a Straight Pride parade should be addressing. Am I forever to be perceived as a lout rather than louche just because I'm straight?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Perhaps it's such narrow generalisations that a Straight Pride parade should be addressing. Am I forever to be perceived as a lout rather than louche just because I'm straight?

No, we have to adhere to strict guidelines. Straight men like soccer and cars, straight women like pink and chocolate, gay men like tight clothes and Judy Garland and lesbians dress like men and like hiking. We have to stick with these stereotypes or society will crumble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Isn't every day straight pride? I hate to sound like a tumblerite but you're speaking from a position of privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

MrVestek wrote: »
    Isn't every day straight pride? I hate to sound like a tumblerite but you're speaking from a position of privilege.
    I think some people don't 'get' this thread.

Advertisement